Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Your favorite DC born, never been to Dallas, Cowboys fan

SkinsHokieFan

Its "Dallas" week and I think the hate is lacking a bit. LKB's thread on "Boys will be Boys" always gets me a bit fired up, even though he never posted it to get a Redskins fan fired up

Now the point of this thread

Those of us who have grown up and lived in the area all know at least 1 fan of the Cowboys who has never visited Dallas. Probably has no clue where Dallas is on a map, has no idea what the "metroplex" is and were sad to see the Mavericks win the title, rather then the Lakers :ols:

I don't hate them, I simply laugh at them. At times I actually pity them

My favorite of all time was the janitor in my elementary school. No lie, this guy was the janitor and prior to 5th grade (which I started in the fall of 1992) nobody knew who the hell he was.

The night before the 1st day of 5th grade was the opening night of the season. Redskins went down to Dallas and got beat. Suddenly my man Russel decides to become friends with the 5th grade boys table in the Cafeteria and talk football. Every freakin day.

He'd never been to Dallas. Had no clue where it was in Texas. And barely knew a thing about Roger Staubach. Yet our damn janitor would come over, every day, and talk trash to us 5th graders about the Cowboys and Redskins.

Needless to say 5th and 6th grade falls were misery because of this guy. This was the peak of the Jimmy era in Dallas. 2 Superbowls. Trash talk from a guy who'd never bothered to acknowledge us before. He sure as hell wasn't wearing his busted Cowboys hat in 1989.

3 years later, at the height of the Switzer era, he decided he'd had enough. According to my younger brother the guy did a complete turn on a dime and became a, you guessed it, Broncos fan around 1997-1998. Said he always loved Elway. Loved Terrel Davis.

This week is to you Russel. May we always have Cowboy fans like you in DC :cheers:

My favorite would be a kid I worked with a few years ago. Sergio, who was actually Pakistani and not Hispanic, would talk up "his" cowboys week in and week out. And every week I'd make a bet with him on the Cowboys game or some other NFL game and he'd usually end up losing. I swear I must have taken atleast $150 from this kid alone over the course of the season. Just little $5 and $10 bets. So thanks for the extra money Sergio, you're probably broke by now cause you never could make a smart bet.

When I was working new construction I worked in a development where I'd sold some of the houses, but not the majority of them, until I took over the community in 2009. There was a guy (Al) that moved in down the street from the model home, and he stopped in occasionally to pick up packets to take back to friends and family in NJ that he was trying to convince to move down here (he was a semi-retired realtor, so he was always working a commission angle :) ).

Anyway, he stopped in after the Skins - cowboys game in like week 10 or 11 of the 2009 season, it was the game we lost 7-6 (and should've won damn it). I'm wearing my redskins necktie and he comes walking in with a dallass hat on. He asked for a couple packets, so I grabbed a few and handed them to him and said "man my boys played a hell of a game yesterday but guess we couldn't pull it out against you guys in the end". He looks at me with an expression on his face like he has no idea what the hell i'm talking about. So I pointed to my skins tie and said "i'm a skins fan, you know that right, my skins license plate on my truck". He says "oh yeah, who'd you guys play yesterday?" To which I laughingly replied, "we played the cowboys, and lost damn it". He says "oh yeah, thats right, we've got a hell of a team this year, going all the way, superbowl". I just turned around and walked back to my office.

Dumb ass cowboy bandwagon fans :doh:

DMV Cowboy fans are trolls, they just want attention.

Or it could be the fact that some of them have no friends.

When you are a loser in life you gravitate to something that makes you look and feel good. Putting little stars on everything reminds these fake fans of when they got gold stars for using the potty.

My cousin Billy. 5 years younger than me, the only boy and youngest of 6 children. Always desperate for attention, when he was younger he tried to be all like "I like both the Redskins AND the Cowboys, they're both my favorite team!" And after we all explained to him for years that such a thing was impossible, he decided to become a Cowboys fan. And the rest of his family turned to the lesser-but-still-dark-side of the Ravens in the early 2000's.

And in summation, every Cowboys fan I have met that grew up in the DC area was basically doing it because they're an attention whore. Every single one.

God I know way to many of them especially on Facebook. It's so easy to own them. You can really get them to show their true colors and their true lack of knowledge of their team and the NFL in general on Facebook. Most of them really aren't fans at all, like other people have said they just didn't get enough attention from mommy and daddy.

Well I'm gonna break the norm with you guys, my best friend is a cowboy fan and he is die hard. He has never been to Dallas, but he actually knows football, and he is the only person who I know who knows as much about sports as me.

But there is also the guy at my work, from Mississippi who is Laker, Cowboy, Red Sox fan, so yeah I know one, and no he has never been to Dallas.

The guy who says, "Yeah, the Skins can't stop our running game," but:

A. doesn't realize the Cowboys running game sucks this year

B. doesn't realize that Felix Jones is injured

C. still thinks they have Marion Barber

......yet continues to talk trash about things he's completely ignorant of.

I used to work with a chick that was originally from Arizona....(now in California) She was all about Arizona sports teams, ASU, Diamondbacks, The Suns, Wildcats....oh eeeeeeeeeexcept for the NFL...in that case it was ALL about the Cowboys. LOL. Being similar ages I put it together that she was in her mid to late teens during the 93-96 era of the Cowboys where they won 3 Superbowls.

Not surprising in the least.

Every time someone said he/she is a Cowboys fan, I ask him/her to give me 10 names of current players on that team. 99.9% failed. I hate it when I see someone said they're Cowboys or 49ers fan but never been there at all.

You see, I bet that what you're describing is actually most "sports fans." A lot of people just choose a team, make no effort to follow the team or watch the games, but do their best at trying to play along when someone who knows what they're talking about asks them about their team. I suppose that the Cowboys are a natural choice for this type of fan, so their numbers are a little bit higher. However, I think if you did the same experiment with every fan base you'd find a whole lot of the same thing.

Archived