Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Can I coin the nickname "Stankerson?" (edit-Just a joke. Relax.)

Chachie

What I loved about tonight is that after his initial drop, he came right back and had some very good catches, over the middle, got open, sat down and caught the ball with his hands.

He's learning.

That's the best way to get over a hitch. Come right back and do it right.

What I loved about tonight is that after his initial drop, he came right back and had some very good catches, over the middle, got open, sat down and caught the ball with his hands.

He's learning.

Yeah thats what I liked about it. He didn't get discourage and half-ass it, instead he tried even harder and you saw the effort and saw him improve.

Loved seeing him get the two good catches after his drop.

To be honest, I don't think he has bad hands at all. I think its all mental/concentration. When he focuses on the ball, follows it in, and catches it with his hands the ball just sticks. He seems to be quite nervous and tentative when he first gets out on the field, and he seems to get more and more comfortable the longer he's out on the field.

Out of all our new players and rookies, I think Hank was the one most affected by the lockout. The guy only have a couple of weeks to learn the playbook before being thrusted into the game which is tough for any rookie, but especially WR. Once he gets the playbook down, he'll be able to focus more on route running. Once he gets his route running technique down for this offense I don't think the drop problem will be an issue anymore.

I think we'll see him progress as the season goes on.

To be honest, I don't think he has bad hands at all. I think its all mental/concentration.

This is almost always the case when dealing with a guy who can make spectacular catches but drops the routine ones. On the spectacular ones, they have to focus in to catch them. They have no choice. They aren't necessarily worried about YAC, they are worried about catching the ball. It's the routine catches where they are thinking "TURN IT UP!!!" that wind up hurting them.

Loved seeing him get the two good catches after his drop.

To be honest, I don't think he has bad hands at all. I think its all mental/concentration. When he focuses on the ball, follows it in, and catches it with his hands the ball just sticks. He seems to be quite nervous and tentative when he first gets out on the field, and he seems to get more and more comfortable the longer he's out on the field.

Out of all our new players and rookies, I think Hank was the one most affected by the lockout. The guy only have a couple of weeks to learn the playbook before being thrusted into the game which is tough for any rookie, but especially WR. Once he gets the playbook down, he'll be able to focus more on route running. Once he gets his route running technique down for this offense I don't think the drop problem will be an issue anymore.

I think we'll see him progress as the season goes on.

^^^This. I think all of his issues do not stem from having bad hands but lacking concentration. On his drop last night he obviously was more concerned with running before he caught the ball. This kid could develop quite nicely for us with some good coaching from Keenan.

Hankerson was better than his first pre-season game.

IMO, he's still adjusting to the pro-level game; no doubt trying to get used to the speeed of the game, the complexity of the routes, the level of competition, and probably the hits too. Add to the mix that he's a new player on a new team loaded with competitive WR candidates and it's very likely the 'nerves factor' has to be coming into play. I suspect the lockout probably hurt this guy the most -- he needs time to develop the muscle memory and mental state to really settle in and show what he's got.

I give most NFL WRs around 3 years to show what they can bring -- not 3 passes.

Hankerson just needs to play within himself and develop confidence. I recall last night that he snagged a pass that was not an easy catch --it seems his hands will be fine, once he settles down. His route running seemed a little more crisp than the first game. I think it premature for the media to be dwelling on all his negatives, and declare him a bust.

No doubt McCardell will be helping all the new WRs get better, I think he's a great WRs coach. And with all of Hankersons physical attributes, I can't help but feel he could have a very high cieling.

....We'll just have to be patient and watch what develops.

Man it's threads like this very one that irks me ! Then we Skinz fans wonder why none of are draft picks never pan out. Stop it already! Hankerson showed me some things last night.He (when he caught the ball) looked nice in space.I think He's just hitting that rookie curb,no OTA's,not a lot of practices,he's still trying to adjust to the NFL. People just wait and see the final result,stop putting so much pressure on the poor kid.Look at Rogers he had to much pressure on him to catch the ball,so he dropped a lot of passes.Ha! I bet Rogers will catch int's now that he's paying with another team.Just like Walt Harris did. SMMFH

Calling for his head already is ridiculous. Conversly, so was hilding out hope for Thomas. Middle ground, people. Keep it medium. :P

That's true, but what i find encouraging is Thomas & Kelly were having a difficult time getting separation early on. That didn't seem to be a problem for Hank yesterday. He was targeted 4 times, open all 4 times, and came away with 3 catches.

Fortunately Shanny is a lot smarter than the folks here. The folks here probably would have cut Brandon Marshall after the first of his many drops in his career.

We have seen Marko Mitchell in preseason look like the next R.Moss in preseason. We have to wait and see how Hankerson pans out in the regular season.Yes, the regular season, when things actually count. He's young but he looked very nice out of the 3 passes he caught out of the 4 times he was targeted.

Anyone talking about Hankerson getting cut or being a wasted pick seriously has not been watching football very long, or very closely. Rookie wide receivers always struggle. Hankerson actually looks more advanced than most other than his drops. From everything I've heard and read about him he has a tireless work ethic and a real stand up guy. Like someone else said the lockout really hurt him, but I fully expect him to come on and be at least the 3rd receiver by the end of the year. It just takes time.

ATTENTION: Andre Johnson just dropped a pass from Matt Schaub. We must coin the nickname "Dropson" now

He really did. Ran a deep crossing route, looked upfield early, and let the ball get into his body.

I just posted this on twitter... I guess they should cut Dre now. His drop was just like Hank's from game 2.

To be honest, I didn't read all of the pages in this thread but I do agree with the sentiment that this is a worthless thread. Furthermore, beyond the lack of OTA's and off season program, he also has to catch quite a different set of passes from the likes of Grossman, Beck, Clemens, etc. I would have to believe it's hard to get used to being in the middle of the pack on the depth chart and therefore having to try and develop any type of chemistry with his QB when I have a feeling he's getting reps with quite a few of them. For someone like Moss or Gaffney who've been playing for years with a multitude of quarterbacks, it's not even close to fair to label him anything other that promising at this point in time. Especially with how well he bounced back!

Archived