Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Your favorite DC born, never been to Dallas, Cowboys fan

SkinsHokieFan

Lol, interesting insight!

I've seen a couple NBW fans here in Texas, but probably not near as many "NBDs" as you seen in the DMV.

Just out of curiosity, how many of those fans are new as of this year (if you know)? Back in '08, we had a huge influx of Skins fans from Hawaii because of Colt Brennan, I'm wondering if there just happen to be a large number of Baylor/RGIII fans from Texas who are now Redskins fans because of where he landed.

can you blame them? There isnt an NFL team in Sacramento.

The 49ers & Raiders both play in stadiums barely over 60 minutes away and both are considered the "local" teams. Both have storied franchises. It's not like Dallas is remotely close to being the only, or even the closest option. It was mostly due to the Cowboys winning in the 90's.

The 49ers & Raiders both play in stadiums barely over 60 minutes away and both are considered the "local" teams. Both have storied franchises. It's not like Dallas is remotely close to being the only, or even the closest option. It was mostly due to the Cowboys winning in the 90's.

the Ravens play in a stadium thats less than a hour away from DC, and have a team that has been one of the NFL's elite for the last decade. Shouldnt there be more Ravens fans in DC? The inverse is true for Skins fan in Bmore.

The truth is that Sacramento is not San Francisco or Oakland. They have their own city and their own values. Just because they are near each other doesnt mean they have similar demographics and thinking. This goes into all thinking, not just sports. Its why it doesnt surprise me that a person from Sacramento roots for a team outside of California. They probably do not identify themselves as being from San Francisco or Oakland or "that area." That person probably considers themselves a person from Sacramento.

• 9 months later...

Bump

"A Cowboys fan isn't really a football fan at all. I think many of them hopped on the bandwagon back in the '90s, have watched the team turn into a national embarrassment, and now just kind of half-cheer for the team because they can't quite admit to themselves that they never cared about the Cowboys to begin with. They liked the rings. They never liked the team. They just wanted to be seen around school hanging out with the most popular team, the one that gets all the attention and plows all the cheerleaders at the Michael Irvin's white house and what not. That's why I will never get tired of them ****ing up year after year after year after year, while The Double J fiddles away in his luxury box."

- Drew Magary, Deadspin

My oldest brother David (Virginia native) sadly is a longtime NBD cowturd fan.

My Brother. :ols:

You know my older brother has been a Cowpukes fan for as long as I can remember, he simply reach a point where we are just butting heads. When someone doesn't understand the "concept of rooting for the home team"....I think you're just forced to agree to disagree.

That explained a lot of fights growing up though.

Oh and my aunt is a GIGANTIC SKINS fan. They didn't get along too well either

Just out of curiosity, how many of those fans are new as of this year (if you know)? Back in '08, we had a huge influx of Skins fans from Hawaii because of Colt Brennan, I'm wondering if there just happen to be a large number of Baylor/RGIII fans from Texas who are now Redskins fans because of where he landed.

I don't get the concept of one's allegiance following a particular player.  I can understand liking a player in college and rooting for him in the pros, or admiring a player on a different team, but I'm not switching teams because a player I like is on a different team.  There's a good guy here at work whose son got drafted and played as a back-up on a couple different teams for about 5 years.  I casually followed his son and told him I wished him all the best, but never wavered from being a Redskins fan either.  I like underdog players like Arian Foster who come out of nowhere to have a good career and still manage not to be jerks, but I'll never switch teams because of one player.  I'd only ever switch teams if 1) the team folded or moved, or 2) the team owner or some other official did something beyond awful, like refuse to sign black players or something. 

A lot of them aren't even necessarily fans of the Cowboys because of their love of the franchise. They're fans just because they hate the Redskins, and want to let everyone know it.

You know what that's why I pull for The Steelers. I don't have any Pitts jersey and don't plan on getting any but I root for them just to rub it in Balt fans faces.

Truth is I think bashing someone for rooting for an out of town team is meh. If someones a loyal fan then that trumps whatever city they live in.

I myself have never had any problems from Dallas fans. My Uncle is one and two co workers are Dall fans, as well, but I seldom hear any trash talking from them. In fact one of the co workers is very respectful and will acknowledge when The Skins do well. Even going as far as hoping our team did well in the playoffs last year. There's some light hearted trash talking but its very few and far in between.

Most smack talking and ridicule I hear almost always come from Ravens fans. Which boggles my mind because it is so unwarranted and raises my hate for them more and more.

There's a reason why there are so many cowboy fans in DC.

