Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Newsweek's Top Party Schools List

EersSkins05

Sorry I disagree. Most of the SEC schools are not great or even on par with state schools from other conferences. Vanderbilt is the only SEC school I can think of with high standards.

---------- Post added December-4th-2011 at 09:09 AM ----------

And UNC-C is not really a party school.

And UNC-C is not really a party school.

I can't comment because I never lived on campus, but I don't see why it needs to be. Why party on campus when 10 minutes down the road is downtown Charlotte with all the clubs and bars you could ask for, even for the sub-21 crowd.

I'm surprised to see it on the list at all, unless they are taking off-campus activities into account.

Being a party school is not a good thing. JMU was an awesome "party school" but that was by far it's weakest characteristic. On the one hand it's good to go to school with down to earth people, and not a bunch of pretentious pricks. But the level of alcoholism, drug abuse, and ignorance is astounding sometimes, and for the weak such an environment can be really corrupting. If/When I have kids I sure as **** won't send to a "party school. "

---------- Post added December-4th-2011 at 07:28 PM ----------

How many times do we have to go through this discussion, if you graduate from a BCS school you've done well for yourself

The notion of someone calling UCLA or Syracuse a garbage school almost makes me swoon out of this metallic chair here

---------- Post added December-4th-2011 at 08:01 AM ----------

Let's look over the list from an academic approach.

West Virginia University - ok academics

University of Alabama - ok academics

University of California-Los Angeles - one of the best academic schools in the United States

University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign - like all B1G schools, highly regarded academically

Syracuse University - good school

University of Michigan-Ann Arbor - one of the best schools in the nation

Texas Christian University - no comment

University of Vermont - no comment

University of Southern California - one of the best schools in the nation, in fact it ranks ahead of UCLA in the latest US News and World Reports rankings

Rollins College - ? Where?

Missouri Columbia - Alright

Rutgers University-New Brunswick - decent academically

Cornell University - one of the best academic schools in the nation

Pace University-New York - unheard of

University of Denver - never heard of

University of Oregon - outstanding academic school

Ohio State University - in order to keep my anti-OSU bias aside I will excuse myself from making judgement

George Washington University - great academic school

University of North Carolina at Charlotte - no comment

Duke University - one of the best academic schools in the nation

University of Maryland-College Park - outstanding academic program which amazingly hasn't been touched by Kevin Anderson's incompetence

Western Michigan University - no comment

University of Delaware - no comment

Georgia Southern University - no comment

SUNY College at Oswego - no comment

FWIW, nobody in California thinks USC is a better school than UCLA, unless of course they went to USC.

It's surprising that USC is ahead of UCLA but the US News and World rankings do not lie

I was surprised when I saw them too

What do you mean they don't lie? US News and World rankings is the third tier toilet of magazines. It's not like they are some objective beacon of truth.

But those collegiate rankings are pretty legit

More often than not, maybe, but there's a reason why the rankings change, it's not like hundred year old institutions are suddenly making dramatic changes, the magazines change their formulations to make it seem like there is neck and neck competition or something. I wouldn't put any more stock into it than just general comparisons.

• 1 year later...
East Carolina really doesn't get the credit it deserves for its academics. Yeah, we're in Chapel Hill and Duke's shadow, but we're not slouches, either.

Having said that, we do like to party, so I guess I can't complain too much.

For whatever its worth, the placement of the schools on that chart seems way off to me. Since when is Cornell lower ranked academically than.. well, any other school on that list? Since when is Villanova an academic powerhouse? Why is Tennessee so low and Georgia so high?

Answer: who cares? It's just grist for discussion.

JMU is nicely placed there on that map. That being said, I was at JMU for 7 years for undergrad and grad ... and spent many a weekends at UVA. UVA is okay party-wise, but nothing ever beat JMU. And the JMU women + the male/female ratio just completely trumps anything UVA can offer. So that's kind of a joke in my book.

Archived