Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Official Superman: Man of Steel Thread

sly

Not sure about seeing this movie.  To be frank, I hate Zack Snyder.  He's a hack whose just competent enough to keep from getting laughed out of Hollywood but does not have the taste to ever make a good movie.  Of all comic books, Superman deserves a great movie and all of the movies and TV shows since Superman II have been a disappointment.

So is it a typical Snyder big stupid blockbuster or is it worth seeing?  My expectations have been pretty low ever since I heard he was directing it.  

I think it is worth seeing. Again, though it is not anything like what you'd expect from a Superman movie or story imo which is why I think so many Supe fans have been turned off by it. It definitely has Snyder's fingerprints all over it too. The last hour+ is nothing but full on chaos and destruction. I personally didn't mind Metropolis being laid waste to but I know a lot reviews weren't happy with it. It also made up for the slower buildup in the first half. I enjoyed the dynamic though and I thought the battle and destruction was fitting of a hero with Superman's ridiculous powers. 

I wouldn't call it stupid at all. It knows what it wants to be and hits it pretty dang well. It's definitely a big blockbuster type movie but it has quite a bit of heart too.

OK, that sounds like a fair review.  I'm going to go and see it tomorrow.  I'm not going to expect to enjoy it as much as the Nolan Batman movies or the Avengers movie.  I'm expecting a mild disappointment like X-Men first class.  But I'm hoping it will be like Thor or Captain America and surprise me in a really good way.

Can't wait to see this! I'll have to go early tomorrow since I'm DJing tonight and tomorrow. Thank to the previous posters for the ninja texting of  any  potential spoilers... you guys rule!

As someone who didn't absolutely hate (though was mildly disappointed with) Superman Returns, I'm pretty sure I'll enjoy this one.

I'm still holding out hope that in one of the sequels, they'll bring in Bizarro. I'm seeing  a govt/ rogue nation sanctioned attempt to replicate Superman gone wrong. Part of the plot would be ensuring the creators cannot do it again, and the other would be dealing with Bizarro himself who could end up being a tragic figure with more depth than originally thought (a la Frankesteins Monster).

Hope you enjoy it. I liked it a lot. I think from what they have laid out in this movie they could have any selection of Superman enemies in future movies and I don't think it would be feel unrealistic. They really did a great job in this one upping the ante so to speak for Superman. 

Can't wait to see this! I'll have to go early tomorrow since I'm DJing tonight and tomorrow. Thank to the previous posters for the ninja texting of  any  potential spoilers... you guys rule!

As someone who didn't absolutely hate (though was mildly disappointed with) Superman Returns, I'm pretty sure I'll enjoy this one.

I'm still holding out hope that in one of the sequels, they'll bring in Bizarro. I'm seeing  a govt/ rogue nation sanctioned attempt to replicate Superman gone wrong. Part of the plot would be ensuring the creators cannot do it again, and the other would be dealing with Bizarro himself who could end up being a tragic figure with more depth than originally thought (a la Frankesteins Monster).

I think Lex Luthor will be the next villain and they'll likely call it the "Last Son of Krypton" and play Lex like the comics Lex.  Billionaire that thinks he's saving the world from the alien invader "Superman".

Then they could call the third film the "Man of Tomorrow" and have Brainiac the villain.  

I'd imagine Darkseid would be saved for a Justice League movie.

I thought they might tease a villian in this but I didnt pick up on any. I think that might be the way they go as well but people might be tired of Lex by this point. I know I am. It will be interesting to see how the next one shapes up. 

I'm finding humor in the reactions and how most of the general audience isn't agreeing with critics AT ALL.    I'm even seeing Marvel fanboys rate it higher than Iron Man and Avengers.      Heck, even Batman fanboys are quick to say it's better than Dark Knight in some regards.    These film critics are full of agendas.

Not sure about seeing this movie.  To be frank, I hate Zack Snyder.  He's a hack whose just competent enough to keep from getting laughed out of Hollywood but does not have the taste to ever make a good movie.  Of all comic books, Superman deserves a great movie and all of the movies and TV shows since Superman II have been a disappointment.

