Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Time to Cut Antwan Randle Banks

SkinsCrushCowboys

When Brandon Banks takes a kickoff to the house in the next few games, this thread will be bumped. This always happens on ES, some donk makes a topic like this. This website makes Redskins fans sound like Philly fans.

Scoring a TD each year doesn't make you a good KR, it makes you potentially explosive. Rock Cartright has scored a KR TD once. If Banks consistently gets us good starting field position, that's more important to me than him scoring once per year and starting us inside the 20 on most other returns.

His punt returns were minimal yesterday, but he had two kickoff returns to the 30 or past it...from more than 5 yards deep in the endzone. Most teams don't have a guy with the ability (or permission) to take a KO out no matter how deep it is and be successful with it, but usually he is.

The nature of the position is that he will not be great every time, but he is pretty is pretty consistant in inproving our field position and seems to have at least one long (30+) return every game, which is better than a lot of teams. Improve the blocking in front of him and he'll do even better.

When Brandon Banks takes a kickoff to the house in the next few games, this thread will be bumped. This always happens on ES, some donk makes a topic like this. This website makes Redskins fans sound like Philly fans.

Just saying, he's only had 1 return TD in his career. Yet ES seems to think he does it every other game. His burst appears gone (possibly from his knee issue in preseason). Coverage units seem to have figured out how to guard against him.

That said, I'm not ready to cut ties with him, but I'm entertaining the idea if Banks can't get his burst back in a few games.

Um, we'd get an extra roster spot. We're going to need to call up Mo Hurt after we IR Lichtensteiger, and it would be nice to get Eric Olsen up as well so that there is some depth there. Banks and Stallworth both need to go in my opinion.

EDIT: And right now, Banks is barely getting to the 20 yard line, and most aren't making it that far. Niles Paul and Terrance Austin can beat that by taking a knee.

The only thing Banks is good for right now is the facemask penalties, but the refs don't even call all of those so why keep him?

I don't understand why we need to replace 1 OL with 2 OL.

Banks is a threat, he just needs blocking.

Just saying, he's only had 1 return TD in his career. Yet ES seems to think he does it every other game. His burst appears gone (possibly from his knee issue in preseason). Coverage units seem to have figured out how to guard against him.

That said, I'm not ready to cut ties with him, but I'm entertaining the idea if Banks can't get his burst back in a few games.

I think that's exactly it.

HAHAHAHAHA I love these threads after losses. People have absolutely no idea what they are talking about and want a scapegoat for whatever reason they can think of. Banks is the ONLY player on our roster who is a threat to take it to the house every time he touches the ball. But SURE lets cut him, he sucks. Because we know how much wisdom these emotional fans possess, especially after tough divisional losses. Im sure a number of other teams would love to have Banks and would snatch him up in a heartbeat. But sure lets cut him and sign some bum Olineman who will probably never even see the field. Thats how championships are won there son:rolleyes:

He doesn't take it out, the refs don't call a holding penalty. Simple.

That is one of the stupidest things I've ever heard. I don't even want to argue it with you because it was that stupid... I'm at a loss for words.... It's HIS fault that the people blocking for him held? I guess it's the running backs fault Olineman hold or the QB's for dropping back to pass?!?

That is one of the stupidest things I've ever heard. I don't even want to argue it with you because it was that stupid... I'm at a loss for words.... It's HIS fault that the people blocking for him held? I guess it's the running backs fault Olineman hold or the QB's for dropping back to pass?!?
The point is not that he himself engaged in holding, but rather he GAVE A CHANCE for the refs to call holding(awful call btw).

You don't take it out, you don't risk ****ing holding. You don't drive, you don't risk getting in a car accident? Comprende? It might not be his fault his blockers hold, but if you deem it likely your return isn't better than a ****ing touchback and that a penalty can occur, you TAKE the touchback because penalties DO NOT HAPPEN on touchbacks. The refs were flaky this game and were a flag-happy group. Don't call me stupid when you can't comprehend the nuances of what is being said.

The point is not that he himself engaged in holding, but rather he GAVE A CHANCE for the refs to call holding(awful call btw).

You don't take it out, you don't risk ****ing holding. You don't drive, you don't risk getting in a car accident? Comprende? It might not be his fault his blockers hold, but if you deem it likely your return isn't better than a ****ing touchback and that a penalty can occur, you TAKE the touchback because penalties DO NOT HAPPEN on touchbacks. The refs were flaky this game and were a flag-happy group. Don't call me stupid when you can't comprehend the nuances of what is being said.

I understood what you said, it's still stupid. And I didn't call you stupid, I said your post was stupid. Don't say I called you stupid when you can't comprehend the nuances of what I said.

I understood what you said, it's still stupid. And I didn't call you stupid, I said your post was stupid. Don't say I called you stupid when you can't comprehend the nuances of what I said.
Fine. You didn't call me stupid.

I will try to clarify, but I doubt you will care about my explanation, you will likely prefer your superior "intuitions" over any explanation.

He doesn't take it out, the refs don't call a holding penalty

The original sentence was based on a simple idea: Penalties do not occur on touchbacks. No where did I say Banks was directly responsible for holding. Your quip was that I was imparting blame on Banks for the holding itself, not that penalties do not occur on touchbacks.

