Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Minny also signed this Euro, Shved, something like that. They might have the whitest team of the last 30 years or so. Rubio, Shved, Budinger, Love, Pekovic, B Miller, Ridnour, Barea, and Darko.

Holy crap! That's almost a two deep whitewash! I never thought I'd say this ever, but that team is whiter than the 80s Celtics.

The Washington Wizards have until July 17 to decide on using the amnesty clause on Andray Blatche, and it looks like they will take their time in making up their mind. The team is still undecided on whether to use the clause on Blatche and are considering a number of different options, according to NBA.com's David Aldridge.

Aldridge reports that Ted Leonsis seems reluctant to pay Blatche $23 million not to play, calling that argument a "big ask." The Wizards have trade options with the Bobcats and Pistons, reports Aldridge, but they are reluctant to take back a contract like Tyrus Thomas or Charlie Villanueva.

Rest of article in link:

http://www.bulletsforever.com/2012/7/11/3152334/andray-blatche-amnesty-update-washington-wizards#comments

According to DA (also in the link), Witt has made it clear that he wants NO parts in coaching Blatche anymore.

Bring on Charlie V., I say. Another expiring deal before the 2014 season. He's got a horrible contract also, but he'd contribute.

Dude, those Etoncs were the bomb when I was a kid. I had those, and thought I was ballin. Course, mom bought them from Woolworths for $15. :ols:

LOL! I feel like Hakeem's shoes never properly caught on because of the brands he represented.

I feel kind of the same way about Hakeem himself. Was anyone a huge Hakeem fan who wasn't a Houston or a Rockets fan? He was hard to relate to. By contrast everybody liked Shaq from the get go.

LOL! I feel like Hakeem's shoes never properly caught on because of the brands he represented.

I feel kind of the same way about Hakeem himself. Was anyone a huge Hakeem fan who wasn't a Houston or a Rockets fan? He was hard to relate to. By contrast everybody liked Shaq from the get go.

My high school basketball team played a game at the Cap Center prior to a Bullets-Magic game in either 1995 or 1996. Both high schools shared the visitor locker room. Meeting Shaq and Penny was supposed to be the highlight of the day, but Shaq was an ass. Never liked him since. Seemed like a phony. Put on this big lovable facade in public, acted like a douche when the cameras weren't around.

My high school basketball team played a game at the Cap Center prior to a Bullets-Magic game in either 1995 or 1996. Both high schools shared the visitor locker room. Meeting Shaq and Penny was supposed to be the highlight of the day, but Shaq was an ass. Never liked him since. Seemed like a phony. Put on this big lovable facade in public, acted like a douche when the cameras weren't around.

That doesn't surprise me considering the stories I read about him around the time he left Orlando for the Lakers. Apparently he was a huge pain in the ass for his teammates and had a huge chip on his shoulder. He didn't get along with Penny and it was part of the reason he left for LA. Another reason I read about was that he didn't like the fans in Orlando, and apparently they weren't to keen on him either. Then he gets to LA and everything is going well and he couldn't get along with Kobe so he got run out of town but everyone was on Shaq's side for that one and Kobe took all of the blame for that because Kobe was not the likeable persona.

---------- Post added July-12th-2012 at 09:49 AM ----------

Been watching a lot of Brad Beal highlights and a couple things jumped out at me from them.

First, he's got a better inside game than I originally expected. He's got a nice little two step finger roll finish move he'll whip out every once in a while and he's got a nice dribble spin move that he has used to get to the rim. He's got a decent runner and a decent right hand hook that he used to score in the SEC tournament games. So he does have some moves. I think he should be a more productive inside scorer than most of us originally thought.

Mainly though, the thing that really stands out is him coming off screens and spotting up at the three point line. His footwork is just so good and so easy. It looks natural and quick for him just about every single time. When he gets to set his feet, he's going to nail that shot. This is where he's going to get a lot of his points early in his career.

Judging by how good his mechanics and fundamentals are, I'd say Beal is that type of player who takes to coaching really well. He's that rare type that can do something the same way almost every single time. I'm always impressed by people like that because it's something I've never been able to do.

