Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Washington Basketball Thread: Wizards, Mystics etc

BRAVEONAWARPATH

52 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

... Ed Tapscott was sitting there with Tommy Sheppard, Frank Ross, and Scott Brooks in our war room?

On the plus side @StillUnknown, I don't think we have to worry about Ed Tapscott coming in and getting the GM job at the 11th hour.

On the minus side, it's because he's already working for us.

Watching that awkward phone call to Rui Hachimura that Fred Katz posted on his twitter feed... our war room just isn't a very inspiring meeting of the minds.  It feels like the front office version of a bunch of grinding try hards.

Tapscott gonna be here with roaches after the nuclear war.

Seriously though, if they only eliminated Grunfeld from the ranks, culture wont change as fast as we need it to

12 minutes ago, StillUnknown said:

Seriously though, if they only eliminated Grunfeld from the ranks, culture wont change as fast as we need it to

Exactly.  It's not like the crappy culture came from nowhere.  If the culture is so bad that they prioritized that over talent and potential (I have no idea whether that's true), the people responsible for picking the players who supposedly created that culture needs to be on the chopping block

7 hours ago, volsmet said:

The fact that we could have easily ended the night with Reddish, Bol, Lecque & Cheatham, and instead ended it with Hoochie momma, Schofield, & Davis ... is disgusting.

And arguably 2/4 guys you listed have more questions about them than the guys we drafted. 

I think the Wizards had a SOLID draft.  Probably in the B- range. 

Got an immediate starter in Rui and am IMMEDIATE rotational piece in Schofield. 

I'm as down on this FO as anyone else, but all things considered, they did well last night. 

• Like 4

Having a hard time shaking that feeling of dread that we're going to have the worst defense in the NBA.  I'm feeling better about the Hachimura pick than I did in the moment, but I don't feel any better about the prospect of Bobby Portis and Thomas Bryant being brought back and playing major roles.

We're filling out the roster with all of these high effort culture guys who play with tons of energy but aren't actually good at defense.

NBA players often talk about how defense just comes down to effort, but I think we're going to prove that's not true.  It takes a lot of talent too.  A lot of BBall IQ and awareness.  To my eye, Thomas Bryant is lost on that end of the court and Bobby Portis is a terrible defender.

I'll give Hachimura the benefit of the doubt on defense even though his reputation on that end isn't what I'd hoped for, because his defensive indicator stats from last year at Gonzaga are actually good.  As you can see here: http://www.tankathon.com/players/rui-hachimura, his defensive win shares are above average for a prospect, and his DRtg is very good.  Now his defensive box +/- is a little below average for a prospect, so his positive defensive numbers could mainly be a product of playing in the context of a really good defensive team and good system.  But at least his numbers mean he was good enough on defense not to hurt them.

His overall win share rate is strong.  He was a key part of a very impressive Gonzaga team that won a ton of games, so that makes sense.  The bulk of his win shares come from his offensive performance, and this is the most encouraging part of his stats to me.  He had a 125 ORtg on 28.1% usage.  That is a very good efficiency rating for a fairly high usage player who does a lot of his damage off the dribble and from midrange.  Usually the good dribble drive guys and mid range volume shooters have efficiency ratings in the 110 area like RJ Barrett's.  This suggests to me that Hachimura's size and strength give him a major advantage as a finisher, and that he's an unusually creative finisher with quality touch.  His stats basically paint the picture of a player who doesn't pass the ball much, but doesn't turn it over, and who takes a lot of shots and makes them.  I think his easy and very natural touch on his intermediate and mid range shots support the front office's contention that he has the potential to grow into a strong three point shooter.  Otto was like that at Georgetown.  He didn't really show NBA three ball range in college, but the mid range and paint touch was manifestly good, and by his second or third year in the NBA he had a good three ball.

10 minutes ago, RonArtest15 said:

He probably could play for the Wizards this season.  Maybe not in the rotation, but he could make the team.  But I think I'd like to see him play in the G-League first.  We're reaching a point where Beal and Sato are our only experienced players, and Sato isn't that experienced in terms of NBA veterancy.  We're not going to be able to play defense with this group, and thus we're not going to be able to win.

I don't know what the answer is, but I don't want to throw next season away if the plan is to keep Beal.  We need to get some Danny Green type veteran free agents in the door.  I wish we had the money for Willie Cauley-Stein or DeAndre Jordan.  Some kind of rim protector and defensive anchor who could help us like Marc Gasol helped the Raptors.  But we've still got freaking 20 million dollars tied up in Mahinmi and Dwight.