So is it a typical Snyder big stupid blockbuster or is it worth seeing?  My expectations have been pretty low ever since I heard he was directing it.  

I think it is worth seeing. Again, though it is not anything like what you'd expect from a Superman movie or story imo which is why I think so many Supe fans have been turned off by it. It definitely has Snyder's fingerprints all over it too. The last hour+ is nothing but full on chaos and destruction. I personally didn't mind Metropolis being laid waste to but I know a lot reviews weren't happy with it. It also made up for the slower buildup in the first half. I enjoyed the dynamic though and I thought the battle and destruction was fitting of a hero with Superman's ridiculous powers. 

I wouldn't call it stupid at all. It knows what it wants to be and hits it pretty dang well. It's definitely a big blockbuster type movie but it has quite a bit of heart too.

OK, that sounds like a fair review.  I'm going to go and see it tomorrow.  I'm not going to expect to enjoy it as much as the Nolan Batman movies or the Avengers movie.  I'm expecting a mild disappointment like X-Men first class.  But I'm hoping it will be like Thor or Captain America and surprise me in a really good way.

I thought Thor and Captain America were both horrid and I really didn't understand the love XMen First Class got.

I'd rank the movies like this:

The Dark Knight

Avengers

Batman Begins

Iron Man

Superman The Movie

Spiderman 2

None of the others really did much for me.

Batman Begins/The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Rises

The Avengers

Man of Steel (I could probably switch this and the Avengers. Nearly a tie)

The Amazing Spiderman

Iron Man

Spiderman 2

Spiderman

20 pounds of crap

Spiderman 3/Iron Man 2

That's probably what I would go with. I never saw Thor or Captain America though. They just didn't move the needle for me. The ones I listed were the only ones I cared enough about to list. Obviously for me TDK trilogy is the holiest of holies particularly the first two when it comes to movies in general much less Superhero movies. They transcended superhero movies. Everything else on that list is fun and good strictly as a "comic book movie" IMO

Batman Begins/The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Rises

The Avengers

Man of Steel (I could probably switch this and the Avengers. Nearly a tie)

The Amazing Spiderman

Iron Man

Spiderman 2

Spiderman

20 pounds of crap

Spiderman 3/Iron Man 2

That's probably what I would go with. I never saw Thor or Captain America though. They just didn't move the needle for me. The ones I listed were the only ones I cared enough about to list. Obviously for me TDK trilogy is the holiest of holies particularly the first two when it comes to movies in general much less Superhero movies. They transcended superhero movies. Everything else on that list is fun and good strictly as a "comic book movie" IMO

Haven't seen Thor, Capt America, Man of Steel or Amazing Spiderman.  I like the list though, but would throw XMen 2 below Spiderman 2 and above Spiderman, and Batman Begins equal to Dark Knight Rises rather than Dark Knight

I don't really like any of the Spiderman movies.  Most of them didn't age well at all and I didn't enjoy the new one.  I'd put them down near the bottom with all of the X Men movies.  First Class was way better than the other X Men movies but it was still a bit lame IMO.  I don't know why, since it's one of the greatest marvel comics, but X  Men movies always end up being o cheesy.  Iron Man 2 was passable but nowhere near as good as the first.

The Nolan Batman movies are the best by far for me.  The Avengers is excellent too, followed by Iron Man, Captain America, and Thor.  I thought both Captain America and Thor were solid movies.  Tight and enjoyable.  The two Hulk movies were acceptable.  Both ended up being too long and a little boring and not finely crafted/written by any means, but decent.  Punisher was total crap.  Ghost Rider was total crap.  The fantastic fours were crap.

Superman Returns was solid but a little disappointing and boring.  Not a bad movie, just not very good, and definitely not a worthy Superman movie.  Superman hasn't been good since the first two Christopher Reeve movies.  Superman III with Richard Pryor was ****.  Worse than all of the awful Batman movies before the Nolan trilogy.  Well, actually I'm not sure anything is worse than the George Clooney Batman movie.  Though at least that movie is fun in an ironic way now.  Green Lantern was horrible.

