Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Your favorite DC born, never been to Dallas, Cowboys fan

SkinsHokieFan

Even though they're unsuccessful, they still get a ton of media hype every year.

...and little credit when they do play well (like beating the Bengals on the road, and the Steelers at home in consecutive weeks). No one is really talking about Romo sits to pee recently because he's been playing well... but if throws a pick or two and the team loses, he's the scapegoat.

I just hate the media in general.

---------- Post added December-26th-2012 at 10:23 PM ----------

It's different here.

A Cowboys fan from Virginia/Maryland/DC who's never been to Dallas (Texas) would sure be an anomaly. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that you've seen a lot of those (and on a longer limb, saying they're pretty stupid lol).

It's different here.

A Cowboys fan from Virginia/Maryland/DC who's never been to Dallas (Texas) would sure be an anomaly. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that you've seen a lot of those (and on a longer limb, saying they're pretty stupid lol).

My aunt. I know the only reason she became a Cowboy fan is to annoy my uncle, her older brother. It's her personality to aggravate and pick at people and I think that was just another way of doing it. She has no knowledge of the game or the players and constantly tells me we get lucky every time we beat them, no matter how we beat them.

This is going to sound odd, but I am probably one of very few on here that is both a Redskins fan AND a Yankee fan. Grew up in CT, but my dad was a part-time yearbook photographer for the Skins when we went to the '72 Super Bowl -- so I've been lifelong.

It's annoying being around all these Vagiant fans. And all the sports talk programs talk about is what the hell the Jets are going to do with Sanchez and Tebow.

This is only marginally related to this thread but i think its at least in the spirit. My oldest son was involved with a young lady who lived in the Dallas area, whenever he flew in he would purposely wear Redskins gear just to get a rise out of the locals. When the new stadium was being built he sent me a photo of himself wearing a Stephen Davis jersey while taking a leak on the "Future Home of the Dallas Cowboys" sign.

I love that boy!

I go to DFW quite a bit for work and its kind of weird because whenever I tell people I'm a Redskins fan, they don't foam at the mouth and we'll actually have an intelligent football conversation. That never happens with a NBD Cowboys fan. Usually they'll talk smack with me about that one time they beat the Redskins in the Super Bowl (I know... I don't even bother... they insist it happened)

I go to DFW quite a bit for work and its kind of weird because whenever I tell people I'm a Redskins fan, they don't foam at the mouth and we'll actually have an intelligent football conversation. That never happens with a NBD Cowboys fan. Usually they'll talk smack with me about that one time they beat the Redskins in the Super Bowl (I know... I don't even bother... they insist it happened)

Yeah, Dallas fans from Texas are alright. They're like other NFC East team fans, passionate and (for the most part) knowledgeable.

NBD Cowboys fans, though...

But there is a large portion of DC area Cowboys fans who support because of George Preston Marshall being a racist.

I think this was accurate at one point and I know that future generations may support the Cowboys without knowing the genesis of that allegiance but let me speak from my own personal experience that the Cowboys fans in my family that I know, did not speak THAT much about the Cowboys when I was a kid, I know because I was growing up with them in DMV. We're all in the black neighborhoods at the time (mostly) and I pretty clearly recall that they were not Cowboys fans at the time, or barring that, it certainly was not a generational thing.

I won't go so far, since we were all quite young, to call my cousins bandwagon fans but they certainly didn't have the Preston Marshall excuse.

Later on in life, i would also meet a Redskins fan who did so out of antagonism towards everyone else being a Cowboys fan in Texas. Then she moved to Seattle and rooted for the Seahawks against the Redskins in a playoff game, which just showed me that women are very changeable and not to be trusted.

I think this was accurate at one point and I know that future generations may support the Cowboys without knowing the genesis of that allegiance but let me speak from my own personal experience that the Cowboys fans in my family that I know, did not speak THAT much about the Cowboys when I was a kid, I know because I was growing up with them in DMV. We're all in the black neighborhoods at the time (mostly) and I pretty clearly recall that they were not Cowboys fans at the time, or barring that, it certainly was not a generational thing.

I won't go so far, since we were all quite young, to call my cousins bandwagon fans but they certainly didn't have the Preston Marshall excuse.

Later on in life, i would also meet a Redskins fan who did so out of antagonism towards everyone else being a Cowboys fan in Texas. Then she moved to Seattle and rooted for the Seahawks against the Redskins in a playoff game, which just showed me that women are very changeable and not to be trusted.

yeah, I said that in the post you quoted. :ols:

there are a lot of bandwagoning bammas too. No doubt, I just wont paint that brush on everyone who have a legit reason.

And a large chunk of American sports fans are like that woman. They will change teams when they move somewhere else, or drop their team because an expansion team moved in to town.

And a large chunk of American sports fans are like that woman. They will change teams when they move somewhere else, or drop their team because an expansion team moved in to town.

Oops, yeah you did say that. I think I just wanted to say they're in between bandwagon and legitimate social protest as a reason for their allegiances.

I don't get the fans who do such things. I mean, if you're a Skins fan, you're a Skins fan unless the franchise folds or the entire team dons Nazi and Shinto symbols during World War II. lol In baseball I spent enough time in Philly that I'm glad the Phillies won but I would never root for them OVER the Tigers. I suppose if you're just not a big fan of that sport? I don't know. Some of these cats don't have that excuse.

I don't get the fans who do such things. I mean, if you're a Skins fan, you're a Skins fan unless the franchise folds or the entire team dons Nazi and Shinto symbols during World War II. lol In baseball I spent enough time in Philly that I'm glad the Phillies won but I would never root for them OVER the Tigers. I suppose if you're just not a big fan of that sport? I don't know. Some of these cats don't have that excuse.

not everyone is a die hard fan like me and you. Especially considering that American sports franchises are a top-down corporate entity than something that the community controls. I understand it, even if I dont like it.

