Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Designer Jeans

mhd24

Please don't pass judgment without knowing. I attend an extremely good school and already have a HIGH paying job within my major, all of which I achieved on my own with very little help from anyone else. I'm not trying to sound ****y, but don't bring up the "mommy and daddy's money" crap.

I make enough money that I can buy whatever I feel like and still save enough at the end of the day. BTW, I do drive a Mercedes, one that I bought with my own money. I don't buy $175 jeans, but I do have pairs of clothes that are a little expensive than normal. Don't hate. I wasn't the first overall pick in the NBA draft but I did work my ass off right out of high school to put myself in the position I am in today. I live on my own, pay my own bills and still have enough saved to put in the bank and spend on myself.

That's great that you're 20 and living on your own and all. But is this Mercedes new? Because if so, I'm thinking you're trying too hard. That's not a car for a 20 year old, imo.

I primarily used to buy Express jeans (mainly cause they were always on sale for $30 and under). I also got a pair of J. Crew jeans for $12 somehow. However, my friend asked me to try Lucky Brand one time last March. I bought a pair there for $30 (regular price $150). The fit is still great and the color has not faded much. It's honestly the most comfortable pair of jeans I have worn. I, like most responding in this thread, never bothered looking for a pair of jeans that had a list price of more than $60-$70 (and I never buy stuff at list price). I try these Lucky Brand jeans for the first time and immediately notice a difference.

Further, they always have sales, especially at the outlets, so they cost only $30-$50. I'm not going to lie, what makes more sense, buying a bunch of Wrangler or Old Navy jeans for $20-$30 apiece that don't fit well, or a pair from Lucky Brand for $30-$50 that will last much longer, look better, and are a whole lot more comfortable. There is a difference in denim quality people. It really is the same as buying a suit, the cut matters, hence the quote "wearing it like a cheap suit" or whatever.

Also, no, one should not wear jeans for a job interview. However,wearing a darkwash pair to work or social events has become pretty acceptable.

That being said, it seems Sevens are pretty popular here, as well as True Religions. I am still semi-old school and don't want jeans with huge ugly logos on the back pockets, so what are some other brands w/o that stuff (True Religion seems to have those).

In Buddhist, Hindu and Jain, teachings, a major key point is SELFLESS actions without desire for reward (in this case, reward being attention). A person can donate to charity, by doing that he isn't trying to get fame or attention out of it. He is doing it out of his own good will. In the same example, a person can donate to charity with all the wrong intentions. True practitioners follow example 1. This is just one small example on the entire premises (being selfless and not attracting attention) of these three religions (although most Hindu's generally fail big time at following this). If a person desires to be clean and have long hair, he isn't necessarily doing it because he wants others to notice. None of the religions preach that one must completely stop taking care of themselves because tehy might be "trying to impress other people". I'm not even sure how you came up with this ridiculous notion.

Vishal, I'm guessing based on your name you are Hindu, like myself. Second, are you basing a lot of your knowledge/points on a class and your visits to a Buddhist monastery? If you haven't noticed, Buddhism has a few sects of it's own and some of them are just as structured as Christian monastic orders. Therefore, reputation does matter for them. Their credibility is reduced otherwise, and it happens in every religion. That, I believe is the point Zoony is trying to make, that they do care about what their peers think, just like in any religion for that matter. It's a political notion, looking good in public for others, but it's existed throughout history. You do hear of Hindu ascetics who do go off on their own w/o any contact with humankind, and yes, maybe their only peer is God. Their appearance can be suspect at times, but it doesn't matter. I'm sure there are selfless people like that in other religions as well. And I agree with your earlier posts, it would be nice to finally not care about what others around you believe, as doing so helps one be free from attachment and be selfless.

All that being said, Zoony is not quite as culturally ignorant as you would like to think, having met him in person on a few occasions for games. None of his posts were to any level of bashing another culture, he was just making generalizations that are true for the most part, but obviously not universal for all involved with those cultures.

I don't. I live in a studio apartment. I pay my own bills. Have a very good paying job. Go to school at GW.

