Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

17 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

The combine starts today.  It'll be good to get accurate measurements on the wings and bigs and see what our options are.

Did you apply online for the GM position? 

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Seeing as how we have absolutely nothing to show for our five straight drafts from 2013-2017, I honestly couldn't do worse than Ernie.

Thats what im saying. I know its not possible but I would enjoy you being part of the squad. Then atleast i know someone in there has a plan. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Thats what im saying. I know its not possible but I would enjoy you being part of the squad. Then atleast i know someone in there has a plan.  

If the bar is so low that you only have to hit on one draft pick every five years, then any of us could hold down that job.  I would literally just use draftexpress mock drafts to make my choices and then go on fancy vacations to Europe, pretending like I was scouting their leagues.

Now I'm remembering why reporters were saying this was a desirable job after Ernie got fired.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Well, as much as last night stunk, drafting well is a lot more important than picking high.  Transformative talent means nothing if the GM can't build the rest of the roster.  Between landing Zion and a top caliber GM, I believe top GM will be more influential in building a winner long term.

13 minutes ago, bearrock said:

Well, as much as last night stunk, drafting well is a lot more important than picking high.  Transformative talent means nothing if the GM can't build the rest of the roster.  Between landing Zion and a top caliber GM, I believe top GM will be more influential in building a winner long term.

the problem is the wizards are ****ed for a long time

with the wall contract and beal possibly being dealt the team has a very grim future next year and the year after next. This team will not be playoff contending anytime soon. Add that to Buckhantz leaving and there are very few reasons to pay attention to next season. 

I mean, what the hell do they do now? Process like Philadelphia and tank repeatedly for Top 10 picks? 

3 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

with the wall contract and beal possibly being dealt the team has a very grim future next year and the year after next. This team will not be playoff contending anytime soon. Add that to Buckhantz leaving and there are very few reasons to pay attention to next season. 

I mean, what the hell do they do now? Process like Philadelphia and tank repeatedly for Top 10 picks? 

The short term reaction to the draft may fool the NBA into thinking this was a good idea. In reality they’ve made it a lot tougher for bad teams to improve quickly. I get not wanting teams blatantly tanking for multiple years, but sucking for a couple years is a legitimate way to rebuild. Now teams that have a tough time getting a star to come to their franchise and needing to rebuild are potentially punished.

20 minutes ago, Hersh said:

The short term reaction to the draft may fool the NBA into thinking this was a good idea. In reality they’ve made it a lot tougher for bad teams to improve quickly. I get not wanting teams blatantly tanking for multiple years, but sucking for a couple years is a legitimate way to rebuild. Now teams that have a tough time getting a star to come to their franchise and needing to rebuild are potentially punished.

If they keep this current system, teams are going to have focus on hoarding lottery picks

The only way you will convince me the draft lottery is not rigged is if the NBA releases video of the ball drawing (not sure why this isn't done anyway) within minutes of the envelopes.

Think of it like a coin flip. The Top 6 teams collectively had a 75% chance of winning the coin-flips for the picks vs. 25% chance for the remaining lottery teams. Yet even flipping a rigged coin, they only won 1 of the 4 coin flips (Knicks).

Either way, there's no compelling reason for Ernst and Young not to videotape the whole process ala the way state lottery drawings are shown on TV.

• Thanks 1

At the end of the day, we need to stop whining about not getting Zion and falling to #9. Some all time great players were taken at #9(Dirk, T-mac to name a couple). And I mean, look at the teams in the conference finals now. Giannis wasn't a top 10 pick. Neither was Kawhi. Or Klay Thompson. Curry was taken I think 7th or 8th? Even go back a round. Jokic was a SECOND ROUNDER.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

56 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

Yeah, no doubt the rebuilding will be a tough task and a very long task (then again, what did we expect after 15 years of Ernie?).  Landing Zion would have created instant excitement, but without great team building, he wasn't going to make us into a legit contender.  Don't get me wrong, I wanted Zion (who didn't?) and I agree that the next several years will be barren dry, but even landing Zion wouldn't have built a long term championship caliber winner without a great GM (looking at NO after AD, Minny after KAT, etc).   GM search is the one pick that we really need to ace this offseason.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

At the end of the day, we need to stop whining about not getting Zion and falling to #9. Some all time great players were taken at #9(Dirk, T-mac to name a couple). And I mean, look at the teams in the conference finals now. Giannis wasn't a top 10 pick. Neither was Kawhi. Or Klay Thompson. Curry was taken I think 7th or 8th? Even go back a round. Jokic was a SECOND ROUNDER.

