Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Homer: Redskins still not ready for primetime?

themurf

Big games and prime time games are similar, but when the national spotlight is on the Skins, its almost as if a magic "dumb" beam shines down upon them, resulting in poor judgement.

That has been the big problem the last few years; judgement. Players too eager to make the now defunct "you got jacked up" list, sacrificing the team for a personal spotlight to shine on them, which falls back to the magic beam theory.

Times have changed now, and thus far the team has embraced Shannahan's philosophy and discipline, and alot of the hot-dogging look at me hoopla has faded into focused hard nosed playing.

Monday night will be a big test, not only for the win, but to see how far Shanny has coached winning and intelligent football into the mass that rests underneath the helmets. I expect to see a Redskins team that will have some difficulties at first, but mid 2nd qtr begin figuring out what Dallas is trying to do, then stop it...

I love this post because I've often felt that when the Redskins lose in primetime games, it's too often been because of self-inflicted wounds. I end up feeling like they beat themselves rather than were beat by the opposition (with last season's loss to Philly being the exception. The Eagles crushed them from start to finish in that one). Thanks for sharing.

Usually the player / team that showboats the most is the one that ends up losing the game.

Only once, I'd love to see the Skins go into Dallas, and simply play football; no dancing after a big play, no showboating, just get the sack, catch the T.D., whatever, then just go back to the sidelines.

I think it would show the other team that we mean business, and I doubt the announcers would know what to say! They normally do not make anything of a player doing a celebration after a play, but they would be at a loss for words if this happened; of course it would be all over the sporting world that the Redskins are 100% business, and would draw some respect from people, only because there's no way to counter-attack what they're doing...

We need to make it to the playoffs to silence the doubters

No, we've done that. In fact, we've done that two times in the span of three years relatively recently. We need to become a team that consistently contends for the division and the playoffs. We have to be a team that other coaches/teams worry about going into the season. We can have down years and even miss the playoffs sometimes, but we have to string together several years of being tough to beat and show that we're capable of winning the division, making a run in the playoffs, and contending for a league championship.

I'm just glad that we have a coach that is calling games that puts the burden on the players to succeed. Shanahan is going for the jugular even when we have a lead in the game. If the players fail, well it's on the players.

None of that "we got a 3-7 point lead so we're going to play not to lose" crap, then we lose and talk about lack of execution. At least we won't be seeing that anymore. It should build confidence in the gameplan and put the burden on the players.

Man, I hate Night games period.

I think they have only won one Sunday Night game (beating Dallas in 2010) since 2007 when they beat NYG and Minn back to back Sunday games and the Bears on a Thursday night game...

I love the team at 2-0 but cant help being skeptical... they could easily be 1-1 after Arizona and I dont fully trust Grossman.

it is easy enough to recount the abysmal futility of days gone by. Bare in mind that the reason they call it history is because it happened in the past....

I am pretty sure that we can form a general concensus attesting to the fact that this is vastly different team than we have seen in recent years.

I know its hard for some of us to do but, bask in the glory a bit. this squad is gonna take the east and charge into post season. look out....

HAIL

ps

Hate is usally a bad thing but, when directed at the cowgirls, its awesome!!!! lol

I've been talking about our prime time sucketude for years, though never to this degree of detail. Nice Job Murf.

My impression is that in the past we have lacked the confidence even when we had the talent to win. Something about that national stage just seemed to overwhelm the team. I think things will be different from here on. This is a team that believes in itself and we have a core of new, talented, confident, and hard working, high character guys that will stay focused on the task at hand. If we somehow lose Monday night (which I don't believe will happen), it won't be because the stage is too big.

:cheers:

Good article and stats.

Jury definitely still out on my beloved Skins (yes, i'm another homer). Lately we have done well against the Cowboys. Dare say the 'boys are remembering the rivalry. Should be a great game in National prime time.

Injuries have made this game a tossup.

I don't understand why anyone cares about the "experts." I buy my season tickets and go to the game. I expect a professionally run ballclub. Last few years I don't feel like I got what I paid for. This year I feel pretty good about my Team. We are going in the right direction and should improve. Shanny has the Team moving in the direction fans can appreciate. It will take time, I'm happy so what else really matters?

IMO, Rex and Rex alone changes primetime games for us.

Look at the last few starters we had....Campbell, Collins, Brunell, Weurfell (sp), Matthews (I've excluded McNabb beccause he comes off fake to me, I don't really know the real him). All nice guys. They all come off with absolutely no swagger, portrayed confidence, or edge. They come off as nice guys. That is what kind of team we have had recently. Nice guy team. I never saw any swagge. Sure the 2004 defense had it, but it didn't stay long.