There are a lot of people on this forum who did that for the Nationals.

It's kind of sad watching NBD's. There almost has to be some kind of guilt/loneliness associated with it. And again, if you're from Cali, or some other area where there isn't a team, or the team there is relatively new, and can't yet put down roots, I get it. Not here though. There are two kinds of NBD's:

The kind that feel the guilt, and buy a Cowboys encyclopedia or something, so when backed into a corner they can rattle off Roger Staubach's stats in 1973, etc, and come off very knowledgeable and passionate, but can't fully earn my respect because of NBD status.

THEN there are the "Who do we play this week?" NBD's, who are like a gnat that buzzes around your ear. Football challenged, loud, obnoxious, and who's sole purpose in life is to irritate the **** out of people. They're the worst kind.

I went to old Texas Stadium in 2006 for that SNF game. Since it was coming off the 2005 Sweep, I expected a lot more harsh treatment, but was pleasantly surprised that beyond some trash talk back and forth, I felt relatively safe and comfortable. I think if you live in the team's geographical area, or at least are from there originally, it gives you some unique insight and nuance about the rivalry and respect in general.

Out here in CA, the "Never been to TX, but Cowboys till I die, bro" epidemic is rampant, especially in my age group because the Cowboys 90's championships were happening during middle-school and just barely into high school, so of course that era bred a lot of bandwagon fans.

Out here in CA, the "Never been to TX, but Cowboys till I die, bro" epidemic is rampant, especially in my age group because the Cowboys 90's championships were happening during middle-school and just barely into high school, so of course that era bred a lot of bandwagon fans.

can you blame them? There isnt an NFL team in Sacramento.

It's kind of sad watching NBD's. There almost has to be some kind of guilt/loneliness associated with it. And again, if you're from Cali, or some other area where there isn't a team, or the team there is relatively new, and can't yet put down roots, I get it. Not here though. There are two kinds of NBD's:

The kind that feel the guilt, and buy a Cowboys encyclopedia or something, so when backed into a corner they can rattle off Roger Staubach's stats in 1973, etc, and come off very knowledgeable and passionate, but can't fully earn my respect because of NBD status.

THEN there are the "Who do we play this week?" NBD's, who are like a gnat that buzzes around your ear. Football challenged, loud, obnoxious, and who's sole purpose in life is to irritate the **** out of people. They're the worst kind.

Lol, reminds me of how you guys describe most Ravens fans.

can you blame them? There isnt an NFL team in Sacramento.

Haha. Why not just pull for one of the twenty five West Coast teams? ;)

I'm not saying someone HAS TO be local but it's one thing if someone is growing up in Oklahoma or Wyoming or even Alabama or Mississippi. It's another to grow up in a state where you have teams out the wazoo (and you can even pull for the Rams, I'd say, since they WERE in LA) but somehow magically align yourself with a "hot" team.

I have more respect for the cats who jump onto the team that hasn't won YET but is good and has some appeal. At least they are willing to put in the psychic investment to see a reward on the other end.

Lol, reminds me of how you guys describe most Ravens fans.

The only difference between Ravens fans and Cowboys fans in the DMV is that one pulls for a hated division rival behind enemy lines (a sin, unless of course you fit under the criteria I mentioned in previous posts), and the other roots for a team that I don't really care about all that much. I actually respect a lot of the Ravens players. Their fans are a different story though. They both hate the Redskins religously, and it is extended towards the Redskins fanbase. I have no ill will towards the team (BAL) itself, but the fans just irritate the hell out of me.

Haha. Why not just pull for one of the twenty five West Coast teams? ;)

I'm not saying someone HAS TO be local but it's one thing if someone is growing up in Oklahoma or Wyoming or even Alabama or Mississippi. It's another to grow up in a state where you have teams out the wazoo (and you can even pull for the Rams, I'd say, since they WERE in LA) but somehow magically align yourself with a "hot" team.

I have more respect for the cats who jump onto the team that hasn't won YET but is good and has some appeal. At least they are willing to put in the psychic investment to see a reward on the other end.

but why should they? There are a lot of Steelers, Packers, Giants, Cowboys, and even Redskins fans located in non-NFL markets because those franchises were big when the NFL became the TV behemoth it is now. Those fans in Sacramento have no allegiances to LA or Oakland or Seattle. Its like the many people from the DC area who didnt support the Orioles and rooted for the Braves or Yankees or Red Sox before the Nationals came to town.

The only thing that bothers me are the people who jump between teams but claim they are die hards or hardcore fans, but if you support one team and stay with that one team then I dont see why the validity of their fan support should be called into question.

An ex-girlfriend of mine who I learned was bat **** crazy. She is fun to make fun of.

Same. She liked them because of their colors, of all things. She could not name a single player besides "the guy with the dread locks" (Barber).

Her mom tried to have me arrested, I laugh at them all.

Also, my high school fullback, die hard cowboys fan, never been. Loves to trash talk and try to debate. His brother is an iggles fan lol

The only difference between Ravens fans and Cowboys fans in the DMV is that one pulls for a hated division rival behind enemy lines (a sin, unless of course you fit under the criteria I mentioned in previous posts), and the other roots for a team that I don't really care about all that much. I actually respect a lot of the Ravens players. Their fans are a different story though. They both hate the Redskins religously, and it is extended towards the Redskins fanbase. I have no ill will towards the team (BAL) itself, but the fans just irritate the hell out of me.

Lol, interesting insight!

I've seen a couple NBW fans here in Texas, but probably not near as many "NBDs" as you seen in the DMV.

Archived