Odds were stacked against getting Zion...but, IIRC, one of the tweets last night said that the Wiz had a good shot of getting him after a few of the balls had been picked.  And then wound up 9th.

I agree with your premise that great players have been taken at #9 but...it's the Wizards.  And while Ernie is gone, it just seems like this team is eternally snakebit.  

The problem is this is a thin class.  Pacers and Raptors type guys like DeAndre Hunter and Jarrett Culver who are normally available in the later lottery are going to go 5-7.

Taco Fall has a 10'2.5" standing reach.  Good God.  He can grab the rim flat footed.  I think that might be the tallest standing reach in NBA history.

Bol Bol's standing reach matches Mohammed Bamba's from last year (9'7.5"), which was the tallest in that class.

He's the second most physically gifted player in the class behind Zion, but he's a beanpole who needs to gain like 50 pounds of muscle bulk.

• Like 1

Jaxson Hayes = 6'11 with a 7'4 wingspan.  That is excellent.  219 pounds with just 5% body fat.  This kid is our guy.

Nassir Little measured 6'6 with shoes, which is a little disappointing, but he hit 224 with just 5.9% body fat and had a 7'1 wingspan.

Brandon Clarke's measurements were pretty disappointing.  6'8 height and wingspan and only 207 pounds.  I loved watching him play, but I'm not sure what his NBA position is going to be at that size, and without any range on his jumper.  What you see is what you get with him too because he's 23.  He's done growing and his shot isn't likely to go from nonexistent to good.

Coby White is 6'5 with 6'5 arms.  He's got no defensive versatility.  Guard only prospect.

Culver's standing reach was also only 8'4.5".  I was wrong about him, he can't switch onto NBA 4s.  Doesn't have the size and length to bother them.  Maybe it's for the best that he'll likely be gone before we pick.

Tot put Culver's measurements in context, he's basically the same size as Sato, except with a longer wingspan.  Same height, weight, and reach as when Sato was drafted.

He's a couple inches taller than Beal, but Beal's wingspan and reach are almost as long as his.  That means Culver has a lot of neck height.  That's not particularly useful for basketball.

And in contrast, Troy Brown Jr is the same height and has a similar wingspan, but he was about 10 pounds heavier and he had a fantastic 8'9 standing reach.  That is combo forward territory.

10 hours ago, ixcuincle said:

Process like Philadelphia and tank repeatedly for Top 10 picks? 

After watching that lottery why on earth would anyone think tanking would work going forward?  They are making that harder do to that, just gotta get Connely and do it the old fashion way.

Edited by Renegade7
  • Haha 1

https://www.bulletsforever.com/2019/5/15/18624486/john-wall-washington-wizards-injury-history-achilles

To get a sense for how Wall might perform over the next few years, I researched (with the help of some friends on Twitter) NBA players who dealt with a situation similar to Wall’s — All-Star level performers who missed at least half of their team’s regular season games in two or more consecutive seasons because of injuries or illness — and then returned to full-time action.

Applying average effects to Wall suggests he’s likely to be a below average producer (PPA: 87) when he returns. What might be the final three years of his career projects to rate around 90. That would make him a useful player in the right role, but it would be unwise to plan for him to return at or near All-Star level. As such, the Wizards would be smart to search for a starting-caliber point guard if they hope to compete for a spot in the playoffs over the next four seasons.

• Sad 1

12 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

After watching that lottery why on earth would anyone think tanking would work going forward?  They are making that harder do to that, just gotta get Connely and do it the old fashion way.

it's going to take forever though. wizards fans have put up with enough crap and are up to here patience wise. They don't have a lot of patience left. 

Almost every main contributing player for the Bucks is either a late lottery pick or even drafted in the 2nd round. You can find productive NBA players in every draft range. We've just had a GM who literally bungled every draft or treated it as a means to patching up the roster with vets because he also sucked at signing free agents.

• Like 3