Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

I don't think I've seen a draft with as many bull**** rumors. I blame twitter.

I agree. Lots more bull**** being spread this year. Tomorrow can't get here fast enough.

I still want Beal, but I can live with MKG or Barnes. Bottom line, we're going to get somebody who has the potential to be really good, that's enough for me.

I wish we'd just won the damn lottery. Davis is a game changing PF. He and Wall could grow into a juggernaut. With them you'd be solving the two most important positions with transcendent type talent.

I'm the opposite. My heart wants me to pick MKG or Drummond but my head is telling me Barnes or Beal.

Ok, first, I'll admit that I just don't follow stats of college basketball players since there are over 300 division 1 schools. I've been a little apathetic when it comes to college hoops the last 3 or 4 years so I just don't know how good/bad some of these players are.

Now, with that said, can you or someone else tell me why everyone is "Ga-Ga" over a 19 year old one and done who averaged 14 pts and 10 rbs? Fourteen points per game? To me, that's lousy for the #1 overall pick. I like the rebounds at 10 a game, but for a guy who is seen as the "clear cut" talent, he should at least be averaging 20 a game. Please, I want to know.

As far as a 1-2 punch, I think Thomas Robinson can be just as good. He has 3 years under his belt and averaged 17 and 11 his junior year. Quite frankly, I'd be ecstatic with Robinson and pissed if we went Beal or MKG.

You gotta understand that Davis was playing with 5 other potential 1st round picks. There's only so many possessions to go around. They asked Davis to do something and he was a BEAST at doing it. And he has shown a huge upside to do everything else. Ignore the stats.

Now, with that said, can you or someone else tell me why everyone is "Ga-Ga" over a 19 year old one and done who averaged 14 pts and 10 rbs? Fourteen points per game? To me, that's lousy for the #1 overall pick. I like the rebounds at 10 a game, but for a guy who is seen as the "clear cut" talent, he should at least be averaging 20 a game. Please, I want to know.

He absolutely dominated the national championship game without taking a shot.

He projects to be a multiple-time winner of defensive player of the year.

In a league where big men are vanishing at an astonishing rate, any big man with talent is an extremely valuable commodity.

He has a shockingly pretty jumper for a big guy.

His back to the basket game is already better than Dwight Howard's.

He has an extremely high motor which means he should only get better.

If you asked me to project him right now, I would say Marcus Camby on defense and Patrick Ewing on offense. (And before you go nuts, Ewing came into the league with almost no offensive game). The moment he steps onto the court, every NBA team will need to adjust their game plan against the Hornets. In three years, I think the Hornets' offense runs through him. You have to understand that post players take an extremly long time to develop an offensive game. So, saying he doesn't score enough is silly.

What you saw in the Finals is the future of the NBA. Teams with multiple guys who fly to the basket. There are currently about 10 guys in the entire league who can protect the rim. Davis is already better than almost all of them.

Edited by Lombardi's_kid_brother

I can see what you guys are saying since you probably watched alot more of him than I did. It just seems to me that in this case, he just doesn't "look the part" of a #1. And LKB, I was in the DC area when Ewing was playing, so I agree with you about his offensive skills. He was just so much taller and bigger than everyone else and he got alot of baskets in the paint. He had to develop his jump shot in the NBA.

I'm partial to Robinson at this point. I hope Cleveland jumpts up to #2, takes Beal, we take Robinson and the Bobcats can have MKG or Barnes.

If you asked me to project him right now' date=' I would say Marcus Camby on defense and Patrick Ewing on offense. (And before you go nuts, Ewing came into the league with almost no offensive game)..[/quote']

For some reason I was watching some Patrick Ewing/Knicks documentary on MSG Channel. I think it was the 50 Greatest Moments in MSG History". This particular one was about Ewing getting his 20K point or something. They talked to multiple people on there who spoke about how everyone was so focused on Ewing's D at Georgetown, nobody noticed how pretty his mid-range J was and how soft his touch was around the basket. How he came into the league ready offensively. Just sayin' I was like 2 at the time so wtf do I know.

I can see what you guys are saying since you probably watched alot more of him than I did. It just seems to me that in this case, he just doesn't "look the part" of a #1.

Neither did Dwight Howard.

---------- Post added June-27th-2012 at 02:59 PM ----------

For some reason I was watching some Patrick Ewing/Knicks documentary on MSG Channel. I think it was the 50 Greatest Moments in MSG History". This particular one was about Ewing getting his 20K point or something. They talked to multiple people on there who spoke about how everyone was so focused on Ewing's D at Georgetown, nobody noticed how pretty his mid-range J was and how soft his touch was around the basket. How he came into the league ready offensively. Just sayin' I was like 2 at the time so wtf do I know.

