Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What is higher priority: #1 WR or Feature RB? You make the argument!

NoCalMike

I think #1 WR. I'd love to see us get AJ Green in the first round of the draft. Assuming we get some interior OL help in free agency. I think we can find a more than capable RB in a later round of the draft.

You better start thinking about Julio Jones because thats probably around range where we'll be picking.

Somewhere in the 10-15 range to be exact.

I agree with pretty much all who favored a WR. Plus...if J. Davis can pan out, that saves the team a draft pick. I really hope we can see this guy in action this year, just to see if we can work out or not. If so, perfect, that frees up a pick to use elsewhere. If he doesn't work out, then we know, and can draft a RB.

Good RBs can be found all over the draft. For that reason, a #1 WR is more important to get.

That's really the issue. The amount of run of the mill RBs that can produce is staggering.

Plus every team now uses two. Believe it or not Torrain and Williams could get it done.

Of all the positions on offense, RB is the one that requires the least talent....see daylight, run to it.

Plus, who was the last elite "feature back" to win a Super Bowl? Jamal Lewis? Marshall Faulk?

A #1 WR is a real asset, just look at the Giants since Burress literally shot himself in the leg.

The problem with #1 WRs is that they are crazy. You have to luck out twice and not only pick a talented guy but one that isn't going to embarrass the franchise or disrupt the locker room.

Torrain & Williams are nice supporting role RBs but neither has he breakaway speed that allows them to take the rock to the house if they get one big block. Our team is desperately missing a burst of speed behind the los. How many times have we seen our RB seemingly get a key block, only to still be run down from behind?

A 'feature' back that has breakaway speed is a rare commodity and its something i don't think teams should expect to be able to find.

Imo you shouldn't build an offense with the need of a feature back with breakaway speed.

You should be able to field a productive offense with a solid running game that doesn't have many negative plays and runs the ball hard and makes the right reads.

These backs can be found and more importantly coached into that role and Mike Shanahan and Bobby Turner have a history of being able to produce a solid running game without using high round draft picks at the position.

If we start next season with an improved OL and 2 out of these Keiland Williams, Torain and James Davis plus addind a 3rd speed type back in the late in the draft or as UDFA.

It would be a young producive group with a low cap-space.

On the flipside. Moss is our #1 WR. His lack of size & strength make him almost a ghost in the redzone. The fade pass in non-existent in our offense even though it is used by every other team in the league. Our QB will never have the forture of being able to heave a ball downfield knowing his guy can come away with a ball that is in contention.

Again i would say finding a #1 WR is a tall task and just because a player is drafted or signed as FA they shouldn't automatically be expected to become a true #1 WR because their aren't many in the league.

I think with a better OL and a passing game more focused on the TEs we would be fine.

Tana is solid, Armstrong imo is a quality starter a good deep threat and can make the tough catch with his hands and going up against a DB to win a jump-ball.(see Green Bay)

Now if we could add another young quality WR to the corps i think we would have enough to win.

But, i don't think we need a feature true #1 WR either.

Imo we need good 3rd WR and for all we know it could be Austin could be that guy.

I am not saying either position is our #1 priority, however, out of these two huge key weapon-positions on offense, which do you think is more of an immediate need for our team?

I think skill position players are ancillary to a quality OL and imo we do not have an adequate enough OL to take any other position then OL in the early rounds of the draft.

But to answer your question directly i would rather have a feature running back like Adrian Peterson or Chris Johnson then any feature WR.

But the Chris Johnson's and Adrian Peterson's don't come around every draft and even less often in FA.

If it had to be one or the other, I'd go with WR. A true impact WR is harder to find where as there has been a solid history of finding top backs in the 2nd through 4th rounds in recent years. This is also evident in Shanahans history as well. Not to mention I don't think we can afford to spend one on RB this year with the needs we may have to get the 3-4 going right on Defense and the need for young center and/or guard.

Neither. O-line, d-line, o-line, d-line. If you're controlling the LOS, the talent positions become better players regardless of their "feature" value. (My apologies for bucking the point of the thread.)

Can't argue with that. But...if we're committed to the 34, I'd also put as much emphasis on LBs as both Lines.

Keep in mind we'll probably have Vincent Jackson, Moss, Kelly, Armstrong, Banks & one other as WRs next year.

We might need one RB in the draft but even the Torains and Williams of this world can look good behind some big beef up front. Definitely AT LEAST a new center and new guard.

We shouldnt throw our pick away on a WR! We been calling for WR's every single year, lets get everything else we need then take a shot at reciever as the last piece we need. We are terrible at drafting recievers, just 2 or 3 years ago everyone was so excited after the draft when we got 3 1st rd talent taken in the 2nd round.

If a top flight Center isn't your top priority, then you probably haven't been watching. However, in keeping with the spirit of the thread, a WR would be a greater priority than a RB.

..................but get the Center! 1st round pick!

There won't be a Center worth drafting where we'll be in the first round.

As someone who's started the draft thread and done a lot of work in it along with a lot of other people who have put a lot of time into it, I can say right now this, we are a team that can't afford to reach in the first round. Yes we need OL help I think everyone knows that and we have some needs on the DL as well but right now our best value in the 1st round is OLB and WR. There are several WR's with top 10 to top 20 grades with AJ Green, Julio Jones, Justin Blackmon and Jonathan Baldwin. At OLB you have guys like Robert Quinn and Da'Quan Bowers as possible guys along with another guy Aldon Smith out of Mizzou.

Basically what I'm getting at here is this, we have needs we all know about but this team is going need to use the draft to get the BPA at areas where they can use upgrades. It wouldn't surprise me one bit to see them go WR in round 1 and then a NT or OG in the 2nd round. There are no centers worth a 1st round pick No guards worth a 1st round pick and the top rated OT's are all LT's in the NFL from what I've watched of them. We need to use this draft to the best in the positions its deep and talent rich in

As someone who's started the draft thread and done a lot of work in it along with a lot of other people who have put a lot of time into it, I can say right now this, we are a team that can't afford to reach in the first round. Yes we need OL help I think everyone knows that and we have some needs on the DL as well but right now our best value in the 1st round is OLB and WR. There are several WR's with top 10 to top 20 grades with AJ Green, Julio Jones, Justin Blackmon and Jonathan Baldwin. At OLB you have guys like Robert Quinn and Da'Quan Bowers as possible guys along with another guy Aldon Smith out of Mizzou.

Basically what I'm getting at here is this, we have needs we all know about but this team is going need to use the draft to get the BPA at areas where they can use upgrades. It wouldn't surprise me one bit to see them go WR in round 1 and then a NT or OG in the 2nd round. There are no centers worth a 1st round pick No guards worth a 1st round pick and the top rated OT's are all LT's in the NFL from what I've watched of them. We need to use this draft to the best in the positions its deep and talent rich in

If Da'Quan Bowers comes out this year, and the Redskins draft him, then holy crap!!! The defense with Orakapo, Landry, and Bowers can be insanely good.

If Da'Quan Bowers comes out this year, and the Redskins draft him, then holy crap!!! The defense with Orakapo, Landry, and Bowers can be insanely good.

As much as I love Bowers as a prospect I think he'll end up going top 10 to a team like Detroit who needs a pass rusher opposite of VandenBosch. Can you imagine a DL of Suh, Vanden Bosch and Bowers? That's scary like no other

Archived