---------- Post added July-12th-2012 at 10:13 AM ----------

Anyone else see this before?

Some of the dunks Derrick Rose throws down in it are just amazing. I've never really seen that kind of body control paired with power on a point guard. He's got such a good feel for the ball, he was making those highlight dunks look like the easiest thing in the world at 18. Wow.

John's portion is equally amazing. He moves and looks like LeBron James playing PG. John could very well be one of the pound for pound best shotblockers in the NBA.

These two are the transcendent PG talents of the league. Not even Westbrook is as much of a freak as they are.

Hollis Thompson signed a 3-year deal with OKC. :(

Was he drafted or signed as a free agent. Apparently this reporter thinks he has the best shot coming out of the '12 class. I thought Beal was supposed to have the best shot?

ESPN is reporting that the Nets ended their pursuit of Dwight Howard.

Hallelujah. That would have sucked if that deal had come off.

The only way this can get better is if Dwight stays in purgatory in Orlando or gets shipped off to a Western Conference middling team like the Rockets.

I would love if he went to the Rockets, but all indications are the Lakers are the front runners and I would swear off the NBA for good if he goes there.

Minny also signed this Euro, Shved, something like that. They might have the whitest team of the last 30 years or so. Rubio, Shved, Budinger, Love, Pekovic, B Miller, Ridnour, Barea, and Darko.

The 80s Celtics would be in the running: Bird, McHale, Ainge, Jerry Sichting, Greg Kite, Bill Walton, Chris Ford, Rick Robey, Dave Cowens (at the end of his career), Rick Carlisle and Scott Wedman.

---------- Post added July-12th-2012 at 10:17 AM ----------

[

According to DA (also in the link), Witt has made it clear that he wants NO parts in coaching Blatche anymore.

Bring on Charlie V., I say. Another expiring deal before the 2014 season. He's got a horrible contract also, but he'd contribute.

Yeah, I'd rather pay someone alot of money who comes in in shape and gives an effort instead of a lazy, stupid underacheiver.

---------- Post added July-12th-2012 at 10:20 AM ----------

[

Remember, he change his name also. He was one of the first NBA players from Africa that actually had skills, so Americans were so used to American players, it was hard for them to become fans of his. But I tell you what. To me, he has the best moves inside the paint for a 5, then any other center I've seen and that includes Kareem, Shaq, et al.

Was he drafted or signed as a free agent. Apparently this reporter thinks he has the best shot coming out of the '12 class. I thought Beal was supposed to have the best shot?

Undrafted. That's a pretty major deal he got for an undrafted FA rookie. Guaranteed money too? 2nd rounders don't get guaranteed contracts.

He is a great shooter, but he is not nearly as good at getting his own shot and the other parts of the game. They are both great shooters, I don't really know who is better. But Thompson is a more one-dimensional where Beal is a much more well-rounded basketball player. That being said, I wish the Wiz would have been able to get Thompson. We need all the shooters we can get.

From his DraftExpress profile:

Thompson has become slightly less dimensional every year, taking a lesser proportion of his shots outside the arc in each of his three seasons in college, but still can't be considered anything more than an average shot-creator at best. He lacks the explosive first step and advanced ball-handling moves to get by his man off the dribble, only getting to the free throw line 2.8 times per-40 minutes pace adjusted, which is one of the worst rates amongst players in our Top-100 rankings.

With that said, he seems to play within himself and understands his limitations, turning the ball over on only 13% of his possessions and making 52% of his shots inside the arc, which could bode well for his potential as a role player at the NBA level, where he'd likely be utilized mainly as a floor spacer, spot shooter and opportunistic scorer.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Hollis-Thompson-5823/

But like GACOLB says, I am pretty surprised he was able to get that good of a contract as an undrafted rookie. Although I was stunned he went undrafted in the first place.

If we are in the process of taking back horrible contracts until 2014, Charlie V. would be a good option. A stretch four who can shoot around 35% from downtown would be nice to have off the bench to spell Nene.