Thanks for asking.

Dude your posts are ultra-lame, I must say. "I have a MERCEDES, I bought my MERCEDES because I want to be flashy. I pay my own bills WOWWW" - this isnt a destiny's child song dude, you're bragging about mediocre accomplishments to a bunch of people who dont know you nor do they really care. Half the people on this thread could have a nicer car than you, a house they OWN, and could be right around your age or younger - who do you think you're impressing?

Dont try and keep up with the joneses dude. Your attempts to impress people are weak, sooner you realize it better off you'll be.

fast forward to 1 minute,big pimpin, & listen - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2ywdb-5oek

Probably what the dude in the SL65 is thinking when you pull up in your 06 E320. Keep it real.

Dude your posts are ultra-lame, I must say. "I have a MERCEDES, I bought my MERCEDES because I want to be flashy. I pay my own bills WOWWW" - this isnt a destiny's child song dude, you're bragging about mediocre accomplishments to a bunch of people who dont know you nor do they really care. Half the people on this thread could have a nicer car than you, a house they OWN, and could be right around your age or younger - who do you think you're impressing?

Dont try and keep up with the joneses dude. Your attempts to impress people are weak, sooner you realize it better off you'll be.

fast forward to 1 minute,big pimpin, & listen - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2ywdb-5oek

Probably what the dude in the SL65 is thinking when you pull up in your 06 E320. Keep it real.

Nobody is bragging. The guy attacked me by saying "I live with mommy and daddy". I answered back. Sorry my post offended you so much?

Vishal, I'm guessing based on your name you are Hindu, like myself. Second, are you basing a lot of your knowledge/points on a class and your visits to a Buddhist monastery? If you haven't noticed, Buddhism has a few sects of it's own and some of them are just as structured as Christian monastic orders. Therefore, reputation does matter for them. Their credibility is reduced otherwise, and it happens in every religion. That, I believe is the point Zoony is trying to make, that they do care about what their peers think, just like in any religion for that matter. It's a political notion, looking good in public for others, but it's existed throughout history. You do hear of Hindu ascetics who do go off on their own w/o any contact with humankind, and yes, maybe their only peer is God. Their appearance can be suspect at times, but it doesn't matter. I'm sure there are selfless people like that in other religions as well. And I agree with your earlier posts, it would be nice to finally not care about what others around you believe, as doing so helps one be free from attachment and be selfless.

All that being said, Zoony is not quite as culturally ignorant as you would like to think, having met him in person on a few occasions for games. None of his posts were to any level of bashing another culture, he was just making generalizations that are true for the most part, but obviously not universal for all involved with those cultures.

My major gripe with his posts was that he seems to truly believe that every person who lives in the world bases their actions around other peoples approval. Like you said, the generalization is true but there are cultures where this absolutely does not exist. Everything I got from his posts led me to believe that he has had very little (if none at all) exposure to a culture where selflessness truly exists. He flat out dismissed the possibility of such cultures.

My reference to Buddhism was more towards the Theravada tradition and to a decent extent, the Mahayana tradition as well (especially Korean Mahayana Buddhism). I have never been to a Christian monastic order (would love to attend at sometime). Almost every other weekend, I make it a point to go to the Wat Thai temple in Maryland. It's a wonderful place with wonderful people. BTW, not all of my knowledge is based on classes. On my own time, I attend teachings at different monasteries like Chinmaya Mission. Two summers ago, I spent a month and a half traveling to various Buddhist and Hindu places in India, Bali, Korea and Japan. I do this out of my own interest. I'm not a religious person, but I enjoy South Asian and East Asian philosophy.

I haven't met him in person, I'm sure he's a great guy. I really don't mean for any of this to be personal but one of my biggest pet peeves is how misunderstood South and East Asian cultures are in this country.

I haven't met him in person, I'm sure he's a great guy. I really don't mean for any of this to be personal but one of my biggest pet peeves is how misunderstood South and East Asian cultures are in this country.

A 20 year old who took a course and visited a temple and is somehow an expert on asian cultures :ols:

Vishy please stop while you are ahead.

