Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

3 minutes ago, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

I guess.

The 4th pick in a weak draft and a bunch of young but average players.

I'd make a trade. But they need to take Mahimi and Howard along with giving up some picks. Not a huge deal in the long run. 1 year deals when you barely have anybody else under contract who will play. Basically Brown and Parker I think. Pay Bryant and start the rebuild in earnest. 

Am I in the minority thinking Wall will be an average player at best when back? 

I think there are better deals out there to be had for Beal.

Mahinmi and Howard are expirings.  Giving up value to drop them isn't worth it.  We aren't contending for premium free agents this summer.

I also don't think our rebuild has to take that long if the new GM uses the draft well.  Beal is in his prime and the team will have tons of cap space next summer.  Crush this draft and then figure another lottery season next year to get another young guy.  Should have 20-30 million cap space for 2020-2021.  That should be enough to bring in a couple decent vets.  That leaves you with a 9 man rotation of Wall, Beal, Sato, Brown, Bryant, 2019 pick, 2020 pick, X vet, X vet.  That is good enough to be in the playoff mix.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I think there are better deals out there to be had for Beal.

Mahinmi and Howard are expirings.  Giving up value to drop them isn't worth it.  We aren't contending for premium free agents this summer.

I also don't think our rebuild has to take that long if the new GM uses the draft well.  Beal is in his prime and the team will have tons of cap space next summer.  Crush this draft and then figure another lottery season next year to get another young guy.  Should have 20-30 million cap space for 2020-2021.  That should be enough to bring in a couple decent vets.  That leaves you with a 9 man rotation of Wall, Beal, Sato, Brown, Bryant, 2019 pick, 2020 pick, X vet, X vet.  That is good enough to be in the playoff mix.

That is the mind set of EG. Just good enough to be in the playoff mix.

Great news about the Lakers cause they won’t be the only interested team. Get those offers rolling in and should be an excellent return.

21 minutes ago, Hersh said:

That is the mind set of EG. Just good enough to be in the playoff mix.

Great news about the Lakers cause they won’t be the only interested team. Get those offers rolling in and should be an excellent return. 

That's where you have to start.  Philly is the only team I can think of that went from 20 win territory to 50 in a year, and they did it by gaming the system and sitting their best players to depress their win totals.  Also, their tanking method has been nerfed.

We're also not starting from scratch.  We've got one of the best SGs in the league and he's just now entering his prime.

5 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

That's where you have to start.  Philly is the only team I can think of that went from 20 win territory to 50 in a year, and they did it by gaming the system and sitting their best players to depress their win totals.  Also, their tanking method has been nerfed.

We're also not starting from scratch.  We've got one of the best SGs in the league and he's just now entering his prime.

There are so many uncertainties around trying to build that way starting with relying on Brown, Bryant, a rookie lottery pick and a second year lottery pick to all develop. To say nothing of if Wall is good again or if that entices Beal to stay.

At this point, I’m having a bidding war for Beal. If Beal is traded to a team that has cap space and doesn’t have to send back less in contracts, I let teams know we will take bad contacts with picks attached. This is a 4-5 year rebuild. 

https://www.nba.com/wizards/wizards-2019-nba-draft-mock-roundup-1

For now, we've combed through some of the top mock drafts on the internet to get a first look at who could be available when Washington is on the clock in this year's draft. 

ESPN- Sekou Doumbouya (Forward - France)

CBS Sports - Romeo Langford (Guard - Indiana)

The Ringer - Sekou Doumbouya (Forward - France)

SB Nation - Cameron Reddish (Forward - Duke) 

Bleacher Report - Bol Bol (Center- Oregon)

Sports Illustrated - Jaxson Hayes (Center, Texas) 

The Athletic ($) - Nassir Little (Forward, North Carolina)

Yahoo! Sports - P.J. Washington (Forward, Kentucky)

FOX Sports - Cameron Reddish (Forward, Duke)

The Big Lead - Sekou Doumbouya (Forward - France)

NBC Sports Washington - Rui Hachimura (Forward - Gonzaga)

Sporting News - Jaxson Hayes (Center - Texas)

NBADraft.net - Jaxson Hayes (Center - Texas)

LA Times - Romeo Langford (Guard - Indiana)

21 hours ago, RonArtest15 said:

If the Lakers brass is stupid enough to make an offer like they did for AD, then the Wizards need to take that and run. 

Absolutely.