Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

I guess the counter-argument in favor of character though is Andre Iguodala.  Let's say a guy doesn't blow you away with his skills, but he is a winner who plays very high IQ team-oriented basketball.  You can live to fight another day with a guy like him, and they can make major contributions to a championship team.  Whereas picking an out and out bust might kill you.

You still have to get that leader who can be the guy for you down the line, but maybe you get a better opportunity for one next year.  The NBA player has been extremely volatile in terms of superstar player movement.  Of the ten or so best players in the NBA, only Curry and Giannis haven't changed teams.  Westbrook too, if you rank him that high, but I'm not sure I do.

I'm glad I don't have to run our drafts.  The NBA draft is the most speculative and difficult draft of any of the four major pro leagues.  These kids grow so much and they are so young and unpredictable.

Has anyone watched much of Grant Williams from Tennessee?  I saw him in the tourney, but not much beyond that.  I was looking at this stats and they jump out as being pretty great: http://www.tankathon.com/players/grant-williams

What's wrong with him?  He's being projected to be a second round pick.  Wondering if he might not be a good target if we buy a second round pick.

This guy also stands out as having really good stats for someone being put in the second round in a lot of mock drafts: http://www.tankathon.com/players/chuma-okeke

1 hour ago, StillUnknown said:

More potential than player at the moment. Really hard to get a read on his time at Indiana because he played with a torn hand ligament that certainly affected his shot. Prototypical measurables that should allow him to be a good defensive player with time. He would be a swing towards upside.

Thats ultimately where i'm at in this draft. Take the guy with the highest upside. Its why i dont really want Clarke, not much space between his floor and ceiling. If we miss, so what, it doesnt make or break us in the immediate future. Swing for the fences and hope that being stuck with grunfeld for 15+ years has stored us a reserve of goodwill that will be paid.

I checked out Langford.  His numbers are mostly just OK, but I liked what I saw from his cut ups.  Confident handle with a strong intermediate game and a real knack for taking it to the basket and finishing through contact.  He reminds me of Oladipo with his powerful, hunched over style where he usually seems to be under control, and he keeps that handle nice and low.  Kind of see a little bit of Eric Gordon in him too, so maybe two former Indiana 2 guards offer a nice preview of his potential.

good call on him, he could be a nice pick too.

3 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

We should go on record before tonight with like a realistic top three of who we want at #9.  Mine is:

1 - Bol

2 - Clarke

3 - Doumbouya

I thought you were anti-Bol. I agree with you on Bol, he’s the top guy for me, then Reddish/Nas/Porter jr with OkeKe, Schofield & Lecque in round 2. Guy & Bone udfa.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Has anyone watched much of Grant Williams from Tennessee?  I saw him in the tourney, but not much beyond that.  I was looking at this stats and they jump out as being pretty great: http://www.tankathon.com/players/grant-williams

What's wrong with him?  He's being projected to be a second round pick.  Wondering if he might not be a good target if we buy a second round pick.

This guy also stands out as having really good stats for someone being put in the second round in a lot of mock drafts: http://www.tankathon.com/players/chuma-okeke

I’ve seen every minute he’s played. He’s got very limited athleticism & he’s short, he could be a Draymond type, he’s been promised a round 1 selection... but those don’t always come through. 

3 hours ago, Rocky21 said:

People are giving Leonsis the benefit of the doubt when he has done nothing to deserve it.  He left EGGM in place for YEARS when his incompetence was painfully obvious to everyone in the free world who was paying attention …except for the owner.  The same guy who turned a blind eye to Grunfeld’s complete incompetence is now this wise guru who is going to lead us into something new and better?  I’m not buying that ****.   

Ernie passed on Currie, Leonard & Giannis. Ted should be forced to wear a photo of Ernies ass on his shirt every day. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, No Excuses said:

Yup. If you are drafting late in the lottery, are saddled with poor cap space, no chance of attracting top talent, you swing for the player that has the highest upside and that is Bol. 

I am far more concerned that we don’t have the right coaching staff and organizational structure to develop him than his character issues. A good organization can provide structure and discipline. The Wizards track record here is awful. 

Trade Beal to the Knicks for Robinson, 2 firsts, a 2nd, Knox, & Smith/Mudiay.

Draft RJ, Reddish, Lecque, Schofield.

RJ, Reddish, Lecque, Robinson, Knox, Smith, #1 next year & the two we’d have the following year would give us an insane amount of talent & plenty of money to spend. Better to be atrocious than decent.

Smith

Sato

RJ

Reddish/Knox

Robinson

Lets run. Lecque is the ultimate lottery ticket. 

Also going to need Carsen Edwards.

12 minutes ago, Fight4RGIII said:

I saw an interesting trade proposal on Bleacher Report:

TJ Warren for Mahimi and a future 1st (lottery protected in 2020 and turns in to 2 2nds after that)

Id do that in a second

The Suns want to trade Jackson & Warren ... so they can keep Oubre and build around he, Ayton & Booker. Ernie should be locked up.

I’d love to trade for Jackson.

22 minutes ago, Fight4RGIII said:

TJ Warren for Mahimi and a future 1st (lottery protected in 2020 and turns in to 2 2nds after that)

Id do that in a second

Do we even have second round picks any time in the next decade?

You've been a Wizards fan for too long.  That trade is an Ernie Grunfeld special: trading a future first to bury a past mistake and bring in a replacement level player who will make absolutely zero impact on wins.  6'8 gunner forwards who don't play defense are a dime a dozen.  There is no meaningful difference between Mike Scott and TJ Warren and Jeff Green and Jabari Parker and Andrew Wiggins and Danuel House and Doug McDermott and so on, ad infinitum.  We have a boner for these kinds of warm body forwards apparently.  They are the platonic form of the replacement level NBA vagabond and I wouldn't trade anything of value for one ever.

