Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Can I coin the nickname "Stankerson?" (edit-Just a joke. Relax.)

Chachie

if you watched the replay of the first route, he clearly was uncomfortable. didnt make a good break and really didnt seem to know what he was doing.

on the second throw his way, he tried to catch it with his body instead of his hands.

rookie mistakes and jitters. im not concerned.

I agree, plus what did the Comb do last night? Hank is the big guy we need inside, he will beat himself up over this and out work this set-back. I predict he has a fantastic career here, though the rookie season maybe come with a learning curve.

---------- Post added August-13th-2011 at 03:57 PM ----------

Its mine. You all can use it. :)

Honestly, this poor guy is having a severe mental block.

I don't want it, you can have it.

Here'a quick breakdown of the "WR Three Year Rule". It's about fantasy football, but stats are stats:

http://www.footballdocs.com/WR_three_year_rule.html

Wide Receiver Three Year Rule

Updated: August 8, 2011

Original Release: June 28, 2003

Unlike their running back counterparts, wide receivers as a whole are a little trickier to target during your fantasy football draft. Cleary some of the bigger household names are givens when it comes to drafting, but starting in the middle rounds of your draft, things become a little more difficult to predict with respect to which wide receivers to select. With a running back, you pretty much know what you are getting. If healthy, talented, and on the first team, a running back will produce and positively contribute to your fantasy football team regardless of whether the running back is a rookie or a seasoned veteran. However, this is not the case with a wide receiver. Talent will only get a wide receiver so far, so fast. With two, three, and even four wide receiver sets in the NFL, it is not enough to be on the first team or have experience beyond a rookie year. It is also not enough to be healthy and loaded with God-given athletic ability. There is a huge adjustment factor involved for wide receivers. Adjustments must be made to harder hitting, quicker NFL secondaries. Adjustments must be made to an entirely new playbook and routes. Adjustments must be made to a brand new quarterback that throws entirely differently than what a wide receiver was previously used to in college. In fact, one of the most critical aspects for a wide receiver is developing the trust and timing from his quarterback. Run a route wrong or be slightly off in timing against NFL caliber defenses translates to six going the other way and an upset quarterback that just got an interception he didn't deserve. A good relationship between a quarterback and wide receiver does not develop overnight. It takes time...

How much time does it take for a rookie wide receiver to adjust to the NFL?

Typically between one to three full NFL seasons with the mean, median, and mode of the data indicating two full NFL seasons. Consequently, entering their third year of NFL play is most likely when a wide receiver will blossom, hence the name of the "Wide Receiver Three Year Rule". To help drive this point home, let's examine the performance of wide receivers taken in the 1998 - 2008 NFL drafts). Under each year, statistics are given in a receiving yards / TDs format. It is important to note that many wide receivers drafted never amount to anything. To help make the tables a little more clear, only wide receivers that either eventually broke out or were selected in the first round of the NFL draft are listed.

Continued at link with tables showing career progression of WR's drafted between 1998 and 2008. Here's the table for WR's from the 2001 draft:

2001WRDraft540x251.jpg

If he has a couple more games like last night and the other WR's (Niles Paul especially) show, would you use a roster spot on him just because of the higher sunk cost? It's not a decision I'd like to have to make, but it wouldn't be a hard decision if he wasn't dropping everything in sight so far. A couple good games could turn this around -- it's early. I hope he turns it on.

He's not dropping everything in sight though. He had one drop and one catch.

He is just a kid with a full plate. But still, why the drops?

slick gloves. slow to turn the head. looking to RAC too early. Afraid of getting popped? Concentrating too hard on trying to run shanny grade precision routes? Trying to catch with his body not his hands, or vice versa? I can see a directive from the Shanny's making him reinvent the wheel. Keep at it kid.

The thread title is lame

Here'a quick breakdown of the "WR Three Year Rule". It's about fantasy football, but stats are stats:

http://www.footballdocs.com/WR_three_year_rule.html

Continued at link with tables showing career progression of WR's drafted between 1998 and 2008. Here's the table for WR's from the 2001 draft:

2001WRDraft540x251.jpg

I think that data was interpreted from a Fantasy Football perspective rather than a value perspective. What I see there is that most receivers have shown SOMETHING by the end of their second season, many in their first. Chris Chambers receiving 963 yards in his 3rd season doesn't outweigh the fact that he received over 850 yards in his rookie season. So I think this "3rd season" mantra is a little misleading - most receivers can either come in and contribute right away, or in their second season.

