Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Official Superman: Man of Steel Thread

sly

I loved superman returns too but this could be very cool.

I loved the throwback stuff in Superman Returns (intro credits, Clark Kent look and Routh was totally channeling Reeves). Other than that, whenever I watch it again, it's just frustratingly stupid 50% of the time. Louis Lane's unlikable, there's a silly Super kid story line, and Lex Luther tries to do the exact same thing as in the previous movies.

Problem with any superman remake is that most people see Christopher Reeve in their mind when they think of Superman. Anyone else just looks weird, especially if the director tries to make him look like Reeve. That was the problem with the last film from 2006 (plus a dumb plot).

I'm Torn. The cast seems good. However with the news that Zod is going to be the villian, I am no so sure. I agree with others. The suit in the pict looks lame. The actor doesn't sell me as superman either.

I think a lot of you just can't let the Reeve Superman go. I still think Superman: The Movie is the holy grale of superhero movies, but lets give this one a chance.

WIth those involved in this film I am more than willing to give it a chance...one of the biggest challenges (IMO) is...the music...Superman is so identified with that opening fanfare if they use it some people may expect to see another Christopher Revee movie...it could prove to be interesting.

I think a lot of you just can't let the Reeve Superman go. I still think Superman: The Movie is the holy grale of superhero movies, but lets give this one a chance.

It is not like Reeve was an amazing actor in that movie. People talking about the "curl" Superman has had that forever it seems.

And you mean "grail". Although I wouldn't say that was it. I can't say what was...but that movie was not that great.

I grew up on that movie. It was never a huge hit in my book. My concerns have nothing to do with someone replacing Reeves. It has to do with doing superman some justice. That actor in the picture doesn't impress me as superman material. And the villian they chose bores me. However that's just my opinion. I truely hope this movie rocks and revives the franchise.

I think a lot of you just can't let the Reeve Superman go.

Here's some advice that serve you well if you plan to make it here for the long haul: don't make sweeping assumptions about you "knowing" what others must be thinking, or that it must be something "faulty", just because they differ from your take on such basically subjective matters. :)

I have no particular fealty to Reeve's Superman look/uni for instance. But, sure, as far as his playing the role (in the first film, primarily), and allowing that his look was certainly on a par with the best of others to date (some of us need to see more of the newest edition) Chris Reeves has offered the best product so far by the consensus of almost all critics/fans. I have been watching superman since George Reeves played him. As of now, I think the pics of new guy in civvies looks way too "beefcake" and "Gold's GYM supplement ad guy" even compared to Tom Welling's (hope you're cringing) OR Routh's OR Reeve's Clark Kent. The supe costume still looks too plastic-y and "fake-muscly" like some of the bad Batman unis. And like I said, it's a hell of a hard uni to pull off. Routh did pretty good and his uni worked well. I thought the brief glances of Welling in the uni on their season finale looked pretty good tho it was hard to get that much from the shots. Even the hair-do's on the new guy look off to me compared to the others. But I am more than ready to change my mind as future photos appear and will definitely be wanting the movie to succeed--I will be pulling for the actor and the film. :)

I was looking forward to this but man, I have to say I'm not a huge fan of Nolan. I thought both 'The Dark Knight' and 'Inception' were overrated. Not bad movies by any stretch, but not deserving of the hype that was bestowed on them.

Nolan troubles me somewhat. I want to love his projects because they're very well envisioned and have an undeniable visceral appeal... but they all seem to fall just shy of their potential somehow.

I'm not as concerned about Nolan as I am Snyder. Is this going to be a 300, Watchmen, Sucker Punch type comic movie? I'm having a really hard time resolving 300 with Superman.
Can you say Oscar Awards?

SupermanSpartan.jpg?a=26

THIS. IS. METROPOLIS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The pic in the OP looks more like Bizarro than Superman. I think its the heavy brow and dead eyes.

Something about Cavill doesn't look right.

He looks too old for me. If this first movie is going to be an origins story I think he looks too old. And what is with the reverse of the curl. He has it when he is Clark Kent now and not Superman.