The point is that he gave the refs a chance to call a penalty. He gave his teammates a CHANCE to commit holding. He gave the a chance to DO their respective acts. The matter is not whether he is directly at fault; of course he isn't since he cannot control their minds. It is that he risked the refs and his teammates giving us "negative yards" when the "profit" of taking it out would have been minimal over the "profit" of a touchback. In fact, even if there were no penalty, we would have started on the 10 yard line, so the "profit" this time would still have been LESS than a touchback.

I have been a Banks fan but at this point he is just a waste of a roster spot since he is not really good enough to line up as WR and we have injuries piling up. I would like to see Niles get a couple shots at returns sometime before completely cutting ties with Banks, but I don't see him lasting past this season or even the entire season if we get any more injuries and have to make roster room. I think Banks is pretty much a bubble guy for the rest of the year if there is more need for depth at another position.

I still think he is too one dimennsional to have a roster spot. With injuries kicking in and him only playing return (No WR, no special teams) I just think a roster spot (which are valuable as hell) are better served with players that can contribute on more than one area of the game.

I don;t think he he going to be cut or traded any time soon.

Hail

Gosh you all that want to get rid of Banks are nuts. I think some times he is the only one with any heart on the team. Trying to make a play to get the team going is a good thing. And there really is very little difference in the 15 and 20 at the start. But even when he runs it out 7-9 yards deep he gets to the 20 most times.

Every team is running kicks out of the endzone now, this isn't just a Brandon Banks thing. The 15 yard line is the new 20.

Now why is it that we want to cut him? So we can sign back-up guards off the scrap heap? When did 3rd string o-line become more important than kick returners? For that matter, when did #7 wide receivers become more important than kick returners?

Or maybe I'm missing something, and this is just one of those "We lost a game, so let's cut players out of spite" threads. If that's the case then it's all good, and I nominate Gano for cutting.

Tired of him running out of the endzone when he's a good 5+ yards deep. I can understand if he's a yard or two, but the guy needs to be smarter.

I have a feeling that it isn't his decision to run it out of the endzone. I'm sure he wants to, but I bet the coaching staff has told him to do what he wishes even when he receives it deep. You know he is going to get back to the 15 atleast 90% of the time, so why not take a chance and bring it out everytime... the more chances you have the higher probability that he breaks one 30 or 40 yards.. I like that we take it out everytime.

Every team is running kicks out of the endzone now, this isn't just a Brandon Banks thing. The 15 yard line is the new 20.

Now why is it that we want to cut him? So we can sign back-up guards off the scrap heap? When did 3rd string o-line become more important than kick returners? For that matter, when did #7 wide receivers become more important than kick returners?

Or maybe I'm missing something, and this is just one of those "We lost a game, so let's cut players out of spite" threads. If that's the case then it's all good, and I nominate Gano for cutting.

wrong, it is not a cut out of spite thread, . The point is maybe with needs elsewhere his roster spot could be better used elsewhere as opposed to a player who only plays as a return person.

Unfortunately, Banks hasn't been the same since he got the arthroscopic knee surgery.

However, the major questions are:

1. Who will be PR and KR?

2. Who will we be cutting him for that can help out more?

As much as he hasn't been great he hasn't been terrible either. He's certainly better than whoever we would consider bringing up onto the roster for now.

The original sentence was based on a simple idea: Penalties do not occur on touchbacks. No where did I say Banks was directly responsible for holding. Your quip was that I was imparting blame on Banks for the holding itself, not that penalties do not occur on touchbacks.

The point is that he gave the refs a chance to call a penalty. He gave his teammates a CHANCE to commit holding. He gave the a chance to DO their respective acts. The matter is not whether he is directly at fault; of course he isn't since he cannot control their minds. It is that he risked the refs and his teammates giving us "negative yards" when the "profit" of taking it out would have been minimal over the "profit" of a touchback. In fact, even if there were no penalty, we would have started on the 10 yard line, so the "profit" this time would still have been LESS than a touchback.

Touchdowns or long returns don't happen on touchbacks either. The benefit of taking the ball out outweighs the potential negatives. Does it really matter if we start on the 17 or the 20? Most teams are taking this tact now and are returning kicks that they might not have last year.

Unfortunately, Banks hasn't been the same since he got the arthroscopic knee surgery.

However, the major questions are:

1. Who will be PR and KR?

2. Who will we be cutting him for that can help out more?

As much as he hasn't been great he hasn't been terrible either. He's certainly better than whoever we would consider bringing up onto the roster for now.

Agreed. I think people have forgotten how bad our punt returns were before he got here. Plus there's always the threat that he actually will break one. Personally I think it's only a matter of time before he does. But even if he doesn't he's a solid returner.

Oh my god, will some of you people just permanently log off so we can enjoy this site? Beside Hester, how many return guys return more than 1 kick/punt a year? Jeez our fans can be so stupid sometimes.

no one expects TD's when he touches the ball, he is taking a roster spot when may better used elsewhere, Enjoy the site ;)

Archived