Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Your favorite DC born, never been to Dallas, Cowboys fan

SkinsHokieFan

Theres a guy I work with...favorite teams are.....cowgirls bulls Yankees Florida st (fb ) north Carolina (bb). I mean does any list of teams scream more I grew up in the 90's and picked all the best teams as my favorite
There's a poster on ES that likes FSU in football and UNC in basketball, too.:ols: He's a good guy . But, for the life of me, I can't understand how one comes to pull for two different teams in the same conference. Makes zero sense.

And I work with a older gentleman, who is a Cowgirls and Lakers fan. And you guessed it, a Duke basketball fan. Your typical bandwagoner.

---------- Post added November-22nd-2012 at 02:49 AM ----------

I don't know if I'm being too harsh, but I view being a NBD Cowboys fan as a serious personality flaw and a red flag when meeting someone.

Have a co-worker in my office who is an NBD Cowboys fan. Constantly ranting about Romo sits to pee and his stats.

:laugh:

I honestly don't care if anyone has never been to Dallas, yet roots for them. I mean, here in NC, we didn't have an NFL team until the mid-90s. So I can understand how there are still a lot of Cowboys, Steelers, Redskins (I'm one of these :)) in this area. I've been to DC before. But I don't think it's a requirement that you have to have visited the city of the team you cheer for. As long as you aren't a bandwagoner, I couldn't care less. However, I do find it extremely odd that you guys say they are so many Dallas fans in the DMV area. Those people have issues, imo.

I'm in Sacramento, CA....and there a ton out here. They were born and raised here, had 2 local teams to choose from but chose the Cowboys. When I was growing up, in my early teens is when the Cowboys triplets Dynasty was going on....so that is when all these Cowboys fans suddenly popped up and they have all been hanging on to those memories for 20 years.

The funny part is the local sports talk radio show host, Grant Napear is a NY native, so he is a NYG fan, which makes it hilarious whenever the Giants beat the Cowboys or when the Cowboys just fold up in December like always. There are all these typical Cowboys fans who only call up after wins, and once they are eliminated from playoff hopes, you won't hear from them for a year.

It's funny to me, growing up & going to college in southern WV, that the numerous Cowboy fans there (and Kansas too for the decade + there) were sooooo much more irritating and mouthy than the Cowboy fans here in ARLINGTON, Texas! They are too many to list individually. In my little town as a youth, there were more Cowboy fans (mid/late 70's) than Redskins fans and I could never figure out why. Most of the fans here are rational and complain about their team/coaches exactly as we do. It's a very strange and odd behavior exhibited by the non-resident 'Boys fan(s) or whatever you want to call them. HTTR! :helmet:

Well I'm gonna break the norm with you guys, my best friend is a cowboy fan and he is die hard. He has never been to Dallas, but he actually knows football, and he is the only person who I know who knows as much about sports as me.

But there is also the guy at my work, from Mississippi who is Laker, Cowboy, Red Sox fan, so yeah I know one, and no he has never been to Dallas.

My high school tennis coach applies to the first paragraph. Born and raised in Virginia, but somehow likes Dallas. But he knows just about everything about the team and goes to a game in Dallas every year.

My high school athletic director, OTOH, was the epitome. He was from the Tidewater area, rooted for VA Tech in football, North Carolina in basketball, and the Cowgirls in the NFL. Disgusting.

• 1 month later...

I work with a guy, let's call him John, because that's his name.

We were talking this morning about the big game coming up, and he said "I don't want to rely on all those other scenarios for the wildcard, we just need to win the game".

Me: "Uh, John? There are no other scenarios for your team. Either you win or you don't make the playoffs."

Knowledgeable.

John also finds it challenging to name anyone on the cowboys not named Romo sits to pee, Ware, Murray, Bryant and Witten.

This I can kind of agree with. The average sports fan really knows nothing about their chosen team, and usually the sport as well. That's why sports analysis on ESPN and NFL Network is just so dumbed down and ridiculous. Because that's what sells.

The average NFL fan is not the guy who knows all the stats, knows all the players, and is into the X's and O's. The average NFL fan likes to drink beer with his buddies, or at a bar, or whatever, and just follow along. Its more of a casual interest with social repercussions. A feeling of belonging while wearing a jersey and being part of something, usually a winner. That's why bandwagon fans exist, and why bad teams' games get blacked out.