But with Rex, as dumb as his comments seem to the public about winning the East, having the best WRs, not giving a **** about what anyone thinks about him (fans and media); he comes out with a certain swagger. A certain swagger in that he truly does believe what he says. Who cares what we think. If he believes it, the team will believe it. If he carries swagger, his team will carry swagger. That is what we have missed for these primetime games. SWAGGER. That is what I am expecting to see this Monday night. A team I have never seen on a primetime game before. A team that BELIEVES in what we can accomplish. A team that will walk out there with that swagger Rex has. As long as Shannahan can continue to keep this team disciplined and playing smart, Rex's swagger will not hurt us. Rex's swagger is what will take us to the next level.

Edit: I have always told my buddies, DC fans aren't built for nice guy players like Crosby. We like the Ovechkins. We fall in love with the personalities. We like SWAGGER. Which is why I think Rex fits right in with us.

This will be a good test for us. I don't really know how it will go, but, history is not on our side.. the Skins better come out ready to play if they really wanna change peoples minds.

On paper, Dallas has a QB with broken ribs, and 2 starting WRs banged up... it looks good for us. We better figure out a way to keep Ratliff and Ware away from our QB while also figuring out how to get TDs more often in the Red zone.

I know there is a lot of talk about Romo sits to pee and his ribs, but I honestly don't think it will be much of an issue for him during the game. He will get shot up and make it through just fine, after the game he will be in hell for a couple days. So IMO we can throw the "banged up QB" theory out of the window or it might just bite us in the backside~! I love D.Hall and I don't really see much issue with his comments about hitting Romo sits to pee, I just wish he'd keep it quite. No need to get Dallas fired up and bring Ref attention to yourself... but D.Hall isn't much of a "big hitter" anyway so it may not matter.

A primetime game against a division opponent who happens to be our arch rival.. we better win this game!

You know Murf, right before the schedule came out I thought, well, no Monday Night games this season and what a relief!

We stink at Monday nights. Usually, I keep things to myself when Monday Nights approach, especially when we play Dallas on Monday night because it wasn't too long ago, they had our number like the Giants used to.

But this season, this team just feels "different" all the way around and there's an old,almost forgotten feeling I have after watching the way we've played since preseason and noticing the way this team now carries itself: confidence.

So, when I strolled into the office this morning and the resident Cowboys fan started in with "Your boys are giving us alot of bulletin board material for Monday night. What do you have to say about that?"

I smiled and said...You guys need all the help you can get. We're bring some Sweet Baby Rays rib sauce to Dallas Monday night.

And then he got quiet and shuffled off down the hall.

Been a long time since this team has looked this confident and competent.

Great article, thanks for sharing. :cheers:

EDIT:

The ONLY thing bothering me about this week?

Zoony hasn't made a "We're going to kick the **** out of the Cowboys" thread.

He needs to keep the good luck charm rolling...lol

This was all pre-Rex Cannon.

Look it up. Dude is money on Monday Night.

He'll probably leave the stadium with Romo sits to pee's wife. Yeah, like she's satisfied.

If it happens, I'll be expected to get the photos, right? hehehe.

You know Murf, right before the schedule came out I thought, well, no Monday Night games this season and what a relief!

We stink at Monday nights. Usually, I keep things to myself when Monday Nights approach, especially when we play Dallas on Monday night because it wasn't too long ago, they had our number like the Giants used to.

But this season, this team just feels "different" all the way around and there's an old,almost forgotten feeling I have after watching the way we've played since preseason and noticing the way this team now carries itself: confidence.

Cowboy fans have been much quieter around my office as well. I'd love to see a beatdown that left the folks in Dallas searching for answers.

New year new team.Football people don't know the exact point a team makes the change from a so so team to a contender.It's a fine between a loosing season and a winning season anyway,a close loss against a good team just gets logged as a loss on season record.2011 Redskins are different in many ways and by season end will be a team that the fans will be proud to call there team and the so called experts will jump on board.

Rex going all in for a TD on 4th and 3 instead of throwing it to the flats for the first...

That was the moment, I said screw it, I'm all in with this team. We're going to win the division.

For ten years, we've been playing not to lose instead of to win.

Not anymore. Not with this coach, his son, and with Rex.

HAIL.

For as long as I can remember, the Redskins always seem to melt under the bright lights on Monday Night Football. I remember those three wins vividly, partially because of the novelty of a Monday night victory. Actually, if you look at our all time MNF record, you'll see our winning percentage is under .500.

The game at Dallas is a must win for several reasons, one of those reasons is because we desperately need to show the nation that we can perform in front of a national stage.

For as long as I can remember, the Redskins always seem to melt under the bright lights on Monday Night Football. I remember those three wins vividly, partially because of the novelty of a Monday night victory. Actually, if you look at our all time MNF record, you'll see our winning percentage is under .500.

The game at Dallas is a must win for several reasons, one of those reasons is because we desperately need to show the nation that we can perform in front of a national stage.

The most demoralizing aspect is that Gibbs' teams even seemed to lose on MNF just as often as they won.

Archived