Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

Givony's pre-draft write-up:

The face of Japanese basketball, Hachimura developed into a potential lottery pick thanks to his steady improvement at Gonzaga. He is one of the draft's more divisive prospects, with some seeing him as a sure top-10 pick and others questioning his winning impact despite impressive box score stats. But Hachimura's tools and inside-out scoring could earn him looks in the top-10 come June. -- Schmitz

Strengths

Elite physical profile for a modern forward with a chiseled, powerful 234-pound frame, long arms and huge hands. Finishes through contact, converting 25 and-1s through 37 games. Generated 7.9 free throws per 40 minutes last season. Can finish above the rim in space thanks to his length and hand size.

Mismatch scorer who can take more traditional bigs onto the perimeter and wings onto the block. Shot a career-best 41.7 percent from 3 on 36 attempts as a junior. At his best pulling up for mid-range jumpers. Can attack in a straight line with physicality. Quick and powerful in the mid-post.

Has the tools to be a sound defender given his length, agility and overall size. High-intangible prospect noted for his work ethic and eagerness to learn. Still has untapped potential despite his age. Can his perimeter game blossom with more freedom and space in the NBA?

Improvement areas

Mediocre feel for the game. Finished with more turnovers than assists every season at Gonzaga. Head-down ball-handler who misses open teammates. Predetermined with his moves. Had a 73.0 true shooting percentage (TS%) against losing teams and a 61.7 TS% against winning teams.

Reluctant 3-point shooter. Shoots a flat ball with his hand on top at times. Although he has good touch inside the arc and has improved throughout the pre-draft process, there are no guarantees that his jumper is totally projectable in live action. Took more pull-ups than catch-and-shoot jumpers as a junior. Career 30.9 percent from 3 on 162 attempts.

Not the defender his tools suggest. Upright in his stance on the perimeter. Struggled to keep wings and guards in front during the season. Off-ball instincts have room to improve.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, abdcskins said:

I like that pick. 

I know you were on some Hachimura early man, that was a good call.

I can't say I love the pick, but I don't hate it.  It's kind of like Nassir Little would have been in that it just doesn't really move the needle for me.  I think he'll be a good role player, and he's a good character pick, but I just don't think he'll make much of a dent on our wins total.  I question how good a defensive player he really is.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I know you were on some Hachimura early man, that was a good call.

I can't say I love the pick, but I don't hate it.  It's kind of like Nassir Little would have been in that it just doesn't really move the needle for me.  I think he'll be a good role player, and he's a good character pick, but I just don't think he'll make much of a dent on our wins total.  I question how good a defensive player he really is.

He can’t be great, he can’t be terrible, the worst thing possible... a good player who will demand too much money and make absolutely no difference in helping us build a contender. The worst profile imaginable.

• Sad 1

Just now, volsmet said:

He can’t be great, he can’t be terrible, the worst thing possible... a good player who will demand too much money and make absolutely no difference in helping us build a contender. The worst profile imaginable.

Thanks, another Otto Porter.  I think I'm done for the night.

• Like 4

Just now, Barry.Randolphe said:

Atlanta is having a good draft....sigh

Atl is going to be fun to watch, Collins, Young, Reddish, Huerter, Hunter... I’d trade our entire roster for any combination of 2.

3 minutes ago, Fight4RGIII said:

I think it could end up being a really solid pick. But, you want more out of a top ten pick 

Especially when Bol and Brandon Clarke were on the board.  IMO Clarke was Gonzaga's best player and best prospect.  I would have been much happier with him being the pick.

3 minutes ago, volsmet said:

Well let's not go too far.  I would much rather pick a good player than a bust.

He's a good offensive player, although I think his floor vision is questionable.  But unless he is a much better defensive player than I realize, I don't see how he helps improve the absolute worst part of our team.  We need forwards who can defend.  We have zero foundation for defense.  And it doesn't seem like this FO and coaching staff are serious about fixing the defense at all.  Thomas Bryant and Rui Hachimura as your front court aren't going to stop anyone.

• Like 2

This team may be trying to purge its toxic locker room and culture.  That might have lead them to prioritize work ethic and character, more than in years past.  Hachimura isn’t all intangibles though, he has the physical tools to be an impact nba player.  Great wingspan and projects to score inside and out.  

I wouldn’t have drafted him, but I’m terrible at this so maybe that’s a good thing.  On the bright side they drafted a big that can shoot and dribble.  Not much of a passer, but that’s more skilled than Ernie seemed to do in the past.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, StillUnknown said:

the man had 12 more turnovers than assists 

That is a cause for concern.  When you see his cut ups, it's really clear that he has that Kelly Oubre mentality of "I'm going to the rim at all costs" and he just completely misses cutters and open guys in the corners.

To me it is clear that Brandon Clarke is a much more explosive and smart player.  And he's tougher too.  But if Clarke is too much of a reach at 9, then why not try like Hell to trade back?  Hachimura is likely a reach at 9 too.

Or if we're looking for a dribble, pass, shoot big man like Destino mentioned, why not Bol?  Bol can see the floor well and he's a better shooter than Hachimura.  Not to mention he's got an absolutely massive wingspan and projects as a strong rim protector.

I don't know, I'm just going to have a hard time shaking the feeling that there were multiple better picks to be made this year.  I really hope Hachimura proves me dead wrong and becomes the next Kawhi Leonard.  But I'm skeptical.

And I'm also feeling antsy about trading Beal now.  If we're loading up on high character role players like Troy Brown and Rui Hachimura, star caliber talent like Beal feels more precious.  I don't really trust the FO to use a draft haul in the optimal way.

9 was a pretty poor spot this draft.

Hachimura will have to increase his range and gamespeed to translate his game to the NBA. He also can't play any D.... but that fits right in with the rest of the team.