Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

2 hours ago, RonArtest15 said:

How much sense did Elton Brand make at the time for the 76ers?  MB would be an outside the box hire for sure, but at this point.....

PMB would worry me in that he wouldnt have the clout to tell Ted he's wrong. Ted strikes me as the type that could be meddlesome. I could easily see a situation where Ted is making the calls and PMB is catching the blame 

14 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

He's 35 years old and only has like three years of experience working in scouting/management.  He's on the right track but he's like 10 years away from being ready for a team presidency in the NBA.

I have absolutely no idea whether Pops would be the right guy, but both Morey and Connelly were in there mid thirties when they were hired as GMs.  

47 minutes ago, bearrock said:

I have absolutely no idea whether Pops would be the right guy, but both Morey and Connelly were in there mid thirties when they were hired as GMs.   

Started in management earlier.  Connelly was in management for almost 15 years before he got an Assistant GM job.  Those guys are also wunderkinds, not typical candidates.  And we're not just looking for a GM, we're looking for a president.  There is zero chance that someone like Mensah Bonsu would leapfrog Sheppard for that role.  Nobody would want to work for an organization that would do something like that.

4 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I don't think Brand has done a good job though.  In general, I think front office experience matters for doing the job well.  Specifically, experience as a scout.  But executive experience is big too.  As is experience working in a successful and competitive organization with a good culture.

I'm pretty sure we have to go outside this organization to get a good culture builder.

He pushed all the chips in the middle of the table in acquiring Butler/Harris.  We've NEVER seen EG make a move like that.  Everything he did was cautious. 

I agree with you last sentence about going outside the org to get a good culture builder, but I think it's going to be either Shep or Pops.  The hail mary for Masai isn't going to happen. 

2 hours ago, StillUnknown said:

PMB would worry me in that he wouldnt have the clout to tell Ted he's wrong. Ted strikes me as the type that could be meddlesome. I could easily see a situation where Ted is making the calls and PMB is catching the blame 

With him only being 35/36 years old, I can see that happening as well.  But if Ted can really take a step back and TRUST PMB to do his job, then I'd be willing to give him a fair shot in getting things right with the org. 

25 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Started in management earlier.  Connelly was in management for almost 15 years before he got an Assistant GM job.  Those guys are also wunderkinds, not typical candidates.  And we're not just looking for a GM, we're looking for a president.  There is zero chance that someone like Mensah Bonsu would leapfrog Sheppard for that role.  Nobody would want to work for an organization that would do something like that.

I can also see a Shep/PMB tandem happening.  I just don't think Ted is going to hire someone outside of the organization. 

2 hours ago, RonArtest15 said:

I can also see a Shep/PMB tandem happening.  I just don't think Ted is going to hire someone outside of the organization. 

I could see that happening too.  Something like giving Mensah Bonsu an assistant GM job.  But I still think it's way too early for that kind of position.  I am very, very muc done with giving former players positions in senior management they aren't qualified for by experience.  I want someone whose spent a ton of time as a video coordinator and scout, paying his dues and learning his craft.  And I want someone who has spent a good part of their career working for a legitimately good organization and learning how to lead a team like that first hand.

• Like 2

Aldridge is a great reporter but he'd make a clueless GM.  We do NOT need to be rushing this audit and hiring process at all.  It needs to be thorough and come up with real answers.  And we do NOT need to be rushing into a Beal trade just so we can field some crap offer from the Lakers.

• Thanks 1

I love DA but that man advocated for Ed Tapscott to get the job. I'm ignoring anything he has to say  on the Wizards that isnt direct reporting.

The process has clearly been flawed so far. Thankfully, it can still be savaged if we pick the right guy. No idea who that guy is though, short of breaking the bank on Masai after the finals.

Edited by StillUnknown
  • Like 2

It’s amazing how much the media yearns for teams to help the Lakers.  The Lakers have nothing to trade, their roster is a big steaming pile of over hyped role players that don’t play defense.  None of them, even all of them combined, are worth one Bradly Beal.  Lebron James, the man that’s basically a walking talking automatic playoff bid, couldn’t even drag that band of bums to the post season.  

Hard pass on helping the Lakers by providing them with a young, entering his prime, under rated allstar guard, in exchange for some combination of losers. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

I get what Aldridge is saying though. If they dont move this train along, they'll be left without a chair when the music stops.  The right GM wont be around.  They'll wind up settling out of necessity.  They dont necessarily have the luxury of taking all the time in the world.  Maybe if they moved on from Ernie at the all-star break, but they waited until the end.  So now, they're short on time.  The draft is in less than a month.  Free agency starts July 1. 

