Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

6 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

So it’s not just 10 mil a year, but also ownership stake in both the Wizards and Caps. 

Ted acting real thirsty LOL

Ted probably didn't show Connley the room where Ernie did dominatrix on him, but that might be 2nd or 3rd stop on the tour now.

• Haha 2

Ujiri isn't going to pick us.  And even if he would, selling out the whole damn team to get him is not how the really good organizations go about their business.

Our choices will end up being between Sheppard, Weaver, and Ferry.

1 hour ago, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

I'm #TeamBol all the way.

It's the move that has the most potential upside.

I've got four moves that I can talk myself into without too many problems:  picking one of either Doumbouya, Bol, or Hayes.  Or trading down and picking Bitadze or Clark.

Big downsides to each of those players though:

Hayes: no skill on offense

Bol: questionable intangibles and body type plus he had a foot injury

Doumbouya: wingspan is meh, questions about his floor vision and instincts, mediocre production in a second rate European league.

Bitadze: not much of an athlete like the others, no three ball, and he's a year older than them.

Clark: No shooting range, only 6'8 with a 6'8 wingspan, he's already 22.

Edited by stevemcqueen1

One of the reasons I'm leaning a bit towards a trade down is because I don't necessarily see a huge difference between option #9 and option #14, and I want to pick up a late first round pick to target Matisse Thybulle.  He was the Pac-12 DPOY and he's one of the best defensive players I've ever seen at the college level.  He's a terrific defender on the ball, but his off ball defense is spectacular.  We need to take a page from the way the Raptors were built and put strong defensive players on the court at every spot.

My thoughts on Ujiri are that he's the best personnel man in the business.  But that trading picks for him, giving him ownership stake, and paying him a massive salary is like the GM equivalent of the Clippers trading for Doc Rivers.  Sure they ended up with a great coach.  But they couldn't win a ring with him and had to hollow out their roster to get him.  The move to acquire him undermined his ability to be successful afterwards.

It also feels a bit like what we did with Michael Jordan.

I can't think of a great team that got their Team President this way.  I don't like us trying to pretend like we're the smartest guys in the room and that we can become a great team by unconventional methods.  We need to follow the paths cut by other teams who went from mediocrity to excellence.

And that's all assuming that Ujiri would pick us over his current situation in Toronto.  I still don't think that's realistic.

Something does seem fishy about this... That offer is too good to refuse, but dude has it made in Toronto right now. I think if the Raptors can cough up 7 Mil a year for him, he'll take it and be happy.

Edit: Apparently he's already making about 6-7 Mil a year... Maybe they meet in the middle at 8.5?

Edited by CrypticVillain

7 hours ago, StillUnknown said:

so whats the most compensation you would be comfortable giving up to get Masai?

Toronto has no reason to let him go cheaply

If you're giving him a piece of ownership. I don't know if you have to give anything to Toronto. It's not a lateral move or even really a promotion. It's moving him from employ to minority owner.

Could be wrong. Don't know what the NBA rules are with that. Seems like the ownership in Monumental Sports piece is a loophole.

12 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I think you're underestimating just how desirable these executive jobs are/overestimating how easy they are to get. 

I think you're overestimating the number of quality guys to go around. If he is one of them, then I do believe there would be a role in another org that he could have moved on to but didn't. Professional sports in incestuous. 2nd, 3rd, 4th chances for guys who don't deserve it because they have relationships with people in other orgs.

I'll say it again. If he's good enough to be respected around the league and smart enough to realize the stink that will be stuck to him from being associated with Ernie for so long. Something is off. 

3 minutes ago, CrypticVillain said:

Something does seem fishy about this... That offer is too good to refuse, but dude has it made in Toronto right now. I think if the Raptors can cough up 7 Mil a year for him, he'll take it and be happy.

Edit: Apparently he's already making about 6-7 Mil a year... Maybe they meet in the middle at 8.5?

I hear you, but that ownership stake might just take it over the top.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, spjunkies said:

I hear you, but that ownership stake might just take it over the top.

Let's hope so... This article from The Athletic isn't getting me excited. More anxious than anything.

