Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Newsweek's Top Party Schools List

EersSkins05

East Carolina really doesn't get the credit it deserves for its academics. Yeah, we're in Chapel Hill and Duke's shadow, but we're not slouches, either.

Having said that, we do like to party, so I guess I can't complain too much.

You know what's funny is that all the people I know that went to ECU are all fairly smart and successful. They also all talk about all the drugs and alcohol and other things they saw at ECU. One of them grew up near there but wants to stay far away from there. It is a strange contrast.

On the other hand, the people I know that went to Virginia Tech talk about what a great school it is and how great the academics are. Yet EVERY person I've ever worked with that went to Virginia Tech was either utterly incompetent or extremely lazy. I work in IT and one of them didn't even know you could save a PDF much less how to.

Best looking coeds I ever saw were at Miami of Ohio. No joke. I have no idea why.

My cousin and his fiance are alums, and are getting married on campus this September. Now I'm even more excited to hit up the bars after the reception.

Seems way off to me as well.

#1, WVU should be about 2 inches directly up..

And W&M should be about a foot off to the right on the bottom axis.

#2, UVA is in the top 1/4 of party schools? I've been to UVA a bunch, it should be in the bottom 1/10th.

Their definition of "party" includes gang rape by the lacrosse team?

It saddens me that the place where I got my undergrad appears on that grid a few posts up, and is not considered academically rigorous. I mean, I already knew that, but seeing it in print hurts. Kind of glad the school where I got my MBA isn't on there at all.

The graph seems heavily affected by the size of the school, most of the one's near the top of the chart are also on the right of the chart, does that mean that the scholars are all partying every night? Probably not, seems most likely that there are large groups of academics and partiers at those schools, but not that they are necessarily the same group of students in each. Seems that what could be said about the schools at the top is, "you can find plenty of parties and books"....however...I echo the sentiment of one poster, what is the point of Kent State?

If you extend the x-axis a little more to the right, you'll see the label "Sausage Fest." There, playing beer pong with five of his best bros, you'll find Virginia Tech.

1.) This is true.

2.) This is funny.

3.) Seriously, this is true.

There is so much overrated at VT.

ECU is to North Carolina what JMU is to Virginia. Hot women, great parties, and good academics. Although I'll say this, when I graduated from HS back in 2005 most of the people that went to ECU were of the hottttt ditz/dumb blond/how the hell did they get in anywhere group. Granted, it's not like I ever knew their grades, I just assumed they were all partying their grades away in HS haha.

I still think JMU is well above ECU in the academics department, but more on par for the social life/party scene/athletics side of things

• 3 weeks later...

Colorado state trying to up their party school ranking:

Three sustain minor injuries from Fort Collins block party

CSU Dean of Students Jody Donovan, confirmed Sunday that the university is cooperating with Fort Collins Police Services’ ongoing investigation into Saturday night’s alcohol-fueled block party that descended into property damage, expletive-filled chanting and riot-clad police officers being pelted with beer bottles before responding with tear gas.

Fifteen police cars and a SWAT van were spotted responding to what a police officer said was an 800-person riot, just blocks from the southwest corner of the CSU main campus.

Click on the link for more

• 4 months later...

The latest party school list from Playboy:

'Playboy' picks its top party school: WVU

Here's a ranking that may hold as much importance as academic and sports rankings.

West Virginia University is No. 1. At least in Playboy's list of Top Party Schools of 2013, the men's magazine said Wednesday.

Parents, high school seniors and current students take note. It was the first time that the university, located in Morgantown, has topped the annual list, which Playboy has published for eight years.

What rated WVU? The magazine cited popular partying activities such as FallFest and St. Patrick's Day - as well as the anarchy that broke out last fall after West Virginia's football team defeated the University of Texas.

The top 10:

1. West Virginia University

2. University of Wisconsin

3. University of Colorado

4. University of Southern California

5. Florida State University

6. University of Texas

7. Louisiana State University

8. University of Georgia

9. Arizona State University

10. University of Maryland

Click on the link for the full article

There is so much overrated at VT.

ECU is to North Carolina what JMU is to Virginia. Hot women, great parties, and good academics. Although I'll say this, when I graduated from HS back in 2005 most of the people that went to ECU were of the hottttt ditz/dumb blond/how the hell did they get in anywhere group. Granted, it's not like I ever knew their grades, I just assumed they were all partying their grades away in HS haha.

I still think JMU is well above ECU in the academics department, but more on par for the social life/party scene/athletics side of things

Just got around to viewing this.

Those ditzy/frat boy types often don't graduate. Back when I was a freshman, the threshold for acceptance was low, but the rubber really hit the road when you actually start your classes. You better be ready to buckle down and study, especially if you were in certain majors.

I think they've raised the bar on acceptance recently, but that's how it was when I started. 

3. University of Colorado

been there quite a few times.  its only 20 minutes from Denver, in Boulder.

my coworker played football there 15 years ago, so he freqeuents a lot of events and sometimes takes me with him.  I must say....they party pretty hard. 

It's a great list for curmudgeon employers like me to know which resumes to put straight in the trash and not interview.

So you'd throw a Cornell resume in the trash now?

Best looking coeds I ever saw were at Miami of Ohio. No joke. I have no idea why.

There was a thread a few years back basically talking about where the hottest women in the country were. One of the mods, Zoony(?) said his vote was for Ohio for hottest women in general. Never made sense to me either. 

So why would anyone go to Kent State?

Some people need to be the buzz kills in society. 

Couple points on hot women. I don't mean to blanket-statement these things, but I have found that southern women are absolutely gorgeous ... and peak right around 18-20 ... then they start to put on weight. All that potential down the drain! Now that's an unfair blanket statement, sure ... but I like me a good fit, healthy, active woman. Ironically, the hottest girls end up being those that played sports in HS. Hell, most of those nerdy track and cross country girls end up being the bombshells in their 20's and 30's cause they can hold it together when the rest fall apart.

Minnesota, I've heard, is tops for women. That's where all the Swedes went when they emigrated.

So you'd throw a Cornell resume in the trash now?

There was a thread a few years back basically talking about where the hottest women in the country were. One of the mods, Zoony(?) said his vote was for Ohio for hottest women in general. Never made sense to me either. 

Some people need to be the buzz kills in society. 

In my experience, it's not the whole state of Ohio, just that one college - Miami of Ohio.

Archived