Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Troy Davis

XEL

I was just wondering how people on this board felt about this.

In 89, a police officer was killed. Davis was blamed for it. 7 of the 9 witnesses have taken back their testimonies and one or two have even said things along the lines of "they made me say it was him."

Someone even stepped up and admitted to killing the officer, but their plea was ignored. Davis has been denied lie-detection tests. He was set to be executed earlier today by way of lethal injection, but it was been delayed. What are your thoughts on this?

For more information:

http://news.yahoo.com/troy-davis-asks-supreme-court-stop-execution-223142125.html

Personally, I think the government is making a REALLY bad move. I don't think there is anywhere NEAR enough evidence to warrant killing this man..

Although we are still being beaten by the Chinese, at least we're still in the top5. And in good company I might add:

http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Global-Issues/2011/0918/Death-penalty-Top-5-countries-to-execute-the-most-people/Pakistan

Death penalty: Top 5 countries to execute the most people

1. China

2. Iran

3. Iraq

4. U.S.

5. Pakistan

Troy Davis was there when the murder occurred. The question was who pulled the trigger. The courts decided there was not evidence that he didn't pull the trigger.

He was involved in the crime.

Someone is dead. Family has to live with his death forever.

So.....

So? Care to finish your thought?

Letter from Troy Davis.

I want to thank all of you for your efforts and dedication to Human Rights and Human Kindness, in the past year I have experienced such emotion, joy, sadness and never ending faith. It is because of all of you that I am alive today, as I look at my sister Martina I am marveled by the love she has for me and of course I worry about her and her health, but as she tells me she is the eldest and she will not back down from this fight to save my life and prove to the world that I am innocent of this terrible crime.

As I look at my mail from across the globe, from places I have never ever dreamed I would know about and people speaking languages and expressing cultures and religions I could only hope to one day see first hand. I am humbled by the emotion that fills my heart with overwhelming, overflowing Joy. I can’t even explain the insurgence of emotion I feel when I try to express the strength I draw from you all, it compounds my faith and it shows me yet again that this is not a case about the death penalty, this is not a case about Troy Davis, this is a case about Justice and the Human Spirit to see Justice prevail.

I cannot answer all of your letters but I do read them all, I cannot see you all but I can imagine your faces, I cannot hear you speak but your letters take me to the far reaches of the world, I cannot touch you physically but I feel your warmth everyday I exist.

So Thank you and remember I am in a place where execution can only destroy your physical form but because of my faith in God, my family and all of you I have been spiritually free for some time and no matter what happens in the days, weeks to come, this Movement to end the death penalty, to seek true justice, to expose a system that fails to protect the innocent must be accelerated. There are so many more Troy Davis’. This fight to end the death penalty is not won or lost through me but through our strength to move forward and save every innocent person in captivity around the globe. We need to dismantle this Unjust system city by city, state by state and country by country.

I can’t wait to Stand with you, no matter if that is in physical or spiritual form, I will one day be announcing,

“I AM TROY DAVIS, and I AM FREE!”

Never Stop Fighting for Justice and We will Win!

http://newsone.com/nation/newsonestaff2/a-message-from-troy-davis/

So? Care to finish your thought?

Well, there is no doubt he was a participant in the crime.

The questions seems to be if he was the trigger man.

He was convicted as the triggerman by eye witnesses.

Now some of those opposed to the death penalty have changed their mind, some are deceased, and some stick to their story.

It's obvious he was guilty of a crime, and initially he was implicated of the crime.

Guilty.

Does that finish it enough for you? Or should he be left to die in jail and the victims family be left to suffer a loss without concern from the public?

Well, there is no doubt he was a participant in the crime.

The questions seems to be if he was the trigger man.

He was convicted as the triggerman by eye witnesses.

Now some of those opposed to the death penalty have changed their mind, some are deceased, and some stick to their story.

It's obvious he was guilty of a crime, and initially he was implicated of the crime.

Guilty.

Does that finish it enough for you? Or should he be left to die in jail and the victims family be left to suffer a loss without concern from the public?

If you are asked if revenge should be built into our justice system I have to answer with a resounding no.

Do you really believe that there was absolutely no reasonable doubt, considering there was no forensic evidence whatsoever?

If you are asked if revenge should be built into our justice system I have to answer with a resounding no.

Do you really believe that there was absolutely no reasonable doubt, considering there was no forensic evidence whatsoever?

I don't know if there was no reasonable doubt because I wasn't at the trial. Were you?

I do know he was involved in the crime, and initially the witnesses nabbed him as the shooter.

Now they change their story.

The court system thinks there is no evidence to overturn it.

I dunno, but I wouldn't call that revenge. There are still eyewitnesses alive who say he was the shooter. Is that revenge?

Just 2 witnesses ?

They don't count ?

Eyewitness testimony is notoriously unreliable especially in a system like ours which has been shown to be anything but just regarding death penalty cases.

But the bigger question is should the state institutionalize revenge and I think that is a horrible policy.

---------- Post added September-21st-2011 at 11:31 PM ----------

I don't know if there was no reasonable doubt because I wasn't at the trial. Were you?

I do know he was involved in the crime, and initially the witnesses nabbed him as the shooter.

Now they change their story.

The court system thinks there is no evidence to overturn it.

I dunno, but I wouldn't call that revenge. There are still eyewitnesses alive who say he was the shooter. Is that revenge?

The act of killing him is revenge, it serves no other purpose.

Once again the courts have been wrong plenty of times before and they will continue to be wrong, he may or may not have been innocent but innocent people have been executed before and I have no doubt that innocent men will be executed in the future if the current system continues on this path. That is simply unacceptable in my mind.

It is not revenge. Not at all.

If this man was involved in the killing of innocent people.

They saw this guy do it. It is many years later...why would they lie ?

They count and our system is not perfect, but it does take most of the bad guys off the street.

Do you want to go into a military debate ? You point may fair better regarding that with me.

It is not revenge. Not at all.

If this man was involved in the killing of innocent people.

They saw this guy do it. It is many years later...why would they lie ?

They count and our system is not perfect, but it does take most of the bad guys off the street.

Do you want to go into a military debate ? You point may fair better regarding that with me.

It isn't lying necessarily its just that it is incredibly easy to push what a person has seen one way or another. Human memory is simply unreliable and can be very open to suggestion.

What other purpose does executing a man serve other than revenge? It has been shown in study after study that it doesn't deter crime in any form. What is the death penalty if not revenge?

So if our court system is not perfect do you really believe that giving the courts the ability to kill another man is a good policy.

I believe in the death penalty. It is well documented here.

Does that make it easier for you ?

It is not revenge. And it could be a deterrent and has been.

So what about the innocent people executed by the state or at risk of being executed by the state?

Do you believe the deterrence is worth the risk or do you have other reasons for supporting the death penalty?

Archived