Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Even if he doesn't make it that far, he's poised to fall deep into the first. I would love for us to buy a pick to get him. What have we got to lose?

we are going to trade up from our 2nd round pick....we'll package one of our main 5 bigs (probably Booker unfortunately) Maybe Sullinger will be the pick.

I'd rather roll the dice on Austin Rivers in the mid 1st round if we can get back up that far, but I wouldn't mind Sullinger at the end of the 1st or the current 2nd rounder.

you are Wayyyyy overselling this guy. He hasn't played a game in the NBA and you are saying he is a rich man's KG????? KG is a future hall of famer and one of the best PFs of all time.

Anthony Davis was a great shot blocker in college and he could very well be good in the NBA...but he doesn't have a got shot (most of his points were off putbacks and dunks). He will likely be a 10-10 guy from day one and might develop an offensive game, but it isn't there yet. I think he is going to get pushed around in the paint and will be a bust if he doesn't put some serious muscle weight on.

KG the prospect/rookie, not KG the MVP. Davis is better and farther ahead of KG at a similar point in each of their development.

You are vastly underestimating Davis's potential and his impact. There is a reason he's considered the best prospect in this class by a country mile.

we are going to trade up from our 2nd round pick....we'll package one of our main 5 bigs (probably Booker unfortunately) Maybe Sullinger will be the pick.

I'd rather roll the dice on Austin Rivers in the mid 1st round if we can get back up that far, but I wouldn't mind Sullinger at the end of the 1st or the current 2nd rounder.

I like Rivers's pedigree and his skills. He's a smart player who has been around the pro game his entire life. That's why it really bothers me how selfish a player he is and how many bad shots he takes.

He must know the shots he's taking are bad basketball. He just doesn't care. I don't really like adding that kind of player into the locker room. We're just now getting past playing selfish ball as a team.

Also, I don't really like Rivers's production this year. His 16.8 PER is really low for a pure offensive player. He just didn't do much this season. Other freshman from the past two years like MKG, Beal, Lamb, Sully, and Barnes had a big impact as freshman and were putting up PERs over 22.

Curse- You are far more knowledgable than I about b-ball but I just feel like MKG is the future "best player in the NBA." He's got that kind of aura and be backs it up with grit. Anyone else goes to Cleveland and I can live with it. Not Kidd-Gilchrist. They will torture us again with him.

School me up. Am I that far off?

I just really, really, really hate MKG's shot. LIke really hate it.

KG the prospect/rookie, not KG the MVP. Davis is better and farther ahead of KG at a similar point in each of their development.

You are vastly underestimating Davis's potential and his impact. There is a reason he's considered the best prospect in this class by a country mile.

fair enough on the prospect/rookie. I disagree; but an argument can be made. The reason he is going #1 is he is big (so was Kwame and Oden) he is athletic and there aren't any other #1 overall pick quality players in this draft. If this was the Blake Griffin draft I think Davis would be going 2nd.

I like Rivers's pedigree and his skills. He's a smart player who has been around the pro game his entire life. That's why it really bothers me how selfish a player he is and how many bad shots he takes.

He must know the shots he's taking are bad basketball. He just doesn't care. I don't really like adding that kind of player into the locker room. We're just now getting past playing selfish ball as a team.

Also, I don't really like Rivers's production this year. His 16.8 PER is really low for a pure offensive player. He just didn't do much this season. Other freshman from the past two years like MKG, Beal, Lamb, Sully, and Barnes had a big impact as freshman and were putting up PERs over 22.

He's definitely a dick, but I think a leader like MKG or John Wall could keep him in check...not to mention that's what the coaches get paid to do. I do agree that he has been a selfish player so far in his career though.

I really don't like PER to compare players....especially at different positions. Though Beal is a guard....Florida had him playing the three practically the whole year; same goes for Lamb. Sullinger was 4/5 and Barnes was at the 3....naturally all of those guys are going to be getting more rebounds than a pure outside shooting 2.....rebounds boost your PER. I'm judging by the games I watched. Rivers had a very good year as a freshman at a major program. He was the best player on a team that is year in and year out a top 10 team.....I think that is impressive.

I'm not too hard pressed on drafting the guy...I just think there is lots of Boom potential if we are able to trade up to somewhere around 15 to get him (if he is there)

---------- Post added June-27th-2012 at 06:13 PM ----------

Fair enough and I know we desperately need perimeter shooters. I just feel like we'll regret passing up on him. :)

agree....I'm advocating Drafting Beal...but part of me wants to forgo our needed perimeter shooter and go for the guy with the killer instinct (MKG) I think we will be sorry if we don't take him as well.

---------- Post added June-27th-2012 at 06:14 PM ----------

I'm aware, which is why we'll be good enough to miss out on the great prospects, while managing to be not quite good enough for the playoffs. Otherwise known as basketball purgatory.

or being a Houston Rocket

Let's do it. You for real?

---------- Post added June-27th-2012 at 01:10 PM ----------

Actually, let me check with WALL-LE here first since I kinda promised him. But if he can't, then we'll see what's up

Aww man I can't go it was suppose too be a joke but I finally had too do some work at work lol.

