Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFP: Potential cracks in relationship between Snyder and Shanahan / Allen

Andre The Giant

There was talk on the radio yesterday from Mike Florio about Shanny possibly being let go THIS offseason. I know, Mike Florio.... yadda yadda.

I'm going to say this though, and I think I actually mean it this time. If Snyder fires Shanahan after this season .... I am done. I will find another team to try and root for, or I'll just be a football fan in general with no team affiliation - a nomad. I swear to Christ if he fires Shanny after one season I will disaffiliate myself with the Washington Redskins for as long as Daniel Snyder is the owner.

You aren't alone. Lets hope that idiot does what's best and stays far far away from this team. If he treats Shanny and Bruce this poorly no respectable coach no matter the amount of money will want to coach here ever. Think that clustermess with the hiring of Zorn was bad...I bet the next search is 10 times worse.

You aren't alone. Lets hope that idiot does what's best and stays far far away from this team. If he treats Shanny and Bruce this poorly no respectable coach no matter the amount of money will want to coach here ever. Think that clustermess with the hiring of Zorn was bad...I bet the next search is 10 times worse.

Mike Florio was offering his opinion, that's the problem... it wasn't what Dan was thinking of doing. The team is obviously more structured than when Zorn or Spurrier were here.

Count me in too. I'm pretty sure the story is BS. But still, we all remember what happened to Marty! Last year's revolt would look like a skirmish compared to the blood bath that would ensue if he pulls the plug on Shannahan and Allen!

Yeah it smells like BS to me too. But Snyder has just about lost the benefit of the doubt.

Last year's fan revolt put the mechanisms in place for a greater revolt. It was like the Japanese-Russo Conflict to WWI or something. French Indochine conflict to Vietnam?

Hiring Allen and Shanahan was supposed to be a clean break from the old ways. Firing them after two seasons would merely prove that despite everything that's happened, nothing's changed. It would kill NFL football for me. I'd just have to follow the Wizards and Nats and go into sports hybernation during the fall. Perhaps there is a nice CFL team out there for me to follow?

Mike Florio was offering his opinion, that's the problem... it wasn't what Dan was thinking of doing. The team is obviously more structured than when Zorn or Spurrier were here.

Florrio would likely make his opinion that the world is in fact flat if people would talk about that. Florrio is just like other hacks out there playing "what if" games when it comes to this team. He knows that the Redskins faithful hang on every word said about us, that we pay attention in the offseasom better then most other fans, and are highly intellegent fans. So he drums up some silly nonsense like this which is based on nothing but his wanting attention from us and throws in the little "It's just my opinion" so that he can keep a shread of journalistic integrity with the bullspit. It's my opinion that the Seahangs are going to win the superbowl this year 72-0 and beat the Patriots. The "just my opinion" goes for the wildly unexpected to the rumor mill just the same no matter any facts or anything. It's a catch all for lying, manipulation, attention whoring, and on and on. It's my opinion is a game. You have to take the person saying it in context and Florrio has a reputation for saying anything that can or will get a rise out of you.

Please let this be true, then Shanny can GTFO and take the Kyle/Sexy Rexy show with him. I don't think any coach could have screwed up Big Al and DMac as much as Shanny did, even Zorn would not have dug himself that big of a hole to get out of like Shanny and his off season conditioning tests and poor cardio excuses.

What are they putting in that water up in Hamilton, Ontario? Crazy Contrarian Pills?

---------- Post added January-10th-2011 at 12:26 PM ----------

Florrio would likely make his opinion that the world is in fact flat if people would talk about that. Florrio is just like other hacks out there playing "what if" games when it comes to this team. He knows that the Redskins faithful hang on every word said about us, that we pay attention in the offseasom better then most other fans, and are highly intellegent fans. So he drums up some silly nonsense like this which is based on nothing but his wanting attention from us and throws in the little "It's just my opinion" so that he can keep a shread of journalistic integrity with the bullspit. It's my opinion that the Seahangs are going to win the superbowl this year 72-0 and beat the Patriots. The "just my opinion" goes for the wildly unexpected to the rumor mill just the same no matter any facts or anything. It's a catch all for lying, manipulation, attention whoring, and on and on. It's my opinion is a game. You have to take the person saying it in context and Florrio has a reputation for saying anything that can or will get a rise out of you.

