Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Your favorite DC born, never been to Dallas, Cowboys fan

SkinsHokieFan

You see, I bet that what you're describing is actually most "sports fans." A lot of people just choose a team, make no effort to follow the team or watch the games, but do their best at trying to play along when someone who knows what they're talking about asks them about their team. I suppose that the Cowboys are a natural choice for this type of fan, so their numbers are a little bit higher. However, I think if you did the same experiment with every fan base you'd find a whole lot of the same thing.

This I can kind of agree with. The average sports fan really knows nothing about their chosen team, and usually the sport as well. That's why sports analysis on ESPN and NFL Network is just so dumbed down and ridiculous. Because that's what sells.

The average NFL fan is not the guy who knows all the stats, knows all the players, and is into the X's and O's. The average NFL fan likes to drink beer with his buddies, or at a bar, or whatever, and just follow along. Its more of a casual interest with social repercussions. A feeling of belonging while wearing a jersey and being part of something, usually a winner. That's why bandwagon fans exist, and why bad teams' games get blacked out.

I'm not saying that the two "types" of fans can't coexist, or that they don't cross over (I DO love me some beer. :)), just that that's how it is.

I know a SINGLE person in my life that I can REALLY talk in-depth football with. And I'm surrounded by fans of teams that have recently known success: Pats, Jets, Giants. So there's no excuse, really.

The rest (and by rest, I mean the majority) of my stimulating football conversation comes from here, on ES.

ES isn't just addicting because we're all Redskins fans, although that's awesome too. Its addicting because guys really interested in having in-depth, intelligent football conversation just CANNOT normally find that in person in their everyday lives.

Because the average football fan is an idiot, in terms of their knowledge of the NFL.

Hmm. Going to have to search the memory banks,(such as they are :silly: ),to remember a few that I have met over the years. Though just this past Sunday at the store,the cashier who helped me was a Maryland born Cowboys fan. I was sporting my Redskins hat and shirt so that's what started the conversation. I was very polite of course. Didn't want him to accidentally on purpose add a few zeros to my final total. :silly:

The only purpose this thread is serving is to piss me off. It wouldn't be so bad if they just kept to themselves. But the fact that they are so disrespectful and act like there is something wrong with YOU for being a Redskins fan in Virginia just infuriates me. I tell people I don't go around dallas and tell them all to take off their dallas jerseys and act like an ass to everyone. So I guess it comes down to them having no respect or manners.

My favorite is the Cowboys fan that is also a Lakers and Yankees fan.

My god! I thought I was the only person to know someone that was the Ultimate bandwagon fan but I guess others do exsist...

although she can talk cowboys football so i will give her that.

My favorite is the Cowboys fan that is also a Lakers and Yankees fan.

a friend of mine (actually good guy, just misguided) has the following allegiances:

nfl: cowboys

nba: lakers

cfb: fighting irish

cbb: hoyas

if that's not 4 of the most bandwagon teams of all time (we were forming our allegiances in the 80's) i don't know what is. credit to him, he stuck it out thru the sedale threatt years, the esherick years, still is diehard notre dame, and cowboys thru all the mess of the 2000's.

My younger sister.

I know for a fact she became a Cowboys fan to just piss off the rest of my family and I, who are all Redskins fans.

She did it to get attention.

Well she got it in a negative way (We have had many family arguments over this) and now we can't talk football at any family gatherings because of her.

I use to work with a guy that was from South Carolina who would always talk smack about how good the Cowboys were but switched all the time between the Cowboys and the Panthers, depending on which team was winning at the time. I asked him why he was a Cowboy fan and the reason was due to the TV viewing area in South Carolina playing Redskins games all the time when Carolina didn't have a team. So he went with the hated rival because of it. I loved the year where Carolina came into our place the favorite and they got destroyed and that same year was the Brunell to Moss connection that gave us the win by coming from behind. I never saw a guy full of excuses and someone that avoided every Redskin fan at work.

I don't have any Cowboy friends, but living down here in Richmond you'd think we were in Dallas. The area is filled with "Never been to Dallas" fans. Being a Nascar fan and a Cowboy fan seem to go hand in hand in the Richmond area. Most of these people couldn't tell you who Drew Pearson or Harvey Martin was. :doh:

I'm not sure I can name just one, since I've met so many.

I went to middle school in Landover, Maryland and probably 60% of the kids were bandwagon Cowboys fans. It was disgraceful. When we played flag football in gym for a couple months, my team was named the Cowboys, and I was the only person on the team who voted against that name. I'm still ashamed about playing as a Cowboy.

On a another note, my elementary school P.E. teacher made the entire class learn "Hail to the Redskins". I think that should be a requisite to graduate from a school in Maryland or Virginia.

I am not friends with any of these Cowfrauds fans born and raised in the DC area yet "root" for Dallas. They are a joke. I used to get riled up but they are just posers looking for attention. They look for attention and honestly they get what they want. Its a personality flaw if you want my honest opinion. Why someone would hate on the home town team and root for the enemy says something about their character, period. They cant and wont be taken seriously. They are more Skins haters than "Dallas" fans. The easiest way to rile up a Skins fan is to either wear a shirt that says "REDSKINS SUCK" or.......just find a Cowboys shirt and rock it. Now, I have met one actual real live human from Dallas that I am good friends with who lives in Bethesda that roots for the Dallas' teams. Actually a pretty solid dude, he actually makes fun of the bandwagoners. If I am out at the store or around town and have Skins gear on and I pull out my cc with the Skins logo on it the only people who ever chime in and MAKE SURE to get attention are cowfraud "fans". They absolutley LOVE the attention far more than they like the "cowboys". Its beyond a joke at this point.

Anyone born in DC, Maryland or VA who is a Cowboys fan just did it because everyone else in the area was a Redskins fan. They want to be different. That's all it is. They are probably the same retards I see in the bars sporting Pittsburgh jerseys when they play the Ravens. Just STFU and go away. Pls.

If the Redskins keep on winning we'll have about 1500 people logged onto this board all claiming to be die hard skins fans that bleed maroon and black. I hate those people just as much :)

Archived