Most Marvel and DC movies have been underwhelming to awful.  I'm kind of done with Spiderman and X Men as a big screen adaptation.  I'm just not convinced a good movie is going to be made about them, and those are beloved Comics for me and I'm tired of seeing them continuously butchered and milked as a cash cow.  I would be interested in an Ant Man movie, but it'd need a really smart writer and director to do it well.

Let's hope they never make an Aqua Man movie.

Top 6 among the Superhero movies for me

1. The Dark Knight

2. The Avengers

3. Man of Steel

4. Iron Man

5. Superman

6. Batman

While I liked the Spidey and XMan movies; they don't hold a special place as those 6 movies do.

I can't wait for a Justice League movie; probably will happen at some point given the success of the Avengers.

I also think they really need to do a Wonder Woman movie.  I know it can be done right.

Just saw in 3d.. Good not great but enjoyable. Lacked the heart of the Reeve films but Cavill is excellent as are Crowe and Zodd. The middle act really slows things down and The fight scenes were a bit hard to follow with the ex but other than a few minor nitpicks I liked the new origin story.

I think MOS 2 will be even better... Cavill will be awesome for a long time and can't wait for JL.

3.5 solid stars out of 5

3d adds nothing btw.

I don't really like any of the Spiderman movies.  Most of them didn't age well at all and I didn't enjoy the new one.  I'd put them down near the bottom with all of the X Men movies.  First Class was way better than the other X Men movies but it was still a bit lame IMO.  I don't know why, since it's one of the greatest marvel comics, but X  Men movies always end up being o cheesy.  Iron Man 2 was passable but nowhere near as good as the first.

Not to go off topic but what didn't you like about the reboot Spiderman? I thought it did a much better job telling the story and sticking to the lore and setup some good things for future movies, namely Gwen's death. 

In honor of the release!  Super Sonny!

That's great. Love it!

I think Lex Luthor will be the next villain and they'll likely call it the "Last Son of Krypton" and play Lex like the comics Lex.  Billionaire that thinks he's saving the world from the alien invader "Superman".

Then they could call the third film the "Man of Tomorrow" and have Brainiac the villain.  

I'd imagine Darkseid would be saved for a Justice League movie.

:ph34r:

35imxab.png

I would rate it 7/10. A definite must see, and I would say it's a good hopeful start to a string of movies culminating in the mother of all blockbusters (fingers crossed)

Pros: (no spoilers) I like the approach of this movie. I like their approach on what did Krypton in. I like the casting. I think the actors are right for their roles, and can successfully carry the Superman franchise. I got enough 'character' out of the characters to think this will be good moving forward. Like all Superman related media, they deal with Clark's childhood, and I would say that is both my favorite and the best done parts of the movie. The animated fight scenes are unbelievable, on a grander scale than even the Avengers.

Edit: actually one of my fav aspects of the movie is a spoiler but ninja is not happening on the new ES for me :(

Cons: (no spoilers) I can't believe Nolan wrote this script. I know he's not solely credited, but I don't see his influence anywhere. It really lacked for anything in the dialogue that really struck you as well done. And as you can tell from the trailers, and from my pro above, the fight scenes are large and in charge, but they seem to put too much focus on the destruction, and not enough on the fighting. Better yet, focus more on the characters. Not enough emphasis/time on that. Also, from the interactions and the characters dialogue, all shred of a secret identity for Superman should be completely removed.

I really enjoyed the movie. Here's where it ranks IMO:

1. Dark Knight

2. Avengers

3. Batman Begins

4. Batman

5. Iron Man

6. Dark Knight Rises

7. Man of Steel

8. Superman 2

9. Batman 2

10. X-Men First Class

It was a solid movie that makes it very possible to have sequels and have a Justice League movie. Not as good as Batman, but definitely worthy of consideration as one of the good/impressive superhero movies, of which there really aren't many. It is a close call between it and Dark Knight Rises on the ranking, and Batman is my favorite comic book hero. In fact, Man of Steel is a close call with Iron Man as well, IMO.