"It's my opinion" that Mike Florio is in need of a new line of work.

Yea, Shanny isn't getting fired anytime soon

If he is fired after next season Snyder will be on the hook for 21 million to Shanny

Along with the money he already wasted on AH.

The money tree at Redskins park is running out of money. This isn't the franchise from the early to middle part of the decade that was minting money

Club seat contracts have run out, renewals get lower and lower every year and the economy really hit hard with sponsorships and advertising.

Lets not forget the Six Flags epic fail and Johnny Rockets flopping and 980 getting its ass handed to it ratings wise by 106.7 the fan.

Dan can't afford to fire Shanny until after 4 years. He can't be on the hook for 21 million dollars

Th

This post is spot on. Add in the dollars Snyder is paying Zorn for this season as well and you have a balance sheet for Snyder that can't be as rosy as it was say 5 years ago. I don't expect Snyder to eat as much contract as it would take to can several years of Shanny's contract. Thus, I just don't see it happening. That said, I really hope that Snyder stays in the background and the current front office begins to build something tangible and long term. They can start by respecting the draft and move to accumulate picks they way other successful organizations do. The McNabb fiasco doesn't really add up to me which makes me wonder if there was another move (as speculated) at the time of that trade that did not work out. I also wonder whether the fan base (and owner) will have the patience if we acquire a young franchise QB as part of a rebuilding process. TK has mentioned this thing getting blown up, a rebuild even if those words are spoken, and I hope we see major changes to approach to constructing the roster.

TK, perhaps you could opine whether there is any buzz about changes to the scouting department as contemplated last offseason?

---------- Post added January-10th-2011 at 05:37 PM ----------

"It's my opinion" that Mike Florio is in need of a new line of work.

Unfortunately, it seems to me that Florio has carved out a nice role for himself by throwing [insert explicative] against the wall. Afterall, it landed him a gig on NBC Sunday nights.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/NFP-Sunday-Blitz-2727.html

There appear to be some cracks in the relationship between Redskins owner Dan Snyder and head coach Mike Shanahan and general manager Bruce Allen, according to those familiar with the goings on at Redskins Park. And that might mean Shanahan and Allen better win in 2011 if they want to be around in 2012.

I believe this is true. We wasted two draft picks on McNabb, just to bench him for Grossman. Now McNabb wants to leave. Shanny said he could stay if he is willing to be a back-up. If anyone knows McNabb he is not going to be a back-up QB. He could easily go to another team and start. From the way things are looking, we may end up having Grossman as starter for next season. I don't see a draft pick QB taking us to the play offs under the current O-Line that we have. If Shanny has a loosing season, he is done. The way Snyder is going to see it is that you wasted my draft picks, just to bench McNabb. Now he is gone and I have another loosing season.

I could this being the last season for Shannahan, Kyle Shannahan and possibly Bruce Allen.

Correct me if I am wrong, but everyone who is bringing up $ for the reason Shanahan won't be fired is probably wrong.

If we have Shanahan for 7 million and fire him, and then let's say another team hires him for 5 million. Isn't Danny only on the hook for the difference? 2 Million? Or whatever the case may be.

I think it would be silly to think another team wouldn't go after Shanahan.

I don't want him fired. Part of me says there is a purge process with players, adjusting to his style, his demands and building his culture etc.. The other part of me thinks back to all the washed up running backs we had, trading for McNabb and the handling of a few situations that make me question what the hell he is doing

Correct me if I am wrong, but everyone who is bringing up $ for the reason Shanahan won't be fired is probably wrong.

If we have Shanahan for 7 million and fire him, and then let's say another team hires him for 5 million. Isn't Danny only on the hook for the difference? 2 Million? Or whatever the case may be.

I think it would be silly to think another team wouldn't go after Shanahan.

