Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Designer Jeans

mhd24

Destino,

That is a good point and could be the case. However, as much as men aren't supposed to be pretty...the ones who are get many of the same advantages as women who are pretty. So, we could pretend looks and appearances don't matter or we could be realistic.

Looks do matter but the advantage of being a man is that success, net worth, and confidence will always matter more.

I admire someone who doesn't give a crap what society thinks of him (at least in terms of fashion sense) a lot more than someone who judges others based on social norms. My guess is the latter also has issues of his own where he is concerned with others think of him where as the former doesn't.
I enjoy cars so I bought a Mercedes. Am I trying to impress anyone? Sure why not. I'd be lying to you if I said I didn't buy it as a status symbol.

:ols: :ols: :ols: :ols:

I never said I fell in any category. In the perfect world, I'd love to be someone who doesn't give a **** what others think. Sadly, I'm not that type of a person. We all have faults. :)

pretty much everyone cares what others think about them. Sure, the guy drunk laying in a puddle of his own urine probably doesn't, but everyone else does.

I don't know why we run from it, or try to ascribe some sort of nobility to those who act like they don't. Caring what others think is what makes our (or any) society go round.

pretty much everyone cares what others think about them. Sure, the guy drunk laying in a puddle of his own urine probably doesn't, but everyone else does.

I don't know why we run from it, or try to ascribe some sort of nobility to those who act like they don't. Caring what others think is what makes our (or any) society go round.

Eh, I've met people who genuinely didn't care what others thought of them. Some for all the wrong reasons and some for all the right. I took a Buddhism course where we were asked to go to a Buddhist monastery in this area. The people I met there are some of the most incredible people. They truly don't care what others think and are at complete peace with themselves. Still visit them from time to time, just an awesome place. My mother is the same way. Never cared for what others thought of her and never had any desires. Just thankful for what she he had.

But yes, you're right. Although ideally, who wouldn't want to be free from the perceived feeling of criticism and judgment? I always envy those who are.

Wait, who started that thread, or said in a thread how they still live at their parents and were able to save up money to buy a "sweet ride?"

Her husband sounds like because of the way he grew up he appreciates the little things in life. Doesn't sound cheap to me.

That's actually exactly what it is. Some of his stories from childhood are pretty bad. Got into wrestling to essentially protect himself from domestic abuse. Now he's on the national team and ranked 6th in the nation at his weight. First one in his family to graduate college. Then there was me, essentially born with a silver spoon in her mouth. Total spoiled brat. I'm more accepting of society's standards though, although I will never be cool with designer jeans for dudes. :ols: But, he's honestly dumbfounded by it. He's definitely very different...

Also, he's not cheap. He doesn't look like a scrub when he goes to teach, he wears black or khaki slacks and a polo (all usually from Walmart or Ross). He just has a different outlook on life. Me on the other hand, well I like to push people's buttons on internet message boards in clothing-related threads :D

I read that after I posted my response. Good for him, he reminds me a lot of my mother who grew up the same way. Most selfless person I've ever known, keaastman seems lucky to have a husband like that.
Thanks...I feel that way too. :)

And in complete seriousness, while my husband might, I don't have a problem with people spending their money on whatever they want. I don't really care. Like I said before, I just find the whole man-dude designer jean thing hilarious (but if you're wearing stuff your wife went out and bought you, I understand a lot more).

Right...and looks can help men attain all three of those attributes.

Really? Odd that I meet with potential investors all the time and they tend to be out of shape brainy guys wearing ugly sweaters or suits that clearly have been worn 100 times. The stars and celebs are pretty but the businessmen tend to not be.

Eh, I've met people who genuinely didn't care what others thought of them. Some for all the wrong reasons and some for all the right. I took a Buddhism course where we were asked to go to a Buddhist monastery in this area. The people I met there are some of the most incredible people. They truly don't care what others think and are at complete peace with themselves. Still visit them from time to time, just an awesome place. My mother is the same way. Never cared for what others thought of her and never had any desires. Just thankful for what she he had.

But yes, you're right. Although ideally, who wouldn't want to be free from the perceived feeling of criticism and judgment? I always envy those who are.

Do they were tight tight jeans :ols: or do they were those monk outfits? Is it special ordered? If they are expensive they might be looked at spending girly men :D

(but if you're wearing stuff your wife went out and bought you, I understand a lot more).

Phew...I'm glad you understand my plight. I'd rather stick a fork in my eye than shop...that's where my wife comes in. The good news is that I'm always taken care of. The bad news is I get an ear-full when I wear the same stuff and my "new stuff" hangs with tags.

Really? Odd that I meet with potential investors all the time and they tend to be out of shape brainy guys wearing ugly sweaters or suits that clearly have been worn 100 times. The stars and celebs are pretty but the businessmen tend to not be.

I said looks CAN help a man attain those things. I don't say that every man with any level of success could be on the cover of GQ. Looks are important and, in today's society, can certainly contribute to wealth, success, promotions, etc.

