Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Troy Davis

XEL

Because we don't need to turn this into a race referendum.

Race and economics (mostly economics) play a very large role on whether or not you end up on death row, it shouldn't be a race referendum or whatever but it does play a significant role in death penalty cases.

Race and economics (mostly economics) play a very large role on whether or not you end up on death row, it shouldn't be a race referendum or whatever but it does play a significant role in death penalty cases.

I don't deny that, just it will inevitably de-rail the thread like it does just about every other time it's brought up.

Well, there is no doubt he was a participant in the crime.

The questions seems to be if he was the trigger man.

He was convicted as the triggerman by eye witnesses.

Now some of those opposed to the death penalty have changed their mind, some are deceased, and some stick to their story.

It's obvious he was guilty of a crime, and initially he was implicated of the crime.

Guilty.

Does that finish it enough for you? Or should he be left to die in jail and the victims family be left to suffer a loss without concern from the public?

No doubt, according to who, you? As you said in a later post yourself, were you there? Please explain how it is OBVIOUS that he was guilty of a crime. So now you're judge, jury, and executioner?

You go on to say that you don't know if there was reasonable doubt because you weren't at the trial, but yet it's obvious that he was guilty? Do you know how ridiculous you sound? Sorry for all the question marks, but I'm sure I'm not the only one questioning your 'facts'.

No doubt, according to who, you? As you said in a later post yourself, were you there? Please explain how it is OBVIOUS that he was guilty of a crime. So now you're judge, jury, and executioner?

You go on to say that you don't know if there was reasonable doubt because you weren't at the trial, but yet it's obvious that he was guilty? Do you know how ridiculous you sound? Sorry for all the question marks, but I'm sure I'm not the only one questioning your 'facts'.

Well the court system said he was guilty as well as eye witnesses. It wasn't made up.

The court system thinks there is no evidence to overturn it.
Woe is the day that America is slow to question the motive and wisdom of the government and quick to condemn men to die.

For shame.

edit: unrelated to my post above, but I put this on Facebook earlier:

If a central point of Christianity is the worship of a man wrongly condemned to death, how can people who call themselves Christian tolerate the death penalty?

And it could be a deterrent and has been.

never has been and never will be. Not when it comes to 1st degree murder

Bottom line on this guy he is not guilty beyond all doubt.7 of 9 recated. The 2 who did not were a jail house snitch and the person who was beating the homeless man. The only physical evidence was a shell casing and they could not tie that to any gun.This is not enough to kill a man over, we need to side on life not death in case of doubt

Just imagine if this guy IS innocent.

How completely sad and tragic. And it has had to happen to at least 1 person. I don't believe in execution of an innocent person.

And talk to me if/when something happens to someone close to me, but killing this guy doesn't bring back the cop murdered 22 years ago.

Anyway, assuming this guy is innocent, RIP.

Just another sad day for our Court system. Anyone know the race of the eye witnesses?

Black according to her

It's nearly impossible to receive a death sentence these days -- unless you do something completely crazy like shoot a cop in full view of dozens of witnesses in a Burger King parking lot, only a few hours after shooting at a passing car while exiting a party.

That's what Troy Davis did in August 1989. Davis is the media's current baby seal of death row.

With death penalty opponents so fixated on Davis' race -- he's black -- it ought to be noted that all the above witnesses are themselves African-American. The first man Davis shot in the car that night was African-American.

I notice that the people so anxious to return this sociopathic cop-killer to the street don't live in his neighborhood.

After a two-week trial with 34 witnesses for the state and six witnesses for the defense, the jury of seven blacks and five whites took less than two hours to convict Davis of Officer Mark MacPhail's murder, as well as various other crimes. Two days later, the jury sentenced Davis to death.

Now, a brisk 22 years after Davis murdered Officer MacPhail, his sentence will finally be administered this week -- barring any more of the legal shenanigans that have kept taxpayers on the hook for Davis' room and board for the past two decades.

(The average time on death row is 14 years. Then liberals turn around and triumphantly claim the death penalty doesn't have any noticeable deterrent effect. As the kids say: Duh.)

http://www.anncoulter.com/columns/2011-09-21.html

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/sep/21/troy-davis-10-reasons

1. Of the nine witnesses who appeared at Davis's 1991 trial who said they had seen Davis beating up a homeless man in a dispute over a bottle of beer and then shooting to death a police officer, Mark MacPhail, who was acting as a good samaritan, seven have since recanted their evidence.

2. One of those who recanted, Antoine Williams, subsequently revealed they had no idea who shot the officer and that they were illiterate – meaning they could not read the police statements that they had signed at the time of the murder in 1989. Others said they had falsely testified that they had overheard Davis confess to the murder.

3. Many of those who retracted their evidence said that they had been cajoled by police into testifying against Davis. Some said they had been threatened with being put on trial themselves if they did not co-operate.

4. Of the two of the nine key witnesses who have not changed their story publicly, one has kept silent for the past 20 years and refuses to talk, and the other is Sylvester Coles. Coles was the man who first came forward to police and implicated Davis as the killer. But over the past 20 years evidence has grown that Coles himself may be the gunman and that he was fingering Davis to save his own skin.

5. In total, nine people have come forward with evidence that implicates Coles. Most recently, on Monday the George Board of Pardons and Paroles heard from Quiana Glover who told the panel that in June 2009 she had heard Coles, who had been drinking heavily, confess to the murder of MacPhail.

6. Apart from the witness evidence, most of which has since been cast into doubt, there was no forensic evidence gathered that links Davis to the killing.

7. In particular, there is no DNA evidence of any sort. The human rights group the Constitution Project points out that three-quarters of those prisoners who have been exonerated and declared innocent in the US were convicted at least in part on the basis of faulty eyewitness testimony.

8. No gun was ever found connected to the murder. Coles later admitted that he owned the same type of .38-calibre gun that had delivered the fatal bullets, but that he had given it away to another man earlier on the night of the shooting.

There are and have been innocent people on Death Row and some even put to death.

Troy Davis was not one of those people. He was not innocent. He was a guilty person. His supporters attempted to create doubt on the depth of his guilt, but, he was not an innocent man. He was there. He participated in a crime in which someone died. He has culpability. Worth his life? Fair enough question, but, let's not pretend he was innocent.

Good ol' Ann Coulter always giving a fair assessment of what happened.

Recanted testimony is the least believable evidence since it proves only that defense lawyers managed to pressure some witnesses to alter their testimony, conveniently after the trial has ended. Even criminal lobbyist Justice William Brennan ridiculed post-trial recantations.

Yup, because proven time and time again, and with how our current legal system is operating, eye witness testimony by itself is not sufficient enough. To execute someone over testimony, that is now considered rather nebulous itself is an embarrassment to the pro-death penalty argument.

I'm pro death penalty and it's cases like this that make it hard to support it. Executing someone based on the evidence which seems rather nebulous today is a huge indictment on our justice systems ability to properly carry out a death sentence. His involvement doesn't seem to be a question, but executing him when you don't know for sure that he was the trigger man is injustice and defeats the purpose of a death sentence.

the jury seemed sure and numerous reviews by the courts as well

nebulous?.....try again

Are you saying that the jury and the court system can never be wrong? Do you think eye witness testimony, especially now that several have recanted their story, is enough to execute someone?

I'm not arguing his innocence. I'm arguing that the evidence provided is not enough to hand out death sentences over. Shouldn't a death sentence be given when it is beyond doubt that the person committed the crime? Say a John Allen Mohammad or a Sedley Alley.

Archived