The Wizards would, of course, have the issue of compensation. The Raptors made it clear it would take multiple first-rounders to land Ujiri when he semi-flirted with the Knicks a few years back, according to sources familiar with the situation. Would it take that this time? And if compensation is large enough, would the appeal of the job wane? The one thing the Wizards’ job has going for it on the basketball side, other than having Bradley Beal under contract for two more years, is that the team has all of its first-rounders. Technically, by the way, Toronto wouldn’t even need to grant Washington permission to speak with Ujiri, since he has two years remaining on his contract, per sources.

One way the Wizards could grease the wheels on permission would be offering Ujiri what would technically be a promotion. NBA convention is that teams will let coaches interview for jobs that would be elevations from their current ones.

NBC Sports Washington reported last week that the Wizards could offer Ujiri a job that would make him president of the team’s ownership group, Monumental Sports, as well as giving him a small ownership stake in the company. In that hypothetical, he’d oversee not just the Wizards, but also the NHL’s Capitals, G League’s Go-Go, WNBA’s Mystics and more. It is not clear as of publication if Leonsis would want to bring in a president or GM under Ujiri to run the Wizards’ day-to-day basketball operations.

If Ujiri says no to the job, league sources believe Wizards VP of basketball operations Tommy Sheppard, who has been running the team in the interim since former president of basketball ops Ernie Grunfeld got fired 10 weeks ago, would be the favorite to land it, though it’s possible he doesn’t receive a long leash.

• Sad 1

@SkinsGoldPants I agree that the NBA GM rat race is full of nepostism, and jobs are given out via personal connections.  That's how a certified moron like Bryan Colangelo kept getting work.  It's how Pelinka has the job he does.  But that does not mean that Sheppard's job didn't have a lot of appeal even though Ernie was an idiot.  It did.  A VP job in any basketball organization is highly appealing.  It becomes even more so when you've been in the spot for a long time and you've got a bunch of kids attending school in the area and you've got all these side projects in the area, including a teaching gig at the university.  There are a million reasons to stay in that kind of job instead of making a lateral or backwards move that outweigh fear of working with Ernie putting a professional stink on you.

Edited by stevemcqueen1
  • Like 1

I dont whats fishy about it. You gotta spend money to make money. And if you want the best you gotta have something they want. 

I do think its desperate tho. And i dont think he would take it. *Money isnt everything.

*Never been in position to turn down millions and probably wouldnt, personally

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For me, the desperation is the fishiness. lol I feel like this GM Search was botched from the start and they tried to woo Connely and it failed and now they're trying to do the same with Ujiri.

The only way he picks us is if he really wants to be in DC. Speaking from someone who is currently in DC, I don't know if I'm willing to leave Toronto to work here. The fact that his friendship with Obama is one of the selling points proves how weak the team really is.

Another thing I wonder about is how Ted would even know that this is an offer that Ujiri would even consider?  Has he interviewed him?  (Why would the Raptors give permission?).  What if Ujiri just laugh at Ted and says what have you been smoking?

Edited by bearrock

he saw a team that clearly met its ceiling, and wasn't afraid to make the boldest of moves with no assurances that he was going to re-sign. He got rewarded in the best possible way. he is the polar opposite of Grunfeld

also with Klay going down, that might raise the bounty on Beal.

10 minutes ago, StillUnknown said:

he saw a team that clearly met its ceiling, and wasn't afraid to make the boldest of moves with no assurances that he was going to re-sign. He got rewarded in the best possible way. he is the polar opposite of Grunfeld

also with Klay going down, that might raise the bounty on Beal.

I see those points and I admire the gambler's mentality.  And you're right, he's the polar opposite of EG.

But in reading that tweet, it's a guy hitting on 17 at the blackjack table and drawing a 4.  No doubt he's a smart guy who's not afraid to take some risks which is good but...he just ran the table with all those decisions.  And knowing how the Wizards are, I wonder if he could do the same here.  

https://www.tmz.com/2019/06/14/raptors-president-masau-ujiri/ This isn't good though.  Then again, he'd probably get along with Ted.

• Like 1