Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Time to Cut Antwan Randle Banks

SkinsCrushCowboys

Banks is leading the league in total kickoff return yards.

Well yea do you remember a time when he actually took a knee? Maybe one time, he is always bringing the ball (from deep in the endzone) to the 10 or 15, while most other's are taking a knee, so I assume thats why he is leading the league in kick off returns. It would be more interesting to see where he is at among other's in punt returns.

Banks is leading the league in total kickoff return yards.

This is why I stick to the Tailgate.

---------- Post added October-16th-2011 at 09:28 PM ----------

No reason to be negative about him. Every time he brings the ball out and is stopped short of a touchdown the man looks pissed. He's due for a touchdown eventually.

His average is 24.3, almost a full yard less than Devin Thomas' average.

Same stats I'm looking at on NFL.com. Has 18 returns,(#1),437 yards,(#1),and a 24.3 average,(#29). That last one however,is a bit misleading. As only 5 guys ahead of him have had 10 or more returns. Devin Thomas is the closest with 15 returns.

I got ya, I was looking at ESPN which were going into today's game and wasn't updated with today's stats. But I would say the yardage is just as misleading considering the number of returns are so much more. And being #1 in returns doesn't mean anything at all really, that's a function of the defense as much as anything Banks is doing (and/or his penchant for wanting to return it out of the endzone). And he's probably returning it out of the endzone more because he feels he's not doing anything. He's only on the team for one thing and it's not taking touchbacks.

So his stats went up in KRs after today's game and down in PRs after today. But do they count the yardage out of the endzone? So for example, if he returns it from 8 yards deep in the endzone to the 20, is that a 28 yard return or a 20 yard return?

I'll admit that the thread title made me laugh, but that said I pretty much knew that the rule changes were going to limit Banks' effectiveness. I sometimes wonder if teams will start trying to return kickoffs with a bruiser in the near future. It seems like you have to be as tough as BMitch to even have a shot at breaking through.

This is crazy talk.

In the general sense I agree. No special teams coach is scared by Brandon Banks. No one's going to be kicking away from Brandon Banks. He's not and will never be Devin Hester or Tedd Ginn...but

He's averaging 24.3 yards/kick (9th in the league for players with a minimum of 10 kick returns) and 9.3 yard/punt(12th in the league for players with a minimum of 10 punt returns). That's not a guy you cut so you can activate a guy from the practice squad.

Brandon Banks is a product of the Washington Redskins! We found him. We had faith in him. I'll be damned if I'd rather have a cast-off, former Bear than some homegrown talent.

Give e'm hell Brandon!

Hail

AMEN! Brother! I couldn't agree more! Best post in this thread. Hail.

---------- Post added October-17th-2011 at 12:06 AM ----------

Banks has been awful the past 3 games. I'm willing to give it a couple more games, but he doesn't contribute in any other area so he has to make more plays

Wait. You're gonna cut him? I thought the OP was gonna cut him!? :whoknows:

I've gotta keep better track of who's in charge of personnel around here.

You could build a pretty damn good football team with all the people so-called fans have said "need to be cut" based on a few games here or there.

"BANKS HASN'T RUN BACK TOUCHDOWNS IN EVERY SINGLE GAME THIS YEAR, IT'S TIME TO CUT HIM!"

Seriously, these threads pop up once a week. It's frakking ridiculous.

We're not cutting Banks. Period. Quit complaining about him and start complaining about his teammates blocking, which has sucked.

Well he did some good job to me yesterday.

He's always trying to make a play out of a KR. Doesn't work all the way, but at least he's trying to take it to the house. I'm ok with that. I can understand he'll never score a TD on every PR and KR he's involved in.

The change in the rule has hurted him in terms of LOS after the return, but he's still doing the same job than last year.

If there wasn't for this rule change, everyone will still be overhyped about him.

Banks isn't nearly as bad as Randle-El was returning kicks. But, every time I see Banks return a kick, I'm just expecting him to fumble. I do think that the novelty of Banks has worn-off and ST coordinators are probably also thinking that they can make him fumble. Ideally, the return man should also play other positions, such as WR, RB, CB, but Banks just isn't suited for any position other than PR/KR. He's not THE problem right now, but he will always be on the bubble until somebody else comes along.

I like Banks. He is a threat to break one and hasn't mishandled anything back there this year from what I can recall. Didn't he have a great game against the Giants that helped out significantly with field position? He was not one of the negatives to be taken out of yesterdays game.

He never scared d coordinators. And he is still a threat to go the distance. What would we gain by cutting him? Is there a better returner on the roster?

Um, we'd get an extra roster spot. We're going to need to call up Mo Hurt after we IR Lichtensteiger, and it would be nice to get Eric Olsen up as well so that there is some depth there. Banks and Stallworth both need to go in my opinion.

EDIT: And right now, Banks is barely getting to the 20 yard line, and most aren't making it that far. Niles Paul and Terrance Austin can beat that by taking a knee.

The only thing Banks is good for right now is the facemask penalties, but the refs don't even call all of those so why keep him?

This may or may not have been mentioned, but didn't feel like reading 5 pages, sorry lazy and haven't slept in a couple of days. I don't blame Banks for not taking one the distance. If everyone who's blaming Banks thinks about it, we've had some guys that were great returners, but sucked for us. Maybe, the person that should be cut loose is Danny Smith, the ST's coach.

Archived