Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Walking Dead Season 7 --Discuss material from the Walking Dead and Talking Dead TV shows ONLY.

steveo21

On 12/11/2017 at 1:06 PM, Momma There Goes That Man said:

A lot of talk was that Chandler wanted to go to college and was written off the show. Seems like it was completely the writers idea. 

Hide contents

Which is crazy because the comics are Carl’s story and the show is clearly going in a completely opposite direction. I’m pretty shocked that hey voluntarily did this and not at the actor’s request 

He can do college at any freaking time. He's an actor on a very popular show, he can do college remotely if he really wanted to. And if he wants the "college experience", he could just go once the show is canceled in 2-3 years (yeah I said it). 

I think they noticed they were losing the audience and sacrificed him for shock value. 

20 hours ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Yeah he’s going to school in Auburn which is close to where they film anyway. He’s also only in a few episodes a half season (large parts) so I’m sure they could have figured out a schedule if they wanted him on. 

Soinds like they really want to branch away from the comics entirely too which I don’t think wil endear them to fans 

After this story arc, I think it would be in their best interest to do just that instead of continuing where the comics have gone. It's stale and boring as hell. 

1 hour ago, Gamebreaker said:

After this story arc, I think it would be in their best interest to do just that instead of continuing where the comics have gone. It's stale and boring as hell. 

Spoiler

I mean the prison/governor and Negan/AOW are the two peak moments of the comic. 

I think with Carl's death they are going to skip over the whisperers and all the locked up Negan/Carl (obviously) stuff. 

It would make sense to chart a new path but I dont know how well received it would be. At that point it's just TWD fan fiction. 

1 hour ago, Gamebreaker said:

He can do college at any freaking time. He's an actor on a very popular show, he can do college remotely if he really wanted to. And if he wants the "college experience", he could just go once the show is canceled in 2-3 years (yeah I said it). 

I think they noticed they were losing the audience and sacrificed him for shock value. 

Chandler Riggs did write a letter to the Talking Dead spoiler group requesting that they please not spoil his death. In this request he mentioned that it would be one of the "last few seasons" so maybe this thing is closer to wrapping up than we know. 

Just now, Gamebreaker said:

I'd really like to see them end the story with this group and move on to other actors, bring in a fresh cast and maybe have some sort of interaction with them.  Maybe a new government is set-up somewhere in the US or a new start in another country (Canada, Europe, etc.) and they have the capabilities to get there (plane, boats, etc.) and we see them rebuild society.

It's a fairly damning reflection of the state of the show right now that arguably the boldest idea they've had in ages has been met with such ambivalence. I guess that's the product of a show that thinks it's smarter than it really is, the trolling of fans with the dumpster storyline and the brain-bashing cliffhanger and the dilution of the plot to the point it's practically homeopathic. Yeah, some people tired of Carl a long time ago, but "oh, by the way I got bitten two episodes ago when no one was looking" is just outright disappointing. Here's hoping he holds it together long enough to go out in some sacrificial blaze of glory.

Unless this does mark a dramatic shift in the storyline from the comics, I think I'm done at the end of this season. Kirkman seems happy dragging out the comics for as long as he can, like a bunch of walkers dragging out the innards of some poor chump. Maybe that's fine for fans of the comic, but I can't sit through an eternity of a show that goes nowhere.

In any case, here's what I'd like to see from episode 9:

1. Some actions which have consequences that play out in the very same episode. 

2. The return of Dale in the formof a hallucination to tell a feverish Carl at death's door that he "should'be stayed in the house, Carl (how do you like it now, sucker?)".

It’s still just crazy stupid to me that Carl, an 8 season character brought up in the apocalypse, been shot in the stomach as a kid, shot in the eye as a teen, shot his mom etc, whose mom told him in her dying words “you will beat this world” got chomped while going against 5 walkers while he was carrying a gun and has a person to help. 

Thats really some bull****. If you’re going to kill him off, give a good way to be bitten. That was just ridiculous for his character, who is supposed to be a badass 

4 minutes ago, my_friend_goo said:

I guess that's the product of a show that thinks it's smarter than it really is, the trolling of fans with the dumpster storyline

I said it at the time and looking back I can still point to that moment as the point when this show went to ****. 

Now we have situations like Carl and we don’t care because we can’t trust what we see on the screen unless somebody’s head is bashed into hamburger meat. They lost all credibility and impact that deaths had in that one moment. It’s still inexcusable that he was able to survive that. It ruined the walkers beyond repair which kills the tension entirely. Why would anyone ever die from a walker bite after that?

Oh wait, we are supposed to believe Glenn can fall down in mosh pit of 40 walkers and casually slide under a dumpster before being eaten alive but Carl gets taken out by 3 walkers? 

Im sure there were cracks in the show before that point but that was honestly the last time I was truly engaged by this show and I thought that scene was excellent....until 6 episodes later when he slid under a dumpster. I’ve been detached from it ever since. 

