Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/college/columnist/dan-wolken/2019/05/14/nba-draft-lottery-ranking-best-and-worst-fits-zion-williamson/1191171001/

Washington Wizards
Chance to land Williamson: 9 percent.

Basically, the Wizards are in salary cap hell, and the largesse of John Wall’s contract makes him impossible to trade for at least three years. Whoever Washington hires as general manager will have a long, hard road ahead and may even be forced to trade Bradley Beal to get some value for the future. 

If you want to see Williamson in playoff games in the near future, pray he doesn’t end up in D.C.

Excitement scale: 1 (If there was a negative number available, we’d use it)

🤔

@stevemcqueen1 what do you think about t his analysis

1 hour ago, ixcuincle said:

what do you think about t his analysis 

I think it's very dumb.  He used largesse incorrectly and it only got worse from there.  The Wizards are not in cap Hell any more, and John's salary has no bearing on Zion because Zion would be locked into a rookie scale deal for the duration of John's contract.  We don't have to trade Beal at all in the meantime.  Particularly not if we landed a big fish like Zion, as we could probably get Beal to commit to a long term extension under that circumstance.  We also made the playoffs last season, our path back is way easier and quicker than any of the other teams in the top five except maybe Chicago.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Hersh said:

I agree with waiting. No issue there. If it doesn't work out, the Wiz need to find out how much they could get for Beal. I would target the Suns and Lakers if they don't land the top pick. Heck, I'm inquiring with every team. I just hope the Wiz have a GM that at least explores all these possibilities. 

We should explore them, but right now we don't have a clear path forward.

We're probably going to get the sixth pick, and my gut is that Hunter will be the best option for us there.  I also have doubts about us being able to get back a worthwhile haul for Brad.  TBH, I think our best option is going to end up being selling Brad on the new regime and being in DC long term, and then putting an elite defensive team around him.  I don't think we're going to get Zion, nor do I think we'll get any other super obvious blue chip assets to work with in this rebuild.  I think we're going to have to build this thing the hard way.  But it's possible to do that--Milwaukee, Toronto, Indy, Portland, Houston, and Denver all did it to varying degrees of success.  And if we get Tim Connelly, he's recently proven he can do it.

3 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

We're probably going to get the sixth pick, and my gut is that Hunter will be the best option for us there. 

I don't think we're going to get Zion, 

Happy Zion Day Steve.  Happy. Zion. Day.  After 15 years of Grunfeld, the universe will decree that we deserve this.  Let us all commemorate May 14th from now on as Happy Zion Day.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

We should explore them, but right now we don't have a clear path forward.

We're probably going to get the sixth pick, and my gut is that Hunter will be the best option for us there.  I also have doubts about us being able to get back a worthwhile haul for Brad.  TBH, I think our best option is going to end up being selling Brad on the new regime and being in DC long term, and then putting an elite defensive team around him.  I don't think we're going to get Zion, nor do I think we'll get any other super obvious blue chip assets to work with in this rebuild.  I think we're going to have to build this thing the hard way.  But it's possible to do that--Milwaukee, Toronto, Indy, Portland, Houston, and Denver all did it to varying degrees of success.  And if we get Tim Connelly, he's recently proven he can do it.

I don’t disagree with any ideas as it relates to Beal. The problem will be Wall’s contract. It’s so crippling that it’s possible this team has already maxed out what a Wall/Beal team can be. 

1 hour ago, ixcuincle said:

Culver available at 6 !? 

The combine starts tomorrow, and it could change things, but I've consistently seen Culver mocked around 5-8 for a while now.  There is a decent chance he could be available at 6.

Most of what I read seems to have settled on a consensus of:

1 - Zion

2 - Morant

3 - Barrett

4 - Garland

Culver seems to be in the tier below with Hunter, Hayes, Doumbaya, and White.  Very hard to say what order those guys will go in.  But I would be happy with either Hunter or Culver.

I like what I've read about Hayes too, but I've only seen a little of him.  Don't have a great feel for his style or skill set yet.  If the hype is real and he truly can become a Jarrett Allen/Myles Turner type interior presence, then I am super interested.

3 minutes ago, Hersh said:

I don’t disagree with any ideas as it relates to Beal. The problem will be Wall’s contract. It’s so crippling that it’s possible this team has already maxed out what a Wall/Beal team can be.  