Rodney Hood is another one.  So is Harrison Barnes.  Bojan is another one and he's about to get himself paid.  This is depressing to think about.  Half the league is made up of these guys.

• Like 2

Would you move back a little to get a 2nd rounder?

We complain that we don't have any at the same time they aren't really valued in the league.

I don't know. I probably would move back because nobody who'd fall to us seems like a sure bet. But I don't look at their prospects like I would for the NFL.

If half the league is made up of gunner fowards who dont play defense, then perhaps that is where the league is trending and there is a need for such a player. Jabari Parker is only cheap available because of the injuries. Andrew Wiggins is not a nobody. Bojangles carried that pacers team to the playoffs. Harrison Barnes has a ring, and joined a team that was going through a total rebuild.

I agree with not ever trading future picks for valuable but ultimately readily available players, but disagree that everyone who is not a franchise player is on this particular list.

Edited by Skin'emAlive

15 minutes ago, Fight4RGIII said:

Id do that in a second

I wouldn't.

I would just let the Mahinmi contract end and have the cap space.

Ive been calling for a Beal trade for about 3 years now. It has to happen. We dont have the pieces, picks, or potential to do anything next year. Its been a year, and we still dont even know what position Troy Brown plays. While I would have preferred to have a GM in place by now, not having one doesnt mean we should give up on making that move. Its the smart decision. Brad has no reason to sign that extension in July, and the likely-hood of him getting inured on a skeleton team before the All-Star break is very high. Make the trade, get some picks, and start the rebuild. Its going to be a rough 2 years. Time to accept it and build for the future.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, @SkinsGoldPants said:

Would you move back a little to get a 2nd rounder?

We complain that we don't have any at the same time they aren't really valued in the league.

I don't know. I probably would move back because nobody who'd fall to us seems like a sure bet. But I don't look at their prospects like I would for the NFL.

If Ted is willing, we can buy 2nd rounders. This 2nd round is loaded imo. 

I’d love to trade back from 9 and then leave the draft with Bol, Edwards, & Lecque at minimum. 

A player I love that doesn’t get a lot of talk is Zylan Cheatham, he’s got talent for days, he’s aggressive & he hit over 70% of his FTs in his first two seasons which is typically a decent indicator of potential to develop a shot.

8 minutes ago, Skin'emAlive said:

If half the league is made up of gunner fowards who dont play defense, then perhaps that is where the league is trending and there is a need for such a player. Jabari Parker is only cheap available because of the injuries. Andrew Wiggins is not a nobody. Bojangles carried that pacers team to the playoffs. Harrison Barnes has a ring, and joined a team that was going through a total rebuild.

I agree with not ever trading future picks for valuable but ultimately readily available players, but disagree that everyone who is not a franchise player is on this particular list. 

I'm not saying everyone who isn't a franchise player has no value.  I'm saying specifically 6'8 gunner forwards who don't play any defense.  That player type has no value.  That is the most commonly available journeyman player in the NBA.  You should never have to pay more than the MLE to get one.  Hell, we've been getting them for min contracts the past two years.

Wiggins is one of the worst contracts in the NBA.  Barnes was a horrendous contract too, and I give him as much credit for his ring as I give Mario Chalmers for his.  Parker would have been a horrendous contract too if he hadn't been limited to just two years.  Bojangles is a little different since he played some defense this year and he reliably hits big shots.  But his norm is to be completely replacement level (and overpaid).  He was a product of Indy's system, not the other way around.

These guys can have memorable moments when they play for great teams, but they make zero dent on wins, and you see that in how they populate the rosters of the lottery and treadmill teams of the NBA.  What you don't often see is them showing up in the rotations of champions.  Those teams tend to run forwards who play defense.

12 minutes ago, @SkinsGoldPants said:

Fair enough. 

I think I heard somewhere that the going rate for a second is like 5 million dollars.  That's a lot of money, but in the grand scheme of a roster, that's not terrible if you really like the kid.  His salary will be cheap too.

Fred Katz said he thinks the Wizards might actually buy one this year.  His reasoning is that the team is really focused on trying to raise the profile of the Go-Go and integrate it into the Wizards brand and operate as a true AAA affiliate for the team.  And they're going to need some draft picks to play on the team to do that.

If Im the Wizards, I would look to trade with Cleveland:

Cleveland receives: Brad Beal

Washington receives: #5, #26, 2021 1st

#5: Jarrett Culver, SG

#9: Sekou Doumbouya, PF

#26: Bol Bol, C

2nd round purchase #34 from Philadelphia : Jalen Lecque, PG

We then go into a year of experience losses, come out next draft with a possible lottery pick or two (cleveland), fill in the gaps and let John feed everyone.

1 hour ago, Fight4RGIII said:

Id do that in a second

This team has to stop trading away first round picks. You don't want this team finishing 8th then losing it's pick next season. 

1 minute ago, Skin'emAlive said:

If Im the Wizards, I would look to trade with Cleveland:

Cleveland receives: Brad Beal

Washington receives: #5, #26, 2021 1st

#5: Jarrett Culver, SG

#9: Sekou Doumbouya, PF

#26: Bol Bol, C

2nd round purchase #34 from Philadelphia : Jalen Lecque, PG

We then go into a year of experience losses, come out next draft with a possible lottery pick or two (cleveland), fill in the gaps and let John feed everyone.

Cleveland would never go for that.