Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What is higher priority: #1 WR or Feature RB? You make the argument!

NoCalMike

There are a couple of solid WR's on that list outside of Lelie, Marshall and Royal. Maybe not 1000 yard RB solid but still decent. Jeffers had 1000 yards and 12 TD's one year for Carolina. Byron Chamberlain was actually a TE and he went to the Pro Bowl with Minny (and played for the Skins apparently, for one year, I don't remember him though.) Billy Miller (another TE) had a decent career and was still in the league up to last year (had 600 yards receiving for the Saints in '08), which means something. And Hixon is a decent player. Good special teams player.

Oh and Kevin Kasper was on like 9 teams, which is more than Marko Mitchell can say :)

A lot of those are late round guys. I think it speaks more to it being easier to find a RB than a WR, period, rather than anything Shanahan specific. I'd like to see a breakdown of the top RB's in the game and their draft positions vs the top WR's in the game and their draft positions.

i dont think we really need a RB at all. Torain and Kieland might just make a great duo. i think a RB that "takes it to the house" isnt nearly as important as a RB that can break off consistent chunks of yards. and even then we havent even seen what Davis has in store for us.

on the other hand... we have JOEY "GRANDPA" GALLOWAY and his buttery fingers starting at WR.

now YOU tell ME what we are in bigger need of

I wish we would have solved this last draft and picked Blount. Living in Lake Tahoe I knew a lot about him and live with an Oregon fan. No reason not to take a chance in the 7th round. It depends on whats available when we are drafting. We def need to address WR and with Williams and Ryan I think all we need is a speed back and that group would be okay. Since Portis we havent used a high round draft pick on a RB so if there is a stud there in the first round wouldnt mind taking the RB either.

I'm going to say WR over the running back. Like many have said on here, speedy running backs aren't as hard to find compared to a strong reciever. We really need that guy that teams focus on double teaming so we can open the TE's, slot WR, and RB up.

One good thing in our favor is that Shanahan has had success with running backs AND wide receivers that weren't drafted in the 1st round. People usually bring up the RBs (Davis, Portis, Anderson), but the Wrs (McCaffrey, Smith, Marshall, Royal) are rarely mentioned. If we stop trading away our 2nd, 3rd, and 4th round draft picks, then Shanahan should be able to find some nice skill players with some of those picks.

Give me an Adrian Peterson over an Andre Johnson anytime.

Except for when it comes to the Redskins. We can plug any RB in the game and they could produce.

I conclude by asking, did you see all the drop balls today???

I think this is the operative point, its rare in the draft for players at your spot to be absolutely equal per position. Is Mark Ingram exactly as good as Julio Jones? Maybe. But I trust Shanny's evaluation of offensive players if he thinks Ingram for example as another Peterson, then you take him, if not and lets say Jones, is another Calvin Johnson, you take him. Our team has really struggled over the years finding WRs, our division rivals all have young stud WRs, everything being equal, I'd go WR, but things are rarely equal.

Highest priority is an offensive guard or a nose tackle if we're continuing with 3-4. It might even be a linebacker. Who knows if Rocky is going to stay, London's can't last forever, Orakpo is basically a stand up d end who gets in trouble in the space, and while Alexander has been a great surprise I don't know that he's our guy. Plus, what's going on with our coverage there's always someone wide open... I think that's because all we have is defensive ends at linebacker. We lack a good free safety and our corners are man guys not zone guys.

So, rb and wr are not highest on my list at all.

not even a comparsion here for me...a #1 WR...hands down, I mean Ryan Torain, now Keiland Williams is showing that (even more so with a good OL) that a Shanahan running game can be successful with just about anyone....but we have no other WR other then Moss (who really is a #2)..sure Armstrong has 1 or 2 catches a game...but what is that......my #1 priority out of these 2 positions would be Santanio Holmes this off-season

I know that oline was not one of the options but that is clearly what is needed. Look at the colts, Yes they have Peyton but the oline gives him the time and the wr's and te's and rb are people you have never heard of before. Like Mike hart of michigan, wr Collie from i don't know universaty, and te Tamme from Kentucky.this are guys that are considerd avg at best and yet the do well in a system that has a functioning oline to work it.In 92 we had the best oline and an avg at best qb Mark Rypein who's lone quality was a great deep ball, his accuracy other wise was terrible.Monk, Clark and Sanders and Didier and Warren hid alot of bad passes with great catching.but the oline gave him time all year and lead us to the Superbowl .we have some guys now, but if i had to pick at this point i would say a wr.they both would help but rb's by and large are better across the board and the wr's can be more hit or miss.

