Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What is higher priority: #1 WR or Feature RB? You make the argument!

NoCalMike

It's amazing how many people aren't reading the OP...

He clearly states that he doesn't even necessarily believe that either one is the priority, but if you had to choose one, which would it be.

Yes, we need OL/DL help, you'd have to be blind to not figure that out. This thread isn't saying, "hey let's ignore the lines!" It's saying "Hey, if you had to pick between a WR or a RB, what would you take?"

Definitely WR. We've talked about how Shanny can do great things with a 'decent' RB corps, and he's already proven it this year. The inevitable loss of Portis doesn't seem to concern anyone. A few good men, as they say, should get the job done.

I'm hoping VJax makes it on board, and we can worry about other needs this offseason.

Shanny has shown that his offensive scheme can find a great run game without big name RB's. Torain and an UFA named Keiland Williams have performed quite admirably for us. Next year, with a healthy Portis/Torain/Williams combo, I think we'll have a decent run game. We desperately need help at WR. We haven't had 2 good WR since like Albert Connell. Even now, after all these years and coaching changes, and free agents, our entire passing attack is Moss and Cooley. That hasn't changed since those 2 guys first got here like 6 or 7 years ago.

And what season exactly was Portis healthy in recent years. Love the guy but he is done. A RB that can't stay on the field does no one any good. His time on the field between injuries is getting less and less. Not even a quarter this time.

James Davis will get the ball/some playing time this weekend with all the injuries at RB. He should be the long term fix there, we'll see this week. I think we can get quality WR or two from free agency next off season, there should be enough. And the Comb - hahaha - he comes back next year too, and knows what to expect. I think we can pass on drafting a RB or WR. WR is bigger priority, Shanny has a nack of finding talented RB deep in the draft. So look at NT, OL, C, LB, CB, FS. If we move Al, a DL.

It's amazing how many people aren't reading the OP...

He clearly states that he doesn't even necessarily believe that either one is the priority, but if you had to choose one, which would it be.

Yes, we need OL/DL help, you'd have to be blind to not figure that out. This thread isn't saying, "hey let's ignore the lines!" It's saying "Hey, if you had to pick between a WR or a RB, what would you take?"

Mainly because if McNabb has a decent OL he'll have all day to pick you a part with half decent WR's. However.... Shanahan can work wonders with less talented RB's vs. any other HC. On top of that K.Williams did a fine job and people keep saying Davis is the type of RB Shanahan needs in his scheme. So I guess we will see this weekend how good he is.

To have to choose then probably WR which is why it was the only one of the two I put in my lineup.

So watching MNF tonight, Rivers passes a medium zone pass to Sproles and dude takes it to the house.....

Another example showing that SPEED KILLS in the NFL.

When was the last time we had a play on offense, where you see a burgandy jersey streaking down the field with the opposing jerseys are chasing to no avail? Come on people we are seriously missing this element on our team, whether you prefer it come in the form of a WR or RB.....

If we could live with one or the other, I'd say living with our RB's would be the better option.

I thank Gawd for our TE's for making the plays that they made yesterday but I think that if we had another option (along with Moss) at wide-out, Mcnabb would go CRAZY in the passing game. We only need our RB's to give us, at least what Williams and Portis (before the injury) gave us yesterday in order to get more TD scoring opportunities if we had better receivers.

No, Torain, Williams nor Portis will break the big one but, when healthy they can produce the necessary rushing attack that would keep defenses honest and allow McNabb to break games open with his passes IF he only had THAT other/main receiver.

Drafting a WR is the way to go for a number of reasons. Firstly, Santana Moss has been the #1 WR for too long and we need to draft someone in the Percy Harvin type of mold. I like this AJ Green from Georgia but he may be gone off the draft boards by the time the Redskins pick. A half back can be taken in the second or third round. Hell, Terrell Davis was a 6th round draft choice and would have had a HOF career had it not been for those blasted knee injuries. But certainly WR is the Redskins most pressing need. The passing game must get going.

Mainly because if McNabb has a decent OL he'll have all day to pick you a part with half decent WR's. However.... Shanahan can work wonders with less talented RB's vs. any other HC. On top of that K.Williams did a fine job and people keep saying Davis is the type of RB Shanahan needs in his scheme. So I guess we will see this weekend how good he is.

To have to choose then probably WR which is why it was the only one of the two I put in my lineup.

We could use another lineman. remember the game is won up front, in the trenches.

Unless there's a WR that's a slam dunk difference maker like Dez Bryant you have to go RB.

However, OL still trumps them both.

