Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFP: Potential cracks in relationship between Snyder and Shanahan / Allen

Andre The Giant

I doubt there are something that could accurately be called "cracks" but the truth is they screwed up. The McNabb trade is a disaster. The switch to the 3-4 FAILED and let's not forget something friends that money haynesworth is due is Redskin (read snyder) money. If you're going to destroy the relationship with the million dollar man whatever you try HAD BETTER WORK. Otherwise you cost the owner a great deal of money and delivered nothing but failure in return. Speaking of which the defense failed entirely.

So somewhere in all of that there is cause for Snyder to hold a little meeting and say "this or anything like this can never happen again, am I making myself clear?"

I doubt there are something that could accurately be called "cracks" but the truth is they screwed up. The McNabb trade is a disaster. The switch to the 3-4 FAILED and let's not forget something friends that money haynesworth is due is Redskin (read snyder) money. If you're going to destroy the relationship with the million dollar man whatever you try HAD BETTER WORK. Otherwise you cost the owner a great deal of money and delivered nothing but failure in return. Speaking of which the defense failed entirely.

So somewhere in all of that there is cause for Snyder to hold a little meeting and say "this or anything like this can never happen again, am I making myself clear?"

I disagree with this fundamentally because of who that little man saying that would be knowing his history. If it were another owner sure your absolutely correct 100 times over here with what your saying but in my own mind Snyder doesn't get the luxury of having this meeting with these men this year like that. Snyder and his meddling ways is why this teams had so many coaches since he joined and found no success in the time he's been in charge. The fans know this and aren't ready to see him step up and put an ultimatum on the people he hired after one season. In fact Snyders screwed up so horribly that the only way I see possible where he can not be the evil villain here is to wait until the fans revolt on the coaches and GM themselves and then give into the voice of the people. If he did that like he did it with firing Zorn then he's a good guy but if he does that when the fans don't want it years of hatred flood back on us all.

Snyder owns the team but the Redskins live in the hearts of all of us. The more this team becomes Snyders playground to do whatever whenever he wants to the more people are going to turn on him. This teams been about Snyder for Snyder for years now and we know that doesn't work and the fans are exhausted because of this. There is no denying he has the right to do what your saying but after only a single year to threaten Shanahan is a huge mistake...He is not a guy you do that with. If the fans hear about it the hatred coming his way will be in new levels not yet seen before. Now is not the time for this ultimatum. The fans are OK with the season and are pleased with Snyder being no where near anything fudging it up like he always does. If you want to set this off in the wrong direction have some reports come out now saying Snyder threatened Bruce Allen or Shanny and I bet that would light the fire that burns this to the ground.

It has to be frustrating for our owner to see how the Atlanta Falcons turned their fortunes around after Vick left. Likewise, its frustrating for fans to see the Ravens in the playoffs and they are down the road from them. I am sure the owner is not happy about giving up two draft choices for McNabb and then Shanny benching McNabb. Its hard to find good quarterbacks and good coaches. All the playoff teams have good coaches and good quarterbacks and the .500 teams stay home in search of their future quarterbacks. The Redskins have not had a good General Manager since Bobby Bethard and think how long that has been now since he was in D.C.

I could care less about Synder's posture on trading away draft choices as he mastered the practise of pissing away draft choices during his tenure as owner. I hope this report (and Glazer's) is unfounded but I have a hard time believing the leopard has changed his spots. Accountability has always applied except when it comes to the man behind the curtain. I expect to see more reports like this (that I'm sure will be shot down as unfounded) next season as well. Sadly, I'm note seeing the path that will lead to this team competing for the division with all the holes on the roster.

---------- Post added January-9th-2011 at 10:52 PM ----------

The Haynesworth money was wasted the moment Synder shoved it into his pocket. That one is on him and always will be. I'll give you the McNabb trade being a disaster but I also give props to Shanny for pulling the plug and moving on. I also agree that such a mistake must not happen again.

