Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

JLC Twitter: Danny Smith possibly to the Broncos??

GenMgr

For a position coach who's supposed to be a genius I was unimpressed throughout the Gibbs2 era with the blocking, unimpressed throughout the Zorn era, and last year although better left me unimpressed. Especially when almost every weekend the Bears or Vikes take a KR/PR to the house.

For a position coach who's supposed to be a genius I was unimpressed throughout the Gibbs2 era with the blocking, unimpressed throughout the Zorn era, and last year although better left me unimpressed. Especially when almost every weekend the Bears or Vikes take a KR/PR to the house.

So did we. Doughty or Riley would just bring him back from said house.

Gotta love the "Grass is always Greener" mentality that has permeated this fan base. I understand that Danny Smith hasn't been perfect, but for people to go on talking about him like he's terrible is ridiculous. I mean seriously, the guy has been in a situation of trying to field a unit with less than scrubs, and has still put together one of the better coverage units in the league. Take a second to at least realize that ST units are made up of hardworking depth players, and tell me, what's one thing the Redskins have never had? That's right depth. Due to years of horrible mismanagement and a FO that valued flashy high-priced guys over good reasonably-priced players, our depth has been lacking for most of the decade. Danny should be commended for putting together a top unit with less that desirable depth.

I concur with Sweet Sassy Molassy's cogent analysis- it is hard to make chicken salad out of chicken s_i _. (as the saying goes) He has to take scrubs and turn them into a coverage unit.

That's a bunch of horse hockey.

Every ST coach has to take scrubs and make them into a coverage unit. Come up with another excuse.

Can anyone explain to me why he's a bad coach? What about him makes him a bad coach? People haven't even been putting up stats at this point (which would probably be worthless any way), just saying "he sucks." I'd venture to guess that 99% of people in this forum don't know what exactly he's doing wrong, or even what exactly he does or what to look at when we're playing special teams.

And to preempt the inevitable "Why are you such a Danny Smith apologist?" I'm not. I know I can't form an even semi-educated opinion on him, so I don't try.

I was under the impression that DS was one of the better ST coaches in the league :whoknows:

I know that I can always look forward to some spark-inducing, hard hits from our coverage teams..

I won't cry over his departure. However, considering Danny Smith's reputation across the league and the amount of respect that his players & peers have shown for him, I'd expect a slight drop-off in Teams production.. To what extent, we shall see..

Regardless, HAIL!

Gotta love the "Grass is always Greener" mentality that has permeated this fan base. I understand that Danny Smith hasn't been perfect, but for people to go on talking about him like he's terrible is ridiculous. I mean seriously, the guy has been in a situation of trying to field a unit with less than scrubs, and has still put together one of the better coverage units in the league. Take a second to at least realize that ST units are made up of hardworking depth players, and tell me, what's one thing the Redskins have never had? That's right depth. Due to years of horrible mismanagement and a FO that valued flashy high-priced guys over good reasonably-priced players, our depth has been lacking for most of the decade. Danny should be commended for putting together a top unit with less that desirable depth.

I hear ya man. The coverage teams are great but we've had some of the worst kicking, holding, etc FOR YEARS. He's been here for all of those years. Punting hasn't been great either has it?

Why is everyone hating on Danny Smith? It clearly shows a lack of knowledge. The coverage units have always been top notch. What do you really want him to go out and execute?

You do know that's what the punt returner, kick returner, kicker and punter are doing when they screw up right. Not executing. Missing a field goal has nothing to do with coaching.

I know.,.. let's fire the offensive coordinator for over thown balls or receivers falling down.

:doh:

I don't know how I feel about this.

I think that I would have almost resigned in protest in his position if he were forced to use ARE on punt returns. He couldn't do anything about Leigh Torrence getting burned as the gunner on every punt. Blocking hasn't been terrific. He picked the wrong punter after they drafted him (if you believe he had a say in that move).

But coverage has been pretty good overall. He's had some good trick plays. and he hasn't had much to work with.

And this: He was hired by Gibbs, who kept him around, and retained by Shannahan, and desired by Fox. Those are three pretty good coaches. (I toss out 08 and 09 because Zorn had no say in his coaching staff, and Vinny couldn't spot talent if it was wearing a sign.) The good coaches have got to see something in him.

I dunno.

2. I also don't think he can do much to "develop" a kicker who has no talent or is a headcase.

Our kicking (FG/P) was not good but I do not feel that was Coach Danny's doing, we just did not have a good punter nor kicker, IMHO.
It's not our fault that the kickers and punters have been **** once they got here and when they leave, they have been god-like

Ok, I give up. I can't figure out the riddle. Somebody please tell me whose job is it to develop punters and kickers if not the Special Teams coach. Is it the HC's job, the DC's, do we need to hire a special coach for just the punter and the kicker each? Do we need to bring in a coach that specialized in clutch kicks, on the specialized in overcoming mental blocks, one that specializes in kicking with a breeze, one that specializes in dome kicking, etc?