Dont really wanna be dragging this out and putting the new guy on the spot with a truncated time to assemble his operation and get prepared for the new league year.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

His reasoning for why we have to trade Beal also doesn't make sense.  We have to trade him now because there are a ton of better players available in free agency and trade than Beal this summer?

No. The reasoning for the pro-trade Beal crowd is that this is a rebuild now and this is a team without a lot of cap space or draft picks to do that.

What happens? Beal plays max minutes most nights. They win enough games to be X out of the 8th seed and that's about it.

Flip side is that he'll be around 28-29 if everything goes perfectly with a new GM and build. Is that old? No. Though by then he might be looking to go somewhere else and compete with a good team. 

****ty situation really. Lose/Lose for everyone.

5 hours ago, justice98 said:

I get what Aldridge is saying though. If they dont move this train along, they'll be left without a chair when the music stops.  The right GM wont be around.  They'll wind up settling out of necessity.  They dont necessarily have the luxury of taking all the time in the world.  Maybe if they moved on from Ernie at the all-star break, but they waited until the end.  So now, they're short on time.  The draft is in less than a month.  Free agency starts July 1. 

Dont really wanna be dragging this out and putting the new guy on the spot with a truncated time to assemble his operation and get prepared for the new league year. 

This hire is bigger than a draft.  Bigger than a FA period  (we wouldn't be players in it anyway).  It's about changing our organization's culture.  Sheppard can run the draft if need be.  We need to focus on figuring out what's wrong with our organization in an audit and then getting the best possible candidate.  We do not need to rush to settle.  This is the single most imporant decision Ted has had to make in his tenure as head of the ownership group.  If we flub this, it's what, another five years of futility at minimum?  We desperately need to get this hire right.

There's not going to be a shortage of executive talent.  There are more than 30 people out there who are good enough to run a team well.  But probably fewer than 15 of them currently have GM jobs.  There will be someone.

Anybody hear the Leonsis interview? Basically said the arrangement with Ernie was hands off; and that Ted didn't check in with anyone other than Ernie, which he took responsibility for. Said he ran the Wizards different than the Caps, and every other business he has. Wants it to be more collaborative. 

The interesting thing is people are lambasting him for hiring a GM, and letting him run the show... which is what normal sports teams do. Because it was Ernie, and for so long, it's right to question, but that decision in and of itself is what a respectable organization should do. I hope he simply hires a more competent GM, and checks in a bit more. But to go the Snyder route would be disaster I think. 

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/video/ted-leonsis-takes-responsibility-wizards-shortcomings

14 minutes ago, @SkinsGoldPants said:

Right. He's basically saying his error was not being more involved instead of having better people running his team.

They go hand in hand.  Absentee ownership lets incompetence go unaddressed.

I told you guys he didn't give a crap about the Wizards.  Hopefully he does now, and hopefully he does a full audit of the basketball people to figure out what the **** is wrong with the team and it's culture.  I'm praying that he hires new leadership from outside.

• Like 1

On 5/29/2019 at 3:48 PM, @SkinsGoldPants said:

No. The reasoning for the pro-trade Beal crowd is that this is a rebuild now and this is a team without a lot of cap space or draft picks to do that.

That wasn't Aldridge's reasoning.  His was that there will be this kind of feeding frenzy of desperate teams in the market for star players this summer, as so many top level players will be on the market whereas they'll presumably be locked up long term in 2020 and 2021.  The Wizards need to get in on that feeding frenzy to raid one of these teams.

It's a dumb argument.  Demand for star talent is constant.  Increased supply diminishes Beal's value.  If anything he made a case for waiting until after the summer to trade Beal.  His other point was that Beal has two years left on his deal now, and thus he'll have way more value on his contract this summer as opposed to when he was an expiring.  But there is no currency for star player trade value.  Players are bartered for picks and other players.  Trades go: "give me your young players and picks"  "Hmm, that doesn't compromise my build, so OK."  If a team is committed to trading for Beal, it's going to cost them their young assets and picks either this summer or next summer.  You're not going to get someone who'd be a dealbreaker otherwise just because the guy you're trading has an extra year on his deal.

I would like someone to answer this: why do we need cap space this summer in order to rebuild?

Does anyone think trading Beal for draft picks in this draft class is worth it?  If no, then why trade him this summer?