Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Homer: Redskins still not ready for primetime?

themurf

6115095704_28550565e0.jpg

(photo by Brian Murphy)

The Washington Redskins travel to Dallas to take on the Cowboys on Monday Night Football with a chance to improve their record to 3-0, while also gaining the upper hand on yet another divisional opponent.

Considering the Redskins haven’t been two games over .500 since 2008 that in itself is cause for celebration for anyone who has had to suffer through so unwatchable games over the last decade or so.

Yet, no one outside of the beltway region seems to think this year’s team is very good. Segments on both ESPN and the NFL Network this week have labeled the Redskins as “pretenders,” while unheralded teams such as the Buffalo Bills and Detroit Lions have been praised for their 2-0 start.

And why is that?

Because, too often, whenever the Redskins have a chance to make a statement in front of a national audience, they fall flat.

Look no further than Washington’s lone appearance on Monday Night Football last season, when Philadelphia quarterback Mike Vick accounted for six touchdowns by himself in a 59-28 route at FedEx Field.

If that’s the only game people outside of this area have to go off of, then why on earth would they go out of their way to praise the Redskins?

Toss in the constant change at head coach/offensive and/or defensive coordinator/quarterback and the always “enjoyable” meddlesome owner shtick, and it’s no wonder many so-called experts picked the Redskins to win just two or three games in 2011.

Until this team can go out and prove the critics wrong, this is tired storyline we’re all stuck with. The good news is the players in the Redskins locker room appear to understand the situation.

“My first year we went 4-12,” said linebacker Brian Orakpo. “The next year we went 6-10. We should be viewed as a sorry team. Expectations should be very low for this team. We just have to handle adversity; handle what everyone thinks of us and just go out there and fight.”

For as bad as the Redskins have been during Orakpo’s two seasons in Washington, the franchise has been even worse during primetime games – especially on Monday nights.

Here’s a breakdown of just how pitiful the franchise has been in primetime games since 2000:

Monday Night Football record: 3-11

Nov. 15, 2010: Redskins lose vs. Philadelphia Eagles, 59-28

Dec. 21, 2009: Redskins lose vs. New York Giants, 45-12

Oct. 26, 2009: Redskins lose vs. Philadelphia Eagles, 27-17

Nov. 3, 2008: Redskins lose vs. Pittsburgh Steelers, 23-6

Sept. 17, 2007: Redskins win at Philadelphia Eagles, 20-12

Sept. 11, 2006: Redskins lose vs. Minnesota Vikings, 19-16

Sept. 19, 2005 Redskins win at Dallas Cowboys, 14-13

Sept. 27, 2004: Redskins lose vs. Dallas Cowboys, 21-18

Sept. 16, 2002: Redskins lose vs. Philadelphia Eagles, 37-7

Oct. 15, 2001: Redskins lose at Dallas Cowboys, 9-7

Sept. 24, 2001: Redskins lose at Green Bay Packers, 37-0

Nov. 20, 2000: Redskins win at St. Louis Rams, 33-20

Oct. 30, 2000: Redskins lose vs. Tennessee Titans, 27-21

Sept. 18, 2000: Redskins lose vs. Dallas Cowboys, 27-21

Just look at the last four Monday Night Football games involving the Redskins: four losses by a total score of 154-63, which results in an average score of 38-15.

Oh, by the way, all four losses came at FedEx Field and by double digits (with three coming at the hands of a divisional opponent). Not good times.

Of course, the team is somehow riding a two-game winning streak on the road on Monday nights, so maybe the key is just to get away from our nation’s capital.

Click here for the full article.

It isn't just experts saying that. There was another non-football forum that had a poll up on which 2-0 teams were pretenders, and the Skins were on top of that list. Not a whole lot of faith even in the non-football community.

I don't think it is just Monday Night either, but night games in general we have played poorly. Not sure what the problem is when the lights come on.

It isn't just experts saying that. There was another non-football forum that had a poll up on which 2-0 teams were pretenders, and the Skins were on top of that list. Not a whole lot of faith even in the non-football community.

I don't think it is just Monday Night either, but night games in general we have played poorly. Not sure what the problem is when the lights come on.

I'm not sure I don't consider them a pretender. But, thus far, they've won a game that history states we should lose, and won a game history tells us we should win. That's something. Might not be much, but it's something, and I can't imagine a single skins fan upset about what's happened thus far. This team is ready every week (including last season). We may not be able to match talent, but there's no loss in the coaching department which is a BIG TIME capability that we've been lacking.

EDIT: As usual, I didn't address the point of this thread. History no longer means anything with this team. Ready for the big lights? History tells us no. THIS team tells us **** history.

Great article, and the stats probably aren't in our favor. I think this particular team is ready. I guess I should say "hope" this team is ready.

The question is, can the coach prepare them and get them to let the game come to them? I've been in sports (mostly fantasy) all of my life. It's about slowing your mind down when the pressure is at cumbustible levels. We've looked anxious and timid, especially on offense, in most primetime games in recent years. We can and should win this game and it will be a test on many levels...mostly telling in terms of how good this team can be especially given the stage and type of opponent.