I don't want him fired. Part of me says there is a purge process with players, adjusting to his style, his demands and building his culture etc.. The other part of me thinks back to all the washed up running backs we had, trading for McNabb and the handling of a few situations that make me question what the hell he is doing

Your correct that Snyder would only be on the hook for the difference assuming an immediate hire by another club. If, as you say, another team would go after Shanny, what would that say about our franchise's dismissal of such a desired commodity? The questions on Mcnabb, etc. are valid which makes the approach this offseason all the more interesting.

I believe this is true. We wasted two draft picks on McNabb, just to bench him for Grossman. Now McNabb wants to leave. Shanny said he could stay if he is willing to be a back-up. If anyone knows McNabb he is not going to be a back-up QB. He could easily go to another team and start. From the way things are looking, we may end up having Grossman as starter for next season. I don't see a draft pick QB taking us to the play offs under the current O-Line that we have. If Shanny has a loosing season, he is done. The way Snyder is going to see it is that you wasted my draft picks, just to bench McNabb. Now he is gone and I have another loosing season.

I could this being the last season for Shanahan, Kyle Shanahan and possibly Bruce Allen.

Ah, the wonderful use of hindsight.. When Shanny got McNabb for a 2nd everyone in the organization praised the pickup and joked how they wrote his name on the draft board as their 2nd rounder. They printed his face on season tickets, on TV, on the billboards etc. Now, what your suggesting is, that because it didn't work out for whatever reason, that now Shanny is on the hot seat for "wasting picks". That's beautiful logic on us fans part. To me, if he would have covered his butt, left him in and rode him for three years that would have been "Vinny" like. I like the fact that they took a shot, it didn't work, Shanny and Bruce were smart enough to give themselves an out on the contract release but get ridiculed for that as well. The bottom line is, no one can ever do right by this fan base.. they either go all out and make big free agent splashes and get killed by "hindsight" or they have the balls to rebuild and get killed for not "winning now".

I support Bruce and Shanny 100% and I entrust the team to them until their contracts expire, that's fair in my opinion.

If we go back to the old Redskins and fire Shanny, hire some new guy who wins the off season FA and we get right back into the old swing then you can consider this fan done forever with the team after 30+ years. It's no wonder we are in an infinite loop, the damn fans are just as much to blame as the ownership.

My 2 cents are free.

YES!!! Best news I've heard all day!! For those that would stop being Skins fans I say, "Good riddance dont let the door hit ya on the way OUT!! If Shanny and Co dont produce next year then they should be let go plain and simple!! In todays NFL you have to win today and Shanahan didnt do it his last years in Denver( reaon why he was fired!) and he certainly aint doing it now. This year has been totally FUBAR!!

---------- Post added January-10th-2011 at 01:10 PM ----------

So Shanny gets a 2-3 year pass while a future hall-of-fame QB gets about 1/2 year to run a NEW system to perfection?! Sounds like a genius head coach we got here!

Shanahan and Bruce Allen aren't going anywhere. If so, Snyder truly needs to get his head examined along with the rest of you who think the coaching staff needs to purged (AGAINx5) after a season or two... or even three or four. Yes, there's always drama with this team (and honestly, there's drama with every NFL team... do you remember the best coach in the NFL having that little "spy gate" incident?), but FINALLY we truly know what it's like to see real leadership on our favorite professional football team. It's never going to be perfect... we're not going to win every down... every game.... and every Super Bowl every season... but for god's sake the coaching carousel and letting players not be held accountable has got to stop. Shanahan is here to stay. And regardless of our win-loss record this season, that makes me very happy.

YES!!! Best news I've heard all day!! For those that would stop being Skins fans I say, "Good riddance dont let the door hit ya on the way OUT!! If Shanny and Co dont produce next year then they should be let go plain and simple!! In todays NFL you have to win today and Shanahan didnt do it his last years in Denver( reaon why he was fired!) and he certainly aint doing it now. This year has been totally FUBAR!!

So Shanny gets a 2-3 year pass while a future hall-of-fame QB gets about 1/2 year to run a NEW system to perfection?! Sounds like a genius head coach we got here!

Nothing shocks me at ES anymore. Absolutely NOTHING!!! :doh:

I'd love to hear your suggestion on what "you" would do for the next coach, GM and what decisions you would make for this team. Please feel free to share, I'd be interested.

