Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN.com: Peyton Manning medically cleared to resume NFL career (multi-merged---see the latest Manning rumors/"me too" articles here)

mzkp54

there's a slight chance Indy keeps Peyton and still draft Luck but the smart thing to do is keep Peyton and trade their #1 pick for lots of starters and draft picks(and still draft Tanneyhill this year)

If the Colts keep Manning, they won't get Luck. Because if Manning is healthy and can play several more years, there is NO WAY Luck is going to want to sit on the bench all that time when he is being told, and he believes, he can play NOW. He will pull an Eli or an Elway (or at least threaten to, IMO).

Besides, you don't draft a QB with the top overall pick and sit him on the bench for 3-4 years. You expect him to play now.

The only way they get Luck is to get rid of Manning.

Trade Down, Manning and Wayne, WR in the 1st, QB and RT in 2nd, CB and LB in 3rd.

How's that for egg potential.

Not bad, but Manning and Wayne can still play for at least one more year. If they can do something like we did (focus on defense this draft) they'll be better off. They can get plenty of cogs for that new defense (Upshaw, Burfict, etc). Then next year they get the QB.

If the Colts keep Manning, they won't get Luck. Because if Manning is healthy and can play several more years, there is NO WAY Luck is going to want to sit on the bench all that time when he is being told, and he believes, he can play NOW. He will pull an Eli or an Elway (or at least threaten to, IMO).

Besides, you don't draft a QB with the top overall pick and sit him on the bench for 3-4 years. You expect him to play now.

The only way they get Luck is to get rid of Manning.

Exactly...I said slight chance as in 5%, as you have to imagine Irsay doesn't want to let go the 1 person who built your franchise.

$28 million is peanuts if Peyton can take them to the playoffs the next couple of years with the plethora of defensive starters/picks they can obtain for #1

he's been throwing to his WR's since Tues, so if they think his arm strength will improve, I say they trade down with a blockbuster deal

I really hope another thread hasent been made about this while i am typing this up, mods i apologize if this should be in another thread but anyway

According to ESPN Peyton Manning has been medically cleared by two doctors. He will resume his career.

He will be release by the colts i dont think there is any question about that.

Should the Redskins sign him? I dont think they should sign someone who will only play maybe 2-3 seasons but look what shanny did with Elway and Manning is much better then Elway

Discuss

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7534274/sources-peyton-manning-medically-cleared-resume-nfl-career

Manning is much better than Elway? Easy there bro.

Anyways, if healthy, yes i would take him. However, that doesn't mean I don't want a QB drafted in the early rounds which better happen regardless of whatever happens with Peyton Manning.

From what I've been reading being cleared to play does not mean the same as being effective like he once was. The nerve damage has caused weakness in his throwing arm. It could be perfectly safe for him to play, but it may not be the same ole Manning. Guess next comes the throwing tests. I still think its a long shot Indy pays him that bonus.

Everybody seems to be missing this point, which is spot on.

It is a completely valid statement bro.

Colts will lose a lot of fan revenue if Peyton leaves. Jerseys sell and he puts fans in seats. Right now Luck still has a lot to prove before ever being in the same sentence as Peyton Manning. 2c

Not if the nerve damage is permanent.

Exactly, its not muscle weakness we are talking about here. It's ineffective communication from the brain to the muscle. It could regrow fine and he get the strength back, but it might be the best its going to get right now.

Exactly, its not muscle weakness we are talking about here. It's ineffective communication from the brain to the muscle. It could regrow fine and he get the strength back, but it might be the best its going to get right now.

I understand that this is a possibility but just out of curiosity, do you have a reason to believe this to be the case? Is this just assuming the worst or is this the likely outcome?

I will say that of all coaches, Mike Shanahan is the right type of coach to take on a Peyton Manning type. I'd just be curious how the Peyton/Kyle S. relationship would be. Peyton, for whom most of his career has been under an old man offensive coordinator like Tom Moore(sp) in Indy, to then a young but brilliant x's and o's guy like Kyle who is pretty much Peyton's age or younger.

Anyways, if healthy, yes i would take him. However, that doesn't mean I don't want a QB drafted in the early rounds which better happen regardless of whatever happens with Peyton Manning.

I watched Elway plenty, I would rather have Peyton over Elway. As good as Elway was he did not have the smarts of Peyton IMO. Peyton made the Colts and Elway got the help around him to succeed, something Shanahan could repeat in Washington.

I say yes sign Peyton, move up and draft RG3 if you can. Let Peyton play and see what happens, we gots the benjamins to do this. RG3 can get ready and Peyton gets a year or two with a high salary to see what he can still do.

I would bet that whoever signs him will have to agree to also sign Wayne and Saturday.

Take Wayne and park Saturday as a backup, I don't see a problem?

---------- Post added February-2nd-2012 at 07:43 PM ----------

I love Manning, he is a heck of a QB but I don't want him in DC. I want a young QB who will be our franchise guy, not a 2-3 year guy like Peyton.

I want both, call me greedy, but it is about time the QB wheel-o-fortune spun our way.

Archived