DC was the last team to integrate. Many DC natives became cowboy fans in protest. Can't say I blame them. Its water under the bridge now, but those traditions are handed down from parent to child

http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/articles/42149/why-are-there-so-many-cowboys-fans-in-dc/

Others are just douche bags.

Hail.

There's a reason why there are so many cowboy fans in DC.

DC was the last team to integrate. Many DC natives became cowboy fans in protest. Can't say I blame them. Its water under the bridge now, but those traditions are handed down from parent to child

http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/articles/42149/why-are-there-so-many-cowboys-fans-in-dc/

Others are just douche bags.

Hail.

If that's the basis for picking a football team, then shouldn't they now root for the team that has the only winning black Quarterback? I mean, if that's the basis of fandom, why not switch around when the story changes?  I don't know how true that stat is, but considering dallas joined the league 1 year before the Redskins integrated, they must have formed a bitter rivalry in one year to cause so many people to become cowboys fans.

i've said this a few times on various board posts but, living in LA i've been a witness to a downpour of Cowboys bandwagoning over the years.  yes, it all began when they started their run in the '90's...at the height of Sportscenter highlights & crack usage, & it continues with varying degress every time they gain some new star player or they wind up on "Hard Knocks."

to some extent, they do hold their practices over this way in Southern California & Jerruh is from Manhattan Beach/El Segundo...the area i currently reside in.  it's a very business-based community with a lot of richie-pooh's who probably associate with his success in some way & so there is a built in excuse there.  either way...it's primarily loaded with Raiders, Packers, & Cowboys fans over here.  the Packers fans are always loyal...though i do meet some new fans here or there, but usually they are new to football....so i give them a pass.  besides...i've yet to meet a deouchie Packers fan.  there's a grip of Steelers fans too...who are also largely respectful....however, as is the case this year, they tend to disappear when they are irrelevant.

i've ranted before about how i've witnessed the "re-birth" of Cowboys fans over the years in spurts.  i've seen it a lot with friends of mine as well who were either non-football fans at one point, or who simply jump from team to team. 

i actually am one of the only true die-hard, sports-obsessed people in my circle.  there are a few that i know who have 1 or 2 teams they truly follow, but i follow at least 1 team in just about every professional team sport on this planet (sans maybe Rugby & Lacrosse...though my curiosity is starting to get the better of me).  the sports where i follow multiples religiously are international football, or saw-kur, NHL, & Collegiate Sports.  there are varying stories behind the reasoning to each one, but let me try to move along here.

my hatred for the Cowboys largely stems from the bandwaggoning.  it's just been outright disgusting to observe as someone who is as die-hard & sports obsessed as i am to watch people jump onto their success at every open opportunity & never go through the ups & downs we hardcore fans do.  it kills me when my team is crap...right now in fact i feel anxiety, stress, pain, disgust, & a whole host of other negative feelings as this young season progresses.  if we do anything good, i know without question that i will enjoy the moments ten-fold as opposed to anyone who just picks up a success story.  because i've been through the muck & the mire with my team & had to hear it from other die-hards & scores of others who couldn't be bothered to watch a full 4 quarters of their "own team"  when they win...let alone when they suck.

you'll still see me posting on FB with our losses & trying to make sense of them.  i'll give kudos to other teams or fans of other teams in my circle when they deserve it.  i live & breathe sports, sometimes more than i would really like to....but i can't help it...it's a part of me.  i cannot say the same for any Cowboy fans i know.  in fact...several of them whom i know personally started off all "LET'S GO 'BOYS!" for the first 2 games & were going bananas after week 1.  now i don't even see Cowboys pics on their timeline or wallpaper anymore, let alone a mention of their team.

these are the same people, no doubt, who i am already annoyed to no end about in anticipation that should we happen to lose...there will certainly be no shortage of smack-talk.  now...i can handle myself quite fine for smack-talk, & have plenty to fire back their way...especially with Tony Oh-No! pulling off another classic piece of choke-artistry.  but it's exactly THOSE type of sports fans i cannot bear to take any guff from.  it simply makes my skin crawl.

these are the fans that primarily make up Cowboy-Nation...if ever there was such a thing.  more than any other team not named Man-U, Barcelona, or Real Madrid.  they are the loudest when they win, & quieter than a doormouse when they lose.  they never watch an entire game, they never engage in intelligent football discussion.  most of them joined during the Aikman/Smith/Irvin era & just as many couldn't be suffered to know Moose Johnston's first name.  the fan test for me is usually asking the other person to name the O-line of their bitter rival.......that's an automatice fail with Cowboys fans.  so i usually go to the follow up which is to name their O-line during their best era.  the Cowboys had inarguably the best O-line in NFL history during that era & those pitiful excuses for fans can't even remember Larry Allen.  to give you an idea of how bad it usually is......THE MOST COMMON 1ST RESPONSE IS LEON LETT!!!!!