The QB has one job to do ....the head coach has a bout 2 dozen jobs to do...awful analogy.

Exactly thats why i just laugh at them. They're so busy trying to defend "the chosen one" Mike Shanahan that they dont realize that they're being hypocrites. They say give Shannahan time to prove he can win here but dont want to give McNabb time to learn a new system and prove he can be the guy, they say what has mcnabb done for the redskins...but what has shanny done for the redskins? They say the team needs accountability but the coach has none, They riddocule Vinny but praise Shanny for doing the same thing ( trade draft picks for older players, sign old free agents, bad trades, and this year shanny will sign some big name free agents just like vinny did), when vinny made mistakes he was crucified but when you bring up shanny's mistaks its " oh well it didnt work out just move on". I cant wait to see the spin they put on this offseason and praise shanny for doing such a good job filling holes on this team with free agency and the draft...when in actuality it will be the same thing we have been trying to do for years...just different people doing it. Just a bunch of hypocrites with blind faith in my opnion.

Right now they say that they dont want free agents but when there are rumors and we sign some players the board will be flooded with members who have hope excitement and optimisim just like every other year.

Its ok to like the coach and want him to succseed...we all want that we're all redskins fans here. But dont just have blind faith and ignore the bad things the coaching staff and front office does, the bad decisions they make, the warning signs...because you better believe that if this doesnt work out that most on here will flip and use hindsight 20/20 to say they saw it coming and shannahan was an idiot for making all the dumb moves he made. You know kinda like they do Vinny now.

And dont criticize the fans that do see whats going on and point out the mistakes that are being made, dont hate us just because we arent going all in with blind faith and acting like Shanny is a savior. Some of us just call it like we see it and want the coach to have some accountability. Like I said we all want the Redskins to win, we all want this to work out...but that doesnt mean that you should just ignore and dismiss the mistakes being made.

I just hope that with Shanny being held accountable that he makes a change on his my way or the highway philosophy and realize that you need talent and the best players to win...not just players that "fit your system"...great coaches coach and adapt their systems to the talent that they have on their team, the great coaches are managers of the talent that they have, and by that i mean manage the people not just the player. So far he has failed to do so.

I hope he changes and realizes that he cant just get rid of our best players. Because as a great coach once said " a great coach with no talent on his team is an EX COACH"

The question has got to be, what's plan B? If he has lost faith in Allen and Shannahan, who in God's name is he going to have faith IN? He brought back Gibbs, that was ok, but he's gone and not coming back. Zorn didn't work out... I mean, at some point you've just got to grit it and bear it for a while.

Though, I think if I was in his position, what would frustrate me, and make me want to pick up the phone and call Mike and have a chat with him has nothing to do with the football side. It's the PR side.

It sounds like within the locker room, guys respect him. And he never lost the team. They fought hard until the end. They tried something with McNabb, it didn't work. Those things are going to happen.

However, what is sortof inexcusable has been the soap opera surrounding the 'Skins. First with Fat Albert, then with McNabb being benched. There are just better ways to do it, and he's got to find those, and find them fast. Because the likes of Lavar, Dukes, Czaban, and the other mediots out there who just make ratings complaining about everything will not go away until they start winning consistently.

Exactly thats why i just laugh at them. They're so busy trying to defend "the chosen one" Mike Shanahan that they dont realize that they're being hypocrites. They say give Shannahan time to prove he can win here but dont want to give McNabb time to learn a new system and prove he can be the guy, they say what has mcnabb done for the redskins...but what has shanny done for the redskins? They say the team needs accountability but the coach has none, They riddocule Vinny but praise Shanny for doing the same thing ( trade draft picks for older players, sign old free agents, bad trades, and this year shanny will sign some big name free agents just like vinny did), when vinny made mistakes he was crucified but when you bring up shanny's mistaks its " oh well it didnt work out just move on". I cant wait to see the spin they put on this offseason and praise shanny for doing such a good job filling holes on this team with free agency and the draft...when in actuality it will be the same thing we have been trying to do for years...just different people doing it. Just a bunch of hypocrites with blind faith in my opnion.

Right now they say that they dont want free agents but when there are rumors and we sign some players the board will be flooded with members who have hope excitement and optimisim just like every other year.