Destroying all the the build up and payoff with the Negan cliff hanger only further pushed me away. 

6 hours ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

Im sure there were cracks in the show before that point but that was honestly the last time I was truly engaged by this show and I thought that scene was excellent....until 6 episodes later when he slid under a dumpster. I’ve been detached from it ever since. 

Destroying all the the build up and payoff with the Negan cliff hanger only further pushed me away. 

It's simple: if a show gives you great moments that hit you emotionally or raise your pulse, you can forgive it's flaws. But now, even presented with the opportunities to create these moments, the show just doesn't deliver.

I get why it had to be Glenn who tried to change Nicholas, who had to be there when he gave up and why he ultimately had to die at the hands of Negan to further Maggie's storyline. That the show's team couldn't come up with a better scenario where it seemed like Nicholas had created an inescapable scenario, only for Glenn to find a more plausible way out says a lot about them.

Likewise Negan's introduction. If they wanted to create an element of surprise, why not kill Abraham then and there, leaving the episode on a punchy comment from Negan, with everybody looking horrified. Fans have the chance to process Abraham's death, but comic readers are relieved that Glenn got off the hook. Then pick up with Daryl's foolish action in the next episode. In any case, fitting the whole lot in at the end of the episode would have had as great an impact. What they did served no real purpose other than to annoy fans. Of course, the outcome leaked anyway in spite of their efforts, which defeated the point of anything they were trying to achieve. 

So much potential for greatness, so sadly squandered. 

• 2 months later...

ok - I have questions / issues about last night.

1 - Can someone please tell the directors that starting with a zoomed in on someones face to show a emotional moment is getting old.  

2- if I remember correctly - the plan was the Rick and the group pulled up and shot up the saviors base.  Goal was to get them all in the open - kill a few to make them zombies, wait for the heard to come and surround them and then keep snipers to prevent anyone from escaping.  This is all correct right?

So now my questions 

1 - It took half a season for Eugene to come up with the great plan of "Lets shoot our way out".  Um..ok...

2- Morgan has a rife POINTING right out and some of the shooters in the windows - Why didnt she shoot them? Isnt that WHY he stayed behind to start with?  He simply gets on the radio and tells everyone else to run.  WHY did they even stay behind if not to shot anyone in the windows who tried this very thing??

3- Come to think of it - if their entire plan was to surround them with the dead, take up positions to be snipers, and wait for their surrender - why  didnt they keep almost everyone there?  

The answer to all of those questions is "because the writers suck." There is no reason why any of those things take place other than to push the plot along. They should've came up with a better, more well thought-out story than to expect the audience to keep ignoring how dumb the characters are being. 

5 minutes ago, Springfield said:

I turned to my wife last night, while Coral was dying for the 45th straight minute, and said, “This is boring.”

I thought we were going to get a full second half of the season of Coral dying the way it was going.

I've pretty much written this season off. I Hope They commit to better writing dept/script for 2018-2019.

They haven't come remotely close to the standard they have set in previous seasons, and in an age where clicking away and finding a better show is as easy ad it's ever been, they'd better get serious about it if they want to make it to even finishing this series off.

I'm curious to see the ratings from last night, and just how many people actually came back from the break. I initially did not want to watch, but did so anyway, and wasted an hr of my time.

The most anti climactic ending ever. 

A whole hour plus for that kid to die... jeez what a bore fest.

they have no idea anymore what to do. The only refreshing part was no Negan. He has totally ruined the show for me. It was fun for 10 mins but talk about over done.

And the talking dead has got to be the stupidest thing on tv, right?

It’s a therapy session for tv show carachters who die in a tv show. 

i mean it’s a show about zombies eating people and last night Morgan ripped out the intestines of a human being... they take this WAY too seriously. 

Its cringeworthy.

1 hour ago, Mr. Sinister said:

I've pretty much written this season off. I Hope They commit to better writing dept/script for 2018-2019.

They haven't come remotely close to the standard they have set in previous seasons, and in an age where clicking away and finding a better show is as easy ad it's ever been, they'd better get serious about it if they want to make it to even finishing this series off.

I'm curious to see the ratings from last night, and just how many people actually came back from the break. I initially did not want to watch, but did so anyway, and wasted an hr of my time.

It was so disappointing at all levels last night.  I get that it's AMC's cash cow still, but at some point, I would like to see some damn self-respect and dignity (from the network, directors, producers, writers, etc.) come into play and return the show to what made it into the huge success that it became.  

I'm still going to watch it, way too many years invested to not get any closure (however long that takes).  But I'm just not excited and pumped to watch it anymore like way back.  Hell, I was trying to rush the wife to start it so I didn't stay up too late to watch it.  

8 minutes ago, USS Redskins said:

The most anti climactic ending ever. 

A whole hour plus for that kid to die... jeez what a bore fest.

they have no idea anymore what to do. The only refreshing part was no Negan. He has totally ruined the show for me. It was fun for 10 mins but talk about over done.