I'm not saying that the two "types" of fans can't coexist, or that they don't cross over (I DO love me some beer. :)), just that that's how it is.

I know a SINGLE person in my life that I can REALLY talk in-depth football with. And I'm surrounded by fans of teams that have recently known success: Pats, Jets, Giants. So there's no excuse, really.

The rest (and by rest, I mean the majority) of my stimulating football conversation comes from here, on ES.

ES isn't just addicting because we're all Redskins fans, although that's awesome too. Its addicting because guys really interested in having in-depth, intelligent football conversation just CANNOT normally find that in person in their everyday lives.

Because the average football fan is an idiot, in terms of their knowledge of the NFL.

Yeah if it wasn't for stupid dumb**** we could have real conversations.

On the bandwagon note: I had to deal with so many of them growing up in Stafford. It seemed like there were a million of them and here's me in my Redskin jersey and jackets(Terry allen, brian mitchell,etc). Sadly I'm friends with a few who I never hear a peep from unless they are doing well. Luckily I have a lot of steeler friends,packer,Rams,etc who can't stand the cowboys. My best friend is a Eagles fan but he's from Philly. He was actually glad they lost because he wanted the Skins to take the division plus he can't stand the cowboys.

Great friend from HS was (and always has been) a Boys fan and a Yankees fan, yet he was born and raised in Virginia. he stayed a Boys fan during thier low years in the late 80s and then he went into the Marines after HS and I lost touch with him until Facebook a few years ago. To his credit, his loyalties have not waivered over the years... .still see posts on the Boys and Yanks from him.

There are of fans of many teams across different leagues/sports that have never been to the host town of their favorite club. It's kind of funny that you focus on Dallas, though.

We have small yet very loud group of obnoxious Cowboys fans in the DC, Maryland, and Virgina (DMV) area. It's a bizarre yet annoying phenomenon we may never understand. I have studied some of these "fans" in the past and unfortunately have been unable to reach any conclusions. Was it because their mothers held them too much or not enough, was he last picked at kickball, or was there a late night sneaky uncle? Who knows, however the bottom line is that these people are trolls.

Some other Skins fans have weighed in on this troubling phenomenon:

If you're a male who grew up in these parts and you chose the Cowboys, there is a 90% chance that it had nothing to do with football. You were getting picked on in school (and naturally, most everyone else was for the home team). But it had to be that way; you were an annoying kid and you brought it upon yourself. Eventually, you decided that the only thing to do was to join up with a bunch of other wholly unlikable people, and this alliance gave you the courage to let your feelings out by being even more obnoxious all the time. It's great that you all finally found a place where you belong. I'm happy for you.
Why do you like the CAPS and not the DALLAS STARS? All Dallas fans from here who have never been to Dallas jumped on the Staubach and Aikman bandwagon. When you choose a team outside of your home team it shows a lack of loyalty. You chose a team strictly because they were good and for no other reason. You're probably a decent person, but as a sports fan i have no respect for you.
Isn't it embarrassing to be a Cowboys fan from the DMV? Always having to explain your irrational choice of team to others, doesn't that get old? I just don't get it. It's a character flaw, somebody who isn't loyal to their hometown or proud of where they're from. Talking to a DMV Boys fan is usually like talking to an obnoxious child acting out to get attention. All I can do is shake my head and be grateful that I am not, or ever will be, one of them.

One of my best friends. Cowboys and Lakers fan. :rolleyes:

I tell him that all he needs is Duke and the Yankees.

Cowboy fans in DMV = people who didn't get enough attention growing up.

It's funny how often you see this.

Someone driving a car with Cowboys flags, a Lakers sticker on the back wearing a Yankees hat. Total Bandwagon fan to the popular teams, a total joke...

http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/705/cowboyscapture.png

Anyone saying that issues like above are nothing new, I challenge you to find another NFL city that has so many bandwagons of a rival team that's over 1300 miles away. It is an epidemic. The only way you'll understand is if you come here.

:ols:

That particular poster floors me. Has a Nationals Avatar but is a huge Cowboys fan

:wtf:

Archived