Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

That wasn't Aldridge's reasoning. 

Does anyone think trading Beal for draft picks in this draft class is worth it?  If no, then why trade him this summer?

#1. Fair enough

#2. Maybe you're right. Trading him at a later time is an option also. I don't view draft picks only for this year as something reasonable. I'd want multiple players/picks/taking away one of our bad contracts as something to make me listen.

12 minutes ago, @SkinsGoldPants said:

#2. Maybe you're right. Trading him at a later time is an option also. I don't view draft picks only for this year as something reasonable. I'd want multiple players/picks/taking away one of our bad contracts as something to make me listen.

This class is being projected as a two-player class that is pretty weak, along the lines of 2011 and 2013.  Those were weird years where the two best players in the class (Butler/Kawhi & Giannis/Gobert) ended up going outside the lottery.  I could see something similar happening this year.

The Lakers with #4 and their stash of rookie contracts are bandied about as the likely trade partner for Beal.  But I just don't think those assets are good enough to be the central return in a Beal trade.  I'm not that great about projecting growth with NBA prospects, but I don't believe in Hunter or Culver's potential enough to give up the bird in the hand for them.

Honestly, NBA prospects are the hardest to project of any sport and it's not close.  If we had a strong GM with a great record on evaluation and projection in the building, and he signed off on trading Beal for Barrett/Hunter/Culver, I could get behind that kind of move.  But that's the only type of person I'd trust to pull the trigger on a trade.  Otherwise if you trade Beal and get back the typical #4 pick (Wesley Johnson, Tristan Thompson, Dion Waiters, Cody Zeller, Aaron Gordon, Dragan Bender, Josh Jackson) as the central return for him, that's the disaster that will set the franchise back years.  I don't think there is a Kristaps in this year's class.

4 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

This class is being projected as a two-player class that is pretty weak, along the lines of 2011 and 2013.  Those were weird years where the two best players in the class (Butler/Kawhi & Giannis/Gobert) ended up going outside the lottery.  I could see something similar happening this year.

The Lakers with #4 and their stash of rookie contracts are bandied about as the likely trade partner for Beal.  But I just don't think those assets are good enough to be the central return in a Beal trade.  I'm not that great about projecting growth with NBA prospects, but I don't believe in Hunter or Culver's potential enough to give up the bird in the hand for them.

Honestly, NBA prospects are the hardest to project of any sport and it's not close.  If we had a strong GM with a great record on evaluation and projection in the building, and he signed off on trading Beal for Barrett/Hunter/Culver, I could get behind that kind of move.  But that's the only type of person I'd trust to pull the trigger on a trade.  Otherwise if you trade Beal and get back the typical #4 pick (Wesley Johnson, Tristan Thompson, Dion Waiters, Cody Zeller, Aaron Gordon, Dragan Bender, Josh Jackson) as the central return for him, that's the disaster that will set the franchise back years.  I don't think there is a Kristaps in this year's class.

I get it. I really do. That's why for a talent like Beal at his age and potential. I'd want a mix of picks over a few years along with young cheap talent to fill out a roster. If there wasn't tension with Wall which I can almost promise will be an issue when he comes back and expects to be the alpha. I would 100% be all about building around Beal. Issue is, we're stuck with Wall's contract. So, that isn't going to change. I don't care what they say. Too much points towards them not being synced. So, bite the bullet(s) and get as much as you can when the time is right. 

Any new GM that takes this project on is gonna want and need a surplus of draft picks.  The roster must be turned over nearly 100% over the next 3 years and it needs to be done cheaply.

The only question regarding Beal is when...and it would be best not to wait until he demands a trade.  Could depress his value.

14 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

Any new GM that takes this project on is gonna want and need a surplus of draft picks.  The roster must be turned over nearly 100% over the next 3 years and it needs to be done cheaply.

The only question regarding Beal is when...and it would be best not to wait until he demands a trade.  Could depress his value.

I think 2019-2020 for a new GM at this point will be a lot bringing in their own people. Evaluating things that can't be changed before next season. Planning out what things will look like in 3-4 years. Which Ted probably isn't going to like.

26 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

That's going to happen by the end of the next season most likely, because Wall, Beal, and Troy Brown Jr are the only ones under contract for that summer right now.

Trading Beal isn't inevitable.  It should only be done if there is a real advantage to doing so.  There hasn't been any indication that he wants out, and TBH, Beal does not have that kind of weight to be big-timing us and demanding a trade to a contender or else.  It'd be like Mike Conley trying to hold the Grizzlies hostage.  It would just seem ridiculous.

Trading him for a draft pick haul isn't necessarily a bad idea.  I'm just not sure I like the options that are actually on the table.  The Lakers are the most likely partner, but I don't like any of their young players.  They are all replacement level busts.  They've got #4, which if well spent, could be worth it.  But this also feels like a situation where trading Beal for DeAndre Hunter or Jarrett Culver could blow up in our faces and people cite it ten years from now as just another hilariously stupid Wizards move.  And future picks from the Lakers wouldn't be worth much, since a team with LeBron and Beal on it is going to the playoffs.

If the Lakers are the best offer we get, my instinct is to skip this draft class and wait until at least the deadline with Beal.

