Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

I wouldn't mind trading for Harden with the #3. Teams always stand pat, hope their young players improve, etc. It never seems to happen. Someone upthread said "what would OKC do?". Did anyone project that Westbrook was going to be the monster he's developed into? When he came out of UCLA people were saying "why is he coming out, he's not that good!". I certainly don't remember Harden being highly touted either. So basically OKC got lucky with Harden and Westbrook, no? Did anyone think Rondo was as good as he turned out to be?

Draft's are always a roll of the dice...

It wasn't luck. It was good scouting and development. Harden is about the same player he was in college. Some places had Curry or Tyreke over him that year, others had Harden tops for SGs.

FWIW, pretty much everyone knew Westbrook had the potential to become what he is today. It was clear when he was a freshman that he was a freak of nature point guard. He was held up behind Darren Collison at UCLA, but people understood his ridiculous upside, just like they did with John Wall and Derrick Rose. Now whether or not he was ever going to realize that upside was the issue. His feel for the game was underdeveloped at the time.

Young players never seem to develop for us because we do a ****ty job developing them, not because there is some flaw in the method of building primarily through the draft like OKC/San Antonio. That's not the case for most of the best organizations in the league.

---------- Post added June-28th-2012 at 03:37 PM ----------

With T-Rob, we'd be close to the Jazz of the East

Better PG with worse bigs. If the Jazz had John Wall, they'd actually be pretty incredible. Devin Harris is just not any good.

Really, we've only got one big right now we're set in stone with, and one more that we'd really like to hold onto and develop. Okafor is completely expendable and shouldn't factor into any draft decision. Booker is a nice rotation player that we could deal at any moment and not lost a wink of sleep.

I like a Nene + Seraphin front court moving forward but we've got serious rebounding deficiencies with them. TRob could come here and scoop up like 12 RPG early in his career. Especially with Nene on the floor beside him.

---------- Post added June-28th-2012 at 03:40 PM ----------

LOL at "What Would OKC do?" Seriously? The Okla...er Seattle Supersonics were garbage since Gary Payton left, so lets not crown them a model franchise. Did they do it right? Yes, but for the first time. Lets not kid ourselves in saying they've been a consistant winning franchise for 20 years. If that's the case, let's start calling the Clippers a model franchise. Quick, everyone get an overated dunker to play power forward, pillage the Hornets for a PG and whallah, instant winner.

You've got to pay attention to what they're doing now. They built from the ground up and now they're already a powerhouse potential decade long dynasty four years after they started.

Yes, they are absolutely the model of how to build a sustainable contender from scratch.

What you're talking about is classic devil you don't know mentality. You're banking on Harden's potential that he grows into something much better than he is today. But since he's a below average athlete and flawed player, what makes you so sure he's going to improve by leaps and bounds?

At the same time, we don't even know if Beal can make it in the NBA. At least with Harden you have a capable player.

---------- Post added June-28th-2012 at 03:43 PM ----------

Really? A trade for James Harden would be your reason for not rooting for this team? Wow, out of the trillion reasons that I can think of to not root for the team I'm amazed that this is the one that would do it for you.

LOL, I have 34 years of reasons that would make me not want to root for this team, but I still do.

---------- Post added June-28th-2012 at 03:50 PM ----------

You've got to pay attention to what they're doing now. They built from the ground up and now they're already a powerhouse potential decade long dynasty four years after they started.

Yes, they are absolutely the model of how to build a sustainable contender from scratch.

Model franchise to me is one that does it over long sustained periods and the Seattle Thunder haven't. The Lakers (as much as I hate to say it) seem to reload every 4 years or so and are never in cap hell like the Wizards are. Take the Patriots for intance. Everyone says they are a model franchise. Well, Brady and Belichick have really helped that along, because I can remember watching Patriot games in Foxboro on TV with a half empty stadium as early as the mid 90s, even when Drew Bledsoe was there. If you want to look at a model franchise in the NFL, pick the Steelers. Their worst (rebuilding) seasons are like 7-9. In the NBA, I'd look at the Lakers or the Spurs as model franchises.

One thing I like about TRob is that he's still such a raw piece of clay developing his feel for the game and he's already so good. His upside is very high.

I also like his face up game and ball handling. Pair him with Nene and you can really space out the defense. Pair him with Seraphin and you've got the makings of a nice inside out scoring offense. He's a natural in space, I think he must have been a guard at some point.