The thing about Hankerson is this - this is the first time where I honestly am not worried whether or not he turns out to be a bust. Who cares? We have a lot of young guys waiting in the wing ready to compete and take his spot. If Hankerson doesn't pan out, we have Austin, Paul, and Banks. Yeah, they don't have his size, but they still have playmaking potential. With Kelly and Thomas it was totally different. We had a 30+ year-old James Thrash as one of our top receivers. We desperately NEEDED one of them to succeed. This year, it doesn't look like we need Hankerson. If he pans out, GREAT. But if he doesn't, we've got young, hungry guys waiting for their chance.

yup, I didn't know he had Carlos Rogers hands when he was drafted. It's bad on a cornerback, but it's ridiculous on a receiver.

You know I am so tired of defending this guy but what is right is right. He is going to be a very good wideout for the team that sticks with him, I hope that is the Redskins. And I think it will be, because the guys that drafted him know more than you and I. We got a steal on this guy, trust the guys in the draft room on this one.

http://draftbreakdown.com/scouting-report-leonard-hankerson?utm_campaign=twitter&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitter

Leonard Hankerson

Position: WR

School: Miami

Height: 6’1 1/2"

Weight: 209 lbs

Class:Senior

40 time:4.43

All-Star Game:

Senior Bowl

Team Captain:

Draft Projection:

2nd Round

Summary

Leonard Hankerson finally lived up to his potential as a senior after being a highly touted recruit out of high school. With an excellent size/speed ratio, Hankerson began his ascent on draft boards after a fairly dominating Senior Bowl week, culminating with 5 catches for 100 yards and a touchdown in the game. He possesses great leaping ability and the ability to make the amazing catch. A hard worker, Hankerson has worked diligently to improve his game and has gotten better every single year. NFL teams will love his make-up as he is a high character and mature player who was voted a team captain in 2010. He should be drafted somewhere in the second round and may prove to be one of the more consistent wide receivers in this class.

Route Running/Separation

Hankerson has nice long arms that he uses to create separation against press coverage. He is an inconsistent route runner, but definitely has improved over time. He struggles to get his hips low and explode out of cuts. Hankerson takes time to build up to top speed and is not overly explosive off the snap. He creates separation by being a smart football player and setting up his breaks well. He also has great top-end speed and defenders have to respect his ability to get deep. Hankerson has good lateral agility but just marginal strength. He plays with a great motor and doesn’t cut routes off early. He is a bit of a long-strider. Hankerson creates his best separation on seam routes and drag routes.

Hands

Hankerson has huge hands (10 5/8”) but has struggled with inconsistency catching the ball his whole career. He improved greatly as a senior, so the feeling is he should continue to improve at the next level. When he is struggling, he has the tendency to let the ball get into his body instead of catching it with his hands, and sometimes looks to make a move before the ball has arrived. He has a nice big wingspan which gives him a large catching radius. Hankerson makes a ton of one-handed catches.

After the Catch

Hankerson has good top-end speed and has the ability to run away from defenders. He is not overly evasive or sudden after making a catch, and won’t make defenders miss with sheer quickness. He improved his toughness over time and is willing to try and run through arm tackles. He displays good vision and finds opening in the defense to run to.

Athleticism/Body Control

Hankerson displays great athleticism and body control, especially when leaping high in the air to make a tough catch. He displays good balance and has the ability to shield defenders from the ball. He adjusts well to poorly thrown balls and also improvises well when a play breaks down.

Blocking

Hankerson is a finesse blocker and only displays marginal strength. He is willing to block however, which teams will like, he just needs to get stronger and improve on his technique. He lets the defender get into his body instead of attacking and doesn’t display the type of aggressiveness teams ultimately like to see.

Additional Information

In high school, Hankerson also played basketball and ran track. His high school wide receivers coach happened to be former NFL wide receiver, and 8-time Pro Bowler, Cris Carter, and Hankerson also enlisted the help of former Miami Dolphins star Mark Duper to help him improve his route running.

Production/Experience

2010: Played in 13 games with 11 starts.

2009: Played in 13 games with 12 starts.

