Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

17 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

But the media said the Wizards job was one of the best in the NBA and that the Raptors GM from DC would willingly leave his position with a Finals team to come to DC 🤣

Only ted claimed it to be one of the best

Masai's wife went to high school in MD, but he doesnt have any other connects to the area

13 minutes ago, Fight4RGIII said:

I think there are 8 players I’d be pretty happy with in this draft and we pick 9th. So Wizards :(

I wanted Culver or Hunter.  They'll be gone.

I don't want Little, Reddish, or White.  I want someone who can play defense, and I want someone who excelled at the college level and was a winner.  I don't want another Oubre-type project.

29 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I wanted Culver or Hunter.  They'll be gone.

I don't want Little, Reddish, or White.  I want someone who can play defense, and I want someone who excelled at the college level and was a winner.  I don't want another Oubre-type project.

I disagree. I'm perfectly fine and would actually prefer a project at 9

I want the player with the highest upside available. we are in a position where we have to swing for it, we don't really have much to gain by drafting a guy who will be moderately productive, but with a limited ceiling. 

4 minutes ago, StillUnknown said:

I disagree. I'm perfectly fine and would actually prefer a project at 9

I want the player with the highest upside available. we are in a position where we have to swing for it, we don't really have much to gain by drafting a guy who will be moderately productive, but with a limited ceiling.  

We have a terrible track record of developing these kids.  TBH, I doubt anyone really has a good track record developing kids like Oubre.  Basketball is basketball.  If a kid is going to dominate the NBA level, he should dominate the lower levels when he's there too.  I understand that it's different for European players, as they have a hard time getting on the floor against older men.  But NCAA and HS and AAU kids are playing other kids.  When Nassir Little can't get on the court for his college team despite being fully grown and a top ten recruit, or when Cam Reddish looks like a crappy role player on his college team, those are red flags that tell me they probably can't play.

Raw guys with low end skill should still at least be able to play a meaningful role for their college team and show you flashes of dominance.

1 minute ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

We have a terrible track record of developing these kids.  TBH, I doubt anyone really has a good track record developing kids like Oubre.  Basketball is basketball.  If a kid is going to dominate the NBA level, he should dominate the lower levels when he's there too.  I understand that it's different for European players, as they have a hard time getting on the floor against older men.  But NCAA and HS and AAU kids are playing other kids.  When Nassir Little can't get on the court for his college team despite being fully grown and a top ten recruit, or when Cam Reddish looks like a crappy role player on his college team, those are red flags that tell me they probably can't play.

Raw guys with low end skill should still at least be able to play a meaningful role for their college team and show you flashes of dominance.

apparently, Phoenix loves him and wants to re-sign him. I actually agree with your larger point about development, I just think that our situation breeds desperation at the moment.  Our cap situation is going to be ugly for a while, gotta imagine we won't be attracting any free agents of not who have better options. This would be a lot easier to speculate if we knew who'd be calling the shots. 

my overall point is that we need talent, and I'm willing to miss wildly if we're shooting for someone with a high ceiling. If we miss, we likely won't be much further off than taking a reliable yet limited player

55 minutes ago, StillUnknown said:

apparently, Phoenix loves him and wants to re-sign him. I actually agree with your larger point about development, I just think that our situation breeds desperation at the moment.  Our cap situation is going to be ugly for a while, gotta imagine we won't be attracting any free agents of not who have better options. This would be a lot easier to speculate if we knew who'd be calling the shots. 

my overall point is that we need talent, and I'm willing to miss wildly if we're shooting for someone with a high ceiling. If we miss, we likely won't be much further off than taking a reliable yet limited player

Phoenix is one of the few teams whose been worse at this than us. 

I think upside is unbelievably hard to measure and predict.  On the one hand, you would look at players like Buddy Hield, Damian Lillard, Montrezl Harrell, Willie Cauley-Stein, CJ McCollum, Caris LeVert, and Malcolm Brogdon don't have very high upside because of how old they were as prospects.  But then they each prove their upside was a lot higher than expected and they turned into good to great NBA players.

And then on the other hand, you would look at guys like Thomas Robinson, Jimmer Fredette, Michael Carter-Williams, Doug McDermott, Adrian Payne, Frank Kaminsky, Kris Dunn and say they have low upside for the exact same reason, and you'd be exactly right.

All of the players I mentioned are 22 and up as rookies.  How do you tell that Caris LeVert has high NBA upside and Denzel Valentine doesn't?  Same draft, just a few picks apart, almost the same age, same conference, same collegiate success, very similar college numbers and role.  That one is so much better as an NBA player than the other makes no sense.

Same way it makes no sense that the "low upside" Kyle Kuzma is basically just as good an NBA player as the super blue chip one and done Brandon ingram.