Nerlens Noel anyone?

34 minutes ago, RonArtest15 said:

And arguably 2/4 guys you listed have more questions about them than the guys we drafted. 

I'm as down on this FO as anyone else, but all things considered, they did well last night. 

Overall i agree, there would be questions about anybody that we drafted at 9 in a weak draft.

Last night revealed a little of how the front office is thinking as currently constructed.  If Rui starts it will be more by default, i think he ultimately ends up as a positive bench contributor. Last night made it seem like they are not focused on doing a proper rebuild. They didnt swing for upside. It feels like the team they put on the floor this year will be similar to last season, not good enough for the playoffs, not bad enough for top pick consideration. Maybe they plan on recalibrating once they have a better idea of Wall's recovery. If so, thats disappointing to me. I dont like half-measures

• Like 2

Fred Katz's post-draft podcast with Ben Standig is good.  Their take on the Wizard's draft was that it was fine.  I would characterize their feelings about Sheppard as cautiously optimistic.

Fred Katz went into more depth about how the Wizards are trying to use analytic information better.  He said they're trying to use it to make medical evaluations and predict durability.  This goes back to Ted's claim that they're going to build an interdisciplinary leadership team with experts in sports medicine and in different kinds of analytics being a part of it.  Have they made these hires yet?  If not, then shouldn't they try and make them as soon as possible?  We have a difficult and important free agency period coming up almost immediately, and it feels like avoiding more mistakes like signing Mahinmi and Dwight Howard should be a major priority.  Having experts on medicine and analytics on the team would be useful, but it feels like something that should have been done a while ago to have value for this free agency period.

58 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

He probably could play for the Wizards this season.  Maybe not in the rotation, but he could make the team.  But I think I'd like to see him play in the G-League first.  We're reaching a point where Beal and Sato are our only experienced players, and Sato isn't that experienced in terms of NBA veterancy.  We're not going to be able to play defense with this group, and thus we're not going to be able to win.

I don't know what the answer is, but I don't want to throw next season away if the plan is to keep Beal.  We need to get some Danny Green type veteran free agents in the door.  I wish we had the money for Willie Cauley-Stein or DeAndre Jordan.  Some kind of rim protector and defensive anchor who could help us like Marc Gasol helped the Raptors.  But we've still got freaking 20 million dollars tied up in Mahinmi and Dwight.

Nerlens Noel anyone?

I don't think they plan for Schofield to play any minutes in the G-League.  He's got a fairly high pedigree and has improved each year.  He's already 22 and not as raw as Troy Brown was at this time. 

Grading the draft tonight is foolish. Zion is the only can't miss pick, and even sometimes those guys screw up.

Khawii Leonard was compared to Gerald Wallace coming out... and a ton of guys drafted high have never settled into an NBA rotation.

If someone could crack the NBA or NFL code they would be a FO genius... as it is... its up to these young men to work hard and join the league.

I am just happy Wizards didn't trade Bradley "Better than Ray Allen" Beal for these NBA draft magic beans....

5 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I don't know what to think about Bol any more.  I would have picked him at nine and it would have been a reach of 35 picks.  I would have reached for Brandon Clarke too.  The NBA draft is impossible for a layman to predict, so I try not to get too far with a man crush until we actually pick a guy.  But it does hurt to have passed on Clarke, I really liked that kid.

I don't think I was wrong about Bol's talent, but the combination of his character and health must have been a disaster.

Denver isn't scared of bringing in blue chip guys with really serious medical issues.  But I think Michael Porter is going to burn them.

I would have taken Robinson at 15 a year ago, and he’d have been worth it. As the draft went on, I wanted to trade up a spot for Porter, which wouldn’t have required much at all, and then bought an early round 2 pick & left with both Porter & Robinson. 

Bols injury concerns may may be more significant than we realize, but the draft is about boom/bust guys for teams like Washington, there is nothing worse than taking guys who can only be good enough to make the decision to resign them difficult. We grabbed a guy who specializes in the mid range game, which is the most useless talent in basketball. Neither guy we picked has much upside & both are over 21 years old... we are the worst team in the nba, we need talent... decent players are always available ...nba teams give average players away. We couldn’t have possibly done anything worse, imo.

4 hours ago, No Excuses said:

If Bol pans out, Denver’s front court with him and Jokic is going to be a nightmare for teams. Two bigs with floor vision and the ability to stretch out to the perimeter... 