Here's some advice that serve you well if you plan to make it here for the long haul: don't make sweeping assumptions about you "knowing" what others must be thinking, or that it must be something "faulty", just because they differ from your take on such basically subjective matters. :)

I have no particular fealty to Reeve's Superman look/uni for instance. But, sure, as far as his playing the role (in the first film, primarily), and allowing that his look was certainly on a par with the best of others to date (some of us need to see more of the newest edition) Chris Reeves has offered the best product so far by the consensus of almost all critics/fans. I have been watching superman since George Reeves played him. As of now, I think the pics of new guy in civvies looks way too "beefcake" and "Gold's GYM supplement ad guy" even compared to Tom Welling's (hope you're cringing) OR Routh's OR Reeve's Clark Kent. The supe costume still looks too plastic-y and "fake-muscly" like some of the bad Batman unis. And like I said, it's a hell of a hard uni to pull off. Routh did pretty good and his uni worked well. I thought the brief glances of Welling in the uni on their season finale looked pretty good tho it was hard to get that much from the shots. Even the hair-do's on the new guy look off to me compared to the others. But I am more than ready to change my mind as future photos appear and will definitely be wanting the movie to succeed--I will be pulling for the actor and the film. :)

Jumbo, I visit quite a few message boards and it's the samething all over again. They tore Routh to shreds when they saw his first images as Supes and now that people feel sorry for him, he was a good Superman. Say what you will, but a lot of people will compare every Superman to Reeve.

You say he's "too beefcake." If they hire a smaller guy, then he'd be "too skinny." And you all are basing this on a few pics? I just don't know why Superman movies get held to a higher standard where it just have to be perfect when others don't.

---------- Post added August-8th-2011 at 12:11 PM ----------

He looks too old for me. If this first movie is going to be an origins story I think he looks too old. And what is with the reverse of the curl. He has it when he is Clark Kent now and not Superman.

I believe he's actually younger than Routh when he played Supes in Returns. And I wouldn't be too concerned about a curl because we don't know what's taking place. Since he's not wearing his glasses in that scene, I can only guess Clark is about to become Superman.

DM, I painstakingly noted (twice) I was going off of only these few pics (as is anyone who likes them btw), and looked forward to open-mindedly seeing more, hoping to change my mind. Work on your reading skills, amigo. :)

Fwiw, you seem a bit oddly over-invested in what is really a pretty lightweight matter, but carry on. And I mean no insult, just sort of "checking-in." :)

I bet he lifts a bunch of heavy stuff in this one.

Superman is such a lame, predictable character.

I actually agree with part of this and I've always been a Superman > Batman kind of guy. LKB also hit a home run with his "ditch the origin story" take. I think the actor and costume look great (as did Routh). The dingy costume actually reminds me of George Reeves original one.

I think that if you truly want to make a Superman movie relevant you need to up the ante on the villain. Lex Luthor is old hat and the fact that he could still be around to cause trouble actually makes Superman look bad. In this day and age if Superman, even had a sniff of Kryptonite production, why wouldn't he just hire a decent saboteur to go in and **** it up..... story over.

Fighting General Zod could be an improvement because at least he theoretically matches up, though you just can't have them throwing down the whole movie. But what about Darkseid???? Not only is he a nasty bugger, but he controls a whole planet and army that could seek to invade Earth. Superman's main flaw in the excitement factor is that he SUBDUES enemies because they're usually human. But what if he has to fight an invading force of non- humans (maybe even non-organic) that he could just unload and KICK SOME ***! Might even have to have some help from Earth's militarys.

But if that isn't doable, just re boot it to where Bizarro is created in a terrorists lab or something and make it have dark undertones of military eugenics programs that the terrorist stole to create Bizarro. Anything but Lex Luthor.

Oh and for the record, despite Superman Returns' obvious shortcomings, the crappiest movie in the frachise is still Superman IV: The Quest For Peace.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

Archived