Oh really? A couple of December excerpts from WaPo articles.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/daniel-m-snyder/dan-snyder-says-he-supports-mi.html

Snyder repeatedly said Shanahan "speaks for all of us."

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/dcsportsbog/2010/12/shanahan_on_his_relationship_w.html

"He's (Snyder) always been great with me, been very supportive, so if there were any comments he made, that was off the cuff to somebody else," Shanahan said. "I don't know about it. But he's always told me to do things the way that you think they should be done, and he's got the confidence in me to do it the right way, and he wants to build a football team the right way and an organization the right way. He knows there are gonna be some tough decisions, and to make the best decisions I could possibly make."

shanahan speaks of player accountability, and he is, in turn, accountable to his employer... the fact is, we were an embarrassment on many levels... would you expect any employer to be happy with a poor performance, loss of millions of dollars in payroll, and several media gaffes?... regardless of the profession, any boss is going to be upset...

now, what makes good employers good is their ability to have a long-term vision and an understanding that to build something great, there will be failures as well as successes... this is where snyder has shown time and time again that he is a poor owner...

now, is shanahan the long-term answer at HC? i say no, but i change this off-season will only hurt the franchise...

I have a hard time even responding to people with your limited viewpoint. To say our defense failed entirely is ignorant. We had the 11th ranked scoring defense and if it wasn't for that MNF against the eagles we would ranked higher, and the whole concept of the defense was to be a bend but don't break. When teams got in the redzone they didn't score touchdowns. It was created to increase turnovers and it worked. We had more turnovers.

Shanahans trying to change the culture from players that are here only because Snyder made them an offer they couldn't refuse and they don't care if we win or lose, to players that want to play here and want to win. If we would have had that mentality 2 years ago we wouldn't have had Haynesworth to deal with.

I have a hard time even responding to people with your limited viewpoint. To say our defense failed entirely is ignorant. We had the 11th ranked scoring defense and if it wasn't for that MNF against the eagles we would ranked higher, and the whole concept of the defense was to be a bend but don't break. When teams got in the redzone they didn't score touchdowns. It was created to increase turnovers and it worked. We had more turnovers.

Shanahans trying to change the culture from players that are here only because Snyder made them an offer they couldn't refuse and they don't care if we win or lose, to players that want to play here and want to win. If we would have had that mentality 2 years ago we wouldn't have had Haynesworth to deal with.

I hear that players who don't care cuz they get paid argument alot but who on the roster fit that bill besides haynesworth?

I'm not trying to be a dick, it's a legit question

. If he regresses then he's got a revolt on his hands .

Same will be said for Shanahan.. He's made some blunders in year one.. He'd better show that he still knows what he's doing this offseason and next season, or I dont think Snyder will be alone in wanting him gone..

I disagree with this fundamentally because of who that little man saying that would be knowing his history. If it were another owner sure your absolutely correct 100 times over here with what your saying but in my own mind Snyder doesn't get the luxury of having this meeting with these men this year like that. Snyder and his meddling ways is why this teams had so many coaches since he joined and found no success in the time he's been in charge. The fans know this and aren't ready to see him step up and put an ultimatum on the people he hired after one season. In fact Snyders screwed up so horribly that the only way I see possible where he can not be the evil villain here is to wait until the fans revolt on the coaches and GM themselves and then give into the voice of the people. If he did that like he did it with firing Zorn then he's a good guy but if he does that when the fans don't want it years of hatred flood back on us all.

I'm having a hard time with your logic.

1 - You acknowledge that Snyder is a meddling owner but you think he wouldn't do this. Your reason is the fans...

2 - Snyder has mastered the art of taking money from schmucks via the "big name coach hire". Every time the fans have looked like they are going to revolt he hires a big name and every body on this forum is sold on a non-existent plan from day one.