Sometimes it feels like upside is just a mirage.  Projecting the growth of these kids is the hardest type of scouting in pro-sports.  That's why I'm to the point where I want the kids to show me that they're doing NBA type things really well for their college teams, and I want to see them leading a winning team and showing out in the tourney.  Sure, maybe he'll end up just being a Frank Kaminsky or Doug McDermott.  But maybe he'll be a Kemba Walker or Buddy Hield instead.  That's why I liked Hunter and Culver so much.

19 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

So we've gone from drawing a hard line on years to being absolutely desperate? That's not a good look.

This is the franchise that spent the better part of three decades selling tickets by marketing the opposing team. They been desperate for a long time. 

Ted has turned out to be as bad of an owner than Abe Pollin. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

Masai is literally 

- going to a worse team record wise

- going to said worse team after WINNING A CHAMPIONSHIP SHOULD HIS TEAM WIN MONDAY 

- going to a worse team cap wise with the Wizards in Cap hell 🤣 with Wall a huge question mark and the roster generally devoid of talent other than Beal who may be traded 

Honestly why would anyone want to come here. No wonder the Wizards search is so bad. "The Wizards GM position is a very good position and a lot of people are interested." - Media narrative. That is why the Nuggets GM denied it and the Raptors president is almost certain to deny it? Even if Leonard leaves in the summer the Raptors are still miles better than the Wizards. 

People need to get a reality check. The Wizards will be bottom of the table for many years to come. No one in their right mind would sign up for a massive rebuilding project like this. 

KD was never going to go to DC and Masai would never go to DC either. 

I can't imagine Masai leaving Toronto to come here.  It just doesn't make any sense unless we are able to give him a massive raise.  Seriously doubt we're even capable of doing that, Toronto probably rakes in tons more revenue than we do.  Their fan base is orders of magnitude larger.

I think he's the best personnel guy in the NBA though.  If, by some miracle, we did manage to hire him, then that would be a game changer.  We would experience a rapid turn-around.

Why not go after someone in Milwaukee or Indy's front offices?  They've built good teams in a way we need to replicate.  Milwaukee experienced a stark culture change too, something else we're desperately trying to copy.  We're not going to get a high end GM to make a lateral move for us.  We need to be promoting a legit up and comer whose worked in a really good front office in his previous job.

Does Masai have a protege in Toronto?

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I can't imagine Masai leaving Toronto to come here.  It just doesn't make any sense unless we are able to give him a massive raise.  Seriously doubt we're even capable of doing that, Toronto probably rakes in tons more revenue than we do.  Their fan base is orders of magnitude larger.

I think he's the best personnel guy in the NBA though.  If, by some miracle, we did manage to hire him, then that would be a game changer.  We would experience a rapid turn-around.

Why not go after someone in Milwaukee or Indy's front offices?  They've built good teams in a way we need to replicate.  Milwaukee experienced a stark culture change too, something else we're desperately trying to copy.  We're not going to get a high end GM to make a lateral move for us.  We need to be promoting a legit up and comer whose worked in a really good front office in his previous job.

Does Masai have a protege in Toronto?

Even with Masai, its not a rapid turnaround, this rebuild is going to be long and painful no matter who is at the helm. In some respects, it may take even longer if we do get Masai. its not just the monetary compensation, we'd have to part with draft picks to get him and we don't have any 2nd rounders til 2031 as it is. We are currently in cap hell, so Masai would be taking over a job that would require spending the very little assets we have to acquire him, leaving cupboards even more bare for a rebuild

Grunfeld really did a masterful job in ****ing this organization for the foreseeable future, the level of incompetence is damn near admirable

Edited by StillUnknown

Don’t care about the injury to be honest. His skill set for his size is unprecedented. He might be a 40% shooter from three while leading the league in blocks. 

This team needs to swing for the fences. Better being a 30 win team with a high ceiling than a 30 win team with a bunch of bums+Beal. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

Don’t care about the injury to be honest. His skill set for his size is unprecedented. He might be a 40% shooter from three while leading the league in blocks. 

This team needs to swing for the fences. Better being a 30 win team with a high ceiling than a 30 win team with a bunch of bums+Beal. 

It wouldn't be unprecedented, if he maxes out, he's Porzingis. he's going to be give and take on defense though. he should be a really good rim protector when he's stationary, but he was pretty lazy in team defense concepts. i've seen him get boxed out and pushed around by much smaller players. Gonna really come down to the amount of work he wants to put in

DC sports don't do well with injured bodies, I don't trust wizards medical, or our luck, to think he wouldn't have issues in the future.

Edited by StillUnknown
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, StillUnknown said:

It wouldn't be unprecedented, if he maxes out, he's Porzingis. he's going to be give and take on defense though. he should be a really good rim protector when he's stationary, but he was pretty lazy in team defense concepts. i've seen him get boxed out and pushed around by much smaller players. Gonna really come down to the amount of work he wants to put in

A good coaching staff will do wonders with him. 

So maybe Scott Brooks isn’t the best scenario for him.