this just goes to show how dependant their fandom is on Sportscenter highlights.  if it wasn't a highlight, for them, it simply didn't happen.

these are also the ONLY "fans" of football who will argue the merits of Emmitt Smith being the greatest RB of all time based on his record.  literally NO educated football fan i've ever spoken to has EVER argued this point.EVAR.  it simply can't be spoken & you be given any respect or credibility in a football conversation ever again.  it's like saying Robert Horry is the greatest NBA player of all time because he made all those clutch 3's & won 7 NBA titles.

anywho....i could go on an anti-Cowboy rant forever.  i just hope we can pull out a W because i can't bring myself to respond cordially to those Cowboy sycophants....i may have to punch somebody.

You know what that's why I pull for The Steelers. I don't have any Pitts jersey and don't plan on getting any but I root for them just to rub it in Balt fans faces.

Truth is I think bashing someone for rooting for an out of town team is meh. If someones a loyal fan then that trumps whatever city they live in.

I don't just bash them for rooting for an out of town team. I explained my reasoning in this thread already. A lot of these people don't root for the Cowboys out of loyalty. They root for the Cowboys simply because they hate the Redskins, for whatever reason. It's attention whorism at its finest. Just do the opposite of what everyone else does, because it's cool.

I agree with what you said, but as I said before, those laws do not apply to DMV Cowboys fans. Due to the Redskins being a laughing stock for 20 years, even with as much love as the Skins get in this city and across the country, people love to talk **** about them around here.

Places like LA don't matter to me, because they don't have a pro team. And it isn't a border rivalry, or a general proximity issue (Like Philly/Pittsburgh/NYC/BAL, etc)  in terms of geography. They play in Texas. They're a rival. So again, unless you're from that area, if you're a DMV Cowboys fan, you are a lost soul, eternally damned.

the fan test for me is usually asking the other person to name the O-line of their bitter rival.......that's an automatice fail with Cowboys fans.  

I don't think I could name the starting o-line for anyone other than the 'Skins lol. There is way too much turnover in those positions. 

That's a tough way to judge someone's fandom

^^^^i was typing a lot & tried to shorten things up a bit. The caveat to that is i give a pass as long as you know 2/5...but if 2 is all you can name, then i go for your own. But the reasoning, for my part, is that a fan...short for fanatic, is obsessed & is knowledgeable about near as many teams in the league as their own. Not quite as knowledgable per se, but enough to know, with relative intelligence, what that team brings to the table & the like.

Mind you...i don't necessarily judge fandom as a whole on that level, but i certainly know what i can or shouldn't even bother discussing with you vased on that line of questioning. You see...if all i get from an opposing fan is "yeah, we rock & you suck!" :: growly face :: Then i move right along. If you name multiple starting lineups or close to it...chances are you might know some X's & O's & we can have a respectful conversation.

My point mainly is that i still can't find any Cowboys "fans" that i've ever had the privilege of meeting who could even begin to think about discussing that kind of depth. To me...that's what makes you a fan vs just a spectator who roots for a team. Then...of course there are varying levels of that.

There's the girl who cheers for the hot QB. There's the people who only root for varying personalities. There's the hometown homer that can only name the guys in the commercials & rah-rah & wear makeup, but know little more than what offsides means. There's the bandwaggoner, of course. & then there's my favorite new fad where people throw darts at a team sheet or whatever & proclaim "_______ is my team THIS year" because....as it's been put to me..."what's the fun in rooting for someone who doesn't have a shot...that's just masochistic."

Anywho...i'm only condemning of the ones i described in my original post because they literally crawl out of the woodwork & then have the gumption to talk smack to you for sticking with your sorry team for however many decades.

Ftr...i'm also not for the hometown hero brigade myself. While i do support mainly LA teams...i was born in Reno, NV where we have no teams & though i was raised near LA, i actually grew up in a suburb just outside of LA county & so i feel no special ties to the city besides just liking its comforts. Besides...one should not judge how or when someone came to like a sport, as that has just as much to do with the team that they choose.

I.e. i love the LA Galaxy, but i didn't even begin paying attention to international football until 2006 when we were in Holland during the World Cup. While i also support the USMNT, it was the Dutch & subsequently Arsenal who eventually made me fall in love with the beautiful game.

