Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

4 minutes ago, Hersh said:

You are in serious denial. You are defending a dumpster fire. 

Or I took a break from the circle jerk for a minute to actually listen to what the team is saying they are doing.

2 minutes ago, StillUnknown said:

I think you're giving the front office a massive benefit of the doubt that they have not come close to earning 

Does the narrative that Connelly was a done deal but for wanting an extra year on his contract make sense to you?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Or I took a break from the circle jerk for a minute to actually listen to what the team is saying they are doing.

Does the narrative that Connelly was a done deal but for wanting an extra year on his contract make sense to you?

414A9C56-1F0A-4607-9A5F-2AF528116941.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

It makes perfect sense for the team that employed Ernie Grunfeld for 20 years and let him run this team 10,000 feet into the ground before finally doing something. 

They are morons who are bad at running an NBA franchise.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

It would never happen from our local media, but I would LOVE to see Ted questioned about the consulting firm's role in this whole process if Shep is the last man standing. 

Aside from bloggers, we have the absolute worst local media who follow this team.  They bring next to nothing to the table.  Has to be the easiest gig at the WaPo to work the Wizards beat. 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, StillUnknown said:

I think you're giving the front office a massive benefit of the doubt that they have not come close to earning 

Agreed. I'm thinking he probably was honest about how bad the situation is... and that wasn't something Ted would hear.

This is what I think is happening:

- Ted is not lying when he says he's trying to create a leadership team rather than going with a traditional top down approach.  He wants an interdisciplinary governing board.  He wants these people to collaborate and share power.

- Tommy Sheppard isn't going anywhere.  He's viewed as our expert on the draft, and he's going to continue to have a big role in personnel.

- This is the reason the Connelly negotiations broke down.

- We may never see a traditional president hired.  What we may see instead is a group of executive hires of people who have varied expertise and backgrounds.

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

- Ted is not lying when he says he's trying to create a leadership team rather than going with a traditional top down approach.  He wants an interdisciplinary governing board.  He wants these people to collaborate and share power.

- Tommy Sheppard isn't going anywhere.  He's viewed as our expert on the draft, and he's going to continue to have a big role in personnel.

- We may never see a traditional president hired.  What we may see instead is a group of executive hires of people who have varied expertise and backgrounds.

I think I may actually prefer the scenario where Ted cheaped out over one additional year.  You hire a president of basketball ops, but tell him you have to keep the following guys on board?  If that's really true, we're in Snyder territory.

Edit:  Not to mention the fact that sounds suspiciously like "I want to run the team"

Edited by bearrock
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Do you think there's even a 1% chance at Masai? 

There HAD to have been something there for Woj, Standig, etc. to report on it.  I do wonder if the Wizards are waiting for the Kawhi/FA dust to settle before actually presenting Masai with an offer...

IF it was to happen, I think it would be Masai being pres of the org and Shep being the GM. 

Edited by RonArtest15

13 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

If your scenario is true, that makes things worse, not better. If Connely isnt here because ted is keen on keeping shep, then this situation is ****ed more than i previously considered.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

This is an awful way to run a sports team. 

The Wizards drafting of players hasn’t been stellar so if he’s the expert, pass.

If they try to get away with not hiring a team president, there will be chaos.

I’m going to speculate that every one interviewed for the job has said the Wiz need to replace the head coach and Ted doesn’t want to spend on that. He wants to promote from within and keep almost everyone around. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, bearrock said:

I think I may actually prefer the scenario where Ted cheaped out over one additional year.  You hire a president of basketball ops, but tell him you have to keep the following guys on board?  If that's really true, we're in Snyder territory. 

Edit:  Not to mention the fact that sounds suspiciously like "I want to run the team" 

I definitely don't think Ted wants to run the team.  I've never really gotten the sense that Ted cares about the day to day operation of the team at all.  I think what he cares about his sports entertainment empire, and wants the Wizards to become a more prestigious and valuable organization.  I think, more than anything, he wants the team to run itself and not present problems for him.  This fits the pattern of why he left Grunfeld in charge for so long.