This game will determine, to me, if this team has a real shot THIS year, not next, or two or three years out...THIS year. The O line has to come to play and if they do, we'll win the game. The O line has to play within themselves, slow their minds down, and punch people in the mouth (ala Doc Walker). The Dallas front 7 is going to be tough to handle especially if we play timid. Truthfully, that's all Dallas has going for them in this game. If we take away their greatest strength, the Pukes' defensive front 7, we go home 3-0. Book it.

Our MNF performance the last 4 years has been diabolical, and as a franchise we've been largely irrelevant for a decade. It's going to take more than 2 wins before people start taking us seriously, especially after the false dawn of Zorn a few years back.

As for the "pretender" cracks, we can only beat what other teams put in front of us. The Dallas game looks very winnable to me, but if we do win it won't silence the doubters because of all the injuries that Dallas has.

Didn't we beat the Cowboys in primetime last year?
Yes we did, so I'm wondering why is that victory being overlooked remember Dallas was suppose to play in the Super Bowl in their house last year, Im just saying.

It's always easy to see which people don't bother to actually read the entire article. Thanks for swinging by and adding to your post count.

It's always easy to see which people don't bother to actually read the entire article. Thanks for swinging by and adding to your post count.

C'mon man....you have to realize that people are busy and you can't expect them to click on that silly little link to get the full story. If you can't fit in everything you need to say in a few sentences or less you may as well not post. ;)

Great write up....thanks for putting that together! :)

murf, thanks for the reality check, some people are badly in need of one. As fans we root for the Skins no matter what and keep coming back after every one of those losses, it's our destiny, but right there is the root of the so-called media disrespect for this team. The vast majority of people do not follow the Skins every week, they only see 'em when it's a marquee game and when we play in those, we reek. Can anyone really blame the rest of fandom if they see us suck and draw the obvious conclusions?

They need to keep egos in check and stay focused on the task at hand, not what the media thinks or anyone's perceptions or historical stats, just one game this week against a divisional foe. I am just such a diehard cynic that I still see us ending up around .500, but the discipline and professional attitude that Shanahan has this team showing already is an encouraging sign for future success.

This is the season where we have to put our past behind us --- or our behinds in the past . I love the quote you got from Brian Orakpo - the turnover of the ego driven players and the really no stars mentality of the team now is something to get really excited about... Mike Shanahan has gotten this team hungry and they know who they are and they know the world looks at them as loosers ....I really doubt anyone from the skins is going to come out after a loss and say the best team lost ,...I think the Skins have more to prove than the Cowboys - who looking at the quotes from players still see themselves as that 13-3 championship team which has just run into a bit of bad luck......

Great work again Murf - I really enjoy your stuff more and more -

Geezz, the last few years have been terrible. There is nothing worse than waiting all day and all night for your team to play and then they stink it up. I really hope our guys can win this week b/c we should win if the Cowgirls have all these guys out.

Its time to start changing the way we play on the big stage..and we are given that chance in just a few days!

This will be a good test for the Redskins.

And to be clear, it's not about quieting all those who doubt the Skins and putting the team down. Rather, it's about a young team learning to play cohesively, to win in adverse conditions, to stay tough in those marquee moments in the spotlight, and eventually developing themselves as as 'winners.'

It's early in the season, but I like the focus and drive of this team. It's still a team in transition, but it seems a better group than some of the 'start-laden' teams that had been taking the field during the years mentioned in this article. There is a distinct "team-first" character to this group -- a focused, professional, level of dedication seeking to establish itself as a team that worthy of respect and regarded as winners. ,,, A group that also understands that will only happen through their hard work in practice and on gameday, rather than through media opinions.

C'mon man....you have to realize that people are busy and you can't expect them to click on that silly little link to get the full story. If you can't fit in everything you need to say in a few sentences or less you may as well not post.

You know as well as I do some people wouldn't read the original post if it was only 10 words. They're the folks only interested in telling you how much they know - not participating in an actual intelligent football conversation. Thankfully, most days the majority of the folks around here aren't like that.

murf, thanks for the reality check, some people are badly in need of one. As fans we root for the Skins no matter what and keep coming back after every one of those losses, it's our destiny, but right there is the root of the so-called media disrespect for this team. The vast majority of people do not follow the Skins every week, they only see 'em when it's a marquee game and when we play in those, we reek. Can anyone really blame the rest of fandom if they see us suck and draw the obvious conclusions?

They need to keep egos in check and stay focused on the task at hand, not what the media thinks or anyone's perceptions or historical stats, just one game this week against a divisional foe. I am just such a diehard cynic that I still see us ending up around .500, but the discipline and professional attitude that Shanahan has this team showing already is an encouraging sign for future success.

I was really impressed with Brian Orakpo's stance. He basically said "Look at our record since I've been here. Of course people are going to think we're terrible. We can't be concerned about that stuff." For such a young guy, he really is consistently a go-to guy for me when I'm in need of some perspective in that locker room.

