Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Your favorite DC born, never been to Dallas, Cowboys fan

SkinsHokieFan

a lot of people in the DC area supported the Cowboys because of the Redskins player acquisition policy under George Preston Marshall while the Cowboys had many prominent black players. That lasted for generations (people in the DC area rooting for the Cowboys)

It's always a shrinking moment when, sifting through the hordes of simple antagonists, I encounter a DC native 'Pukes fans that cites this allegiance.

It's like I am riding my righteous, dignified, DC sports allegiance, and BAM, some 'Puke fan hits me with that.

It's the damn bandwagoners drive me nuts. How many damn Giants hats/jerseys have you seen around here in the past 5 years. Straight out of the woodwork.

But, to answer the OP question, my brother-in-law. He claims Danny White and Drew Pearson as his Dallas inspiration, but it is really his need to be an antagonist that flipped his switch.

My neighbor down the street is nbd. Grew up in northern new york, should be a Bills fan (and they were actually good then). Good dude, knowledgeable about football, and keeps the trash talk pretty good natured, which is fine with me. Plus our daughters our best friends, so he's kind of unavoidable.

His excuse is his older brother was a Dallass fan, so he started rooting for them too. Which is sort of understandable, I suppose. Doesn't say much for his brother though. nbd AND corrupting the minds of innocent children.

Growing up the following were Cowboy fans who were born and raised in the DC area throughout elementary school to high school in Waldorf-

Jimmy, Jeff A. & Robby A. (2 of 3 brothers- the other was a Redskins fan), Brian, Jay, Richard, Donnie and Patrick.

I also had a friend Jeff B. whose parents were from western PA, so he was a Steelers fan and Steve who was a Chargers fan.

In college, I had Rob, Scott and Charles (Dolphins- go figure that I knew 3 of them), Mike (Browns), Dwayne M (Steelers), Dave (Bears) and Dwayne G (Cowboys of course).

Dude, I have never seen, smelt, or even been near DC and I am a huge Skins fan! 91 baby - I refused to be a 49ers fan when I had 15+ family members trying to convince me to be a 49ers fan by age 9. I like being different even if it is in that 1%. Same thing with Orlando Magic, I am a huge fan.... Baseball, of course and always, SF Giants... A lot of people look at me funny when I tell them my teams...

Dude, I have never seen, smelt, or even been near DC and I am a huge Skins fan! 91 baby - I refused to be a 49ers fan when I had 15+ family members trying to convince me to be a 49ers fan by age 9. I like being different even if it is in that 1%. Same thing with Orlando Magic, I am a huge fan.... Baseball, of course and always, SF Giants... A lot of people look at me funny when I tell them my teams...

yeah...ppl get me with that line of thinking when a great majority of this very board have little relation to DC...

I know a guy from high school who is a "die hard" Cowboys fan, but is also a Wizards, Orioles, and WVU fan. So random. After the Pittsburgh game last week, when BRANDON Carr picked off the ball in OT, he posted on facebook "David Carr is my hero!".

I also know another kid who is a...I kid you not...a Cowboys, Lakers, Florida Gators, Flyers, and Nationals fan. Posts stuff about how the Redskins suck even when the Cowboys lose as well. Most annoying kid ever.

There are of fans of many teams across different leagues/sports that have never been to the host town of their favorite club. It's kind of funny that you focus on Dallas, though.

Dallas Cowboys, New York Yankees, Los Angeles Lakers. All are porbably the most popular teams around the country for their respective leagues. It really has nothing to do with them winning. It's the "glamour" or saying you are part of the "popular" concensus. I have more respect for people who live in a random place like Nebraska who become a Rams, Niners or Raiders fan, then I would if they became a Cowboys fan, because we all know why.

I've been seeing a shift in Giants gear here in Charlotte over the past 4 years. Gee, I wonder why?

I know a guy from high school who is a "die hard" Cowboys fan, but is also a Wizards, Orioles, and WVU fan. So random. After the Pittsburgh game last week, when BRANDON Carr picked off the ball in OT, he posted on facebook "David Carr is my hero!".

David Carr was trending on twitter after the Cowboys win over Pittsburgh.

haha, love that fanbase.

yeah...ppl get me with that line of thinking when a great majority of this very board have little relation to DC...

Cheering for a team(s) that represents the region that you live in (and a city which most people live around 30-60 minutes from), i snot the same as cheering for a team that resides halfway across the United States, and an area (Dallas-Fort Worth, etc) which you have no relation to. It's just not. Personally, I thinkl people can be fans of whatever team they want to be, but like I said, there is a certain level of annoyance/attention whoring that comes along with (and gets attached to) Cowboys fans in the DC area who grew up in the DC area (where all Redskins fans hate the Cowboys).

A lot of them aren't even necessarily fans of the Cowboys because of their love of the franchise. They're fans just because they hate the Redskins, and want to let everyone know it.