The Knicks I might deal with.  #3 plus future picks and young assets is appealing because I can maneuver around in this year's draft with that and they're further away from the postseason than other teams, even with Beal.

My goal from a Beal trade would be to get a second early first in this year's class, and at least two more lottery picks for next season.  I don't know how good that draft is going to be, but with the new lottery rules, three tickets gives you good odds to move into the top four.  Especially because we'd bottom out and be absolute ****.

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Trading Beal isn't inevitable.  It should only be done if there is a real advantage to doing so.  There hasn't been any indication that he wants out, and TBH, Beal does not have that kind of weight to be big-timing us and demanding a trade to a contender or else.  It'd be like Mike Conley trying to hold the Grizzlies hostage.  It would just seem ridiculous.

It doesn't have to be a case of big-timing, just a reality of the facts on the ground. After AD, Beal is going to be the most attractive trade piece on the market, especially if AD decides to ride out one more year in NO. I see Beal as loyal, but clearly frustrated. He doesn't strike me as the type that wants to spend his prime years going through a rebuild

that said, I still only trade him if he makes it clear he wants out

19 minutes ago, StillUnknown said:

that said, I still only trade him if he makes it clear he wants out 

The thing is, he can't force a trade to a preferred destination because he doesn't have that elite player weight.  He's as likely to get traded to another rebuilding team as he is a playoff team.  He's honestly probably better off waiting until free agency to try and leave.  At that point he can at least pick from teams with cap space.

I'd go to Beal and say "we're headed for a rebuild, are you going to be on board for this?"  If he says no, then I'd tell him I'd work with him on a trade, but that I'm going to take the best offer in the end.  If he says he's on board and can commit to an extension, then I would promise him he wouldn't be traded.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

Not to change the subject but Ted sure triggered some Cap fans.

He said the Wizards winning a title would be more significant than the Caps winning one.

I thought that was a given just do to the nature/demographics of the area....but boy, he touched a nerve.

for a sport featuring some of the toughest athletes on the planet, the fans are SAWFTTTT

2 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

The thing is, he can't force a trade to a preferred destination because he doesn't have that elite player weight.  He's as likely to get traded to another rebuilding team as he is a playoff team.  He's honestly probably better off waiting until free agency to try and leave.  At that point he can at least pick from teams with cap space.

I'd go to Beal and say "we're headed for a rebuild, are you going to be on board for this?"  If he says no, then I'd tell him I'd work with him on a trade, but that I'm going to take the best offer in the end.  If he says he's on board and can commit to an extension, then I would promise him he wouldn't be traded.

this is where not having a GM really hurts. we really can't even begin to speculate on any moves because we dont have a clue as to what the philosophy will be. I can only imagine how frustrating it must be for Beal.

• Like 1

Seems like they will stumble into making Tommy Shepherd the GM. Considering he's still working on an "interim" tag, it's sadly clear that this team couldn't even execute a proper GM search and get someone excited enough to take this job.

This team is truly the purgatory of the NBA. No one talented or high profile wants to voluntarily sign up to play for this team or work in the front office for this franchise.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, StillUnknown said:

Borderline reckless that they did not have a plan for when Connely turned them down

Plan B might be someone connected to the Warriors or Raptors.  That would certainly explain the delay. 

5 minutes ago, Destino said:

Plan B might be someone connected to the Warriors or Raptors.  That would certainly explain the delay. 

Thats my last hope. The compensation to Toronto and salary demands for Masai make him very unlikely, but he has to have an assistant or two

Edited by StillUnknown

On 5/31/2019 at 4:41 PM, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

Not to change the subject but Ted sure triggered some Cap fans.

He said the Wizards winning a title would be more significant than the Caps winning one.

I thought that was a given just do to the nature/demographics of the area....but boy, he touched a nerve.

Ted is an idiot, we are doomed.

1 hour ago, CRobi21 said:

Might as well give him the job then, wow.

Anybody see this BS...

In the proposed trade deal by Bleacher Report, the Thunder will be sending Steven Adams, Jerami Grant, Terrance Ferguson, the No. 21 pick in the 2019 NBA Draft, and a 2021 first-round pick to the Wizards in exchange for Bradley Beal and Dwight Howard. The deal works on ESPN‘s NBA Trade Machine. If the trade becomes a reality, it will help both teams in filling up the needs to improve on their roster.

https://www.inquisitr.com/5464879/nba-rumors-okc-thunder-could-acquire-bradley-beal-for-adams-grant-ferguson-no-21-pick-2021-1st-rounder/

First of all, is Beal even worth all of this? Secondly, I don't even know if I want that even with the two firsts. I can see a new GM wanting to add picks though since we don't have many at the moment.

I mean its better then trash Laker offers we were seeing. I don't see the point in dealing Beal now though since he's no longer eligible for a super max. His contract is actually quite good for how impactful of a player he is.

Edited by Warhead36

That trade makes far more sense for OKC than it does for us.  Adams is no-skill energy big.  That kind of player is a luxury suited for a team further along in their rebuild process than we would be without Beal.  And that kind of player also starts to decline rapidly in the second half of their 20s, as almost all of their value comes from being more athletic than the other bigs they face.

If we're to trade Beal, it needs to be for young players/picks that are more valuable than those.

• Thanks 1