Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

6 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

We really are gonna let an interm GM trade our best player, arent we?  Is there a precedent for that?

At that point I think we could stop viewing him as our interim GM.  They might hire a team president, but Sheppard would clearly be running personnel.

But I don't think Sheppard is going to be empowered to trade Beal.  I don't think he's going to be empowered to make significant changes from last year's roster.  I bet Bryant and Sato are coming back and he picks someone like Nassir Little at number nine and signs a couple of one year free agent deals that have little impact, and that's basically our offseason.

• Like 2

if Beal is half as smart as I think he is, he will have already demanded a trade in private

can't imagine why anybody who has options would want to stay here. Cap hell, no roster flexibility, ****ty front office, and no more Buck to guide us through the pain

I hang around, but i'm an idiot. i stupidly believe that one day my loyalty to this **** franchise will be rewarded

14 minutes ago, StillUnknown said:

I hang around, but i'm an idiot. i stupidly believe that one day my loyalty to this **** franchise will be rewarded

I'm stupid, too.

I like basketball, DC has a team, it's good for the area if they do start winning so ima keep hoping for it.  

When it comes to sports, hope only hurts if you let it.  Redskins taught me that.

2 hours ago, Hersh said:

This might be the dumbest thing I’ve heard an owner say. Ted is  ****ing incompetent. 

I can jus imagine this bamma with a giant ass clip on measuring tape on his belt under his suit, the same one Ernie used to spank him with.

It's not to specifications yet my ass, the ship is sinking in the dry dock.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Hersh said:

The Wizards could get a really big haul for Beal. I hope he asks out so he can go somewhere and win. 

They will do nothing with that haul. I agree with some of the posters here that we should keep Beal. 

If we are getting terrible basketball for the next two years, I want it to be at least mildly entertaining with some hope at the end of the tunnel. 

Edited by No Excuses

Leonsis might actually be smart to not hire a team President until the wreckage of Grunfield subsides. For at least a year, other than trading an asset (not assets) the GM has nothing to work with, nothing to get him excited, and nothing that projects as positive. Even trading Beal leaves the team with too much all but immovable garbage.

There is no quick turnaround here. The team lacks the draft capital, the cap space, and the players to do much. Wall is a player, but he's gone for at least a year and who know who he'll be when he gets back in two years. Beal is a nice player. Otherwise, who is there at guard, forward, or center that holds promise? Last year at least you had Otto vs. Oubre and the problem was how to split playing time at small forward. Now, you have neither. Howard? Ian Mahimi? Are you building a team around Thomas Bryant? Satoransky?

This job isn't a challenge. It's two years of purgatory before they can make the first chess move.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

We really are gonna let an interm GM trade our best player, arent we?  Is there a precedent for that?

Yeah, he's an interim GM technically but not really.

I mean Tommy's been in the organization forever.

Not like he's just some random dude.

We'll learn a lot about Sheppard's mandate and his style from the draft.  It could be more of the same, we'll see.

This internal audit of the organization's operations is what interests me.  If it's real, and it's the reason why the GM hire is taking so long, then that is actually a good thing.  It means we're trying to make structural changes and evolve as an organization.  I hope it's real.

18 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

We'll learn a lot about Sheppard's mandate and his style from the draft.  It could be more of the same, we'll see.

This internal audit of the organization's operations is what interests me.  If it's real, and it's the reason why the GM hire is taking so long, then that is actually a good thing.  It means we're trying to make structural changes and evolve as an organization.  I hope it's real.

Internal audit of the organization is just more fancy speak from Ted. We aren't doing jack.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

Beal is as good as gone, IMO.  No way he signs that extension to essentially stay here in DC for 5 years with so much uncertainty surrounding the organization.  There are issues from the front office all the way down to roster construction.  At this point, I don't even care.  I want what's best for Beal and NOT to have him waste his prime in DC like what happened with Wall.  He needs to be elsewhere with a chance to compete.  If he's traded to New Orleans, then he'll be the unquestioned leader on potentially one of the most exciting young squads in the league.  There would be no pressure on him to stay past his current contract, and he will for sure get a max deal when he hits free agency from a team of HIS choice.  All in all, Pelicans, etc. provide a much better environment than what's here in DC. 

Wizards just need to accept that the whole thing needs to be torn down, and it starts with Beal. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Hersh said:

No internal audit of a basketball organization takes 3 months. If anything, you bring in a new GM to do this work and revamp everything.

How would you or anyone else know how long an audit like this is supposed to take?  And you would need to conduct the review before you hire a new president.  A new president is going to hit the ground running with operations.  And you have to know what's wrong and what you're looking for in a new president before you hire one, or else risk repeating patterns of failure.  I read that management hired outside consultants to conduct the review and advise them on the next hire, which is the proper order to do this.  Not only that, the outside perspective they have helps them get to the bottom bottom of cultural issues and come up with best practices.  IMO this is how you professionalize and evolve the organization.

32 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

There is no master plan for this team. They were ready to hire Connely had he accepted a shorter length contract. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

How would you or anyone else know how long an audit like this is supposed to take?  And you would need to conduct the review before you hire a new president.  A new president is going to hit the ground running with operations.  And you have to know what's wrong and what you're looking for in a new president before you hire one, or else risk repeating patterns of failure.  I read that management hired outside consultants to conduct the review and advise them on the next hire, which is the proper order to do this.  Not only that, the outside perspective they have helps them get to the bottom bottom of cultural issues and come up with best practices.  IMO this is how you professionalize and evolve the organization.

You are in serious denial. You are defending a dumpster fire.

Edited by Hersh
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

There is no master plan for this team. They were ready to hire Connely had he accepted a shorter length contract.  

I'm not convinced we actually know what happened with Connelly.  Balking at going five years when you're offering four and supposedly love the guy doesn't pass the smell test.  I don't think many people know what's actually going on in our front office right now.  It's making the fanbase squirrelly.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

This is why this audit thing is BS.  If Conlley was hired, would the audit be over? Would he be doing it?  Note to anyone that doesnt do cybersecurity, for best results you arent supposed to audit yourself, you actually have to get a third party for certain certification and validations.

Edited by Renegade7
  • Like 1

Just now, stevemcqueen1 said:

I'm not convinced we actually know what happened with Connelly.  Balking at going five years when you're offering four and supposedly love the guy doesn't pass the smell test.  I don't think many people know what's actually going on in our front office right now.  It's making the fanbase squirrelly.

I think you're giving the front office a massive benefit of the doubt that they have not come close to earning 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2