What if James Davis works out? We should find out this Sunday and hopefully the rest of the year if this guy has it or not. If so, then this thread is over, because the team won't need a RB. If not, then a RB is a must, but at this point, I'd put more weight on a WR.

We could use another lineman. remember the game is won up front, in the trenches.

Sorry thats what I'm refering to. If we get better at OL or more younger healthier OL and they can block better giving McNabb all day to pick the other defense apart we really don't need exceptional WR's. We could get by with simply decent WR's. Plus if the OL is good enough hopefully they can create holes which would allow the RB to have decent runs causing the Safeties to have to move up.

So basically I was saying the same thing.... we need better OL for the trenches.

Unless there's a WR that's a slam dunk difference maker like Dez Bryant you have to go RB.

However, OL still trumps them both.

My problem is in M.Shanahan's system he never needed a lights out RB. On top of that K.Williams and Torain and Davis are all pretty good RB's. If anything we might need a power back for when M.Shanahan wants to simply pound the ball into the end zone. Otherwise I think we are set at RB.

So for those of you who are befuddled at why people can't simply stick to the question I'd say WR is more of an importance if those are my only choices. But in reality it won't be. OL is a bigger need, somewhere in there we need NT, LB, FS, and yes a WR.

OL- get younger and healthier and faster with better blocking McNabb will do better.

NT- who knows if AH will stay but we need a true NT to move the pocket.

FS- Landry and Doughty are nice SS but they are not good FS. Lets get a true FS and move them to SS.

LB- Carter needs replaced.

WR- yes we need a true #1 WR. Someone to help out Moss, or replace Moss.

What befuddles me is why people seem to think we have a drastic need at RB? K.Williams has run very good. solid. Torain if he can get healthy was a beast running over people and being hard to take down. Some here think Davis will prove to be Portis's replacement. So why is RB even brought up in this question is the befuddling part. How about changing it to WR or OL.

How about changing it to WR or OL.

Because the answer is obvious. Clearly, the OP wanted a conversation without the OL talk. Clearly, it didn't work out.

If you are a fan of this team and don't think we need OL/DL help you're out of your mind. It's obvious.

Out of the two options proposed, I would say WR. That is if we are talking about using an early draft pick for someone we think will be a #1 WR. We do need a true #1 guy there. I wouldn't use an early draft pick on any RB though. If there is a speed guy with decent size available after the first two rounds, I would be okay with that selection. Before that, RB is not a necessity.

My problem is in M.Shanahan's system he never needed a lights out RB.........What befuddles me is why people seem to think we have a drastic need at RB? K.Williams has run very good. solid. Torain if he can get healthy was a beast running over people and being hard to take down. Some here think Davis will prove to be Portis's replacement. So why is RB even brought up in this question is the befuddling part. How about changing it to WR or OL.

Not everyone thinks we have a drastic need at RB, that wasn't the question.

In general i think its better to have a 'feature' RB then a 'feature' WR.

There are many problem's with this question because the terms are loose, meaning we may define 'feature' and 'priority' differently.

Not to mention that the OP asks a different question in the title then in the post.

But, either way it should make for a good discussion if people actually were willing to discuss.

You mention Mike Shanahan's teams never needed a lights out RB?

But his superbowl teams were built around Terrell Davis not around a WR.

Career highlights and awards

4th RB in NFL History to rush for 2,000 yards

3× Pro Bowl selection (1996, 1997, 1998)

3× First-team All-Pro selection (1996, 1997, 1998)

2× Super Bowl champion (XXXII, XXXIII)

NFL 1990s All-Decade Team

1998 NFL MVP

1998 PFWA NFL MVP

2× NFL Offensive Player of the Year (1996, 1998)

1996 UPI AFL-AFC Player of the Year

1997 Super Bowl MVP

When I posted this thread, I was not trying to imply that either of these positions was our team's #1 priority. Obvious what we need first and foremost is draft picks in bunches to load up on a couple studs for each line, plus a lot of depth players to fill in when needed.

With that said, my question was more of a hypothetical. And even more a question in general that goes beyond just the Redskins.

I was asking IN GENERAL, if you could choose to have a #1 WR or a feature RB which would you choose.

You guys still are wanting to try and get WRs after all we been thur, look at our history. Armstrong is like 3rd yds per catch. Even Detroit may be better than us at drafting recievers. If we use a high draft pick, it would be like throwing it away, remember a couple of years ago.

You guys still are wanting to try and get WRs after all we been thur, look at our history. Armstrong is like 3rd yds per catch. Even Detroit may be better than us at drafting recievers. If we use a high draft pick, it would be like throwing it away, remember a couple of years ago.

First off, we have a different FO now.

Second, you aren't addressing the premise of the OP.

Archived