2008: Played in 8 games with 2 starts.

2007: Played in 7 games with 2 starts.

Academics

Hankerson is a sports administration major.

Awards & Honors

2010: Named SI.com All-American honorable mention, All-ACC First-Team, won the Jack Harding Award as the Miami team MVP, won the College Football Performance Awards Elite Wide Receiver Trophy.

Does anyone ever remember Jerry Rice's 1st year? Yeah! He too had a stinking 1st year with tons of drops.

Let's be patient with Hank, and evaluate him at the end of pre-season. On the flip-side, Niles made the most of his opportunities.

On a side note, Robinson, didn't shine either.

http://proprospects.wordpress.com/2011/01/20/leonard-hankerson-scouting-report/

Ball Skills: Started his college career with poor-average ball skills. Has continued to work on his focus and hands, and is one of the most improved players in the nation. Uses every inch of his frame and his large wing span to high point the ball. Attacks the ball and uses his strong hands to pluck it from the sky. Is a pure hands catcher. Does a nice job at having his hands spread and in the ready position before the ball arrives. Focus has improved over the years. Catches the easy balls as well as the hard ones. Has a knack for making one handed catches. Knows how to use his body to his advantage. Boxes out defenders like how a basketball player would box out for a rebound. Has good balance and body control. Knows how to adjust to poorly thrown balls.

Big play ability: Starts off slow, but has good top end speed because of his long stride. Is a huge threat deep down the field. Is a smooth runner that can lull defenders to sleep. Does well with the ball in his hands. Isn’t very elusive or quick, but can pick up yards after the catch by using his size and strength. Requires a lot of attention in the redzone.

Competitiveness/ Toughness: Competes for every ball. Never concedes a pass to a defender. Not afraid to go over the middle and make a play. Doesn’t shy away from contact after the catch.

Intangibles: 2010 All-ACC 1st Team. Has been mentored by some of the best. All-Pro receiver, Cris Carter was his high school receivers coach. Works out with NFL great Mark Duper during the offseason. Mature young man. Teammates call him “Old Man”. Juggles the responsibilities of being a student athlete and father of two.

Overall Stock: Leonard Hankerson has shown great discipline and work ethic during his tenure at Miami. He was highly touted out of high school, and things didn’t start off so well in college. He had a difficult time focusing, often dropping easy balls. It took him some time to adjust to the college game. He eventually buckled down and worked his butt off to become one of the top receivers in the nation in 2010. Hankerson has the size, hands, and big play ability to be a solid receiver in the NFL. At his size, he is very versatile. He has experience playing outside the hashes and in the slot. With his huge frame, he has proven to be quite dangerous in the slot. He knows how to sit in empty zones and work the seams, similar to Saints receiver, Marques Colston. The team that drafts him can line him up all over the field to create mismatches. Hankerson isn’t in the same class as AJ Green and Julio Jones, but that doesn’t mean he isn’t a quality receiver. With further development, he can become a bonafide number one receiver. Right now, he is a solid number two. Look for Hankerson to come off the board in round two.

NFL Comparisons: Braylon Edwards and Marques Colston

I think that data was interpreted from a Fantasy Football perspective rather than a value perspective. What I see there is that most receivers have shown SOMETHING by the end of their second season, many in their first. Chris Chambers receiving 963 yards in his 3rd season doesn't outweigh the fact that he received over 850 yards in his rookie season. So I think this "3rd season" mantra is a little misleading - most receivers can either come in and contribute right away, or in their second season.

I have no idea what you're talking about.

There are 10 tables of WR classes from 1998-2008 at the link. Very, very rarely do WR's come out of the gate swinging like RB's do. It's a much more complex position and it takes some time to learn, adjust and grow. It normally takes a couple of years. After three years you'll know. That's the point.

Well we have to keep 6 receivers. Putting on my coaching hat here is my 6.

1. Santana Moss

2. Jabar Gaffney

3. Anthony Armstrong

4. Terrance Austin

5. Brandon Banks

6. Leonard Stankerson (gotta give this guy a better chance.)

Gotta say goodbye to Malcom. Fact is he cant stay healthy. Stallworth looked nice but would rather have the youth in Austin and the PR and KR ability of Banks.

Stash Niles Paul on the practice squad.

Archived