I hear everyone saying "these players haven't been here for all the losing." I really do. But as a fan and as someone fortunate enough to cover this team for seven seasons, I've been here. I've been in attendance for most of these ugly losses, which is why I understand when casual NFL fans take cheap shots at the Redskins. Like you said, they only see this team once or twice a year and it's normally pretty ugly.

I believe Monday night will be a tightly-contested ballgame. I believe Mike Shanahan has these guys prepared when they take the field in a way we haven't really seen in a while. I'm actually looking forward to the team going out and showing those casual observers that this year really is different. Either way, I guess we'll see in a few days.

Bottom line is we win we start shutting these nonbelievers up. And prime time Monday night football in Dallas is the perfect place and time to do it. But don't be mad if we don't get the jock sniffing media saying oh yea they caught the boys without their star players. You know they will say that. But you know what? I could care less. Don't forget there are many that dispute our SB in the strike shorten years, like we didn't have to beat anyone else to get those titles...LOL

I was really impressed with Brian Orakpo's stance. He basically said "Look at our record since I've been here. Of course people are going to think we're terrible. We can't be concerned about that stuff." For such a young guy, he really is consistently a go-to guy for me when I'm in need of some perspective in that locker room.

~

~

~

I believe Monday night will be a tightly-contested ballgame. I believe Mike Shanahan has these guys prepared when they take the field in a way we haven't really seen in a while. I'm actually looking forward to the team going out and showing those casual observers that this year really is different. Either way, I guess we'll see in a few days.

Couldn't agree more, I am so impressed w/ Orakpo's 'tude, he brings more to this team than just his play on the field.

I want to see this team go out and impress on the big stage Monday night, not just win, not just **** up less than the Boys or get "lucky", but to put together something decisive, play a game start to finish in a way that makes people sit up and think, "Damn, Shanny HAS made some real changes!" Before the season there were a couple discussions on expectations this year, and how genuine improvement trumped W/L record, I want to see some of that.

Sobering for sure.

I understand how others are saying, "Well, this isn't the same team, new players, new coach, etc. so they can't be associated with the previous teams." With free agency, a turnstile at cent--um, coach, quarterback, scheme, lack of draft picks, etc., the only thing that is continuous is the name and the colors. We are our history, both good and bad, and recently it's been bad. Good teams take that 60-38 and make it 98-60. We'll get there. :)

I'm hoping we can continue to turn it around on Monday. We are better than others are saying, but I've never cared much for what anyone else says, good or bad. My satisfaction or sadomasochism comes from how we compare to other teams in terms of championships, wins, and losses. A fan who gets paid to be loud and obnoxious doesn't mean **** to me.

Oh, and murf, great job with the Orakpo quote. We may be a boring team, but damn, we are saying the right things. I am so friggin' excited about that guy!

Our MNF performance the last 4 years has been diabolical, and as a franchise we've been largely irrelevant for a decade. It's going to take more than 2 wins before people start taking us seriously, especially after the false dawn of Zorn a few years back.

As for the "pretender" cracks, we can only beat what other teams put in front of us. The Dallas game looks very winnable to me, but if we do win it won't silence the doubters because of all the injuries that Dallas has.

We need to make it to the playoffs to silence the doubters

I like Orkapo's humility but we do seem to have some talkers on this team. Kerrigan declared to Chris Russell right after the game against the cards, that they look forward to going 3-0. We have Grossman declaring we will the division, then repeats it again, now is saying we got the best Wrs. We got the Hightower "we will win" comment before they played the Cards, and a bunch of players talking about how special this team is. I guess the Jim Zorn 6-2 run is stuck in my head where we ultimately got media hype, and players like Smoot saying stuff like "we are the beasts of the east now"

I am not saying any of this to be negative, I like this team, but hope ala Orkapo they stay humble and hungry.

Big games and prime time games are similar, but when the national spotlight is on the Skins, its almost as if a magic "dumb" beam shines down upon them, resulting in poor judgement.

That has been the big problem the last few years; judgement. Players too eager to make the now defunct "you got jacked up" list, sacrificing the team for a personal spotlight to shine on them, which falls back to the magic beam theory.

Times have changed now, and thus far the team has embraced Shannahan's philosophy and discipline, and alot of the hot-dogging look at me hoopla has faded into focused hard nosed playing.

Monday night will be a big test, not only for the win, but to see how far Shanny has coached winning and intelligent football into the mass that rests underneath the helmets. I expect to see a Redskins team that will have some difficulties at first, but mid 2nd qtr begin figuring out what Dallas is trying to do, then stop it...

It is kind of funny that the article points out that we are looked at as pretenders but the Bills and the L-I-O-N-S! get the love? The Lions? A team that is considered by everyone as the doormat and a guarenteed win by most sports fans gets praise? The same with the Bills? Why? The only thing that I can think of is due to the dislike for Dan Snyder from the beginning even before he bought the team. The owners didn't want Dan Snyder to own it and did everything they could to stop it. It also has to do with poor organizational stucture and what former players said about the organization. A one sided view but none the less one that has some merit. But to give two teams praise that have been consistent losers is just a plain bias opinion of the sports world. The only thing that will make these opinions go away is winning every year and winning a couple of Super Bowls.

Archived