Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

EVERYONE knows it was a mistake to give him that extension. You think Ernie doesn't realize this? The amnesty clause is in their back pocket and they have a week to use it. My guess is that they are going to try their hardest to move him before using the amnesty. Whatever happens, Blatche will not be apart of this team going forward. That's the silver-lining in all of this.

*Signing Brook Lopez to a max deal is a mistake. He's a 7 footer who is absolutely allergic to rebounding.

I can't see any way we move him without taking something terrible in return. Why take something bad in return when we can just dump him and be done with it?

Not sure if yall are interested in watching summer league games but if you are The Wizards are gonna be on the NBA Channel on Saturday at 4pm against ATL. Prolly be the first chance most of us get to see Beal in action.

CSN has the ATL game live, Friday at 4pm and a replay at 7pm

Edited by StillUnknown

CSN has the ATL game live, Friday at 4pm and a replay at 7pm

Yeah, I think he just had the day wrong. CSN has three games live, but NBA TV actually has all four games against NBA teams live, while the game against the D-League Select team is tape delayed. The article I link below is wrong in saying that game is live, but the other four are...

http://www.examiner.com/article/wizards-2012-nba-summer-league-tv-schedule

Even since the entire shoe industry started throwing **** against the wall in an attempt to sell a boat load of basketball shoes, they've had some hits and misses. Sometimes the entire shoe is ugly and sometimes it's just the colors of a particular shoes that make it so.

You're not that much older than me, so I don't understand how you can say that shoes were ugly when you were a kid.

From the early 90's:

Karl Malone's:

34656_01_lg.jpg

David Robinson's from 1991:

1991-David-Robinson-Nike-Air-Force-180-Pump.jpg

From the mid 90's:

Shaq's shoe:

shaq%20shoes.jpg

Shawn Kemp's:

shawn+kemps.jpg

One of Pippen's

650491.jpg

Probably Pippen's most famous:

air-more-uptempo-olympics-pippen-f5--560x377.jpg

Iconic Jordan's in 1996 before he went back to the retro 80s look:

shoes_nike_air_jordan_11c.jpg

Allen Iverson's:

reebok-question.jpg

And of course, the seminl line from my second favorite player growing up, Penny Hardaway:

I

penny1.jpg

II

Nike+Air+Penny+II.jpg

III

air-penny-iii-retro-white-royal-01.jpg

Foamposite

Royal-Nike-Air-Foamposite-One-21-Mercer-NYC-Release-1.jpg

You better believe I owned most of those shoes at some point as a kid. I remember having to fight with my Mom because she didn't want to get me those Pippen Air Uptempos she thought they were so ugly, even back then.

---------- Post added July-11th-2012 at 01:31 PM ----------

Even since the entire shoe industry started throwing **** against the wall in an attempt to sell a boat load of basketball shoes, they've had some hits and misses. Sometimes the entire shoe is ugly and sometimes it's just the colors of a particular shoes that make it so.

Well, speaking to the 90s, I think it was just fashion in general that was hideous then.

This was the time when wearing things like this was as awesome as you could get:

umbros.jpg

flastate.jpg

I am fine being entirely alone in this but foamposites are ugly. Really ugly. Though admittedly not the ugliest in that line of ugly you just vomited onto my screen steve. Those Pippen's that say AIR in huge letters are so ugly they're funny. There is nothing funny however about those David Robison's though. Those look like something you'd get with a prescription.

And while we are on the topic. John Wall's Reebok shoe is ugly, especially the gold versions he wore at least once on the court.

john-wall-gold-outside1.jpg

Edited by Destino

The only ugly shoes I see on this page are those Wall's, the Mailman's, Robinson's, the second Pippen's, and maybe the Iverson's and the 1st Penny's. All the other shoes are nice. Especially those Jordan XI and them Kemp's. Reebok should re-release them.

Those Jordan's are like classic. Nike to release then every three years and there would be mall riots on the release date.

I wonder why CP3 gets exactly no marketing behind his shoes. I've never seen a pair in a store or an advertisement for them.

Jordan_2012_Playoff_Shoes_GROUP__10363.jpg

Jordan CP3.V (left), Fly Wade 2 EV (middle), and Melo M8 (right)

Edited by Destino

I am fine being entirely alone in this but foamposites are ugly. Really ugly. Though admittedly not the ugliest in that line of ugly you just vomited onto my screen steve. Those Pippen's that say AIR in huge letters are so ugly they're funny. There is nothing funny however about those David Robison's though. Those look like something you'd get with a prescription.

LOL! "David Robinson's shoes worked wonders for my clubfoot!"

And while we are on the topic. John Wall's Reebok shoe is ugly, especially the gold versions he wore at least once on the court.

http://blogimages.thescore.com/tbj/files/2010/10/john-wall-gold-outside1.jpg

Oh Good God! He signed off on those? 15 years from now, some unfortunate kid that owned those is going to dig up that picture and say, "Yeah they're ugly as sin now, but these were awesome when I was a kid!"

mmmm... nope.

Semi-serious: does anyone else think the fact that John's shoe deal is with Reebok has hampered his name recognition league wide and is hurting his ability to quickly ascend to stardom?

Those Jordan's are like classic. Nike to release then every three years and there would be mall riots on the release date.

I wonder why CP3 gets exactly no marketing behind his shoes. I've never seen a pair in a store or an advertisement for them.

http://stk.dimemag.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/Jordan_2012_Playoff_Shoes_GROUP__10363.jpg

Jordan CP3.V (left), Fly Wade 2 EV (middle), and Melo M8 (right)

They just re-released those Jordan's, I was talking about them Kemp's....

Semi-serious: does anyone else think the fact that John's shoe deal is with Reebok has hampered his name recognition league wide and is hurting his ability to quickly ascend to stardom?