The fact that you bought a mercedes at your age alone, is very telling of how you handle your finances. Please stop. :ols:

A 20 year old who took a course and visited a temple and is somehow an expert on asian cultures :ols:

Vishy please stop while you are ahead.

The fact that you bought a mercedes at your age alone, is very telling of how you handle your finances. Please stop. :ols:

Chip, I grew up up in a Hindu and Buddhist family. My father is Hindu and my mother is a converted Buddhist. I'm no expert, but I'd say I know more than most. Just as I'd expect a Christian or a Muslim to know more about there culture than I do. You won't see me making sweeping generalizations about Christians or Muslims. Just like that I'd expect the same out of others who perhaps are not as aware of South Asian traditions.

I also take great interest in both cultures in my own leisure time as I noted above. Not really sure why dig about the car (big mistake should've never brought that up :doh:). I handle my finances fine btw, better than most.

What's going on in this thr.... oh lawd.

I bought a pair of 7s once. Pretty darn comfortable. I'm 6'4" and slim so it's hard to find jeans I like. I prefer not to go the way of Brett Favre & Wrangler because those jeans are too damn baggy for my tastes.

but usually i'll stick with levis 511 or 510 or somethin.

inb4 you're gay

Chip, I grew up up in a Hindu and Buddhist family. My father is Hindu and my mother is a converted Buddhist. I'm no expert, but I'd say I know more than most. Just as I'd expect a Christian or a Muslim to know more about there culture than I do. You won't see me making sweeping generalizations about Christians or Muslims. Just like that I'd expect the same out of others who perhaps are not as aware of South Asian traditions.

I also take great interest in both cultures in my own leisure time as I noted above. Not really sure why dig about the car (big mistake should've never brought that up :doh:). I handle my finances fine btw, better than most.

let the haters hate. Driving a Mercedes is bad ass. I kind of hate luxury cars now because the sensors that are supposed to monitor components break more often than the components they are watching. That gets old in a hurry as well as the thousand other ways they ramp up maintenance costs. I'm sure it won't be long before I get a Lexus though... I still love the look of the IS.

takes my pedicure footbath at the freaking spa causing me to have to wait to get my damn pedicure, then I don't find them manly in the least..

I used to think that too, especially when our oldest son got one, (I teased him pretty hard about that,), ...that is until he told me that his, (and many of his fellow soldiers), feet get absolutey wrecked in the field.

One of the first things that they do when they return to the states is to get a pedicure.

I venture to say that his jumping out of airplanes more than offsets the "unmanliness" of getting a pedicure. ;)

:secret: Maker's Mark

As a Maker's Mark Ambassodor, I must concur with China's reply. Definitely get your husband some Maker's...it's only a dollar, or two, more than Jack Daniel's and it's a lot better.

To keep it OT, I wear regular ol' Levi's and Lee jeans and only buy them when they're on sale...

Amazing what this thread has turned into.

Let people spend money on things they enjoy.(They earned that money and are free to spend it however, whenever, on whatever they choose)

You might want Baskin Robbins, I might prefer Ben and Jerry's.

You might like Fruit of the Loom, I might prefer Hanes.

This thread has turned into a silly mess of haters and whiners.

'Don't hate me because I don't buy expensive jeans, don't hate me because I do'. Absurd.

Amazing what this thread has turned into.

Let people spend money on things they enjoy.(They earned that money and are free to spend it however, whenever, on whatever they choose)

You might want Baskin Robbins, I might prefer Ben and Jerry's.

You might like Fruit of the Loom, I might prefer Hanes.

This thread has turned into a silly mess of haters and whiners.

'Don't hate me because I don't buy expensive jeans, don't hate me because I do'. Absurd.

Lighten up man, except for a couple people, this thread has been a lot of fun. Much more so than the plethora of political whining that goes on.

As to your point, taste is a lot like free speech in this case. You're free to buy whatever you want with your money (and nowhere did anyone here suggest otherwise) but the rest of us are free to make fun of you.

Archived