I might be doing the same projecting. I don't remember Georgetown ever running their offense through Ewing so maybe it just seemed like he didn't have an offensive game.

The other thing to consider is that there were a fair number of bigs coming into the league with silky offensive games then.

Akeem (I like spelling it that way). Sampson. Daughtery. Sam Perkins. Compared to those guys, Ewing seemed caveman-ish. (I am convinced that he did not have that turnaround when he first came to New York though).

I'm older now, and I'm projecting Davis' entire offensive game from something like six shots I saw him hit in the tourney. I know he scored from both hands in the post, and I know I like his jumper. So...I'm saying he will eventually be very good on offense.

Davis basically projects as a rich man's Kevin Garnett. He's the Kevin Durant of defense--big man's length with a guard's coordination and understanding of how to play the game. Elite length + elite athleticism + elite BBall IQ. Long story short, he is New Orleans's ticket to a championship barring injury. Just like Duncan, he will win at least one. A big as good as him always does.

In more specific terms, Davis is a game changing defender. Marcus Camby sells him short. Camby was something like 3.8 BPG on 3.6 fouls per game as a freshman. Davis was like 4.8 BPG at around 2 fouls per game. Simply put, he's the best shot blocker in at least a generation. Like a Mutombo, Hakeem, Duncan, or Russell only built to play in today's spaced out NBA.

Davis controls a gigantic territory of floor space for a defense with his quickness, skill, and length. He can completely stop you from getting to the rim and when you're in his territory, you have to accept he's going to affect your shot the majority of the time. When you've got one player locking down as much floor space as he does, it completely changes what you can do with your lineups. You can surround him with bad defenders and you'll still be a good defensive team because of him.

He also has the seeds of a complete offensive game: shooting, finishing, ball handling, and passing. He'll be a complete PF and prototype against all other PFs will be compared to in the draft moving forward. The only area he's lacking is bulk and strength, which is likely temporary.

Thanks Steve. I wasn't trying to put the guy down, I honestly didn't know alot about him and it just seemed to me he jumped out in front because of Kentucky winning it all. Maybe one day I'll get back to knowing the prospects better, but I've been so down on the NBA for about 5 years, I just don't really care that much.

Thanks Steve. I wasn't trying to put the guy down, I honestly didn't know alot about him and it just seemed to me he jumped out in front because of Kentucky winning it all. Maybe one day I'll get back to knowing the prospects better, but I've been so down on the NBA for about 5 years, I just don't really care that much.

The NBA is just ridiculously good right now. You should check it out.

http://www.bulletsforever.com/2012/6/27/3121592/nba-draft-2012-harrison-barnes-wizards

Harrison Barnes has emerged as a top draft choice for the Washington Wizards, in large part because the Wizards, at least reportedly, believe that he can slide over and play shooting guard. The Wizards just traded for Trevor Ariza to play small forward, so there's definitely a larger hole at the off-guard position.

The only problem is that Barnes himself didn't seem too keep on playing the position when talking to reporters at the 2012 NBA Draft media day.

"I think I'm a small forward," Barnes said when I asked him what position he saw himself playing. "I think I can come in and play small forward and shooting guard. But shooting guard would be an adjustment."

Specifically, Barnes said that he needs to improve his ability to "create for others," and also noted other adjustments he'll need to make if asked to play shooting guard.

"The ball-handling responsibilities would be more," Barnes said. "Oviously defensively, you have to guard smaller, quicker guys, usually the go-getters on those teams."

Barnes certainly didn't close the book on playing the position, but it seemed to me like he prefers to play the 3. He noted that he "likes isolation basketball," and shooting guards aren't doing that quite as much these days as they were in the past.

The NBA is just ridiculously good right now. You should check it out.

9 teams since 1980 have won the NBA title with 30 franchises. No thanks. When the Kings, Wizards, Clippers, Bucks, Hawks, Nuggets, etc. start competing for titles, maybe I'll come back. Until then, they don't get my viewership. It's funny that alot of people rag on Baseball for the domination by certain teams, but 24 of the 30 teams in Baseball, including the expansion teams, have been in a World Series since my Orioles won it in 1983 and 17 of the 30 have won it. Show me more parity and I'll start watching again.