This is probably common knowledge but Superman 3 is just a horrible movie.

Really after 2 it is all bleh, even Returns. Man of Steel and 2 are the good ones, Man of Steel is easily the best Superman movie ever made, and Superman 1 was ok.

This is blasphemy.  I see no chance Man of Steel is better than the first two Supermans.

Spoiler:

really? That's how he dies?

Didn't this movie seem a lot like a mix of Superman 1, Superman 2 and Independence Day?

I loved that Clark wasn't a wimp in this movie like in the original ones.

Kinda like Superman 1, he didn't use all his powers here. For example no blowing things. I thought he'd cover his tracks when originally going to his spaceship. And why couldn't he hear her snooping on him?

I saw it yesterday. I am mixed, much like the shuffled narrative of the film itself. I want to like it but I feel "meh" with no attachment whatsoever. It didn't make me want to go out and buy a Superman comic. And it's dissappinting that Snyder couldn't recapture the epic heights of Watchmen...it was sorely needed.

Kevin Costner and Russel Crowe were outstanding in their roles, Costner moreso. Maybe because that was the only human character to grasp and connect with.

I loved the organic, insect/giger-esque look of Krypton. A fresh, unexpected take on their designs and themes.

At the moment, the negatives are enough to outweigh the positives for me, the negatives all from the film-making side. First, the shaking camera was excessive. It was a complete distraction...people in the theatre were shifting uncomfortably and turning their heads, making whispered comments to each other. It is "artificial action" used to disguise a boring or lifeless scene and this case rang true several times early on. I seriously debated whether to walk out or not. The "double-zooms" were embarrasing as well.

The "shuffled deck" method of storytelling completely removed me from the film and from building any bond, compassion, or sympathy toward Superman. The disjointed product is just unecessary. The only purpose of doing that was to make it diiferent from the first Superman movie. By trying to desperately avoid any comparison, they made it only more obvious.

First, as with many things, I think how long you've followed something that's spanned more than a couple generations can certainly shape related expectations and how you evaluate such. Whether you're 25 or 35 or 65 you've seen a lot of versions of Superman by now. Most of the time, I try to realistically tailor expectations to a movie if I have any at all. This one, I admit, I really wanted to be moved and impressed. And much of it's general quality was excellent, and appropriate to the technology today and Nolan's recent successes. But for me it was no DK2/3, or even as good as IM1 or Avengers, overall.

I still liked it and will see it again, soon. I still love Supes, maddening as the character can be to portray--and Supes was being revised regularly from the beginning, well before he hit a number of decades of relative stability. Then it all sort of went "out the window" as many comic-book character's realities did in all the "re-imagining" marketing decisions in that industry from the late 80's/90's onward.

IMO, this one was quite well done in ways mostly as an action movie, and Cavill is excellent as far as he goes in this outing. I was fully prepared for a darker, more somber version of Supes, but the near-complete absence of charm and humor that makes the for the best all-around Supes in every manifestation was something I missed--the little "Clark" smile at the end, when intros are made at The Daily Planet, gives a hint of it.

And the amount of time, attention, and effects directed to "the backstory of Krypton" did wear on me.

I seem to also be suffering from the culmination of over a decade of watching cities being destroyed with increasing realism and extended screen time devoted to the process, from Godzilla/Independence Day to Cloverfield to Transformers/Avengers, to the point where it's just getting worn-out....even though I consider the "well, what else can they do?" angle and accept it.

I also thought this was the worst version of Lois Lane I can remember (no big deal) and her presence in the movie a distraction. While the role was reduced in scope for this film, she's still given significant time and meaning to the plot, and it's just a wash at best. She's completely vapid in the role. In fact, most every supporting role seemed odd or off to me. The Kents didn't feel right, Fishburne as Perry was another "non-event", the whole Pete Olsen deal was like "why bother", the "-Els" were lackluster despite Crowe's prominence (Mrs. El was a bland as Mrs. Kent) and re-imagining Jor-El as a warrior-scientist was allowable enough in premise, but as actually executed added to a growing number of "misses" for me.

