Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

1 minute ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Here is his prospect profile on tankathon: http://www.tankathon.com/players/rui-hachimura

It's OK.  The offensive numbers are good, but the defense is meh and the rebounding is underwhelming for a guy who will likely play PF for us.

I feel like you're trying to talk yourself into liking this pick.  You're Lonzo Ball-ing you liking this pick into existence.  Don't fight it man.  It's ok.

1 minute ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I feel like you're trying to talk yourself into liking this pick.  You're Lonzo Ball-ing you liking this pick into existence.  Don't fight it man.  It's ok. 

I don't hate the pick.  But I just get a Jeff Green vibe from this kid and I think there were better players on the board.  And I can't shake a suspicion that we did this in large part because of how popular he is in Asia.  I don't think it's the sole reason for the pick, but I could see it tipping the scales in his favor if we had him close to guys like Doumbouya and Clarke.

I'm not that good at evaluating NBA prospects though, and I am hoping I am wrong about this kid.  I am really hoping he can play defense and that he wasn't just a product of Gonzaga's system.

I was ready to be disappointed though, because I knew for certain two days ago we weren't going to pick the kid I really wanted after listening to that Fred Katz podcast.

• Like 2

Ok, I'm gonna say this then go back to what I'm doing.  I predict they will have some themed event centered around him and the fact they play in Chinatown and make this poor Japanese man uncomfortable AF.

He looks like a bigger version of Kelly in the clips, but omg with not even talking to him before drafting him.  We look like we have a skeleton crew front office, take me to your leader, everyone shrugs their shoulders.

Edited by Renegade7
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, StillUnknown said:

I legit think they have an off camera bet about who can make the craziest comparison with a straight face.

Billups compared Coby White to Gilbert Arenas

I like Billups but I kinda scratched my head at that one, too.  Cause someone a few seconds earlier was saying he was a pass first PG, I believe.  And that's not what Arenas was so...

Watching his highlights I can see the Kawhi comparison on offense.  His pull up mid range jump shot looks just like Kawhi’s.  He holds the ball high and fires that same flat shot.  Around the rim he shows off that upper body strength to knock defenders out of the way on his way up.  

5 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Kawhi vs. Antawn Jamison.  Hmmm...

Never take nbadraft.net player comparisons seriously.  They have a history of horrible ones.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Destino said:

Watching his highlights I can see the Kawhi comparison on offense.  His pull up mid range jump shot looks just like Kawhi’s.  He holds the ball high and fires that same flat shot.  Around the rim he shows off that upper body strength to knock defenders out of the way on his way up.   

Finishes over and through defenders too.  I see what you and Jalen mean about his physicality.

He is a very aggressive player, and that is a good thing.  NBA stars are almost always hyper aggressive.  But so are the Kelly Oubre's of the league.  You need to see that aggression paired with good floor vision and decision making ability.  That is where I think Rui is weak.  My question is can this realistically be improved?  I didn't feel like Oubre really got meaningfully better as a passer and decision maker from day one to the moment we traded him.  I don't remember if Kawhi had sketchy court vision early in his career and if he grew into being a good passer and playmaker.

I think dribbling and shooting skills might be a lot more realistic to improve than decision-making and passing ability.

One really big difference between San Diego State Kawhi and Hachimura is the rebounding.  Kawhi was a tremendous rebounder for his position in college.  He averaged 10 RPG his final season.  Hachimura averaged just 6.5 RPG.  That is a significant gap.  Hachimura is also coming out as a junior, whereas Kawhi came out as a sophomore and was a much better player at that point than Hachimura was as a sophomore.

I will give Hachimura some leeway for being a late bloomer though, because he is a trail blazer of the sport for his nation.  Looks like his freshman year was a de facto red shirt season as he only played 4 minutes a game.  It must have been a difficult adjustment to come to an America and have to learn our language and basketball culture.

3 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

One really big difference between San Diego State Kawhi and Hachimura is the rebounding.  Kawhi was a tremendous rebounder for his position in college.  He averaged 10 RPG his final season.  Hachimura averaged just 6.5 RPG.  That is a significant gap.  Hachimura is also coming out as a junior, whereas Kawhi came out as a sophomore and was a much better player at that point than Hachimura was as a sophomore.

Board man gets paid.  

Hachimura is like Kawhi just like Nick Young had some Kobe in his game. 

The entire draft philosophy of Ernie Grunfeld was picking players who seemingly had some good tools, maybe even elite in some areas but really no feel for the game and glaring holes in critical areas.

This is my first sign that Tommy Shepherd is ideologically similar to Ernie. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1