Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

I'd be surprised if Ted doesn't promote from within. It's what he's comfortable with and he's fortunate it paid off with a Cup when he did it with the Capitals so he probably thinks it would work again. (Despite there being no similarities between the Wiz and Caps regarding long term success)

3 minutes ago, Hersh said:

Question for those non-white guys in this thread. Is Danny Ferry someone that is even acceptable as a hire? (I guess anyone can answer if they want)

I dont think Ferry is a racist, and the context of his statement wasn't awful.

I just don't think he is that good of a GM.

Troy Weaver would be the guy I'd want.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I wasn't on Social Media this morning, so I hadn't seen anything yet. When I turned the car on and heard Doc say, "I thought we were hiring a GM", I started to panic... Then the co-host read that Woj bomb.

I am devastated. That's what happens when a mediocre franchise ****foots around. Next time just give the fifth freaking year.

I'm going to throw up when the Nuggets win the 2023 Finals.

• Like 1

I thought Ferry made a racist remark, but I read more about the incident and it appears that he was just reading a scouting report of someone else who made a questionable remark and that they weren't his words or ideas.

Ferry has a mixed record.  What he built in Atlanta was pretty good, but he was pretty bad in Cleveland.  I think I would rather have Weaver too.

Not being able to hire Connelly was a big blow.  That was our ticket out of the Mom and Pop cellar.  Hiring Sheppard is a clear signal that we intend to keep running this team as a Mom and Pop and that we're not going to be legitimately competitive any time soon.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, StillUnknown said:

Ted's "most desireable job" couldnt even pry a man away who said DC was his dream job

I'm wondering if Leonsis is being told things he doesn't want to hear from candidates. Like needing to start over, trading Beal, the realistic expectations for Wall's recovery. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, StillUnknown said:

Ted has put his message out there, reporters about to fall in line

If Ted is trying to peddle that as the message, he needs a new PR person pronto.  He should be saying "I offered everything including my soul, but Tim ultimately wanted to stay and finish what he started in Denver".  

6 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Hiring Sheppard is a clear signal that we intend to keep running this team as a Mom and Pop and that we're not going to be legitimately competitive any time soon.

You and I agree pretty much on everything but on this one we differ.

Tommy is NOT EG.

For one Tommy actually embraces analytics. EG, not so much.

• Like 1

I'll agree w/ the sentiment that I don't think Ferry is a racist, but he's an absolute idiot for repeating what was written in that scouting report.  No preface...nothing.  Just read it verbatim.  That would have for sure lessened the PR hit he took. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

You and I agree pretty much on everything but on this one we differ.

Tommy is NOT EG.

For one Tommy actually embraces analytics. EG, not so much.

I don't trust anyone who has been in this organization for a while to be able to transcend the old culture and establish a great new one.

Firing the old, incompetent GM after sixteen inexcusable years only to then promote his right hand man is the mom and pop way of doing business.  I am pretty sure we need outside blood to remake the entire organizational culture.  We need significant change.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, @SkinsGoldPants said:

I'm wondering if Leonsis is being told things he doesn't want to hear from candidates. Like needing to start over, trading Beal, the realistic expectations for Wall's recovery. 

Dad and I were having this discussion, I believe this is exactly what happened, why he said he wanted 5 years, and Ted was like "No, Wall is coming back, max Beal, and we can get the third star with this pick, back in business".  

Like I've said, I like basketball, and DC has a team which I want to do well, this is where they are putting me now.

35 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I don't trust anyone who has been in this organization for a while to be able to transcend the old culture and establish a great new one.

This is so important and I don't believe Ted gets it.  Tim would've helped fix our reputation, now we are trying to save face with our terrible PR team.  We look second rate, no one that thinks this is okay should be allowed to survive.

• Like 1

Wiz really need to get someone in place ASAP. They have a great trade chip with that Parker team option contract. That should land them an asset or two to help another team clear salary for this season. 

• Like 1

I'm okay with Weaver. OKC still has a pretty solid player personnel operation in place. Not really a big Danny Ferry fan. People talk about that 60 win Hawk team he "built" but to me that was more Bud's coaching. Ferry was a disaster with Cleveland.

Welp..

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2836858-how-to-trade-every-nba-teams-worst-contract#slide30

Sorry, Washington Wizards fans. We tried to solve this puzzle, but we're stumped.

And it's not just us. People who make great livings by brokering NBA deals see John Wall's skyrocketing supermax price (four years, $170.9 million) and eroding skill set, and they can't solve it, either.

"The Wall extension right now is the toughest contract I have seen a team try to move in 20 years," an executive told ESPN's Bobby Marks. "I couldn't look my owner in the eye and tell him there is value with the player even if we didn't have to trade anything of significance."

But the kicker in this quote isn't the words; it's the timing. These words were spoken all the way back in November—before Wall had this past season wiped out by heel surgery and perhaps the next one erased by a ruptured Achilles.

He turns 29 in September, right before the first season on his extension starts. His game is built around athleticism. Nothing with this deal will age well.

Money aside, Wall is too old for rebuilders and too injured to help contenders. Maybe there's a team desperate enough out there to roll the dice on 2010's top pick, but our crystal ball is clueless on the identity of that trade partner or the other pieces involved.

OF COURSE the contract looks awful, seeing as though Wall won't be playing until season after next.  However, watch him come back and average something close to 15/10.  Teams will absolutely be willing to trade for him if he can show he's still an effective player.  There isn't any contract in the league that's untradeable.  I'm really not worried about Wall. 

Is there a worse contract than a super max that hasn't even started yet owned by a player that it is already out for the following season with a torn achilles, which he received after repeated knee injuries?  That's close to a worst case scenario.