I felt the long drawn out fight scene was the best yet of what a fight between two Super Men (kryptonians) would look like, but it reminded me of the overdone fight scene in one of Clint Eastwood's "Clyde" movies where he bare knuckles for 15 minutes straight on screen. Fun enough, but got repetitive and lacked anything original. I also have wondered various things about any superman v superman (opposing kryptonians battling on earth) fight ever since I was a kid, and was left wondering about it here---if some of the earth's (we won't even talk about "the science" in this part of the mythos) characteristics elevate said kryptonian to the "Superman" level, then can we assume that whatever physical/mental differences existed on krypton between any two folks would similarly exist on earth, but at elevated capabilities for each?

So if Clark was a Kryptonian growing up on earth as a kid who was trying to hide his uniqueness, while Zod developed as a highly skilled military combat man and warrior-leader, and then the two meet in hand to hand combat on earth, I would expect a Zod guy to kick the crap (eventually) out of a "regular" guy, assuming both were "enhanced" equally by earth's characteristics as over 70 years of various media forms have seemingly presented earth's affect on kryptonians (even their pets). And that's before we even give Zod the augmentation of his Kryptonian battle armor and that he's been Big & Badass his whole career. :P

Don't mean to over-geek/nerd on this deal, but it's always bothered me when misused. Supes "krypton clothes" are indestructible just because they're from krytpon. An armored battle suit (think Batman) should be quite an advantage over a head-exposed civilian in unarmed combat.  In this case, Clark could have been at most like a guy who may have  studied martial arts and self-trained without being able to really "practice" his skills on a live (or meaningful) adversary safely. But Zod's suit alone, even without his having all the actual combat experience and his own presumably formidable native physical abilities and training left me feeling like Supes beating him mainly with "heart" was kind of "meh." Actually, they put something new (to me) in this plot that I sort of "decided" in my own head could explain while Kal-El might be special even among Kryptonians, and then so too might his enhanced abilities be special even for a krytonian---the deal about the cells containing "all the DNA" of his race. But enough of that---geek off!   :P

I'm happy it's doing as well as it is, as I have hopes for a #2. It's my hope that this will parallel the DK trilogy, in that the first movie, while quite good, really set up a second and better effort, that fleshed things out (trying to balance that much of the credit giving to DK2 is, IMO, due to Ledger's once-in-a-generation portrayal of an all-time top villainous comic book icon). Anyway, I could see a potentially awesome Supes 2 built off of this start.

Right now, I'd say it was as well or better produced as a big budget action movie than all previous Superhero films except the DK Rises and The Avengers. As a movie in general, while I appreciated what they did, for me it wasn't as entertaining as Iron Man 1, for instance. It is specifically weak in the matter of the supporting characters and general dialog, where for me it wasn't as enjoyable as most all the other "big ones" we talk about. Even Iron Man 2 had better supporting roles and dialog---hell, in dialog and character development, the more I reflected on the movie, the less impressive it seemed among its peers. Daredevil's supporting characters and dialog was often better.

Yet despite all my picking, I'd say this Supes was a polished enough product and a thumbs up to Cavill.

Very detailed post Jumbo. Glad you shared all that. I agree with lot of what you said. One thing regarding the Zod/Superman battle and how Zod would have the advantage all else being equal, I think it did touch on that in the movie.

It took Zod some time to adjust to his powers and he hadn't been as exposed to the sun as long so I think he was weaker to start. I thought it was said at some point. I know it showed him having trouble focusing out the voices and X-ray vision but Superman has also had 20+ years to get used to his ability.

I think he knew he was going to lose the Zod fight as Zod and his warrior creation/life were picking up on things very quickly like flying which Superman didn't figure out he could do it until earlier in the movie. Had the fight continued I think Zod would have wiped the floor with Superman giving his advanced training and how fast he learned and harnessed his newfound ability.

Also Superman is the only child naturally born on Krypton in thousands of years right? So maybe he has an advantage in some aspects being natural and pure like that as opposed to Zod who was bred only to lead as a warrior.

Archived