For all the praise i can give Davis, unless he puts on some weight, he won't survive in the post in the NBA. I think he would be in the bottom quarter of the league in terms of strength for bigmen. At worst they can expect an excellent pick and pop player with elite D. Cousins in the only big man in the league that could emulate Duncan's sort of offense, of course he would have to utilize his brain for that, that's his only set back.

If Drummond does pan out, and he goes to Portland, they probably will be the team to contend with over OKC for some time to come. People really underestimate and forget how great LMA is. It is a shame he is stuck with Felton as his PG.

https://twitter.com/#!/WojYahooNBA

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA

Y! Sources: Houston trades Sam Dalembert and No. 14 draft pick to Milwaukee for 12th pick and three players.

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA

Houston holds the 12th, 16th and 18th picks in Thursday's draft now. They'll keep working to move up.

Edited by BRAVEONAWARPATH

Lol

Michael Lee ‏@MrMichaelLee

Bradley Beal was asked if he was aware of #wizards reputation as league-wide laughingstock last season. "No. I never noticed any of that..."

Michael Lee ‏@MrMichaelLee

Beal continued: "I saw a few times, the big guy, what’s his name? JaVale McGee, did some silly stuff. Other than that, no." #wizards

If we draft Barnes, play him at 3, where he would be most effective. Don't make life harder on a rookie with absurd expectations than it ought to be. Incompetent front office alert.

---------- Post added June-27th-2012 at 04:33 PM ----------

Lol

I would have loved to seen his face in that exchange. If nothing else, we wizards fan did get to enjoy some quality comedy with McGee and Young, lol

At least there is an element of surprise about who we might be drafting. I probably won't open this thread tomorrow because I don't want to read tweets and have the surprise ruined.

The NFL draft every year is a complete bust because the "breaking news" jerks on the TV shows ruin every pick 5 minutes before hand.

Edited by No Excuses

If there was a god we'd get Barnes this year and Shabazz Muhammad next.

Curse- You are far more knowledgable than I about b-ball but I just feel like MKG is the future "best player in the NBA." He's got that kind of aura and be backs it up with grit. Anyone else goes to Cleveland and I can live with it. Not Kidd-Gilchrist. They will torture us again with him.

School me up. Am I that far off?

I'm always teetering on that edge with sports. I've pretty much always been a fan of crap teams. But I always end up coming back because I love the game even more than I love my teams.

Curse- You are far more knowledgable than I about b-ball but I just feel like MKG is the future "best player in the NBA." He's got that kind of aura and be backs it up with grit. Anyone else goes to Cleveland and I can live with it. Not Kidd-Gilchrist. They will torture us again with him.

School me up. Am I that far off?

MKG has the killer instinct and great work ethic you want; but he isn't a good shooter...that is the knock on him.

I'm hoping we take Beal, but I'll be perfectly happy with either MKG or Barnes in that order.

---------- Post added June-27th-2012 at 05:19 PM ----------

Davis basically projects as a rich man's Kevin Garnett. He's the Kevin Durant of defense--big man's length with a guard's coordination and understanding of how to play the game. Elite length + elite athleticism + elite BBall IQ. Long story short, he is New Orleans's ticket to a championship barring injury. Just like Duncan, he will win at least one. A big as good as him always does.

In more specific terms, Davis is a game changing defender. Marcus Camby sells him short. Camby was something like 3.8 BPG on 3.6 fouls per game as a freshman. Davis was like 4.8 BPG at around 2 fouls per game. Simply put, he's the best shot blocker in at least a generation. Like a Mutombo, Hakeem, Duncan, or Russell only built to play in today's spaced out NBA.

Davis controls a gigantic territory of floor space for a defense with his quickness, skill, and length. He can completely stop you from getting to the rim and when you're in his territory, you have to accept he's going to affect your shot the majority of the time. When you've got one player locking down as much floor space as he does, it completely changes what you can do with your lineups. You can surround him with bad defenders and you'll still be a good defensive team because of him.

He also has the seeds of a complete offensive game: shooting, finishing, ball handling, and passing. He'll be a complete PF and prototype against all other PFs will be compared to in the draft moving forward. The only area he's lacking is bulk and strength, which is likely temporary.

you are Wayyyyy overselling this guy. He hasn't played a game in the NBA and you are saying he is a rich man's KG????? KG is a future hall of famer and one of the best PFs of all time.

Anthony Davis was a great shot blocker in college and he could very well be good in the NBA...but he doesn't have a got shot (most of his points were off putbacks and dunks). He will likely be a 10-10 guy from day one and might develop an offensive game, but it isn't there yet. I think he is going to get pushed around in the paint and will be a bust if he doesn't put some serious muscle weight on.