Since 2004 our kickers have been:

2004: John Hall, Ola Kimrin, Jeff Chandler

2005: John Hall, Nick Novak

2006: John Hall, Nick Novak, Shaun Suisham

2007: Shaun Suisham

2008: Shaun Suisham

2009: Shaun Suisham, Graham Gano

2010: Graham Gano

John Hall couldn't stay healthy, and that can be blamed on the trainers and physical therapists. But Suisham was maddeningly perfect except when we actually needed him to be, and Gano went from a strong leg but unreliable outside of 45 yards to a strong leg that couldn't hit a kick from inside the 10. Which of course makes 2 straight seasons that we've had a kicker missing kicks from XP range. If that's honestly not Danny Smith's fault, then who the hell can we tar and feather at midfield to make sure he never comes near the team again? And unless Suisham pulls a...well, a Suisham...in the next couple of weeks in the playoffs, how did he got from an unclutch headcase here to the model of consistency in Pittsburgh?

As for our punters since 2004:

2004: Tom Tupa

2005: Andy Groom, Derrick Frost

2006: Derrick Frost

2007: Derrick Frost

2008: Durant Brooks, Ryan Plackemeier

2009: Hunter Smith, Ryan Plackemeier

2010: Josh Bidwell, Hunter Smith, Sam Paulescu

Other than Brooks, who was a rookie, none of these guys were all that bad, but there's still a lack of consistency. And when your most consistent punter is Derrick Brooks...(shudder).

Maybe you guys are right and Danny Smith is a great coash who has just been shafted by the FO. Maybe it's the scouting office's fault. But if Danny Smith is such a great coach and such a great football mind, couldn't he have found consistency at at least 1 ST position outside of the Red Snapper?

Can anyone explain to me why he's a bad coach? What about him makes him a bad coach? People haven't even been putting up stats at this point (which would probably be worthless any way), just saying "he sucks." I'd venture to guess that 99% of people in this forum don't know what exactly he's doing wrong, or even what exactly he does or what to look at when we're playing special teams.

And to preempt the inevitable "Why are you such a Danny Smith apologist?" I'm not. I know I can't form an even semi-educated opinion on him, so I don't try.

My perspective. How many games have we lost because of ST ****-ups??

Can anyone explain to me why he's a bad coach?
I hear ya man. The coverage teams are great but we've had some of the worst kicking, holding, etc FOR YEARS. He's been here for all of those years. Punting hasn't been great either has it?

This is why I said what I did. Thinking about how these years could have been different if we were able to find a reliable field goal kicker or not seem to give up a big return at the end of a game or how we absolutely never ever block a kick or punt or spring a kickoff return when we so desperately need it (this season excluded) just makes me crazy. This reeks of old school suckatude of "if the guys got a swell personality he must be good for the team". Personality is great, and he does have some redeeming qualities. The one thing you have to give Smith is that he does understand how to field a coverage unit. He's been in the upper half of the league in coverage for the whole time he has been here. Give the man his credit where it is deserved and with developing players like Ethan Albright and Rock Cartwright but look at the whole picture when you judge him. He is the man in charge of more then just stopping a return.

If we hope to become a winning team then Special Teams has to improve and it starts at the top.

This is why I said what I did. Thinking about how these years could have been different if we were able to find a reliable field goal kicker or not seem to give up a big return at the end of a game or how we absolutely never ever block a kick or punt or spring a kickoff return when we so desperately need it (this season excluded) just makes me crazy. This reeks of old school suckatude of "if the guys got a swell personality he must be good for the team". Personality is great, and he does have some redeeming qualities. The one thing you have to give Smith is that he does understand how to field a coverage unit. He's been in the upper half of the league in coverage for the whole time he has been here. Give the man his credit where it is deserved but look at the whole picture. He is the man in charge of more then just stopping a return. If we hope to become a winning team then Special Teams has to improve.

totally agree, and it's mostly the issues of the kicking game that have fueled my desire to see him gone.

~Bang

Ok, I give up. I can't figure out the riddle. Somebody please tell me whose job is it to develop punters and kickers if not the Special Teams coach. Is it the HC's job, the DC's, do we need to hire a special coach for just the punter and the kicker each? Do we need to bring in a coach that specialized in clutch kicks, on the specialized in overcoming mental blocks, one that specializes in kicking with a breeze, one that specializes in dome kicking, etc?

THe way I see it, Punting and Kicking are important, but landing a quality guy at those spots is a lot about luck as much as its about consistency. I think thats why Shanny is giving Gano a serious shot before just dumping him. But Smith's other job is our coverage teams which are normally amongst the league's best. Why did we drop this year? I don't know. We started off the year in good position, and up until the Bears game were doing quite well. I don't know how we finished up, but if anything, it could possibly be the lack of consistency we had there towards the end of the season. I mean, we were cutting guys, guys were taken off special teams because they were suddenly starting, and part of me wonders if the team had quit or just stopped putting forth a good effort during that 4 or 5 game losing streak. And if thats the case, I blame Shanny as much as I blame Smith.

---------- Post added January-14th-2011 at 05:24 PM ----------

What about the years before that. We've had a LOT of horrible kickers and punters since Chip left. There was a stretch with Murray and a stretch with Hall, but other than that we had some bad kickers and punters. They are not a dime a dozen. Coverage units, in my opinion, are what makes a special teams coach. And as far as that, we've had our best coverage units under Danny Smith. Thats why I like him.

Ok, let's say Smith does leave...

Who would be available to replace him? Or swindle from their current teams?

The last guy the Skins were reportedly interested in was Bobby April, who went to Philly.

I just don't see Smith leaving. The PS players to ST's is such an integral part of Shanny's rookie "breeding ground" for upcoming talent. Now that they have a year together with success in developing young guys, it's seems stupid to let him go.

Archived