But he also is very powerful in his lower half and does a good job taking up space and controlling deep post position. He himself will become an effective low post offensive player in time.

He'll be a huge weapon in the pick and roll, someone John can rack up a ton of assists with. Truth be told, I like TRob more than I liked DWill last year.

I also think I undersold his defensive potential recently. I think he's got the ability to cover the perimeter to defend those pain in the ass stretch 4s and big perimeter oriented 3s. But he's also very strong throughout his entire build and has a 7'3 wingspan so I think he can be an effective low post defender as well.

Really, when it comes down to it, his position value trumps MKG/Barnes/Beal in value by a long margin. A big that runs as fast as he does and is as strong and explosive as he is = top 3 value in almost any class. A big with all of those qualities plus an energize bunny motor is very special. I think he's the second best player in the class. It's also cool that he's a true blue Wizards fan. Fills need + great upside + athletic big + boundless energy + would love to be here. Gun to my head, I'd pick him if he were there. He's not going to disappoint us.

---------- Post added June-28th-2012 at 03:58 PM ----------

my ideal draft tonight:

Bradley Beal at #3

Quincy Miller at #32

That'd be a heck of a class.

If we stand pat, I'd go TRob at #3 & Q. Miller at #32.

If we make a move to get another first, I'd go Beal/MKG (either one is fine to me) at #3 & Sully at that second first.

Another move I'd like to see us make is a low key play for one of the Spurs' shooters that they've stockpiled. Patrick Mills is interesting if available (he might be a UFA, not sure). Another one I liked last year was Davis Bertans. They control his rights. I'd deal for him.

You can't just stock up on draft picks in the NBA and expect to be good. The Thunder/Sonics lucked out on getting a once in a lifetime talent. Just stocking up unproven rookies equals what we saw last year in DC: the biggest group of brain dead idiots to ever step on a court.

Does anyone know if Yao Ming is healthy? Maybe the Wizards could pick him up and ship Nene to the Nets for Deron.

Why would we ship off Nene to add a player we don't need and that will surely look to get out of the city at his earliest convenience? You realize we have Wall right? And Yao can't stay healthy and so he retired, so I really doubt he would come out of retirement to play for the Wizards.

Why would we ship off Nene to add a player we don't need and that will surely look to get out of the city at his earliest convenience? You realize we have Wall right? And Yao can't stay healthy and so he retired, so I really doubt he would come out of retirement to play for the Wizards.

It was a joke dude....

Barnes is the most NBA ready shooter in this draft i think. He could have scored more if UNC was less talented

He could have scored more if he took the ball to the rim more and didn't just settle for his jump shot all the time.

It's almost time. I wish we could get a poll to see who would be the ES Wizards thread pick.

Just as a refresher to get pumped for the draft:

Those videos are a must watch. I can't watch the MKG video where he steals the inbound pass and throws down that monstrous dunk without getting giddy. Ditto for watching Beal run through those screens and hound the perimeter, and for watching Barnes create all those jumpers and shots in transition.

Also, for **** and giggles, new Anthony Davis video too. Check out the blocks montage. Good God.

---------- Post added June-28th-2012 at 06:42 PM ----------

Just had a awesome convo with Phil. Great ****ing dude. Looking for Buck now.

Oh and Awvee Storey agrees with me that Barnes should be the pick.

Always liked Phil. We're lucky to have him. Keep sending us updates, they're fascinating to a nerd like me.

I think I want to stay away from this thread 30 min leading up to our pick. I have a feeling some twitter tweet thing will be shown, telling us our pick. I'd rather be surprised, or at least told by Andy Katz a min before the pick. Maybe I should just have it on mute or flip to it right when we pick.

I think I want to stay away from this thread 30 min leading up to our pick. I have a feeling some twitter tweet thing will be shown, telling us our pick. I'd rather be surprised, or at least told by Andy Katz a min before the pick. Maybe I should just have it on mute or flip to it right when we pick.

No way to know who the pick is since we won't know what Charlotte will do with Cleveland's offer on the table. I think you are safe being here.

In that Drummond video "weaknesses" segment where the guy is just taking all kinds of bad shots around the rim, no credit seems to be given to the fact he's utterly mauling all of those dudes when he backs them down. He gave one guy a bump that sent him off court. The kid is an absolute freak. How can he not go second overall?