Ah, I must have read it too quickly... I was reading it as which one do we spend our number one on. Which is the highest priority? Because the names being bandied about are all first round guys.

Between the two, I'd probably lean running back, because we have gutsy guys, but no one with speed. We need speed. Moss, Armstrong, Austin, Kelly next year will be at least an average group with a nice mixture of speed and effort. It's a bit small, but so were the Pats when they got it going, so were the 'skins when they got it going. You don't build your team around a receiver... so between the two, I'd go for a running back. Torrain is tough, but does have that injury rep. Keiland is pretty good at a lot of things, but doesn't excel at anything and Portis is just too fragile at this point. The only thing he's got left is heart.

The answer is neither. Address the Oline (and the RBs you have will have room to run, or the QB will have time to hit the receivers) or the Dline (and upgrade the worst D in the league). This team has a LOT of holes to fill. I think those positions can be quite overrated. The skins are adequate now, but definitely not great. I feel they can 'get by' another year with what they have. RBs and WR can be brought in, great O and D lineman need to be picked young and developed.

Even in the draft with these positions, it should be a best available situation 4th round or later. So I feel neither is a priority.

The answer is neither. Address the Oline (and the RBs you have will have room to run, or the QB will have time to hit the receivers) or the Dline (and upgrade the worst D in the league). This team has a LOT of holes to fill. I think those positions can be quite overrated. The skins are adequate now, but definitely not great. I feel they can 'get by' another year with what they have. RBs and WR can be brought in, great O and D lineman need to be picked young and developed.

Again, this wasn't the question. The question is, between the two, which is the biggest priority. It doesn't say don't address the lines.

Assuming J. Brown comes back healthy, the needs along the line are the interior, pretty rare to use a mid level first rounder on a guard or center unless they are outstanding prospects. They are usually 2nd/3rd rounders.

i think it's been proven time and time again that good RB's and WR's can be found everywhere. Including by picking up ones in FA/Trades.

you look at shanahan's past, and he's kind of plug and play at RB. hell, williams is looking decent and he's a 3rd string back...

i think O and D line are the most important for the next few years. We'll hit or miss on late round picks at other positiions, but you build your team from the inside out. thats where we need to start.

i think it's been proven time and time again that good RB's and WR's can be found everywhere. Including by picking up ones in FA/Trades.

you look at shanahan's past, and he's kind of plug and play at RB. hell, williams is looking decent and he's a 3rd string back...

i think O and D line are the most important for the next few years. We'll hit or miss on late round picks at other positiions, but you build your team from the inside out. thats where we need to start.

We certainly haven't found WR's all over the draft, we stink at it. First rounders: M. Westbrook, Desmond Howard, Rod Gardner, 2nd rounders, Kelly, Thomas, T. Jacobs. and no we haven't found in a long time diamonds in the rough in the later rounds.

You look at our division rivals -- Eagles -- Maclin, 1st rounder, D. Jackson, 2nd rounder. Giants -- S. Smith 2nd rounder, Hicks 1st rounder. Cowboys, D. Bryant, 1st rounder, exception to the rule is Austin undrafted.

I think that we will find the right combination in the draft because we are due for a really good draft from a guy, like Allen, that can get some quality picks. I think that we have the right combination of HC and GM to find those players even if I said that they both aren't good evaluators of talent. That was said out of anger of the loss to Philly on Monday night. Allen did well in Tampa but they just didn't have a great coach to go along with that. Shanahan is a great coach that can do things with the talent that is given him. This year is a prime example so far. After 10 games we sit 5-5 with a chance to make the playoffs if we can win 5 out of the last 6 games. Even 8-8 would be an accomplishment with this team. I think that next year this team will improve more and what we learned from this years wins and losses will carry over to benefit this team. I am still hopeful that we will win enough to make the playoffs but at this point I am just watching with little to no expectations. Just seeing if the Grace of God will bless this team with a new found belief in winning.

Archived