Ugh good thing we got ourselves a real scrappy 6-4 small forward, who is so unskilled, that he’s projected as an “undersized” PF. 

Porter as well. Bright teams do bright things. We do Washington things.

4 hours ago, ixcuincle said:

Lol Cam Reddish sucks. Why yall Wizards fans so up in arms over this. Rui addresses a desperate need for a big man. 

Literally no one is “up in arms” over Reddish. Rui addresses nothing. 

3 hours ago, RonArtest15 said:

No kidding, that’s the reason they’re available, it’s something I pointed out repeatedly. The Wizards had an atrocious draft, there are 500 players who could start for this team today, that doesn’t make a guy a good pick at 9. Ridiculously naive, my friend.

Boom or bust prospects get us back in the top of the draft or out of mediocrity. We drafted guys who have the potential to be average, there is nothing worse than being average. You can’t build a contender drafting safe, solid, rotational, limited, low floor prospects.

2 hours ago, MEANDWARF said:

Two more SFs? What happened to a temporary replacement to Wall?

Liked what my local Atlanta Hawks did!

The Hawks crushed the process, again. 

2 hours ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

Fred Katz's post-draft podcast with Ben Standig is good.  Their take on the Wizard's draft was that it was fine.  I would characterize their feelings about Sheppard as cautiously optimistic.

Fred Katz went into more depth about how the Wizards are trying to use analytic information better.  He said they're trying to use it to make medical evaluations and predict durability.  

The 76ers weren’t concerned with durability & they nearly beat Toronto with their injury prone youngsters. You just grab talent, durability is a laughable measurement. We will be a durable #6 - #15 in the east for another decade. 

51 minutes ago, Fergasun said:

Grading the draft tonight is foolish. Zion is the only can't miss pick, and even sometimes those guys screw up.

Khawii Leonard was compared to Gerald Wallace coming out... and a ton of guys drafted high have never settled into an NBA rotation.

Grading the draft immediately is what conversation & forums are about. It’s entertainment, not a report to the nsa.

Wizads fans, overwhelmingly, wanted Washington to take Leonard. Every Wizards site had a poll, even the old espn boards, and Leonard was the fans pick on all of them. It’s not nearly as complicated as it seems. People would have been cynical if we had taken Giannis at 3, but he was the most talented prospect by far... just take the talent, every time.  

8 minutes ago, volsmet said:

I hope New Orleans has learned it’s lesson as well.

🤨

That's what we like to a call a perfect storm, not to mention how many of those assets came from the AD trade, not their attempt to tank.  Like Steve mentioned, we got leapfrogged multiple times in the lottery, the odds of getting the first pick are so small now I dont believe tanking to get the number overall pick is a feasible plan, New Orleans wasnt only one that tried to win the Zion sweepstakes.

7 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

That's what we like to a call a perfect storm, not to mention how many of those assets came from the AD trade, not their attempt to tank.  Like Steve mentioned, we got leapfrogged multiple times in the lottery, the odds of getting the first pick are so small now I dont believe tanking to get the number overall pick is a feasible plan, New Orleans wasnt only one that tried to win the Zion sweepstakes.

The path to a title is thin & it’s exclusively through elite talent. Toronto took a big risk trading for Leonard, they moved an all star to get an elite talent who had missed the previous season. The safe play wins nothing. 

N.O. tanked and gave themselves a shot. Memphis tanked, NY tanked and they got elite talent. Competing for the 7th seed is the most certain way to keep yourself out of contention. 

Winnimg the Zion sweepstakes happened because they gave themselves a shot by sitting a top 5 player in the nba ... and this draft was won by 3 teams, not 1. 

2 minutes ago, volsmet said:

The path to a title is thin & it’s exclusively through elite talent. Toronto took a big risk trading for Leonard, they moved an all star to get an elite talent who had missed the previous season. The safe play wins nothing. 

N.O. tanked and gave themselves a shot. Memphis tanked, NY tanked and they got elite talent. Competing for the 7th seed is the most certain way to keep yourself out of contention. 

Winnimg the Zion sweepstakes happened because they gave themselves a shot by sitting a top 5 player in the nba ... and this draft was won by 3 teams, not 1. 

We already calling these guys elite talent and they haven't played a game yet?  My point stands, if three teams "won" none of them were us.

8 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

We already calling these guys elite talent and they haven't played a game yet?  My point stands, if three teams "won" none of them were us.

Elite talent is objective. Yes. That doesn’t make them elite basketball players. The 3 at the top have proven they have elite talent & elite college production. 

Yes, your point is irrational.