As sure as my screen name is MLSKINS. I was so blown when he singed with Reebok. Just look at the top players in the league, most of them are with Jordan/Nike and Adidas.

Back in the 80's and 90's, there were more than just three or four brands in the basketball shoe market. Anyone else remember Spalding being a player in the market?

I didn't wear them, but anyone else remember these Hakeem's?

06.jpg

spalding-hakeem.jpg

Of course, neither are as awesome as these etonic's he wore as a young player back in the 80's:

tumblr_l0u6u9uV4h1qa47iwo1_500.jpg

---------- Post added July-11th-2012 at 02:01 PM ----------

They just re-released those Jordan's, I was talking about them Kemp's....
I owned a pair of those when I was a kid. I think that was around the time the Sonics were in the finals. Shawn Kemp was so awesome back then.
As sure as my screen name is MLSKINS. I was so blown when he singed with Reebok. Just look at the top players in the league, most of them are with Jordan/Nike and Adidas.

I get the sense John isn't as flamboyant as Russell Westbrook and Durant, more of a jock, but John is actually pretty cool. I'm surprised he signed with Reebok too. I get the feeling he's the type that wants to build something of his own. Or maybe he grew up idolizing Iverson.

Back in the 80's and 90's, there were more than just three or four brands in the basketball shoe market. Anyone else remember Spalding being a player in the market?

I didn't wear them, but anyone else remember these Hakeem's?

http://www.dreamcollectibles.com/imgs/items/06.jpg

http://only-sneakers.ru/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/spalding-hakeem.jpg

Of course, neither are as awesome as these etonic's he wore as a young player back in the 80's:

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l0u6u9uV4h1qa47iwo1_500.jpg

---------- Post added July-11th-2012 at 02:01 PM ----------

I owned a pair of those when I was a kid. I think that was around the time the Sonics were in the finals. Shawn Kemp was so awesome back then.

I get the sense John isn't as flamboyant as Russell Westbrook and Durant, more of a jock, but John is actually pretty cool. I'm surprised he signed with Reebok too. I get the feeling he's the type that wants to build something of his own. Or maybe he grew up idolizing Iverson.

I know this is a Wizards thread, but I have to bring this up...

When Durant was getting drafted, he was offered an $70 Million contract ($12 million guaranteed) from Addidas. He declined that and took the $60 Million contract from Nike ($10 million guaranteed) . Reason being, he said he has been playing in Nike's since the eight grade and he didn't want to switch up.

That right there is when I knew KD was a different type of athlete.

When Durant was getting drafted, he was offered an $70 Million contract ($12 million guaranteed) from Addidas. He declined that and took the $60 Million contract from Nike ($10 million guaranteed) . Reason being, he said he has been playing in Nike's since the eight grade and he didn't want to switch up.

I believe that's why Wall signed with Reebok. I remember him saying in an interview that they were right with him since the beginning and he was repaying their loyalty.

Yeah, I think he just had the day wrong. CSN has three games live, but NBA TV actually has all four games against NBA teams live, while the game against the D-League Select team is tape delayed. The article I link below is wrong in saying that game is live, but the other four are...

http://www.examiner.com/article/wizards-2012-nba-summer-league-tv-schedule

What time will they show the D-League game?

Hollis Thompson signed a 3-year deal with OKC. :(

http://www.slamonline.com/online/nba/2012/07/hollis-thompson-signs-three-year-contract-with-thunder/

Former Georgetown swingman Hollis Thompson has agreed to a three-year contract with the Oklahoma City Thunder. The deal is partially guaranteed with team option for the second and third years. Thompson will not play in the NBA Summer League in Las Vegas while still rehabbing a groin injury that was the primary reason he went undrafted last month’s Draft.

Arguably the top shooter in the ’12 class, Thompson brings the Thunder another lanky player who is able to stretch the defense. While watching him train at Impact Basketball in Las Vegas, we saw him shoot 44-50 during one stretch from the NBA three-point line and routinely 80 percent from beyond the line. Shooting over 43 percent from deep in each of his three years at Georgetown, he’ll provide a viable shooting threat to an Oklahoma City team that ranked 11th in the NBA last season in team three-point percentage.

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH

Money doesn't mean the same as it does to you and I for a lot of these athletes. They know they can make millions and that this isn't their only opportunity to earn deals like that.

That said, you can tell that KD is a genuinely good dude and that he hasn't changed much despite his fame. You can tell basketball is the most important thing to him.

---------- Post added July-11th-2012 at 05:59 PM ----------

Apparently I wasn't the only one wearing those ugly Grant Hill Fila's back in the day.

tumblr_lwjnjq6l4X1qcabyio1_500.jpg

---------- Post added July-11th-2012 at 06:19 PM ----------

ESPN is reporting that the Nets ended their pursuit of Dwight Howard.

Hallelujah. That would have sucked if that deal had come off.

The only way this can get better is if Dwight stays in purgatory in Orlando or gets shipped off to a Western Conference middling team like the Rockets.

What is the tech Reebok brings to the table. Nike has air and lunarlon, which if you think is merely branding I invite you to try. Not a fan of air max but flight in the front of the shoe is great and lunarlon in the Wade Jordan's and their running shoes is comfortable as hell. Theyve also got carbon fiber heel cups, fly wire, and crazy ****. Adidas has essentially the lightest and most breathable shoe in the game and a lot of guys love them.

Rebook has zigzag.

Alright so all the people who were whining about getting Okafor and Ariza instead of Nicolas Batum, it looks like the Wolves are going to end up giving up two first round picks for Batum.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/8157984/source-portland-trail-blazers-minnesota-timberwolves-discussing-nicolas-batum-deal

Would you have been fine if Ernie had given up two first rounders for Batum plus his 45 million dollar salary?