I thought you hated me at one moment but I see that we just disagree on some issues thanks for the heads invite though.

you are Wayyyyy overselling this guy. He hasn't played a game in the NBA and you are saying he is a rich man's KG????? KG is a future hall of famer and one of the best PFs of all time.

When you compare prospects to pros, you are comparing them at the same age. KG at 18 was not KG today. He was a tall super-athletic kid who no one had really even seen play.

For the whole trading up argument, I think it is safe to assume Booker should yield at least something in the 18th pick area simply by himself, if we couple in the 32nd and maybe Crawford we can expect....15-12 range...at least I would think that. If CHA doesn't trade their pick and we take Beal, I'd look for he best SF available at that range. We can buy a 2nd rounder later if we really want someone in the latter portion of the draft later. Most places have Ross going to the suns at 13, if we were to acquire the 12th I would pounce on the opportunity to run with Wall-Beal-Ross-Nene-Seraphin. If we can't acquire ross, I would go for either T. Jones or PJ III as a stretch 4 for us. Although I am just as happy sitting at 32 and acquiring Crowder. Possibly getting the 17th pick with booker and taking Q. Miller or Moultrie if he falls.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/8104507/florida-gator-bradley-beal-oklahoma-city-thunder-talked-moving-up

Florida's Bradley Beal coveted

Charlotte is considering offers for the No. 2 pick, notably from Cleveland at No. 4, and if the Bobcats were to pass on Beal for some reason, Washington at No. 3 is ready to scoop him up.

But the desire to nab Beal isn't limited to the top four.

The chances of a playoff team getting Beal are slim, but Finals runner-up Oklahoma City has invested quality time figuring out a way to get up high enough to land Beal.

Beal told ESPN.com Wednesday that Oklahoma City general manager Sam Presti told him during an interview in Chicago that he was interested in trying to move up to draft him. The Thunder's first-round pick isn't until No. 28.

"He told me he was going to decide what they're going to do and considered getting up there," Beal said.

Beal said Denver, which picks at No. 20, also made a similar statement.

To get Beal, the Thunder would undoubtedly have to move James Harden, the NBA's Sixth Man of the Year. League sources said the Thunder wouldn't be able to avoid serious tax issues if they had to pay lucrative contracts to all four of their marquee players in Kevin Durant, Russell Westbrook, Serge Ibaka and Harden. The first two won't be moved. But to trade Harden to a team such as Charlotte would be a risk for the receiving team since there is no guarantee Harden would sign a long-term deal beyond the one year remaining on his contract. Also, the Thunder would be disrupting a team that was three wins away from winning an NBA title.

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH

Anyone remember when I SWORE that Jarvis Hayes would average 15 per for a season at some point in his career? I'm sure I called it my lock of the decade or something. I was so certain. Mboyd used to **** with me about it.

Anyway, I saw some NBA beat reporter on twitter compare Beal to Hayes. Said Barnes is Glen Rice.

fair enough on the prospect/rookie. I disagree; but an argument can be made. The reason he is going #1 is he is big (so was Kwame and Oden) he is athletic and there aren't any other #1 overall pick quality players in this draft. If this was the Blake Griffin draft I think Davis would be going 2nd.

KG did come out of H.S. though, which is probably why he was only taken 6th IIRC.

KG as a rookie probably isn't as good as Davis as a UK Frosh.

Sophomore KG was excellent though. He was playing close to 40 minutes a game and putting up big numbers on a sorry team. I don't think Davis will get anywhere close to that many minutes this season, I doubt he matches KG's sophomore production of 17 & 8 on .499 shooting with 2 BPG and 3 APG. But I could see Davis coming close.

When you get down to it, I think Davis and KG are extremely similar players. But I think Davis is a little better. I think he's got better hands than KG, is a bit more explosive, and is probably ahead of where KG was as a defender at the same point. I'm not sure there has ever been a big as good defensively as Davis was at 18 years old. It's like he was designed to win DPOYs.

If Blake and Davis were in the same draft, I would choose Davis over Blake. Blake as a freshman wasn't as good as Davis as a freshman, he came out as a sophomore.

Blake is a freakishly good rebounder and freakishly explosive athlete for how big and stong he is. He finishes through contact probably better than anyone else in the league not named LeBron. But he's a more flawed player than Davis. Despite his gifts, Blake is a bad defender and an even worse mid to long range shooter. Davis is a truly brilliant defender and he's got the tools to be a terrific shooter. He will be a more complete player than Blake in the end. The only clear cut advantages Blake has over Davis are strength (by a mile), finishing ability, and rebounding. But Davis still gives you close to 90% of Blake's rebounding and finishing ability, and he's so far ahead of Blake as a ball handler, passer, shooter, and defender, that he makes up for the strength differential.

The difference between them defensively is particularly important. When your bigs are bad at defense, your team will be bad at defense and they'll still finish in the lottery without a lot of help, no matter how good those bigs are at scoring and rebounding.

Davis is a rare breed. If he's as good defensively as he projects, then I doubt New Orleans ever finishes with a top 12 pick again with a healthy season from him. Blake put up a crazy ass 22 and 12 as a rookie but he still needed CP3 to come into town to push that team over the top and get them out of the high lottery. I think Davis gets New Orleans close to a playoff birth this season.