Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Official Superman: Man of Steel Thread

sly

I HATE Superman the character. Hes too "perfect" and that makes him boring...

From the trailers it looks like they're going to show Superman's dark/troubled side. How does an alien with superpowers co-exist in a world with humans? Why should be give a damn about them? Why should he protect them? I think there are some brilliant story potentials. I'm very much looking forward to this movie.

I'm not sure how I feel about the new Superman. Part of me is intrigued if its in a darker style, but I HATE Superman the character. Hes too "perfect" and that makes him boring...

Perfect in what way? He has weaknesses, just like any other DC or Marvel character. For example, Batman constantly owns his ass, even though Superman is more powerful (physically) then Batman.

A bit apprehensive at this point, given the cast. And that pic doesn't help (dude and costume looks lame to me, sorry). What faith I can muster is based on knowing that those involved may know what NOT to do.

Yep, how many times has Superman been rebooted now? I'm not sure why but Superman has always failed to inspire, or engage as a character. Maybe because there is no real internal conflict to make him interesting...oh and that picture looks like more of the same. And after the incredibles we know the weakness of capes. :D

• 3 weeks later...

Christopher Nolan: Superman is more challenging than Batman

http://movies.msn.com/movies/article.aspx?news=782220

Sending Superman aloft again is a tougher task than resurrecting Batman, contends Christopher Nolan, who is producing Warner Bros.' "Man of Steel," which director Zack Snyder is readying for a June 14 release.

"Zack was the perfect man to take this on," Nolan says. "He is unbelievably skilled at creating a coherent, cohesive world -- whether it's a very stylized world, like '300,' or something that's more challenging, more varied, like he did with 'Watchmen.'"

Nolan added: "In my honest appraisal, taking on Superman and creating that world is far more difficult than creating the world of the Dark Knight. He has a lot of finishing to do on the movie -- it has a very long postproduction schedule because, unlike Batman, Superman flies.

"I actually feel guilty talking about it because I'm sitting here having nothing to do to it," he concluded. "I try to be as supportive as I can, and I'm just amazed by what he is doing. It's not something I would know how to do.

Christopher Nolan: Superman is more challenging than Batman

http://movies.msn.com/movies/article.aspx?news=782220

More and more its apparent Nolan just got paid to attach is name to this to lend credibility to the project. Having said that, I have never been a fan of Superman (outside of Lois and Clark: The New Adventures... when I was little) because he is too overpowered and his villians and plots have all been very poorly represented in his movies. The poster a few up is correct, there was never any attachment.

However, I am on board with this one. The trailers so far really seem to signal a struggle internally and it might actually highlight the difficulty of being this powerful alien that is supposed to be looked at as an inspiration. So far from what I have seen, it has struck a chord with me on an emotional level that none of the other movies or mediums ever have (though I hear Smallville is fantastic).

I guess we will see how the final product comes together.

The hard thing for me to understand is why Superman is so invested in humankind. He could easily enslave us and rule. Or go about his life uncaring, as nothing would potentially hinder his life. That is why I never really felt vested in him. Cliche' 'so and so killed my grandfather / family / etc' aside, how do they get you to be on his side?

I hope this is explored and we feel connected.

Not thrilled about this movie so far. It looks like weepy emo crap to me, which works for Batman but isn't Superman.

Nolan's movies tend to be a little slow and heavy. Snyder ... well, I think he's fairly terrible. This movie looks like it may get butchered the same way Watchmen was.

Hope that's not the case. I have a 13 year-old son so I'm gonna end up seeing it in the theatres regardless.

• 2 months later...

Zack Snyder’s Man of Steel is “The Best Movie of the Year” According to an Early Screening

There are a lot of movies to look forward to this summer, but perhaps none more so than Zack Snyder’s Man of Steel. Comic book movie fans are anxious for each new trailer, bit of footage or marketing release. We all want to know if the Zack Snyder directed, Christopher Nolan “grandfathered” and produced film will live up to our expectations for the match.

Though the response to the trailers has been primarily positive, some still feel some concern that the film will be too dark, lack action, fail to capture Supes’ charm or that Snyder will pull a Sucker Punch and disappoint us all. Well, a source over at JoBlo was able to see a very early screening of the film and they are saying that, not only is there nothing to worry about, but this is the “best movie of the year.”

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/02/28/zack-snyders-man-of-steel-is-the-best-movie-of-the-year-according-to-early-screenings

Also, rumors are hot and heavy that the WB has scrapped all future comic book plans off the initial success of Man of Steel and is signing up Nolan to oversee the Justice League universe. And he's bringing Zach Snyder and Christian Bale and Henry Cavill with him.

• 1 month later...

Archived