Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

JLC Twitter: Danny Smith possibly to the Broncos??

GenMgr

@JasonLaCanfora

Two strong possibilities to join John Fox's staff - Jim Mora as defensive coordinator and Danny Smith (Redskins) as special teams coach...
Mora has head coaching experience and Fox has recently been in contact with him. Fox wanted to hire Smith last year and Skins blocked it...

Interesting that the second quote has something missing:

Fox asked the Redskins for permission to interview Smith last year, when Fox was seeking a new special teams coordinator in Carolina at the time. The Redskins blocked the request, according to sources, but Smith declined to sign an extension with Washington and will be in essence a coaching free agent.

Interesting....

Fox can have him for a 4th.

I'm a Danny Smith fan.

1. I don't think there's anything wrong with the preparation or schemes of our special teams units.

2. I also don't think he can do much to "develop" a kicker who has no talent or is a headcase.

3. The swinging gate would have worked, but only the first time. NOT after the Giants' timeout.

4. After all, he did use Hunter Smith's rocket arm to score a touchdown once.

5. As previously noted, his sideline coup against Jim Zorn to call off what would have been a stupid timeout was epic.

Cool story: I saw Danny Smith yesterday at Dulles Town Center. He came out of Jos. A Bank and I looked at it him then said to myself "I know this guy don't I?" He noticed my face when I said that to myself and as I looked back up he waved and said hi, lol. So I waved back and said "hi Danny" while chuckling like a total idiot little girl.

My wife always sees Redskins and she comes home and throws it in my face, so it was neat to finally catch one myself in person! :ols:

I think Danny’s a hard worker who knows a lot about the game, and he probably saved Zorn from looking even worse than he did on occasion. But I gotta say that the blocks in the back and other boneheaded penalties that seemed to negate about half of Brandon Banks’ quality returns in 2010 got awfully tiresome. No team could shut Banks down the way we could. I don’t know whether those issues were Danny’s fault, but either way I got good and tired of that happening.

If Smith is so bad then why have teams like the Steelers, Lions, Seahawks, GreenBay, Carolina and now Denver been interested in him?

Add Philly to that list. I remember reading somewhere that Reid was just chomping at the bit for Shanahan to release Danny so he could sweep him up, but then when it came out that Shanny wasn't going to he had to hire someone else.

I'm in the minority as I liked Coach Danny. I hope he stays. I had the pleasure of meeting him and he's truly a good guy. Our ST were always up there in KO and Punt return defense and that is certainly what he preaches. Our kicking (FG/P) was not good but I do not feel that was Coach Danny's doing, we just did not have a good punter nor kicker, IMHO.

Archived