Snyder owns the team but the Redskins live in the hearts of all of us. The more this team becomes Snyders playground to do whatever whenever he wants to the more people are going to turn on him. This teams been about Snyder for Snyder for years now and we know that doesn't work and the fans are exhausted because of this. There is no denying he has the right to do what your saying but after only a single year to threaten Shanahan is a huge mistake...He is not a guy you do that with. If the fans hear about it the hatred coming his way will be in new levels not yet seen before. Now is not the time for this ultimatum. The fans are OK with the season and are pleased with Snyder being no where near anything fudging it up like he always does. If you want to set this off in the wrong direction have some reports come out now saying Snyder threatened Bruce Allen or Shanny and I bet that would light the fire that burns this to the ground.

This is just plain fantasy. The fans of the skins are easily manipulated and have been for more than a decade at this point. The only time the fans freaked out is when Zorn failed, the one time Snyder didn't hire a big name coach. As long as Snyder can hire someone the fans believe can fix this disaster they'll continue to attend games and buy redskins gear.

I hear that players who don't care cuz they get paid argument alot but who on the roster fit that bill besides haynesworth?

I'm not trying to be a dick, it's a legit question

I beleive that was the reason wee had the offseason we had. None of the players that visited were one stop players. They all had the freedom to look at other teams(porter and clifton). I know there were guys like Parker and LJ, but they lacked the desire due to wear and tear, but even with all the hype Peppers got that the media said we were going after him and were going to offer him a huge check. We stayed away.

Look at years past compared to the one year we've had with Shanahan. Other than McNabb, which I thought was a good trade until I saw him play this season, we didn't really sign any high priced FA. I just question McNabbs heart and coachability.

I have a hard time even responding to people with your limited viewpoint.

Then don't. I don't need to be talked down to by someone that thinks everything is great when the evidence clearly shows different.

To say our defense failed entirely is ignorant. We had the 11th ranked scoring defense and if it wasn't for that MNF against the eagles we would ranked higher, and the whole concept of the defense was to be a bend but don't break. When teams got in the redzone they didn't score touchdowns. It was created to increase turnovers and it worked. We had more turnovers.

You know when you decide to talk down to me be sure to look at the screen closely. What I think you did is fail to click the little pts/g button twice, so you sorted it backwards showing the skins as the 11th ranked scoring defense. They gave up 23.6 point per game which is tied with the eagles for 21st, not 11th. They are 11th if you sort them from most to least... more points is bad for a defense FYI.

They were tied for 15th in turnovers with 27 BTW.

I've heard that from every coach, I'll believe it when I see it.

Agreed. I don't want to be apocalyptic. But if Snyder does this I will stop following this team until he either dies or sells it.

Yeah, same here. I pretty much boycotted the team when he fired Schottenheimer, then didn't really watch much but did shake my head a lot when Spurrier was running his circus. Only Gibbs coming back caused me to get back into it again and then hiring the incompetent Zorn mainly because he'd be easier to get along with than G. Williams was just as huge a mistake as firing Schottenheimer. Even though I didn't like the Shanahan hiring if the owner can't even stick by his own decision to hire a 2 time SB winning coach and turn over the FO to him and Allen, then there is really no hope of this team ever winning anything with Snyder in charge. I'll officially just watch the NFL casually from that point on, kinda like a bandwagon Pukes fan. :D

I disagree with this fundamentally because of who that little man saying that would be knowing his history. If it were another owner sure your absolutely correct 100 times over here with what your saying but in my own mind Snyder doesn't get the luxury of having this meeting with these men this year like that.

This is asinine thinking.

Having the "luxury" of holding a meeting like that is exactly what any good owner should possess...and it's not a luxury, it's a responsibility and a right. It doesn't mean that meeting must take place, but as fans we shouldn't look at it as a luxury or privilege for our owner to have...

A neutered owner is no better than a meddling one.

---------- Post added January-9th-2011 at 04:26 PM ----------

And, yes, this is an incredibly stupid rumor masquerading as source information. It's most likely just a regurgitation of some speculative article written 4 weeks ago or something...

Archived