Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Designer Jeans

mhd24

:ols:

Oh Gawd, I'm not saying he's some "ultra-manly" dude. As for what he spends his money on, nothing. Seriously, nothing. He was born into a broken home, grew up a complete scrapper and spent all his money he had on college and grad. school. These days, he spends his money on rent, paying back loans, and expenses related to wrestling (traveling, lodging, and food when on trips). He literally spends no money outside of bills and wrestling expenses. I'm the spender our relationship. :silly:

Now THAT I can respect...though I was holding out hope he spent money to feed his giant pet ox.

As for my husband, he's pretty much against all designer stuff, all expensive stuff, most brand name stuff, etc. He does not understand anyone who is into fashion, guy or girl, but especially guys. He thinks it's mentally weak guys who try to impress others with overpriced stuff, particularly designer jeans, fancy sunglasses, and Affliction attire. That's just his way of thinking. He thinks it's the vast, vast, vast minority of guys who buy overpriced clothing, cars, etc. just for themselves and not to impress others.

What constitutes overpriced for your husband? It seems like he's making excuses for being cheap. Everyone has different things they like to buy "overpriced" items for. I enjoy cars so I bought a Mercedes. Am I trying to impress anyone? Sure why not. I'd be lying to you if I said I didn't buy it as a status symbol. Did I buy it because I know that driving a Mercedes is much more comfortable and enjoyable than a Toyota? Yes. Did I buy it because a Mercedes will last me much longer with less hassle than a Toyota? Yes.

At the same time, I could care less about electronics. I have a crappy Toshiba laptop. Don't care. I have a Zune that I bought like 3-4 years ago that is bulky as hell but it works fine so I never bought an iPod. Am I gonna sit here and be judgmental about people who did get one? Nah.

I'm guessing people who buy designer jeans follow the same rationale. If someone likes to dress in designer brand names, it doesn't necessarily have to fall in one category: impressing others. He could be doing it for that and for other reasons. Which makes me ask, what is so wrong with that?

What constitutes overpriced for your husband? It seems like he's making excuses for being cheap. Everyone has different things they like to buy "overpriced" items for. I enjoy cars so I bought a Mercedes. Am I trying to impress anyone? Sure why not.

the mercedes would be impressive only if you didn't live with Mom & Dad.

Her husband sounds like because of the way he grew up he appreciates the little things in life. Doesn't sound cheap to me.

I read that after I posted my response. Good for him, he reminds me a lot of my mother who grew up the same way. Most selfless person I've ever known, keaastman seems lucky to have a husband like that.

I buy the live cow and carve my own steak with my bowie knife. You guessed it, the same one I shave with.

****es

Cow???? You guys are wussy men, try taking down a wild boar with your bare hands and using the tusk to skin him and carve out your pork chops, then starting a fire with sticks to cook them. That's old school manly right there. ;)

keeastman, you're a dying breed, unfortunately.
And I shall fight to the bitter end...on an internet message board!!!! Actually, I'm not a dying breed, I'm pretty much a spoiled brat who buys nice things for herself who's husband doesn't notice :ols:
I can't wait to hear about this either. I'm guessing power tools, scotch, and concrete mix.

Well, he did get an air compressor about 2 months ago so he could airbrush paint custom wrestling shoes, which he does for a lot of the wrestlers as an extra source of income. :D

And he likes Jack and Jager...but I buy those for him when I go to the grocery store.

I don't think there's anything wrong with expensive clothes. I think that the idea that you NEED expensive clothes is a major character flaw though. It's a luxury, just like the pair of expensive shoes or watch that seem to be more socially acceptable.

If you're saving up the money you've been making behind a McDonald's grill for some expensive jeans, you are a dumdum. Got a great job? You won't be made fun of by me.

Cow???? You guys are wussy men, try taking down a wild boar with your bare hands and using the tusk to skin him and carve out your pork chops, then starting a fire with sticks to cook them. That's old school manly right there. ;)

puhlease, did that on my lunch hour in rosslyn :)

What constitutes overpriced for your husband? It seems like he's making excuses for being cheap. Everyone has different things they like to buy "overpriced" items for. I enjoy cars so I bought a Mercedes. Am I trying to impress anyone? Sure why not. I'd be lying to you if I said I didn't buy it as a status symbol. Did I buy it because I know that driving a Mercedes is much more comfortable and enjoyable than a Toyota? Yes. Did I buy it because a Mercedes will last me much longer with less hassle than a Toyota? Yes.

At the same time, I could care less about electronics. I have a crappy Toshiba laptop. Don't care. I have a Zune that I bought like 3-4 years ago that is bulky as hell but it works fine so I never bought an iPod. Am I gonna sit here and be judgmental about people who did get one? Nah.

I'm guessing people who buy designer jeans follow the same rationale. If someone likes to dress in designer brand names, it doesn't necessarily have to fall in one category: impressing others. He could be doing it for that and for other reasons. Which makes me ask, what is so wrong with that?

You know the concept at play here isn't that difficult. Men, in this society, aren't supposed to be pretty. They aren't supposed to try to be pretty and talk about what brands they buy in order to make themselves pretty. Electronics, cars, etc are stuff that does stuff. Men are supposed to like stuff that does stuff. Is society right in the grand design of the universe? Who the hell knows... we are however on a football message board and the attitude here isn't exactly surprising. If we want to be disingenuous and pretend this is all about price we can do that but I doubt getting a clear coat on your nails is too expensive and I'm sure that would have an even greater reaction than the pretty jeans thread has thus far. I'm sure we'd have a similar reaction to a debate arguing that barber shops are lame and that men should go to spa's instead because they can afford the luxury.

You know the concept at play here isn't that difficult. Men, in this society, aren't supposed to be pretty. They aren't supposed to try to be pretty and talk about what brands they buy in order to make themselves pretty. Electronics, cars, etc are stuff that does stuff. Men are supposed to like stuff that does stuff. Is society right in the grand design of the universe? Who the hell knows... we are however on a football message board and the attitude here isn't exactly surprising. If we want to be disingenuous and pretend this is all about price we can do that but I doubt getting a clear coat on your nails is too expensive and I'm sure that would have an even greater reaction than the pretty jeans thread has thus far. I'm sure we'd have a similar reaction to a debate arguing that barber shops are lame and that men should go to spa's instead because they can afford the luxury.

Fair enough. But to be completely honest with you, I admire someone who doesn't give a crap what society thinks of him (at least in terms of fashion sense) a lot more than someone who judges others based on social norms. My guess is the latter also has issues of his own where he is concerned with others think of him where as the former doesn't.

But like you said, this thread was a bad idea, especially on a football message board.

Archived