Its ok to like the coach and want him to succseed...we all want that we're all redskins fans here. But dont just have blind faith and ignore the bad things the coaching staff and front office does, the bad decisions they make, the warning signs...because you better believe that if this doesnt work out that most on here will flip and use hindsight 20/20 to say they saw it coming and shannahan was an idiot for making all the dumb moves he made. You know kinda like they do Vinny now.

And dont criticize the fans that do see whats going on and point out the mistakes that are being made, dont hate us just because we arent going all in with blind faith and acting like Shanny is a savior. Some of us just call it like we see it and want the coach to have some accountability. Like I said we all want the Redskins to win, we all want this to work out...but that doesnt mean that you should just ignore and dismiss the mistakes being made.

I just hope that with Shanny being held accountable that he makes a change on his my way or the highway philosophy and realize that you need talent and the best players to win...not just players that "fit your system"...great coaches coach and adapt their systems to the talent that they have on their team, the great coaches are managers of the talent that they have, and by that i mean manage the people not just the player. So far he has failed to do so.

I hope he changes and realizes that he cant just get rid of our best players. Because as a great coach once said " a great coach with no talent on his team is an EX COACH"

hmmmmm ... I'm gonna go out on limb and guess you weren't part of the burgundy revolution last year ...

First of all, you are grossly exaggerating the free agent blunders of Shanny this past offseason. For the most part, Mcnabb was a big mistake and the coach has essentially admitted as much. So he's taken accountability for that mistake, and he has immediately began to try to go another direction...like it or not, that is what leaders do. Secondly, there is no comparison right now to the Cerrato Era because VC has many, many examples of failure to point out, and the current regime is simply dealing with them in the best way they know how.

There also has never been any talk of "not wanting" free agents as you claim. Free agents are a part of the current NFL team structure--to not want them or use them would be the kiss od death for a franchise because they can add immediate leadership and NFL talent to a roster. The issue with free agents as far as the REdskins are concearned is that in the past, we have overpaid undeserving players at the expense of building a complete roster, or using money more wisely to stockpile players in various positions to add depth. Being smart with their money and collecting as many young players through the draft is the route that they are commited to. And all of you Shanny haters out there--did you really think he was going to be able to take a plate of cow dung and turn it into a gourmet meal in one year?

I'd love to hear your suggestion on what "you" would do for the next coach, GM and what decisions you would make for this team. Please feel free to share, I'd be interested.

I know that you didnt direct this at me but it seems like fun and ill say what I would do if I were GM or coach. Im basing this as if we fired Shanny (which im not saying i would do)

Ok (clears throat while fixing his tie) I would hire Russ Grimm or Rob Ryan as head coach. I would prefer to Have Russ as head coach and Rob(or maybe Mike Singletary) as defensive cordinator. I would KEEP Donovan and haynesworth. I would tailor my system to the talent that we currently have on the team and i would put the players in the best position for them to succeed instead of forcing them into a system that they dont fit. In the draft I would go best player available (much like Ozzie Smith does with the Ravens), and I would try to trade Cooley and Andre Carter for a few extra picks. In free agency I would try to fill some holes because there are a ton of good players available this year. This is the perfect year to grab some good talent in free agency, young talent so they will be in redskins uniforms during their prime years instead of after their prime years. I would get rid of most of the older players on the team and let the young hungry unproven players loose. After the draft and free agency hopefully most of the holes are filled and I would look to undrafted free agents to get some good depth on the team and practice squad.

That would be my first offseason and the foundation would of been laid with young hungry talent sprinkled in with some veteran talent and leaders to show the young guys what it is to be a proffessional in this league. Then hopefully year 2 I can fill the rest of the holes on the team and start my yearly traddition of collecting talent in the draft and free agency so eventually my depth would be filled with young ballers ready to step in at a moments notice forcing me to make tough decisions on who the starter should be because my depth is almost as good as the starters. That way I can trade some starters after their prime for more draft picks. I dont give a damn about who the fan favorite is...im running this like the Steelers and Patriots.

Oh yea and im cutting Rex Grossman ASAP.

Archived