Check this out: https://www.spotrac.com/nba/washington-wizards/yearly/cap/roster/

The team has a lot of cap allocations ending this summer, and even more the next as Mahinmi's deal is finally an expiring.  Just 73 million in committed cap for 2020.  The only two RFAs worth resigning at market rates are Sato and Bryant, and Sato's contract probably maxes out at 10 per annum and Bryant's will only be a couple million.  The team will mostly be rebuilt through first round draft picks, so the rookie scale deals added will be small and won't balloon during the time frame of Wall's contract.  We can afford to keep Beal and still put a team around him.

Basically our only incentive to trade Beal will be if we get offered something really good in return for him.  Namely, high draft picks.

• Like 1

If this team wins the lottery and puts Zion on with Beal and Sato they most def can make the playoffs in a weak East. Considering they went so far in 2018-19 before being eliminated from contention it's not inconceivable to think that Zion could help bring the # of wins they need to finish 8th. 

I am actually excited to see how Bryant progresses.

Also came across some articles about Anthony Bennett. He's probably the worst #1 pick of all time but he's been playing well in the D-league and seems to have a reliable three point shot now. He's apparently received some NBA interest and scouts have been to his games. Would be worthwhile offering him a 1 year contract to see if he can make it as a stretch 4.

7 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

If this team wins the lottery and puts Zion on with Beal and Sato they most def can make the playoffs in a weak East. Considering they went so far in 2018-19 before being eliminated from contention it's not inconceivable to think that Zion could help bring the # of wins they need to finish 8th. 

I'm not sure Sato is coming back. Brooks has such an aversion to playing him at the point

TBJr's game is pretty similar, and he'll he cheaper

6 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

I am actually excited to see how Bryant progresses.

Also came across some articles about Anthony Bennett. He's probably the worst #1 pick of all time but he's been playing well in the D-league and seems to have a reliable three point shot now. He's apparently received some NBA interest and scouts have been to his games. Would be worthwhile offering him a 1 year contract to see if he can make it as a stretch 4.

They need to be drilling Bryant on defense all summer long. Would be a shame if his offensive potential is wasted because he cant stay on the floor defensively

19 minutes ago, StillUnknown said:

They need to be drilling Bryant on defense all summer long. Would be a shame if his offensive potential is wasted because he cant stay on the floor defensively 

I do not know how much a center can realistically improve on defense.  I can't think of an instance where one who is as bad on defense as Bryant is got legitimately good.  Bryant has the speed and plays with the effort you need to play good defense.  And coaching could be a major issue.  Plus so many of his teammates are garbage defenders and defense is the most teamwork dependent part of basketball.  But he is a weak link on that end, and he's naturally in a role where him being a weak link makes everyone else worse.  He sees the floor through a straw and great defense heavily relies on instinct.  How much better can your instincts get?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Skin'emAlive said:

Culver is a shooting guard. I dunno how you could run a lineup of Sato/Beal/Culver/Brown. We would be shredded. I would rather just take a shot on Bol Bol. 

He's a wing with the size to switch 1-4.

I've read some pretty unflattering things about Bol that indicate he's a turd.  That plus his foot injury is enough for me to say pass on him.

1 hour ago, Skin'emAlive said:

Every viable big man is a bit of a turd. It’s how they are wired. Like how goalies have the crazy eyes. We need a quality  big man . I don’t need him out there kissing babies. That’s D-12’s only role in this team anyways  

Basically, Bol has a reputation of being an uncoachable rich brat.  Combine that with the leg injury, at his size, and I'd stay away from him.  Better to get versatile defensive studs like Culver and Hunter instead IMO.  They can grow into bigger offensive roles in time.  Hunter has some Kawhi in him, and I can see him being a much more skilled offensive player in three or four years than he is now.

26 minutes ago, JCB said:

Saw one mock that had us taking Reddish. The logic was that his upside is potentially more valuable than Culver's redundancy at SG. 

I can't see any way that Reddish actually ends up being a good NBA player.  He was awful at Duke.  He shouldn't even go in the first round.

• Like 2

He shot below 40% from two and just 35% overall.  Had almost one more turnover than assist per game.  Pulled down only 3.7 rebounds a game.  Had a 13.6 PER and an ORtg of just 97.9.  Those are pathetic numbers for a potential lottery pick.  Those are crappy role player in the NBA numbers.  Even those kinds of players dominate the college level.