But yeah...i think it's perfectly fair to say that if you don't know at least a fair amount about your rival or your division in comparison to your own team, then you're more like a really eager supporter. A fan sure enough...as long as you are dedicated, consistent, & passionate...but there's a higher level of fandom that i relate to specifically & while i have found many of this ilk in support of varying teams around the NFL....i have yet to find one from Cowboy Nation....was ultimately my point.

With me the fan test is naming your own lineman. Some people can't even do that.

I once asked a Cowboys fan (who claimed to be a lifelong fan) right out of nowhere who his '03 starting RB was. No Google/Bing, nothing, straight up medulla. Dude said Emmit Smith, when it was Troy Hambrick. Talk about embarrassment.

Growing up in the DMV I've always seen that while we have some of the most loyal and passionate fans of the local teams we also have the most frontrunning bandwagon jumpers. People who just liked the Cowboys just because it was considered cool to like the Cowboys. Same thing with the Lakers and Yankees, also saw it with the Bulls of the 90s and the current Miami Heat. Most DMV Cowboys fans I've met are conceited and self absorbed. They like the Cowboys for the most part because it's fashionable to do so rather then really being invested in the team.

The Cowboys have won 1 playoff game in the last 16 or so years.

Is there any other team in pro sports who are so much more popular as they are good?

There are several in the NFL: Redskins, Browns, Raiders. They always have packed houses and, at best, have had one-off years of 10 wins and a playoff appearance. I will say all fan bases have their special children. I have to say to several opposing fan bases "please don't compare us all to him" referring to a Skins fan who, in 2009, after barely beating awful St. Louis, and losing to Detroit, still was crowing we were going to go 11-5.

But the most annoying Cowboys fans who are Dallas fans just to be assholes. There is a litany of examples. And honestly, Ravens fans are just as bad. You want a bandwagon fanbase? There it is. M&T would be empty and the team moved if they went through the last 20+ years like the Redskins have.

My point mainly is that i still can't find any Cowboys "fans" that i've ever had the privilege of meeting who could even begin to think about discussing that kind of depth.

I have believe it or not. I am friends w/3 Cowboys fans that are actually very knowledgable about their team..they call them out when they screw up..they were livid w/that interception against Denver Sunday..they don't believe Romo sits to pee should've been re-signed for that amount of money..they know the history of the team and they are die hard fans(just of the wrong team..LOL)..they are the only 3 cowboy fans that I will even consider talking football with..they're realistic and even gave us props last season..

With that said...the majority of Cowboy fans that I know are just bandwagoners..they know nothing about their team or about the sport period...

I also find a lot of hatred for the Skins here in Hampton Rds..not sure why...I have a friend that's a die hard Bears fan that said this to me the other day..."I don't care if the Bears win another game...as long as we beat yall good...that would be my SuperBowl"..I was like really? the bears are not even on my radar except when we play them...he says it's b/c he's surrounded by Skins fans here (he's orginally from Chitown)...but he likes RGIII...go figure...so he was the first to call me this season and say.."what's wrong w/your team..why is Griffin struggling? Yall better get it together"..I was like..but you don't like the Skins...he said.."but you're my friend..I know you'll be upset if they don't get it together".. :huh:

I have believe it or not. I am friends w/3 Cowboys fans that are actually very knowledgable about their team..they call them out when they screw up..they were livid w/that interception against Denver Sunday..they don't believe Romo sits to pee should've been re-signed for that amount of money..they know the history of the team and they are die hard fans(just of the wrong team..LOL)..they are the only 3 cowboy fans that I will even consider talking football with..they're realistic and even gave us props last season..

With that said...the majority of Cowboy fans that I know are just bandwagoners..they know nothing about their team or about the sport period...

I also find a lot of hatred for the Skins here in Hampton Rds..not sure why...I have a friend that's a die hard Bears fan that said this to me the other day..."I don't care if the Bears win another game...as long as we beat yall good...that would be my SuperBowl"..I was like really? the bears are not even on my radar except when we play them...he says it's b/c he's surrounded by Skins fans here (he's orginally from Chitown)...but he likes RGIII...go figure...so he was the first to call me this season and say.."what's wrong w/your team..why is Griffin struggling? Yall better get it together"..I was like..but you don't like the Skins...he said.."but you're my friend..I know you'll be upset if they don't get it together".. :huh:

I've met several as well who are like this. Very knowledgeable Dallas fans that can discuss football rationally. But most are just loudmouth, attention-starved blowhards :)

I do have an explanation for your Bears fan friend--we have a lot of annoying fans. We do. A large passionate, especially long-suffering fanbase is going to have its special children. And we do.

Archived