I'm suspicious of this philosophy of collaboration.  Traditional organizational hierarchy has worked in the past when a team has had brilliant people in charge.  But it's a new approach to running an NBA team, and it's at least an interesting experiment in leadership.  The NBA is different than other leagues.  It's so much more experimental.  I don't know if this will work, but I'm interested to see it play out.

10 minutes ago, RonArtest15 said:

Do you think there's even a 1% chance at Masai? 

There HAD to have been something there for Woj, Standig, etc. to report on it.  I do wonder if the Wizards are waiting for the Kawhi/FA dust to settle before actually presenting Masai with an offer... 

IF it was to happen, I think it would be Masai being pres of the org and Shep being the GM.  

I don't think Masai is going to leave Toronto.  Not unless he's bored with being an NBA GM and wants a new challenge.

32 minutes ago, RonArtest15 said:

It would never happen from our local media, but I would LOVE to see Ted questioned about the consulting firm's role in this whole process if Shep is the last man standing. 

Aside from bloggers, we have the absolute worst local media who follow this team.  They bring next to nothing to the table.  Has to be the easiest gig at the WaPo to work the Wizards beat. 

All they do is take what the Wizards give them and write stories about it. Its terrible stuff and no one really cares.

I spent a year not caring about the Wizards and now that I am back, I feel its best to be indifferent to them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, StillUnknown said:

If your scenario is true, that makes things worse, not better. If Connely isnt here because ted is keen on keeping shep, then this situation is ****ed more than i previously considered. 

It's different.  And it's going to be difficult to build this way.  I have a hard time seeing any GM who has as much power as guys like Ujiri and Connelly being willing to cede power and be part of a "leadership team."  I think you would pretty much have to hire guys who are at the assistant GM level to agree to that.

My question is where did Ted get the idea to do this?  Why does he think the NBA is evolving into this style of leadership?  He referenced having conversations with people about building organizations, so who has he been talking to?  I would imagine these are the outside consultants he asked to review the organization and come up with best practices for them to follow.  Well, what's on this list of procedures?

These are the questions for which I wish our media was finding answers.

9 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

I think DC sports has the worst collection of sports team owners in the country.

That would be interesting to examine. Lots of cities have at least one terrible owner. 

25 minutes ago, Hersh said:

That would be interesting to examine. Lots of cities have at least one terrible owner. 

We have three. All of these owners are bad in their ways. There are varying degrees of terrible, but I challenge anyone to find a city with at least three professional sports teams in the big four leagues that have a worse collection than we do.

• Sad 1

41 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

All they do is take what the Wizards give them and write stories about it. Its terrible stuff and no one really cares.

I spent a year not caring about the Wizards and now that I am back, I feel its best to be indifferent to them.

It's crazy, really...that article that Candace wrote a few weeks back detailing EG's firing had "new" information that has been circulating on message boards, etc. for YEARS.  They really think that this fanbase is stupid at times.  No one asks hard questions and demands answers for the rationale for how things are run. 

Personally, I don't care all that much.  I'm happy that Wall got his bag because he's been nothing but a good soldier in his time in DC...but I want Beal traded because he deserves better. 

42 minutes ago, BenningRoadSkin said:

Ted has no Earthly idea what he is doing. All he cares about is not spending money. We are effed. 

I think DC sports has the worst collection of sports team owners in the country.

Can't speak on the Nats, as I'm not a fan...

But at least w/ Dan Snyder, he's TRIED to win...failing miserably in the process, but he's shown a willingness to spend money. 

Caps....lucky to have a transcendent talent on the team for over a decade in a league where over half of the squads make the playoffs.  I'm happy with the one cup win, but there should have been more. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, RonArtest15 said:

Can't speak on the Nats, as I'm not a fan...

But at least w/ Dan Snyder, he's TRIED to win...failing miserably in the process, but he's shown a willingness to spend money. 