No to Tyrus Thomas. He's Javale McGee if McGee sucked.

Pleased that cartier is back, he can be solid backup SF for us. His initial role should be 3rd string or maybe try to get him some time at 2 as well. Chris Singleton needs to show considerable improvment to not lose playing time to him IMO.

Regarding Blatche. I would definitely pull the trigger on Charlie. He can function as a stretch 4 and his contract is up in '14. I think he would have to include incentives for Detroit though. I'd do AB+JC+'13 2nd rounder plus w/e filler they got coming back to us. Maybe if they've given up on austin Daye swap him with Singleton as well.

Pleased that cartier is back, he can be solid backup SF for us. His initial role should be 3rd string or maybe try to get him some time at 2 as well. Chris Singleton needs to show considerable improvment to not lose playing time to him IMO.

Regarding Blatche. I would definitely pull the trigger on Charlie. He can function as a stretch 4 and his contract is up in '14. I think he would have to include incentives for Detroit though. I'd do AB+JC+'13 2nd rounder plus w/e filler they got coming back to us. Maybe if they've given up on austin Daye swap him with Singleton as well.

I want to see how Crawford responds to his eventual role as 6th man. I'd rather amnesty Blatche than include Crawford in a deal just to get rid of Blatche.

Edited by StillUnknown

Has this been posted yet? If not, it'll make you feel pretty excited...

Granted, I am not sure Vesely will be able to get that shot off against NBA quality defense with any regularity, but it looks a lot better than it did last year. Think he just needs a bit more elevation.

Best part of the video is Beal....just wait for it. I'm telling you, this kid is going to be something special.

I want to see how Crawford responds to his eventual role as 6th man. I'd rather amnesty Blatche than include Crawford in a deal just to get rid of Blatche.

Why would we get rid of any decent players for a bad contract? Just amnesty Blatche and call it a day. We have a glut of bigs right now we don't need Charlie V at all.

Edited by Destino

Why would we get rid of any decent players for a bad contract? Just amnesty Blatche and call it a day. We have a glut of bigs right now we don't need Charlie V at all.

I'm with Des. Charlie Villanueva would only take development minutes away from players who can serve us well 2 years from now. I can understand a case being made for Okafor because we want to compete with someone filling Blatche's old role but CV would only be overkill.

I would rather it be as simple as amnestying him, but if management starts to pinch pennies I see trading for Charlie as the best scenario we can come up with. Use him as an emergency big or something, he doesn't necessarily have to get PT.

I agree. I dont want to deal Crawford. The sixth man role suits him perfectly. He's got great chemistry with John, can run point, brings energy, and is the second most offensively creative player on the team after John. He can break guys down with the dribble and play the ISO game while still distributing the ball.

Shooting %s need to come up though. I think the Jamaal Crawford similarity makes him that ideal sixth man creative type and he's worth keeping. Good third guard potential.

I would rather it be as simple as amnestying him, but if management starts to pinch pennies I see trading for Charlie as the best scenario we can come up with. Use him as an emergency big or something, he doesn't necessarily have to get PT.

Giving up Crawford would make that a horrible trade. Maybe throw in next years second... But that's it.

Vesely is a seven footer. Those guys don't tend to elevate a whole lot since the release point is already so high. Its also a shootaround so they aren't going full bore.

His footwork looked solid though when he was catching and shooting on the move. That's where the improvement will come. He has pretty good feet for his size.

One thing I like about Beal from that video is how big he looks. He looks NBA ready to me. He should be able to fight through screens and finish through contact fine as a rookie.

Man if those two work out like I think they will, we're going to be good.

Giving up Crawford would make that a horrible trade. Maybe throw in next years second... But that's it.

err, not sure if you are serious. Crawford is one of the most inefficient chuckers in the league. He doesn't fit well next to wall, and he would probably destroy any chemistry we get going with the 2nd unit. I'd rather he just not play, and if by trading him I can get rid of Blatche, I'm all over it.