And the talking dead has got to be the stupidest thing on tv, right?

It’s a therapy session for tv show carachters who die in a tv show. 

i mean it’s a show about zombies eating people and last night Morgan ripped out the intestines of a human being... they take this WAY too seriously. 

Its cringeworthy.

I never really get into any of the after show talk shows (like Talking Dead, etc.).  IIRC wasn't Sons of Anarchy the first show to do that?  Anyhow, I've watched a little of them over the past years and from time to time, there are some good interviews with the cast, writers, etc.  Not enough to draw me into watching it all the time or even finish an episode of that.  The only one I ever watched from start to finish was the one after the SoA series finale.  

I thought I was going to die before Carl did. Damn they stretched that out forever. And I hate to say it but man I expected more from Rick. Not Lincoln cuz he was great as always but I guess I wanted something more from the writing for Rick in this situation. It really fell flat to me and dragging it out so long really hurt the impact of his death. 

This show officially died for me the night Glenn slid under a dumpster. I still watch but it’s just to see how ridiculous and annoying it can be. Speaking of which, looks like we have more trash people this season. 

Oh and let me just say how excited I am for yet another ****ing season of should we kill/should we not, lose our humanity/keep our humanity arguing. This has been covered in literally every single season since the first episode so what the heck. It’s been covered so much multiple characters have flipped back and forth on each side of the debate several times. Hell last night we had the same debate happening in two different scenes at the same time. It’s like it’s the only intelligent motif they can come up with for this show and will just use it again and again until the end of time

Hbo turned this down. Geez I’d kill to see what they could do with this now. 

With each episode, it just makes me more and more grateful that AMC did not have creative control over Mad Men and Breaking Bad. Amen to that. 

5 hours ago, TMK9973 said:

2- if I remember correctly - the plan was the Rick and the group pulled up and shot up the saviors base.  Goal was to get them all in the open - kill a few to make them zombies, wait for the heard to come and surround them and then keep snipers to prevent anyone from escaping.  This is all correct right?

To be fair, this was the plan but Daryl ****ed it up by driving the truck into the sanctuary, essentially cutting in half the walkers that were outside (who had gone inside) and creating enough weakness outside to cut a path thru to escape. 

Now why Morgan just sat there and watch the guys in the windows mow all the walkers down...well, we all know why. The writing sucks 

3 minutes ago, Momma There Goes That Man said:

I thought I was going to die before Carl did. Damn they stretched that out forever. And I hate to say it but man I expected more from Rick. Not Lincoln cuz he was great as always but I guess I wanted something more from the writing for Rick in this situation. It really fell flat to me and dragging it out so long really hurt the impact of his death. 

This show officially died for me the night Glenn slid under a dumpster. I still watch but it’s just to see how ridiculous and annoying it can be. Speaking of which, looks like we have more trash people this season. 

Hbo turned this down. Geez I’d kill to see what they could do with this now. 

With each episode, it just makes me more and more grateful that AMC did not have creative control over Mad Men and Breaking Bad. Amen to that. 

It would most likely be more violent, have nudity if on HBO.  But, that aside, look how how ridiculous True Blood got towards the end.  I'll put in spoilers in case some haven't watched it yet.

Spoiler

TB started out so great, vamps, werewolves/shifters, whole concept/story was great.  Then they started dragging everything and created too many separate story lines and started to get away from the main characters at times (just like TWD) and crammed to many damn creatures/monsters in at one time.  We had to deal with Vamps, werewolves, fairies, shifters/skinwalkers, witches, mediums, maenad, brunjo (what the Jesus char was).  With so many going on at the same time. 

Have not watched True Blood but still. It won’t always be a HR but I think HBo has a better track record than most. 

I’ll take my chances. Ideally, they would have bought out the show right after season 5 when Rick gives his classic monologue at the fireside meeting in Alexandria and Morgan shows up at the end. That was the end of TWD for me. 

Seriously debating whether I should even watch next week.

I actually like Negan the character. I think where this went so wrong, is the absurd comic book villain-esque number of Saviors, strongholds and everything else. Just made him too overpowered.

I used to love Talking Dead, but at this point it's like State sponsored propaganda. Or the band play on the Titanic.

Just another dumb tv show like all dumb tv shows..but yeah its more boring then it ever was. The most hilarious  moments for me was the prison battle scene where  Darrell  uses a walker to deflect bullets while moving  forward and then  hook-shot lay ups  a grenade down a tank gun hole! From the very beginning  I just wanted to see= how do they finally end this whole thing? Some miracle?  They all die? All but one? They killed Glenn  and the army guy in one show ..I've lost interest since lol.

Although..I've they wanted to be real with the concept. They would have to keep killing people every 6 weeks and let the writing and special effects be what carries  it. No kid would last 8 years if this went down.

Lol , for that matter, a guy with a bat saying he was my leader or a leader of hundreds ,would have been shot in the head in the first week if he tried to boss people.

Archived