You can get Jack at the grocery store? I'm going to fill up on some Jack on Monday Night in the parking lot. Love that stuff!
The liquor store in right next door. It's a cool concept. But in Cali, you can get whatever alcohol you want at the grocery store. In fact, in grad. school, I bought my liquor at Costco.
Hey is getting the upscale alcohol manly or not???
Um, hello, James Bond, anyone? I get the Jack because he tells me to get whiskey when I'm out and that's pretty much the only whiskey I recognize that people talk about, so I figure it must be good.
Eh, I've met people who genuinely didn't care what others thought of them. Some for all the wrong reasons and some for all the right. I took a Buddhism course where we were asked to go to a Buddhist monastery in this area. The people I met there are some of the most incredible people. They truly don't care what others think and are at complete peace with themselves.
I guess I've never thought about monks, but I've always thought people cared what others thought in one way or another. I care a lot about what people I respect think about me. I care about the stuff I wear. My husband may not care about clothes, but he definitely cares about what his coaches think of his wrestling, or how his work is perceived.

I think he was kidding, but anyway just because your a business man doesn't mean you dont have to look the part! I am in a business that I lend millions, I have to look the part and I do! Its just the way it is, I can hardly give a **** what someone is going to think of me for wearing expensive clothing! I find it amusing because I wear a nice suit, jeans, shirt and drive a nice car and live in a nice home that I am trying to compensate for not being truly happy in my life :ols: I am grateful for all of the gifts in my life and I work very hard for it! The reason this thread got my attention is because I have actually met people that pass judgment all the time (friends of friends, religious and uptight nut jobs that live around me) you hear the whispers in the background, through their kids, but non of them have the balls to ever say that **** to my face! You had a tough back ground growing up or dont have the means to spend money then fine, but dont go bashing other that do... My late father was a Lieutenant Colonel in the Airfoce, grew up with nothing and when he retired he made everything he had from scratch, the man had taste in everything including clothing! Yes a military man of 40 years that knew how to dress, love, spend and look good and he always said it best, if you have nothing good to say about someone, STFU!

I get the Jack because he tells me to get whiskey when I'm out and that's pretty much the only whiskey I recognize that people talk about, so I figure it must be good.

Pick him up a bottle of Pappy VanWinkle Reserve or Wild Turkey Rare Breed, or if he really loves the Jack the Single Barrel bottle. He'll love it.

your mom doesn't wear deodorant then and shaves her head. Got it.

these people care. if nothing else than what other buddhists think about them. They might not care about fashion or what car they drive, but they do care what others think.

your mom doesn't wear deodorant then and shaves her head. Got it.

these people care. if nothing else than what other buddhists think about them. They might not care about fashion or what car they drive, but they do care what others think.

Your first sentence is absolutely retarded (borderline offensive) and I'm not even going to bother responding to it.

Other than that, I find your post rather disturbing. Are you that culturally clueless? Have you ever been to a Buddhist monastery? Ever been to a Buddhist country? I don't think you've ever even talked to a Buddhist. True followers of Buddhism and Jainism are some of the most amazing people you can ever come across. Sad to see that you've never had any exposure to them. Perhaps it's time

*Apologies to the OP, did not want to derail you're thread about designer clothing into Buddhism. :ols:

Your first sentence is absolutely retarded (borderline offensive) and I'm not even going to bother responding to it.

Other than that, I find your post rather disturbing. Are you that culturally clueless? Have you ever been to a Buddhist monastery? Ever been to a Buddhist country? I don't think you've ever even talked to a Buddhist. True followers of Buddhism and Jainism are some of the most amazing people you can ever come across. Sad to see that you've never had any exposure to them. Perhaps it's time

*Apologies to the OP, did not want to derail you're thread about designer clothing into Buddhism. :ols:

Namaste.

Every time I go they have perfectly shaved heads. How can guys care so much about their hair? I mean hair is hair. :ols:

Hair is hair? Try to say that to someone that is losing his hair... (ME)! Never tell a follicley challenged man, that hair is hair! Those are fighting words!

There's no way you can respond to it and maintain your point.

Fact is, if your mom didn't care what anyone thought, she wouldn't wear deodorant. Why would she? And she wouldn't comb her hair. In fact, she would most likely shave her head to save her the time in the morning of pushing it out of her face. That it dovetails niceley with buddhism is coincidence.

And not sure why you're getting insulted. If you can't have a conversation about it without acting like a child, don't post. :)

There's no way you can respond to it and maintain your point.

Fact is, if your mom didn't care what anyone thought, she wouldn't wear deodorant. Why would she? And she wouldn't comb her hair. In fact, she would most likely shave her head to save her the time in the morning of pushing it out of her face. That it dovetails niceley with buddhism is coincidence.

So people can't do actions for themselves only but every action is meant to please others? Maybe she wears deodorant because she does not want to smell her own bad odor? Is everything in your world done to impress others?

In Buddhist, Hindu and Jain, teachings, a major key point is SELFLESS actions without desire for reward (in this case, reward being attention). A person can donate to charity, by doing that he isn't trying to get fame or attention out of it. He is doing it out of his own good will. In the same example, a person can donate to charity with all the wrong intentions. True practitioners follow example 1. This is just one small example on the entire premises (being selfless and not attracting attention) of these three religions (although most Hindu's generally fail big time at following this). If a person desires to be clean and have long hair, he isn't necessarily doing it because he wants others to notice. None of the religions preach that one must completely stop taking care of themselves because tehy might be "trying to impress other people". I'm not even sure how you came up with this ridiculous notion.

Like I said, please don't be so culturally ignorant (I like how you conveniently cropped out the rest of my post). Not every action is meant to please others. Sad to see that in your frame of mind that it does.

EDIT: As much as I'd like to continue this debate, it's completely pointless to have it with someone who doesn't understand these particular cultures. If you don't have a background knowledge or exposure to it, you won't understand it.

Archived