Caps....lucky to have a transcendent talent on the team for over a decade in a league where over half of the squads make the playoffs.  I'm happy with the one cup win, but there should have been more. 

Obviously I can't speak to the Nats owner either but I would think that ownership is solid. I will say the good think about the owners in the area is that they will spend money. Not all owners are willing to do that. 

I would look at Tampa and Miami having comparably bad owners though the Heat's owner is probably a good one. Cleveland has a couple terrible owners. 

Edited by Hersh

Steve... you couldn’t possibly be more wrong here. 

Ted is a lying sack of **** with no accountability, no forethought, and a need to prove how everyone else is wrong other than him and his own genius ideas. The man is driven to shove his own brilliance in his fans faces. He’s not far off from another sociopath in DC with how he responds to criticism of his own garbage initiatives. 

I intend to create a leadership team when it feels exactly right and is in alignment with our findings and our final developed specifications

Read that ****. That is what he said after firing the previous GM during the season. He’s had 3 months to pressure wash this franchise of EG, and 17 years of evidence to prove why allowing a member of the current FO to have any say in the team going forward would be a foolish idea. It’s statements like that above that shed light on exactly why no one is going to take this job. No man wants to report to someone that full of themselves, and with such a lack of accountability. 

We should have a new GM and new staff at every spot in the organization. That includes coaches, medical staff, video coordinators, training, etc. it’s all gotta be purged. And Brad needs to be traded for assets. Next year is a guaranteed 20 win season featuring Scott Brooks attempting to save his career by running Brad into the ground. The year following will not be much better. Make the move that’s best for the team ( and Brad) while he has his most value and while teams with great assets are interested and calling. Brad for the 4th + future 1sts is the best move for both the franchise and Brad himself. Waiting until after the draft for him to turn down that extension would be an absolutely predictable failure, with only TED to blame. 

• Thanks 4

9 minutes ago, Skin'emAlive said:

Next year is a guaranteed 20 win season featuring Scott Brooks attempting to save his career by running Brad into the ground. 

Ah crap.  I think I may have just switched to trade Beal camp.  For Brad's sake.  😢

1 hour ago, Skin'emAlive said:

Steve... you couldn’t possibly be more wrong here. 

Ted is a lying sack of **** with no accountability, no forethought, and a need to prove how everyone else is wrong other than him and his own genius ideas. The man is driven to shove his own brilliance in his fans faces. He’s not far off from another sociopath in DC with how he responds to criticism of his own garbage initiatives.  

I've seen the quote, and I'm not sure what you find so objectionable about it because you didn't really articulate it.  TBH, you guys are raving about Ted and this has devolved into a circle jerk.

Ted believes in his own brilliance and wisdom no doubt, but I don't think he's a liar, nor a freaking sociopath.  I think he means exactly what he says in that quote.  And honestly, I'm not troubled by him saying he has a plan and that he's going to follow through on it and he will not be caving outside pressure to shortcut or abandon it.  Panicking over criticism and confusion is what bad ownership would do.

He's arrogant and I don't think he's done a good job selling the fanbase on his plans/vision for the Wizards, but that failure does equal bad ownership.  If his plan works out, none of us will care that we were confused about what he was doing, that it took so long to build the front office, or that it's unconventional in structure.  I think what he's doing is actually surprisingly ambitious.  And if we get a true restructure out of this, that's probably an improvement.  Put it together with the opening of the practice facility and the founding of the Go-Go and it seems like an honest attempt to evolve the franchise.

• Thanks 1

This is pretty crazy: https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/video/bradley-beal-jayson-tatum-trade-possible

I can't figure out why they would do it, but If the Celtics are willing to build an offer around Jayson Tatum, then you say Hell Yes.  That is the best potential haul I've seen so far.

**** I would even consider Beal for Tatum straight up if the Celtics had the cap space.  If we got a pick(s) out of it too, nobody is beating that.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2