A lot of them aren't even necessarily fans of the Cowboys because of their love of the franchise. They're fans just because they hate the Redskins, and want to let everyone know it.

the truth...I've even had fans like that admit it to me. I know a guy who stopped liking the Skins because they got rid of Doug Williams and became a die hard Dallas fan to spite the team

I have 2 good friends that are Dallas fans, one is from Dallas the other from NOVA. I can tell you with certainity the one that is from NOVA starting rooting for the Cowboys just to tick off their Redskin routing parents. I think later generations were all about what team was winning at the time but prior to 1990, it was alot about rebelling against your parents.

It's always a shrinking moment when, sifting through the hordes of simple antagonists, I encounter a DC native 'Pukes fans that cites this allegiance.

It's like I am riding my righteous, dignified, DC sports allegiance, and BAM, some 'Puke fan hits me with that.

It's the damn bandwagoners drive me nuts. How many damn Giants hats/jerseys have you seen around here in the past 5 years. Straight out of the woodwork.

But, to answer the OP question, my brother-in-law. He claims Danny White and Drew Pearson as his Dallas inspiration, but it is really his need to be an antagonist that flipped his switch.

yeah, the bandwagon types are the lames. The guys who support about 5 teams over the last 5 years, or those that support the Cowboys because they hate their family members who are Skins fans. :ols:

But there is a large portion of DC area Cowboys fans who support because of George Preston Marshall being a racist.

Also, there are a lot of Redskins fans in Dallas too. Both Dallas area and the DC area are very transient.

the truth...I've even had fans like that admit it to me. I know a guy who stopped liking the Skins because they got rid of Doug Williams and became a die hard Dallas fan to spite the team

thats a little ridiculous. i'm a huge doug williams fan, but the man didnt even play after the skins let him go.

but, thats typical of 'cowboys' fans in this area. contrarian 'look at me' douchebags is all many of them really are.

My best friend since middle school is a Cowboys fan who was born and raised in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia.

I have always been militant toward bandwagon behavior, and I have given him tons of grief through the years since we met. Over time, my badgering (at least in part) led him to make a couple pilgrimages to Dallas and prove his mettle as a Cowboys fan. He knows the history of the team and did stick with them through the entertaining Dave Campo & Quincy Carter era, so he has become the only local Virginia-based Cowboys fan I tolerate without constant ribbing (but still plenty of ribbing, it's just not constant anymore).

The saving grace of our friendship may be his lifelong devotion to the Baltimore Orioles that may even rival my own. Anyone who's under 30 and an O's fan is emphatically not a pathological frontrunner, so his Cowboys fandom isn't indicative of a severe character flaw, just a mid-level character flaw. If he were a Cowboys and Yankees fan, I wouldn't be able to stand him.

I know a guy who is a Cowboys, Lakers, Yankees and NY Rangers fan. He's crazy about them. It's not some casual thing, this dude reps these teams HARD. He dresses like a complete douche. Pale, fat, white guy. Hat of one of his teams on, up and a little to the side. Still has that stupid shiny sticker on it. Sticker should just say "douchebag" on it.

Guy finally visited Dallas last year to go to a game. It was joyfully obvious that this guy was so affected by being cracked-on for never being to Dallas. What a ****ing waste of matter.

Dallas Cowboys, New York Yankees, Los Angeles Lakers. All are porbably the most popular teams around the country for their respective leagues. It really has nothing to do with them winning. It's the "glamour" or saying you are part of the "popular" concensus. I have more respect for people who live in a random place like Nebraska who become a Rams, Niners or Raiders fan, then I would if they became a Cowboys fan, because we all know why.

I've been seeing a shift in Giants gear here in Charlotte over the past 4 years. Gee, I wonder why?

Why would being a Cowboys fan be "glamorous" during an unsuccessful 15-year stretch? At least the Yanks and Lakers have enjoyed titles. I agree that there's lots of stupid Dallas fans (ESPECIALLY ones that have never been to Texas), but fans of teams that live far from the club's location are common throughout different teams and leagues.

Why would being a Cowboys fan be "glamorous" during an unsuccessful 15-year stretch? At least the Yanks and Lakers have enjoyed titles. I agree that there's lots of stupid Dallas fans (ESPECIALLY ones that have never been to Texas), but fans of teams that live far from the club's location are common throughout different teams and leagues.

It's different here.

I know a guy who is a Cowboys, Lakers, Yankees and NY Rangers fan. He's crazy about them. It's not some casual thing, this dude reps these teams HARD. He dresses like a complete douche. Pale, fat, white guy. Hat of one of his teams on, up and a little to the side. Still has that stupid shiny sticker on it. Sticker should just say "douchebag" on it.

Guy finally visited Dallas last year to go to a game. It was joyfully obvious that this guy was so affected by being cracked-on for never being to Dallas. What a ****ing waste of matter.

I feel like if you're that passionate about your squads then it doesn't matter if you were born there or visited. As long as you know your **** about your squad, you're okay by me

Archived